Emerald City Comicon

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By minigunman123

I'm thinking of going in March, on Saturday. PATRICK STEWART WILL BE THERE!!! So will Scott Snyder, Jim Cummings, and other cool people! Autographs, pictures, comic books... Sounds amazing.

Thing is, I'm not sure what to expect; I've never been to a comic book convention. What should I expect to see and experience?

As well, I'm thinking of asking a young woman I've become attracted to (not just physically, I think she's an awesome person), to go with me; I would be buying her ticket of course, and it would be like a long date. What do you guys think? I don't think she's into comic books or superheroes or science fiction or anything like that, so she will probably refuse the offer, but would it be a nice gesture anyway, to ask her if she wants to come with me?

Lastly... If I go, should I post pictures/videos of me going and meeting cool people, on Comic Vine? :D

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Xanni15

Meeting The Patrick Stewart is worth the price of admission alone.

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By Esquire

@minigunman123 said:

I'm thinking of going in March, on Saturday. PATRICK STEWART WILL BE THERE!!! So will Scott Snyder, Jim Cummings, and other cool people! Autographs, pictures, comic books... Sounds amazing.

Thing is, I'm not sure what to expect; I've never been to a comic book convention. What should I expect to see and experience?

As well, I'm thinking of asking a young woman I've become attracted to (not just physically, I think she's an awesome person), to go with me; I would be buying her ticket of course, and it would be like a long date. What do you guys think? I don't think she's into comic books or superheroes or science fiction or anything like that, so she will probably refuse the offer, but would it be a nice gesture anyway, to ask her if she wants to come with me?

Lastly... If I go, should I post pictures/videos of me going and meeting cool people, on Comic Vine? :D

Wait, you're from around Seattle?

And I've totally been thinking about asking my not-really-into-comics-but-still-awesome-female-friend-I'm-interested-in to go to the ECCC with me. This is vaguely disturbing, Watson. If we weren't online at the same time, I'd be suspicious that you're actually me.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By minigunman123

@Esquire said:

@minigunman123 said:

Wait, you're from around Seattle?

And I've totally been thinking about asking my not-really-into-comics-but-still-awesome-female-friend-I'm-interested-in to go to the ECCC with me. This is vaguely disturbing, Watson. If we weren't online at the same time, I'd be suspicious that you're actually me.

... Is your name James in real life?

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Esquire

@minigunman123 said:

No. But it does start with 'J.' o.0

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By minigunman123

@Esquire said:

@minigunman123 said:

Scary. o.o

Well, maybe we should meet at the convention, Holmes! Long distance writing is fine, but this might be a unique opportunity..!

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Esquire

@minigunman123 said:

@Esquire said:

@minigunman123 said:

Scary. o.o

Well, maybe we should meet at the convention, Holmes! Long distance writing is fine, but this might be a unique opportunity..!

This is all so mad, so fast, so soon! I'm not sure I'm ready for that serious a partnership, Watson! Lol, I'll have to see if I can actually make it to the convention first. Are you going to school in Washington, or would you be commuting?

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By minigunman123

@Esquire said:

@minigunman123 said:

@Esquire said:

@minigunman123 said:

Scary. o.o

This is all so mad, so fast, so soon! I'm not sure I'm ready for that serious a partnership, Watson! Lol, I'll have to see if I can actually make it to the convention first. Are you going to school in Washington, or would you be commuting?

I attend college in Bremerton, so it wouldn't be too far for me. How about yourself?

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Esquire

@minigunman123: I go to college in Auburn, so I'm roughly half an hour from Seattle.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By minigunman123

@Esquire: Nice! I'm probably a couple hours away, but if I go by ferry, might only be... eh, ~40 minutes to the ferry, ~20 minutes on the ferry? Not sure.

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Esquire

@minigunman123: That sounds about right. I've been to Bremerton, but I couldn't tell you for sure how far it is from Seattle.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By minigunman123

@Esquire said:

@minigunman123: That sounds about right. I've been to Bremerton, but I couldn't tell you for sure how far it is from Seattle.

Holmes... Doesn't know something?

I must write this in my journal.

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Esquire

@minigunman123 said:

@Esquire said:

Curses, my secret's out. But I'll soon remedy this!

No Caption Provided
KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KnightRise

One tip: don't tell her that you bought her ticket, say you "had an extra ticket".

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#15  Edited By SavageDragon

Go for it man, sounds like a blast.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By minigunman123

@KnightRise said:

One tip: don't tell her that you bought her ticket, say you "had an extra ticket".

May I ask why? I know that people often do it this way, but I'm not sure why. I've never been on a date with someone, so I'm completely unaware of... everything.

@Esquire said:

@minigunman123 said:

@Esquire said:

Curses, my secret's out. But I'll soon remedy this!

No Caption Provided

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Esquire

@minigunman123 said:

@KnightRise said:

May I ask why? I know that people often do it this way, but I'm not sure why. I've never been on a date with someone, so I'm completely unaware of... everything.

Not that I'm a premiere ladies man or anything, but my two cents is that it's a way to avoid coming on too strong or looking desperate. If you have a ticket already, then naturally you don't want to let it go to waste. So "hey! What if you were the one to come with me?" But if you say "I bought you a ticket," then it could come across as assuming or overbearing, I guess.

