Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) 5 months, 13 days ago

Poll: Easier for a Guy or Girl to get a job these days? (21 votes)

Guys have an easier time 14%
Girls have an easier time 33%
Both equally have as good or bad a chance at getting or not getting a job 29%
Neither(for those who love to vote neither in every poll) 24%

Curious, anyone here ever rejected or accepted due to your gender? (which is wrong and considered gender discrimination and bias) but it's happened to me, once I went to apply at subway not far from me, and they indian guy tells me "sorry, only girls....hire only girls" lol I could have complained, but figured it wouldn't have done jack.

Some of my friends both guys and girls, have gone for waiter and waitress jobs and told me they've gotten hired for them being "hot" cause they're chicks, where as my guy friends have said they had to really impress them, go through job references etc.

Is this fair?

Reason why I'm posting is I'm planning on going back to school shortly since jobs suck right now(I have worked before though for few companies, FYE, Costco, Picture people among few others some of them cool jobs like being an usher for a ball Yankee teams :) that was badass. Anyway, point is recently I got into a debate with a female friend of mine who claimed "women still aren't considered equal to men in the job world" I called this bs and she got little fiesty. Then we just agreed to disagree, but ultimately agreed that it depends on the job and interviewer.

I mean I did have one job once where I hooked up two of my friends for a long time, and my boss(at the time) had the hots for one of my friends(she was a cougar) lol this was while ago, my friend and I were 19 at the time.

So, discuss? Thoughts? Are Men and Women really considered equal with jobs now?

#1 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5528 posts) - - Show Bio

It can really depend on the job.

#2 Posted by Joygirl (18823 posts) - - Show Bio

Is the girl hot?

#3 Edited by Jonez120 (3669 posts) - - Show Bio

Jobs that are easier to achieve depending on gender

Female- Actress, Stripper, Hooker

Male- Everything else...

(Jk)

#4 Posted by cattlebattle (12602 posts) - - Show Bio

My life long desire to be the 6th Spice Girl always has fallen short due to my gender. Sigh, one day there will be equality within the Spice ranks, one day.

#5 Posted by Pyrogram (35149 posts) - - Show Bio

Neither...

#6 Posted by Jonez120 (3669 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle: My fantasy of banging all Spice Girls at once has just been demolished by the likes of you....

You'll regret this day!!!!!

#7 Posted by cattlebattle (12602 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonez120 said:

@cattlebattle: My fantasy of banging all Spice Girls at once has just been demolished by the likes of you....

Never!! I regret nothing.

#8 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Posted by Saint_Wildcard (9322 posts) - - Show Bio

A huge rack goes great on your resume.

#10 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@joygirl said:

Is the girl hot?

My friend? Yes, she's a model and waitress lol. She no doubt has little trouble (she's even been offered adult stuff if you know what I mean) but turned it down. I dont' believe a guy can get those offers that easily imo.

#11 Posted by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

neither since jobs are going to the illegals.

#12 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@jonez120 said:

As awesome as that would be for any straight guy, you think you'd survive that? lol But I just like Victoria, Sporty and the redhead lol. Although baby spice had a killer bod i admit ;)

#13 Posted by MaccyD (3587 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends, more physical-based jobs are balanced towards males while more charismatic/caring jobs are balanced towards women.

#14 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: So you believe it depends on the job? Interesting. Although when I was at Costco, believe it or not they had trained the girls to do stock and guys to do register, at mine anyway. Two women even did the stock lifter thing(which you need a license for)

#15 Posted by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

@maccyd: So you believe it depends on the job? Interesting. Although when I was at Costco, believe it or not they had trained the girls to do stock and guys to do register, at mine anyway. Two women even did the stock lifter thing(which you need a license for)

when i worked at both walmart and target only females were allowed to be cashiers. all the guys did the trucks or carts

#16 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@vaeternus said:

when i worked at both walmart and target only females were allowed to be cashiers. all the guys did the trucks or carts

Yeah, most targets and walmarts are like that. Costco's do something called "cross training" where nobody is exempt from a duty(unless you have a damn good reason a la medical, disability etc)

#17 Posted by TazzMission (5488 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission said:

