• 168 results
Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

This is one of the most beautiful speeches I have ever heard. Whoever you are, man or woman, old or young, rich or poor I implore you to listen to these moving words. Take ten minutes out of your day and really listen to her message. It may change your life, or at least your viewpoint.

Emma Watson is absolutely correct when she identifies that it is not the word that matters, but the idea and the ambition behind it. I have never spoken these words before, but here it is; I am a feminist. I believe wholeheartedly in the ideals of gender equality. I believe without question in the inherent value we all possess regardless of gender. I believe that equality among men and women is not only the cause of women, but the cause of humanity. I believe that what strengthens women strengthens men as well. I believe that together, unified, is the only way that we can achieve such tremendous and worthwhile change. I believe in these things, and I have the ambition to spread the ideas of equality and I believe that many men out there agree with me.

So please, remember Emma's words Feminists. Remember that Feminism is about equality, not a struggle for power. Remember that there are men out there, men just like me who support the movement for women's rights. Remember that together we can achieve so much more than we can divided. Remember that when you say things like "All men are the same", or "Don't trust white men" it is counterproductive to the true message of feminism, and that doing such things alienates even the most open-minded and staunch supporters.

Emma's speech begins at the 31:00 minute mark.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By JakeN7

That's mah gurl! Will definitely give it a watch later.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I love her ;u;

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Wolverine008
No Caption Provided

:)

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

I stopped listening to good kid m.A.Ad City to listen to this speech...and I must say, it was very much worth it. The dialogue was amazing, and the way she delivered it was near flawless.

No Caption Provided

those_eyes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She would get the d.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By Pharoh_Atem
BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I stopped listening to good kid m.A.Ad City to listen to this speech...and I must say, it was very much worth it. T

There isn't much which can make me do that, so I'll give it a whirl.

Avatar image for The_Deathstroker
The_Deathstroker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By The_Deathstroker

....... Dammit. She won me over.

I was pretty certain you were crazy for calling it a speech of a lifetime, but after watching the video I can certainly say it was. The only thing that slightly tops it is Charlie Chaplin's Great Dictator speech.... Which is also a speech about equality.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Good speech but why not be a humanist?

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped listening to good kid m.A.Ad City to listen to this speech...and I must say, it was very much worth it. T

There isn't much which can make me do that, so I'll give it a whirl.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By KittyParker13

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

She's trying to bring up the original point of feminism. I'm sure she is a humanism as well, but that wasn't the point of her speech. Feminism is becoming a tainted word and she is showing that it is supposed to be equality between the genders, not one superior to the other.

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By laflux

Am I missing something here? She's saying what others have been saying for a long time.Granted its sound and well delivered, but I came here expecting a performance akin to Tyrion Lannister's speech to his father after being accused of being Joffrey's murderer. I was expecting the King's Speech. I was even expecting Maximus' dying words to the Rome after he killed emperor Commodus.

Quite frankly I'm underwhelmed.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Wolverine008

@laflux said:

Am I missing something here? She's saying what others have been saying for a long time.Granted its sound and well delivered, but I came here expecting Tyrion Lannister speech to his father after being accused of being Joffrey's murderer. I was expecting the King's Speech. I was even expecting Maximus' dying words to the Rome after he killed emperor Commodus.

No Caption Provided

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Cream_God

cant wait till 4 days 6 hours 47 minutes from ^now^

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I want to marry this woman...and make HER sandwiches.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any man who wants to prepare sandwiches for a woman isn't a man in the first place.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By legacy6364
No Caption Provided

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

@wolverine08: Nope, I'll put some meat between her buns and serve her well.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_stegman  Moderator

@wolverine08: I feel about Miss Watson the way you feel about Miss Dennings.lol

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman: And they say I'm a fanboy :D

Lunacyde and The Stegman are some sprung N!gga's when it comes to Emma Watson though

And I knew you'd pick up on the Gladiator Reference :P

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux: Let them have Watson. We have a queen in Dennings :)

Gladiator boys hold it down brah!

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 the_stegman  Moderator

@laflux: I'll admit it, I'm sprung like a Scooby-Doo trap.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@the_stegman said:

Any man who wants to prepare sandwiches for a woman isn't a man in the first place.

Coral_Wyvern would disagree.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#28 SC  Moderator

I liked it. That being said.

@laflux said:

Am I missing something here? She's saying what others have been saying for a long time. Granted its sound and well delivered, but I came here expecting a performance akin to Tyrion Lannister's speech to his father after being accused of being Joffrey's murderer. I was expecting the King's Speech. I was even expecting Maximus' dying words to the Rome after he killed emperor Commodus.

I also agree with this. Not only do I agree with this but I think specifically many articulate CV users have made posts with as much power, grace and validity, across various threads, just you know, they usually get lost among people disagreeing with each other without actually trying to understand each other, a bunch of users trying to be funny but failing and about 10 GIF's or memes that appear in threads over and over again. Its a great speech, on the other side I wish more attention was given to a lot of the posts made by CV users that cover the same ideas. Seen great posts about the topic by Razzatazz, Laflux, Bumpyboo, MrDeceptioconLeader, many, many others. Usually the attention is on posts that users find easiest to argue or refute. Low hanging fruit so to speak.

