Eminem is overrated(do you agree or disagree)

• 117 results
Avatar image for 2muchspiteonthissite
2muchSPITEonTHISsite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Eminem is overrated(do you agree or disagree) (16 votes)

Yes 50%
No 81%

He is good(was better when he was motivated) but he is way to overrated, a lot of uninformed "rap fans" seem to like to proclaim em as the greatest rapper ever.....he is not in my opinion

Pac, Big, Nas....are all much higher on the G.O.A.T. list

(the reason i did not name too many people higher than em is because these few are almost indisputable)

mainly the people i see proclaiming em the G.O.A.T. are people who do not listen to much rap

em is great and done a lot in his career but he is for sure overrated by his fanboys

• 
russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I like his music but I'm able to admit that he is still a B!Tch

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

Hehe....

LAL. Based on what?

mainly the people i see proclaiming em the G.O.A.T. are people who do not listen to much rap

Same can be said with 2Pac and B.I.G.

em is great and done a lot in his career but he is for sure overrated by his fanboys

A ton of rappers are overrated by their fanboys. Not just Eminem.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Wolverine008

No.

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By your logic I guess Jay, Big, Nas, Pac are also overrated as well, cause they have also done a lot in their careers, and are praised by their fans just as much as Em's.

Avatar image for theamazingimmortalman
TheAmazingImmortalMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I don't think he is overrated at all.

2muchSPITEonTHISsite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hehe....

LAL. Based on what?

Same can be said with 2Pac and B.I.G.

A ton of rappers are overrated by their fanboys. Not just Eminem.

based on their music, flow, lyricism, bars, msg, how they effected rap

em's lyrics are mostly garbage....

go listen to big, pac, nas you will know who's better..and has the better msg in their songs

do i sense a bit of em fanboy in you...yes yes i do

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agreed, hes a sell out

2muchSPITEonTHISsite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

By your logic I guess Jay, Big, Nas, Pac are also overrated as well, cause they have also done a lot in their careers, and are praised by their fans just as much as Em's.

your comment does not make sense.... i never said em is overrated because he has fans lol

i said he is overrated and has 2 many fans for what he is...and the fans he has(at least the ones i have met) tend not to know much about rap

nice try on finding a flaw in my argument......"laughs condescendingly"

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No comment.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10 the_stegman  Moderator

He's aptly rated.

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Haven't heard much of him lately. What's the difference between being overrate, and people liking his music because it's good? I don't know about you but I don't say I like things I genuinely hate, the amount of fans he has speaks for itself. I may not understand him, but me not understanding doesn't mean it sucks

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Em is IMO the most gifted Rapper of all time- Though I can understand people picking guys like Jay-Z or Nas ahead of him.

Personally I think its fairly hard to overrate him, and people underhype elements of him which get pushed to one side....

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree he's extremely overrated.

DarthVxder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

His ealry work was legendary and that earned him the right to be considered the goat. While I believe BIG is better I still understand people that might think otherwise since its all based on opinion.

Em is not very good anymore but its alright because his legacy was made years ago with his big 3. Is he overrated? No. Is he the goat? Depends. Is he in the top 5 rappers of all time? Without a doubt.

My personal favs are BIG as #1 and then the rest dont have placing which are Em, Pac, Nas and Jay Z

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for digitalshooter9
DigitalShooter9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By DigitalShooter9
Nothing to do here...
Nothing to do here...

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Marshall_Long

@2muchspiteonthissite: Every rapper has fanboys, you can't call one rapper overrated because his fanboys call him the greatest. You should also call Jay Z, Drake, Lil Wayne, Pac, Big, Nas, etc I could go on. My point is came up with a better argument, right now it just sounds like you hate him.

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By ChillxPill

Eminem is not overrated, and he deserves the respect. Like Jay and Nas, Em. Is one of the best the grace the mic.

Along with the BBs and Everlast he has opened the door for many white rappers and has helped break the stereotype.

Like most hypebeast his fanboys tend to overrate him.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I don't feel he's overrated. But I know next to nothing of rap.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

I am of the opinion that Eminem is, indeed, overrated. He can rap fast (not a talent unique to him) and has some dark material (not a talent unique to him), but his greatest "selling point" is that he's basically a troll. Not enough to qualify him as the greatest rapper alive.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

I am of the opinion that Eminem is, indeed, overrated. He can rap fast (not a talent unique to him) and has some dark material (not a talent unique to him), but his greatest "selling point" is that he's basically a troll. Not enough to qualify him as the greatest rapper alive.

? There are several other components of Eminem's rap style that outshine his Shady persona if that's what you mean here.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

@scorpion2501 said:

I don't feel he's overrated. But I know next to nothing of rap.

Same here. But I have learned a lot about hip hop from Comic Vine, believe it or not (I guess that means I don't really know "next to nothing").

Tohoma

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes he is by some people but nonetheless he is still a good rapper. Much better than current artists.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e
deactivated-5e8a1f5fafc4e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Eminem has more than earned his reputation. If someone considers him one of the GOAT it's hardly far fetched.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

? There are several other components of Eminem's rap style that outshine his Shady persona if that's what you mean here.

His darkness is what put him on the map as an icon. When people talk about Eminem's great masterpieces they tend to talk about his darker songs and his self-aware vileness. I'm aware that there's more to his style than that.

Also, heya, long time no argue.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's all opinion, but If someone said they considered him to be one of the best, they'd probably have an easier time then proving he's not.

