• 80 results
Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

What's the stupidest inspirational qoute you've come across? Mine sounded something like "You don't have to be perfect to inspire people. Let people become inspired by dealing with your imperfections." Straight outta Tumblr...

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#2 BumpyBoo  Moderator

Almost all of them.

"It's better to regret something you didn't do than something you did." Says someone who never did something terrible and had to live with it. Applying that logic makes it okay to do pretty much anything, because it's better than wondering... O_o

"The only person you should try to be better than is you." Them's some low standards. If you're striving to improve yourself, I say go all out. What if you suck? Be a bit less sucky is hardly something great to aspire to.

Ugh, and that terrible "if you can't handle me at my worst" one that girls always post on Facebook. Translated: I'm a freaking nightmare, and I don't plan on changing because it is part of the fabulous tapestry that is me, so get used to it.

black_wreath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 109

"Don't worry, be happy" means well but, as advice, is extremely unhelpful.

"Giving 110%" is mathematically impossible.

"Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get", wrong, you know exactly what you're going to get - it is clearly labelled on the back of the box. Nobody would buy a box of chocolates if they didn't know what they were going to get, there could be allergens in them.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

How can mirrors be real, if our eyes aren't real?

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Subjective really.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

"Imagination is more important than intelligence", only applies to people high on meth.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By DBVSE7

@bumpyboo: I posted that on my Facebook.. I couldn't stop laughing at this.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DBVSE7

@mandarinestro: In some cases that CAN be true.

Imagine if our greatest inventors in history never had imagination.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Mandarinestro

@dbvse7: Correction: in fewer cases than most. The appropriate statement should be "imagination is more important than intelligence, provided that the individual is able to operate with common sense."

Mentally retarded people, like those born near Chernobyl, may have great imagination but more than likely will never be able to express it in life.

Edit: then imagine if our inventors were mentally retarded.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Mandarinestro

@dbvse7: And you edited your post before I replied.

I find you to be ignorant of the number people who use this quote as an excuse to drop out of universities and get straight F's in high school.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandarinestro: But they're not, soo again you're just pointing out the obvious.

Because those who dropout can't be successful?

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mandarinestro

@dbvse7: Nice. Ignoring parts of my post because you couldn't counter it and followed by a strawman.

So you're saying that if Einstein was mentally retarded he would be able to enter some MIT level university (during his time) since he's got a great imagination? Or if Edison had Down's syndrome he would be able to patent over 1000 inventions with his imagination?

No, I was saying that people who say "Who cares about grades I have imagination" then drop out are stupid. Bill Gates had his business up and running BEFORE he dropped out and not just his imagination, same with Steve and Mark.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandarinestro: Please read up.. did I type ANYTHING that was related to the point of your question? You already answered your own question anyway.

You should have just said that instead of saying, "I find you to be ignorant of the number people who use this quote as an excuse to drop out of universities and get straight F's in high school."

I don't support that idea first off, and secondly I never hinted at the idea.

To all those names you just mentioned, do you believe they would be where they are without having an imagination? Sure they were intelligent, but do you really think they would have a reason to be or use it without an imagination?

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Mandarinestro

@dbvse7: I believe imagination is required to be successful in life but it is equally important as intelligent. You were ASSUMING that I hold intelligence to be more important than intelligence to an astronomical degree, yes? I never said imagination is unimportant :P

Then again I told you to imagine a scenario and you replied "but they're not", so why can't I reply to your scenario with "but they're not"?

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DBVSE7

@mandarinestro: Not really, I just think Imagination is more important to degree. Simply because without one there's no point of the other.

imagination is the first step to success, and applying what you know through learning and experimenting is how you make success a reality. Intelligence is important, but it's useless in the hands of someone who has no purpose, or goal to achieve.

Just like imagination is useless if you don't plant on expressing it, or simply can't. But, at the end of the day, imagination comes first.

Your question is a moot point.. you already answered it.

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"God always has a plan"...

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7 said:

imagination is the first step to success, and applying what you know through learning and experimenting is how you make success a reality. Intelligence is important, but it's useless in the hands of someone who has no purpose, or goal to achieve.

And imagination is useless in the hands of those unable to express their creativity, such as mentally disabled people. Argumentum ad ignorantiam much?

