Electoral College: Does Every Vote Really Count?

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By pooty

Why are we still using the Electoral College? Would you prefer to use popular vote to pick the President? Do you think 4yrs is long enough for a term? Should a term be 6yrs or 8yrs?

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By Blood1991

The Electoral College was set up to keep us from voting in someone like Paris Hilton if education in our country ever went completely down hill and since education in our country is currently rather sucky we maybe relying on them within the next twenty years or so. As for terms four years is a good number in my opinion.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ssejllenrad

I really don't get this Electoral vs Popular vote kinda deal... I'm not American...

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#4  Edited By agent9149

@Blood1991: There is good education in America, you just have to follow the money (which alot of Americans don't have)

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By PowerHerc

The Electoral College is a fail-safe against mass stupidity (such as voting in Paris Hilton, Kim Kardashian, etc.)

The other problem isn't the term-length, it's the campaign length due to the donors and the money/power at stake.

_Black

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By _Black

No, every electoral college vote doesn't count. Some entire states don't even count. The electoral college was a good idea at one point in time but now I somewhat think it's antiquated. It did save us from Al Gore, but Bush wasn't much better.

agent9149

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By agent9149

The electoral votes fail when the electoral voter is bias rather than being fair and making an impartial vote based on the leaning of the popular vote of the state. ex. if the whole state votes for obama, they shouldn't give it to Romney.

Blood1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Blood1991

@Agent9149 said:

@Blood1991: There is good education in America, you just have to follow the money (which alot of Americans don't have)

I find it sad that because a child is born in a household with less income they are not given the same opportunities for education as someone born in a high income home, but that is simply the world we live in I suppose.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@ssejllenrad said:

I really don't get this Electoral vs Popular vote kinda deal... I'm not American...

Same here.

In the UK they serve for 5 years.