#1 Edited by Racob7 (6087 posts) - - Show Bio

Elephants are not animals, they are capable of culture and even representative art. An Elephant was given a brush, canvas, and various paints and drew a picture of an Eelephant holding a flower in it's trunk. The lines were darker in certain areas representing shadows and the thickness of the trunk. The flower was green with red petals, and the leaves were shaped to look more natural. The trunk even had a curl where it grasped the flower. other works of art by elephants have shown perspective and shading. Elephant art is in some cases more advanced than early human cave paintings.

Elephants have also been known to mourn their dead, even showing rituals they preform every time they find bones of a dead loved one. This shows even more intelligence, and also self awareness and understanding of death. Elephants seem to be capable of deep emotions, unlike any other animal on Earth.

This is just a sample of what these creatures are capable of. There's no question now. Elephants are not animals any more, perhaps they never were and we just weren't paying attention. This is an intelligent species with a culture and traditions completely separate from mankind. I think Elephants may even have a language. Elephants have been proven to have incredible memory, so they wouldn't necessarily need any written language. The written word isn't even a very old invention, in fact we've only had it for a few thousand years. All Elephants would need would be a simple language of noises or body gestures. They may even have oral history and stories, we can't be sure.

If this is true, and it's very likely it is, poachers are not just illegal hunters but murderers. I believe we should look into this further and see how intelligent these creatures really are so we can learn to communicate and live with them. I can't fully express the awe I feel right now.

Next time you see an Elephant, remember what it really is.

Racob has spoken

#3 Posted by Racob7 (6087 posts) - - Show Bio

@citizenbane: Well excuse me mister technical! But seriously, Elephants are cool.

#4 Edited by henrik (562 posts) - - Show Bio

Elephants are elephants

nothings going to change that

#5 Posted by laflux (17548 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7 said:

Elephants are not animals, they are capable of culture and even representative art. An Elephant was given a brush, canvas, and various paints and drew a picture of an Eelephant holding a flower in it's trunk. The lines were darker in certain areas representing shadows and the thickness of the trunk. The flower was green with red petals, and the leaves were shaped to look more natural. The trunk even had a curl where it grasped the flower. other works of art by elephants have shown perspective and shading. Elephant art is in some cases more advanced than early human cave paintings.

Elephants have also been known to mourn their dead, even showing rituals they preform every time they find bones of a dead loved one. This shows even more intelligence, and also self awareness and understanding of death. Elephants seem to be capable of deep emotions, unlike any other animal on Earth.

This is just a sample of what these creatures are capable of. There's no question now. Elephants are not animals any more, perhaps they never were and we just weren't paying attention. This is an intelligent species with a culture and traditions completely separate from mankind. I think Elephants may even have a language. Elephants have been proven to have incredible memory, so they wouldn't necessarily need any written language. The written word isn't even a very old invention, in fact we've only had it for a few thousand years. All Elephants would need would be a simple language of noises or body gestures. They may even have oral history and stories, we can't be sure.

If this is true, and it's very likely it is, poachers are not just illegal hunters but murderers. I believe we should look into this further and see how intelligent these creatures really are so we can learn to communicate and live with them. I can't fully express the awe I feel right now.

Next time you see an Elephant, remember what it really is.

Racob has spoken

To be fair I was aware of this, and I remember hearing of a smart fellow who thought that Great Ape Personhood should be extended to Elephants as well :P

#6 Posted by The Stegman (25980 posts) - - Show Bio

They're still animals, just smart animals, like dolphins or humans.

#7 Edited by Referee (8209 posts) - - Show Bio

They also eat poop

#8 Posted by TifaLockhart (14157 posts) - - Show Bio

An elephant can be whatever he or she wants to be when he or she grows up.

#9 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (6456 posts) - - Show Bio

I like elephants

#10 Posted by wildvine (10367 posts) - - Show Bio

They're still animals, just smart animals, like dolphins or humans.

#11 Edited by BumpyBoo (10618 posts) - - Show Bio

Elephants can be ANYTHING!

#12 Posted by Squares (8392 posts) - - Show Bio

@racob7:

an·i·mal

noun

\ˈa-nə-məl\

: a living thing that is not a human being or plant

: any living thing that is not a plant

Nope, Elephants are still animals. Props for an interesting post, though.

#13 Edited by PowerHerc (85335 posts) - - Show Bio

Elephants are still animals.

#14 Posted by PotatoOfDoom (491 posts) - - Show Bio

Elephants FTW!

#15 Posted by King Saturn (225088 posts) - - Show Bio

Mr. Snuffleupagus approves this Message...

#16 Posted by Samimista (21009 posts) - - Show Bio

Tree Trunks approves!

#17 Posted by KaijuKingGojira (1414 posts) - - Show Bio

Every living organism including trees are animals.

#18 Posted by joshmightbe (24695 posts) - - Show Bio

They are still animals, that's no insult though, humans are animals too. All multi-cellular organisms that aren't plants are technically animals.

#19 Posted by russellmania77 (15808 posts) - - Show Bio

IM A BEAST IN THE PAINT SON

#20 Edited by Deadite (25132 posts) - - Show Bio

It's interesting until they learn how to talk. Then they won't shut up.

#21 Posted by thespideyguy (2650 posts) - - Show Bio

This is extremely Irrelephant.