Your question is a moot point.. you already answered it.

So you are free to ignore my arguments and I am not?

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandarinestro: I said that.. but imagination comes first. I've answered your question even when you answered it yourself. We both know this..

I didn't ignore, and it's still a moot point because it doesn't matter if they did.. point is they don't.

The only things that matter are -

1. Are they intelligent? (Yes)

2. Are they able to use their intelligence? (Yes)

3. Did they use their intelligence? (Yes)

4. Did they have a reason to use their intelligence? (Yes because they had an imagination.)

5. Do they have an imagination? (Yes, or else they wouldn't be in the position they're in.)

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Mandarinestro

@dbvse7: No, you asked me to do this and I asked you to do the same but you deflected it.

"Imagine if all our inventors did not have imagination."

I replied: "Imagine if all our inventors were brain damaged"

(Key word: imagine)

You replied: "But they're not brain-damaged."

I replied: "But they're not unimaginative"

You replied: "Moot point."

Wut?

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By DBVSE7

@mandarinestro: You already answered the question.. that's why I didn't reply to it.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

@dbvse7: @mandarinestro: I think the actual quote might be "Imagination is more important than knowledge" which would make more sense as imagination is a part of intelligence so can't really be more important than intelligence.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedandyman: You don't need to be intelligent to have an imagination..

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

Be yourself --- literally the worst advice you could ever give in some cases

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By TheDandyMan

@dbvse7: The definition of intelligence is "the ability to acquire and apply knowledge and skills". Being imaginative is about being able "to be creative or resourceful". Being creative and resourceful would strongly help you to apply knowledge and skills. I think the problem is, we associate intelligence too much with academia. A great musician would be intelligent because they can apply their knowledge of music to make their own songs using creativity. At least, that's my view.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Mandarinestro

@dbvse7: Explain. In which part did I answer it?

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thedandyman: I do not associate intelligence with academia. In my post to DBVSE I repeatedly showed that I define intelligence as being able to acquire and apply knowledge, that's why I said a kid born brain damaged isn't very intelligent.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

That you shouldn;t regret anything you've done and that you should only continue moving forward..... Stupidest thing I've ever heard.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By DBVSE7

@mandarinestro: You: "Imagine if all our inventors were brain damaged"

You again: "Mentally retarded people, like those born near Chernobyl, may have great imagination but more than likely will never be able to EXPRESS IT in life."

We know you need intelligence to EXPRESS it.. you don't need intelligence to HAVE it.. and at the same time you need an imagination to have a reason to be and/or use your intelligence.

Avatar image for deactivated-611928878d365
deactivated-611928878d365

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Anything said by Jaden Smith. Luckily he's off Twitter now... Good thing too, I would've shot him if he kept yammerin' on about gibberish.

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandarinestro: Wasn't talking about you, I mean some people in general.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dbvse7: And where exactly did I say you have to be intelligent to have imagination?

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Mandarinestro

@dbvse7: Then why tag me? :P

Your last comment didn't explain what I asked for btw, you said it yourself.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DBVSE7

@mandarinestro: It's a response.. I forgot to tag someone else.

What exactly are you asking for then because I responded to to this statement plenty of times

"I replied: "Imagine if all our inventors were brain damaged"

And this one.. "Imagine if all our inventors were brain damaged"

You again: "Mentally retarded people, like those born near Chernobyl, may have great imagination but more than likely will never be able to EXPRESS IT in life."

Avatar image for marcus_halberstram
Marcus_Halberstram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All of them.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@bumpyboo said:

Almost all of them.

"It's better to regret something you didn't do than something you did." Says someone who never did something terrible and had to live with it. Applying that logic makes it okay to do pretty much anything, because it's better than wondering... O_o

"The only person you should try to be better than is you." Them's some low standards. If you're striving to improve yourself, I say go all out. What if you suck? Be a bit less sucky is hardly something great to aspire to.