Avatar image for thatguywithheadphones
thatguywithheadphones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

Low-balling

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl said:

Low-balling

Likely. Not a fan of him personally.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Wolverine008

@joygirl:

His darkness is what put him on the map as an icon. When people talk about Eminem's great masterpieces they tend to talk about his darker songs and his self-aware vileness. I'm aware that there's more to his style than that.

There's nothing really wrong with that though. He's extremely good at horrorcore rap(Which the Slim Shady LP and Marshall Mathers LP attest to extremely well) Sure, he might not be the best horrocore rapper of all time(People like Big L probably deserve that title), but he's extremely good at it and has put somewhat of a unique flair on it with the whole creation of the Slim Shady persona. If anything, Em's Shady person gets him underrated because the average consumer only remembers things like him rapping about dumping his wife's body with his daughter in the car, ripping out Hilary Clinton's tonsils, etc., and misses out on the fact that his technical skill with things like rhyme density, creating flow through the use of consonants, multisyllabic rhymes, rhyme schemes, etc. are all deftly crafted.

Also, heya, long time no argue.

:)

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wolverine08: There are a lot of people with technical skills, though. There are even a great deal of extremely underrated rappers with a great deal of skill that don't get the credit Eminem gets, proving that style frequently takes precedence over substance. I said that he was a good rapper. I just see no reason for him to be the greatest rapper alive.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@2muchspiteonthissite:

based on their music,

Purely subjective.

flow,

2Pac's flow is nowhere near the level Eminem flow is. Delivery, maybe.

B.I.G. is probably the best flower off all-time though. I say Nas is a notch below Eminem in the flow department.

lyricism,

B.I.G. or 2Pac isn't touching Eminem lyrically. Nas is debatable, but I think Eminem is more technically skilled than him. While Nasir is the better poet.

bars,

Isn't the same as lyricism?

msg,

LAL.

how they effected rap

Eminem is a highly influential artist; he may not be as influential as the other 3, but he is still top 6 in that department probably.

em's lyrics are mostly garbage....

No Caption Provided

go listen to big, pac, nas you will know who's better..and has the better msg in their songs

UH-Huh.

do i sense a bit of em fanboy in you...yes yes i do

LAL.

Eminem isn't even in my top 5, personally. But I'm not about to call him overrated, because that's just my OPINION. He has a case for the G.O.A.T just as much Nas, Jay-Z, 2Pac, Kanye, etc does.

@laflux said:

@2muchspiteonthissite: Actually IIRC DCCR thinks Jay-Z is the G.O.A.T

You know me well. : )

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RetconCrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By RetconCrisis

Compared to his competition now, he's not overrated. Now saying he's the greatest rapper ever, that is a stretch. Sure he's up there, maybe by my scale in the top 8, but he's not THE greatest like some of his fanboys hype him up to be.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: Sure, they are indeed a lot of rappers boasting great technical skill, but even those rappers with incredible technical skill like Nas, Jay-Z, etc. have all heaped praise upon components of Em's technical capabilities like his flow, alliteration, etc. I can understand what you mean in that the shock value of Em's horrocore lyrics have made him popular moreso than his technical skill, but that's not really something unique to him. Almost all of rapper's biggest hits that make them popular don't showcase ridiculous technical skill so much as they are their catchiest songs. That's the nature of the music business really. Big selling records tend to put flash over substance, but when Em is focusing on substance, there aren't really that many rappers out there that can match his technical skill, which is why I don't find him overrated.

Juke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

No, I don't think he's overrated. He's rated pretty fairly in my opinion :P

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2muchSPITEonTHISsite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2muchspiteonthissite: Every rapper has fanboys, you can't call one rapper overrated because his fanboys call him the greatest. You should also call Jay Z, Drake, Lil Wayne, Pac, Big, Nas, etc I could go on. My point is came up with a better argument, right now it just sounds like you hate him.

do you know what overrated means? "have a higher opinion of (someone or something) than is deserved"

em has a lot of fanboys..who think he is the greatest even tho that is highly debatable...that is why he is overrated

em does NOT have the best flow, beats, bars, lyrics...that is my opinion

but you did not find a flaw in my argument...how is someone overrated without fanboys

you cant be overrated without people to overrate you.....

i never said jay z, drake, wayne were not overrated.....wayne and drake are severely overrated...jay z is a bit overrated but he has earned his place mostly

but what pac and nas did in the game is undeniable...they both have killer flow, lyrics...etc.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Joygirl
Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Agree. His daughter's hot, though.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Agree. His daughter's hot, though.

pics or she didn't happen

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dccomicsrule2011: Correct me if im wong but I've always thought of "bars" as the technical aspect of the lyrics written.

ChillxPill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joygirl: You've never seen a pic of his daughter?

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@chillxpill said:

@dccomicsrule2011: Correct me if im wong but I've always thought of "bars" as the technical aspect of the lyrics written.

Musically, a bar is how many beats is in one segment. In rap a bar is an entire rhyming line.

For instance, when Drake raps:

My flow is far from mediocre/

if we're talking cards then I'll fold them with the poker/

That is 2 rapping bars.

Joygirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Marshall_Long

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@2muchspiteonthissite: Em is not the only rapper with that has fanboys. Pretty much every successful rapper has fanboys, thats the flaw right there from what I'm seeing, what makes Eminems fanboys different from anyone other rappers fanboys? I'm not trying to insult you or anything.