@vaeternus said:

Yeah, most targets and walmarts are like that. Costco's do something called "cross training" where nobody is exempt from a duty(unless you have a damn good reason a la medical, disability etc)

walmart was a freaking nightmare. i remember i think my 2 month there i was doing the carts and some jackass wasnt looking where he was going and side swiped me in the lot. luckly i didnt go down but i did almost punch out his window. i was lucky enough to have most of managment out there witnessing it. i tried getting dudes info and he just leaves.

also they treat there workers like crap. my one buddy in his mid 30s had a doctors note talking about his heart attack and they still made him work electronics. they just dont care

#18 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission: lol that sounds rought, I knew a friend who worked there said it sucked....especially around the holidays. I used to work at FYE, that place was horrible! lol they all closed down near me lol

#19 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

So anyone else?

#20 Edited by Xaa (313 posts) - - Show Bio

It easier for girls.

I go to job apply with friends, girl they want to interview not me. Job was vendor.

#21 Edited by Bushwhacker_ (576 posts) - - Show Bio

Eh, it's according to what the job is. Girls probably have better chance at getting office jobs, at restaurants, etc... While guys have a better chance with more physical jobs such as construction, and other manual labor jobs.

So...ah voted for both have equal chances.

#22 Posted by Bruxae (12670 posts) - - Show Bio

I think sometimes people prefer to hire a girl over a boy but usually the people who do that sort of thing also expects personal things from the girl, so its kind of a double edged sword. This probably happens to men too, just not nearly as often.

I think men (boys) have an easier time finding a proper well payed job without unrealistic expectations, atleast when the boss is a bit older and set in his ways.

#23 Posted by Jayc1324 (9936 posts) - - Show Bio

I picked neither. Although there are a lot of variables. Some jobs are better suited for men and some for women. And then there's the factor of how attractive the girl is. But they seem to balance each other out. But the only thing that should actually matter is how prepared/educated the person is for the job.

#24 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae said:

I think sometimes people prefer to hire a girl over a boy but usually the people who do that sort of thing also expects personal things from the girl, so its kind of a double edged sword. This probably happens to men too, just not nearly as often.

I think men (boys) have an easier time finding a proper well payed job without unrealistic expectations, atleast when the boss is a bit older and set in his ways.

Interesting post :)

#25 Posted by russellmania77 (14624 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends who has bigger boobs

#26 Posted by swordmasterD (1842 posts) - - Show Bio

neither

because when people fail at getting a job they blame sexism

#27 Posted by Orician_Seis (480 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends...applying for Hooters or McDonalds makes the difference

#28 Edited by AllStarHit-Girl (543 posts) - - Show Bio

G1RL5, C@U53 B00B135.

#29 Posted by CF12793 (2945 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it has more to do with the right look and less to do with the gender. One time I applied for a job as a Waiter at a really classy restaurant that had just opened. I waited for about 45 minutes for an interview, while the more handsome and attractive guys who came in after I did were interviewed first. When I finally was approached by the manager for an interview, he sort of looked me up and down and said, "Yeah, we're probably going to close down soon. I can give a 2 minute interview though." (Mind you, all of the other guys were interviewed for like 15 minutes each) and it was basically the most awkward thing imaginable. I was courteous and friendly, but he treated me like a bridge troll. I wouldn't have wanted to work there anyway.

From my experience, job hunting will go well if A.) You're in the right mindset B.) You have confidence. C.) Look as if you already work there or have worked there.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

#30 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7595 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking for a job sucks.

#31 Posted by Stevens61310 (181 posts) - - Show Bio

I am closer to retirement than getting my first job but make no mistake about it--it is easier for a female to get a job than a male

#32 Edited by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

swordsman, I don't I blame Obama and the crappy economy lol.

@russellmania77 said:

Depends who has bigger boobs

lol exactly, sadly some places will hire people due to shallow reasons. I've seen it at various job interviews or group ones lol.

#33 Edited by RogueShadow (10048 posts) - - Show Bio

I once hired a woman because she was hot.

#34 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

So, did she actually do a good job? Cause I knew a boss once who did the same thing, girl was a flake lol and fired her a month in...lol