Ugh, and that terrible "if you can't handle me at my worst" one that girls always post on Facebook. Translated: I'm a freaking nightmare, and I don't plan on changing because it is part of the fabulous tapestry that is me, so get used to it.

those some good quotes, well maybe except the middle one. But you should always inspire to be your best. I really do like the first one, because it is some of the things you should have done that you will regret, I can relate to that. This is from one of my favorite poems named Maud Miller "For of all sad words of tongue or pen, The saddest are these: 'It might have been!'" --John Greenleaf Whittier. It speaks to how when you get older and look back on the things you should have done when younger, the chances you never took for love, the place you didn't visit. There's so much to do, yet we experience so little of it. I might cringe at the thoughts of something terrible I did or said once, but it doesn't really compare to the things you didn't do.

For the last one, no one's perfect, people have their dark days, and if you can't handle them at their worst then you don't deserve them at their best. Girls might misuse that on facebook as an excuse to be a b-i-t-c-h, but that's not what the quote means. I have my own problems, sleep disorder, depressive tendencies, etc... But I'm still a good person.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ccraft

People can say stupid stuff, but there isn't a dumb inspirational quote. You might not understand it or relate to it, but there's someone out there who it speaks to.

"It is good to love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is well done."

Vincent van Gogh

Avatar image for thespiritstalker
TheSpiritStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41  Edited By TheSpiritStalker

If it bleeds, we can kill it.

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 50

@bumpyboo said:

TheDandyMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo said:

This is truth. Also, I find it's often that same girl who will share a bunch of pictures with "This is so deep" commented on them. Firstly, if it's actually deep then why do I have to be told it's deep and secondly, it's hardly ever that deep.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

#44 BumpyBoo  Moderator

@ccraft: @wildvine: @thedandyman:

*nods* See, now this is exactly why I have such a strong dislike for them. They are, by their very nature, vague and easy to misinterpret or misapply. Very easy to take and use out of context. A lot of these quotes do have merits and make salient points, but there is usually also a counter argument to be made because they tend to rely on generalisations and over simplification - there is after all only so much you can say in a short, snappy quote, and they shouldn't really be taken as a cogent argument or used as a subsitute for one.

I'm not saying there isn't a time and a place for them, that in the right circumstance a good quote can't express a thought or opinion in a relevant and concise manner. And of course, there is a lot to be learned from the wisdom of others. A soundbite on an issue can develop into a fully fledged discussion, and serve as a jumping off point into an exploration of broader ideas.

BUT I guess what I'm talking about when it comes to my contempt for the overuse of quotes is people all too often use it as a form of shorthand to convey to others how deep and thoughtful intellectual they are instead of putting the effort into expressing themselves in a more organic and honest way. In that light it becomes contrived and pretentious. I prefer to listen to someone explain themselves in their own words, even if it takes longer and comes out a little clumsier. At least it is what THEY think, and the person has taken the time to actually explore their own opinion somewhat. Plus having to put something into your own words encourages you to consider your argument in a certain way, and can be beneficial in terms of being able to examine and evaluate the subject, and truly get to grips with what it is you really believe.

Someone else's opinion pasted on top of a picture isn't the same as thinking, you know? :/

Straight-Fire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Can't think of any.

Yours truly, Frosty

TheSpoiler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

"Just remember that someone has to lose. So don't be upset if it's you."

waezi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#47  Edited By waezi2

@thecowwasdelirious: If a dog and a dolphin can get along, why can't our mom and his dad?

There's a word we use. Everyone who's ever served as an Avenger, we've spoken that word. Hell, it's a competition to say it. To shout it. Because it isthat sacred to what we are and what we do. And that word is Assemble. When we come together, we're stronger than when we stand apart. That's what it's alwaysbeen about. We come together to fight what can't be fought alone. To defeat those things in the world that would drag us down. That would make us lesser. Those things no single hero can withstand. And by we? I mean all of us. When we make the effort to help those who need us--to help each other, to be there for each other--we are all Avengers. You are Avengers. Waaay too many words used in an attempt to find a new way to say "united we are strong."

I would also say "If you can change, and I can change, everyone can change!" but it's only stupid because Rocky said it.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bumpyboo: Well I like them vague, if they weren't so vague it would probably be harder to relate to one. Quotes can also help people with their problems, if you explain them in a way that they too can have a personal connection with it. I think that's the best way to use quotes. You can use them by sharing an important event in your own life, like in the movie Wild Starring Reese Witherspoon.

I do agree that posting quotes by themselves is pretty meaningless and a bit pseudo-intellectual.

ComicStooge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

comicace3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1