Mainly because its worth fighting for ideas rather than continually having to adopt a new name for the idea because some people decide to assert its something than what it was. I mean a Humanist right? Does that mean Humanists think non humans should be tortured and treated with cruelty and only humans deserve respect and consideration? Why be a Humanist when you can be an Animalist? Respect and consideration for all animals, even non intelligent ones? Then again does that mean that we shouldn't care about the Earth or Oceans? How about a Goodinist? As in being good? Well I don't, that sounds like its anti freedom, so how about we be Freedomlists instead? Why not be both? Why let people taint an idea and move to another just because it sounds more generically good for the time being until people invariably misunderstand it?

Their are usually historic and biological reasons why minorities including woman got unfair negative treatment, but thats not to say that by trying to address that imbalance the intent is to only benefit one gender, knowing why and how the imbalance exists and what balance means benefits everyone. Fastest way to make life better for so many third world areas plagued with poverty is to empower woman specifically. Usually things like the areas traditional, religious, societal norms and practices have woman essentially as baby makers and prizes for men, but studies have demonstrated that if you gave such places woman the same educational, and career opportunities as men, how many children they have and when is pushed back, when they do have children they are better educated and healthier, families are more stable, and that stability usually translates to areas workplace, economy, negative crime statistics lowers, positive health benefits rise. It applies to everyone. I mean in theory everyone should be empowered and educated, just in practice in these areas the fastest and most efficient way is to untangle the things that traditionally hold woman back. So its not really a gender thing per say, more like a science or logic thing about how to get different puzzle pieces to fit. Their are biological and cultural reasons why many males in first world countries don't get health checks as much as females, in oversimplified terms its because guys can have a lot more pressure to be stoic and strong, to go to a doctor and ask for help is weak. Hence if its understood that strength and stoicism isn't just for men, and that being mindful of your own health isn't a weakness, more people benefit. Hence why many desire more strong tough female fictional characters, but… well its more complicated than that.

Humanist, feminist, doesn't really matter to much, as far as people just wanted other people to be okay and healthy and well, the other thing about humans though that we also know because of studies, science, so on, most overestimate how reasonable they are. So we have people thinking they are being reasonable when they might not actually be. This is important to note because it means we still have a long way to go before people in general can legitimacy and sincerely disagree and agree with ideas in a way thats honest and accurate. I mean that's still quite rare, what's more common is that people will distort ideas they have an emotional dislike or suspicion towards in a way that makes it easier to discredit and criticize because that usually feels better. People still value feeling good more than they value intellectual transparency and dialogue. I don't really know any modern groups or labels that aren't opposed by others as much because of distorted ideas than taking the group's idea or ideology at its best and most valid.

Sorry long post, I just think you raise a very very good valid point and question and it deserved to be addressed. Even despite my relatively long post it really only scratches the surface of the subject. By the way I am not a feminist anymore, but I use to be, but I still think above applies.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By nefarious
No Caption Provided

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It's all well and good to talk a good game, but in practice, feminists don't act like that.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

@lunacyde: Thanks for sharing this.

edit: just to add as well that I agree with you about the slippery slope when painting an entire group with the same brush, be it gender or otherwise. Glad to have you identify as a fellow feminist.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

Just be a good person and not a f**kin scumbag. Treat everyone with respect, unless they show they don't deserve it. If someone is living their life in a way that doesn't harm others and makes them happy, then who cares?

I been saying the same things since I was a teenager, and like @laflux said it's not like she's brought in any new ideas or revolutionary concept. She's a bright girl, and one of few actors I respect, but I wasn't impressed by the content overall.

AfricanWilds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By AfricanWilds

Dear Emma Watson,

Make yourself familiar with the following set-up:

That's a good girl.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate 4chan. They're trying to shut her up by threatening to release nudes. It's disgusting.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Rouflex
No Caption Provided

No Caption Provided

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate 4chan. They're trying to shut her up by threatening to release nudes. It's disgusting.

I never thought of Emma Waston as the type of person to have nudes. Doesn't make me think less of her, just a bit suprising is all :P

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@laflux said:

@kittyparker13 said:

I never thought of Emma Waston as the type of person to have nudes. Doesn't make me think less of her, just a bit suprising is all :P

They might be fake. Either way, I hope it doesn't get her down.

Ostyo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Go make me a sandwich, Hermione.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all well and good to talk a good game, but in practice, feminists don't act like that.

Sexist.

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

She should holler at the US Womens Soccer team about that Hope Solo crap.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge said:

Sexist.

It's true. Nothing Emma Watson said was anything all that original.

People are just blowing a nut because she's a hot, famous actor.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Black_Arrow

Mehh I have seen far better speechs. That people should be searching for (If I had more time I would put some), to get a better idea of all of the concept and not just stay with her view of the concept.

BullPR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge:

F%CKING INSENSITIVE CHAUVINIST!

Don't really find her hot honestly. Not saying she's ugly or anything like that, but I wouldn't blow a load over her. I guess that's why mind can look at this speech fairly subjectively :D

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge:

Don't really find her hot honestly. Not saying she's ugly or anything like that, but I wouldn't blow a load over her. I guess that's why mind can look at this speech fairly subjectively :D

"BUT IT'S HERMOINE!!!!1!!!"

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@comicstooge:

IF KAT DENNINGS GAVE THIS SPEECH IT WOULD BE THE GREATEST OF ALL TIME!

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicstooge said:

@wolverine08 said:

@comicstooge:

NO ONE FINDS HER ATTRACTIVE BUT YOU.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08 said:

@comicstooge said:

@wolverine08 said:

@comicstooge:

NO ONE FINDS HER ATTRACTIVE BUT YOU.

LAFLUX, JAKEN7, WYLDSONG, ACIDSKULL, DRAGONBORNCT, and a few others all love her! WE HAVE REAL TASTE!