But it really comes down to the person. If you know her well enough and she knows you're interested, then either way is probably fine. Personally, I'm probably going to invite my friend before buying tickets, since she knows I'm interested and I also don't accidentally end up with an unneeded ticket. But it really comes down to your specific situation.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By minigunman123

@Esquire said:

@minigunman123 said:

@KnightRise said:

Not that I'm a premiere ladies man or anything, but my two cents is that it's a way to avoid coming on too strong or looking desperate. If you have a ticket already, then naturally you don't want to let it go to waste. So "hey! What if you were the one to come with me?" But if you say "I bought you a ticket," then it could come across as assuming or overbearing, I guess.

But it really comes down to the person. If you know her well enough and she knows you're interested, then either way is probably fine. Personally, I'm probably going to invite my friend before buying tickets, since she knows I'm interested and I also don't accidentally end up with an unneeded ticket. But it really comes down to your specific situation.

Yeah, I actually was going to ask her, "would you wanna come to this with me," and then if she says sure, I'd say I'd get the ticket, get her the ticket and be like "tada! Taken care of!"

Would that seem overbearing as well?

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By KnightRise

@minigunman123 said:

@KnightRise said:

Just to rattle off a couple positives of the white lie:

-say the date angle falls flat, if you "just had an extra ticket" you can play any romantic failure off as purely platonic pal-time. In my experience, some girls feel like they're expected to reciprocate something when you pay and they tend to frown upon the implication...

-the fact that you pre-bought the ticket before she said yes can make you seem overconfident, or desperate, or somehow both. And a little creepy if you're just throwing money on a girl you're not dating.

-a comic con isn't a typical first date choice, especially for a girl who isn't into it. Saying that you already bought her ticket might lead to negative sympathy, like "aww thats so sweet but..."

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By minigunman123

@KnightRise said:

@minigunman123 said:

@KnightRise said:

Just to rattle off a couple positives of the white lie:

-say the date angle falls flat, if you "just had an extra ticket" you can play any romantic failure off as purely platonic pal-time. In my experience, some girls feel like they're expected to reciprocate something when you pay and they tend to frown upon the implication...

-the fact that you pre-bought the ticket before she said yes can make you seem overconfident, or desperate, or somehow both. And a little creepy if you're just throwing money on a girl you're not dating.

-a comic con isn't a typical first date choice, especially for a girl who isn't into it. Saying that you already bought her ticket might lead to negative sympathy, like "aww thats so sweet but..."

Read:

@minigunman123 said:

@Esquire said:

@minigunman123 said:

@KnightRise said:

Yeah, I actually was going to ask her, "would you wanna come to this with me," and then if she says sure, I'd say I'd get the ticket, get her the ticket and be like "tada! Taken care of!"

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Esquire

@minigunman123 said:

I pretty much agree with what KnightRise said, for the record. Anyway, that seems like a solid plan, although without knowing the girl and your relationship with her I can't really say for sure. I would say ask her if she wants to go, and offer to buy the ticket. I don't see any problems there. I'm assuming you two are already friends, so you probably know her at least somewhat well, right? Do you have any reason to think that wouldn't go over well? If you don't, then I don't see any problems with it.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By thespideyguy

@minigunman123: Cool! I met Patrick Stewart in Dallas. About the girl look at how she views you. If she is a friend then when your with her next time say," Hey, I have this extra ticket to the comic convention, would like to go with me? I asked (name a random friend) but he bailed."

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By minigunman123

@Esquire said:

@minigunman123 said:

I pretty much agree with what KnightRise said, for the record. Anyway, that seems like a solid plan, although without knowing the girl and your relationship with her I can't really say for sure. I would say ask her if she wants to go, and offer to buy the ticket. I don't see any problems there. I'm assuming you two are already friends, so you probably know her at least somewhat well, right? Do you have any reason to think that wouldn't go over well? If you don't, then I don't see any problems with it.

We're friends, very similar to each other, and I think she's been flirting a little bit with me, but I'm not 100% sure about that part. I don't think she would be upset if I bought her the ticket after I asked her and made sure she wanted to go.

@thespideyguy said:

@minigunman123: Cool! I met Patrick Stewart in Dallas. About the girl look at how she views you. If she is a friend then when your with her next time say," Hey, I have this extra ticket to the comic convention, would like to go with me? I asked (name a random friend) but he bailed."

What was Captain Picard like?! :D

Esquire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Esquire

@minigunman123 said:

We're friends, very similar to each other, and I think she's been flirting a little bit with me, but I'm not 100% sure about that part. I don't think she would be upset if I bought her the ticket after I asked her and made sure she wanted to go.

Sounds to me like it would be fine, then! And I don't see any reason that anyone would be upset about you buying the ticket if you'd already asked them.

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By thespideyguy

@minigunman123 said:

@Esquire said:

@minigunman123 said:

@thespideyguy said:

When he signed my Next Generation box set then, I told him thank you and walked away. He told me to come and personalized it.

minigunman123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By minigunman123

@thespideyguy said:

@minigunman123 said:

@Esquire said:

@minigunman123 said:

@thespideyguy said:

When he signed my Next Generation box set then, I told him thank you and walked away. He told me to come and personalized it.

I'm going to have him sign my Enterprise-E toy that has sound effects and crap...

<3

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3