#1 Posted by Death Certificate (5438 posts) - - Show Bio

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2012...-chickens?lite

Quote:

A man wandering around a Delmar, Md., poultry farm in a drunken stupor turned off the power to three chicken houses, causing the deaths of nearly 70,000 chickens, sheriff’s officials said.

The property owner who made the grisly discovery found the man, identified as Joshua D. Shelton, 21, of Delmar, Md., passed out on the floor of the power control shed, wearing only a T-shirt and boxer shorts.

“This subject was also lying in a pool of his own urine. A strong odor of alcohol was also coming from the subject,” Wicomico County sheriff’s Lt. Tim Robinson said in a press release.

The investigating deputy awakened the man.

“Shelton advised the last thing he remembered was being on the property after a nearby concert but did not know how he ended up in the shed. The deputy surmised that in his intoxicated state, Shelton turned off the circuit breakers that controlled the electricity to the chicken houses,” Robinson said.

Shelton was arrested and booked into jail on charges of second-degree burglary, trespass and malicious destruction of property.

The property owner discovered the dead chickens Saturday morning. He told investigators that without power, the chickens will begin to die within 15 minutes. The birds, which were due to be delivered to a local processing plant the following day, were valued at $20,000.

Allen Farms, which was going to process the birds, estimated its loss at $220,000, said sheriff's Chief Deputy Gary Baker.

Shelton had been at the owner's property the previous evening with a group of people that included the owner’s daughter, Baker said.

“The daughter thought he left, but instead he wandered into the shed where all the power controls and breakers were and turned it off,” Baker told NBC News on Tuesday.

"Quite frankly, he was probably in a condition where he really didn’t know what he was doing,” Baker said.

"The theory is that he may have been in there looking for a light switch," Robinson told DelmarvaNow.com.

Baker said he’s heard of flocks of chickens dying due to natural occurrences such as drought and heat waves, "but never anything like this manmade that we can remember.”

Bill Satterfield, executive director of Delmarva Poultry Industry Inc., a local trade group, said he was surprised by news of the poultry caper.

"I have never heard of a drunkard going in and killing chickens," he told DelmarvaNow.com. "This is a new one on me, and it's unfortunate that it occurred."
#2 Edited by mfundo (1622 posts) - - Show Bio

Thought you meant as 70, 000 human beings. Though I do feel sorry for the chickens, they could've been KFC. What a jerk.

#3 Posted by utotheg38 (18883 posts) - - Show Bio

>________>

LOL

#4 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

How do chickens die within 15 minutes without electricity?

"That's a question you should ask yourself, Megatron..." -Prime

#5 Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO

I thought Grand Theft Auto just came to real life.

#6 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@mfundo said:

Thought you meant as 70, 000 human beings. Though I do feel sorry for the chickens, they could've been KFC. What a jerk.

#7 Posted by ARMIV2 (8282 posts) - - Show Bio

And that's why you won't see me frequenting the booze. One minute everything is all hunky-dorey, the next you're lying in a pool of your own pee and disgrace after just killing 70,000 chickens.

#8 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

How do chickens die within 15 minutes without electricity?

"That's a question you should ask yourself, Megatron..." -Prime

This

were they hooked up to life support? Was the farmer doing some sort of Frankensteinish experiments on them?

#9 Posted by 7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning (3578 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

How do chickens die within 15 minutes without electricity?

"That's a question you should ask yourself, Megatron..." -Prime

This

were they hooked up to life support? Was the farmer doing some sort of Frankensteinish experiments on them?

Exactly?! Like

Was he pulling off a Robot Chicken? 0_o;;;

#10 Posted by JohnnyWalker (821 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: maybe he cut off the ventilation system. 70,000 chickens can use up the o2 in 15 min. no other explanation comes to minds. unrelated what idiot puts that many chickens in one place where another drunken idiot can kill them with a flick of a switch?!

#11 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning:

Perhaps there wasn't enough ventilation? Chickens are usually packed in very tight, so much so that they cannot even move. All those chickens would use up whatever remaining air very fast.

#12 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: and how the guy don't choke?

#13 Posted by NlGHTCRAWLER (2898 posts) - - Show Bio

Who else can say they slaughtered 70,000 chickens in 15 minutes? This is a memory he will treasure.

#14 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArtGamer:

I don't believe he was in the same place as the chickens, just the spot where the power controls are.

#15 Posted by TheSpiritStalker (2013 posts) - - Show Bio

He was probably abducted by aliens

#16 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning:

Perhaps there wasn't enough ventilation? Chickens are usually packed in very tight, so much so that they cannot even move. All those chickens would use up whatever remaining air very fast.

a friend of mine's dad owns a chicken farm and we used to party over there all the time...well probably around 15 years ago a friend was over there and had ate some lcd and in the middle of his trip went into wear the chickens were kept and stood at the end of an aisle with his arms stretched out and ran down the aisle snapping at least 100 chicken necks in the process....don't do drugs

I guess my point is that those chickens are packed in there tight

#17 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Who else can say they slaughtered 70,000 chickens in 15 minutes? This is a memory he will treasure.

This. Made me laugh. So hard.

#18 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@Xanni15 said:

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning:

Perhaps there wasn't enough ventilation? Chickens are usually packed in very tight, so much so that they cannot even move. All those chickens would use up whatever remaining air very fast.

a friend of mine's dad owns a chicken farm and we used to party over there all the time...well probably around 15 years ago a friend was over there and had ate some lcd and in the middle of his trip went into wear the chickens were kept and stood at the end of an aisle with his arms stretched out and ran down the aisle snapping at least 100 chicken necks in the process....don't do drugs

I guess my point is that those chickens are packed in there tight

I remember they showed us a documentary in high school about the living conditions of chicken, how they're raised, fattened up, unable to move because they weigh too much, etc. It's sad but it's not going to make me a vegetarian!

#19 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15 said:

@danhimself said:

@Xanni15 said:

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning:

Perhaps there wasn't enough ventilation? Chickens are usually packed in very tight, so much so that they cannot even move. All those chickens would use up whatever remaining air very fast.

a friend of mine's dad owns a chicken farm and we used to party over there all the time...well probably around 15 years ago a friend was over there and had ate some lcd and in the middle of his trip went into wear the chickens were kept and stood at the end of an aisle with his arms stretched out and ran down the aisle snapping at least 100 chicken necks in the process....don't do drugs

I guess my point is that those chickens are packed in there tight

I remember they showed us a documentary in high school about the living conditions of chicken, how they're raised, fattened up, unable to move because they weigh too much, etc. It's sad but it's not going to make me a vegetarian!

of course not...chicken tastes too good

#20 Posted by ArtGamer (1262 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself said:

@Xanni15 said:

@danhimself said:

@Xanni15 said:

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning:

Perhaps there wasn't enough ventilation? Chickens are usually packed in very tight, so much so that they cannot even move. All those chickens would use up whatever remaining air very fast.

a friend of mine's dad owns a chicken farm and we used to party over there all the time...well probably around 15 years ago a friend was over there and had ate some lcd and in the middle of his trip went into wear the chickens were kept and stood at the end of an aisle with his arms stretched out and ran down the aisle snapping at least 100 chicken necks in the process....don't do drugs

I guess my point is that those chickens are packed in there tight

I remember they showed us a documentary in high school about the living conditions of chicken, how they're raised, fattened up, unable to move because they weigh too much, etc. It's sad but it's not going to make me a vegetarian!

of course not...chicken tastes too good

high five, food with soul is the best!

#21 Posted by BatWatch (2364 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a crime against nature that we keep chickens in coups in the first place!!!

All chicken should be in friar vats or my stomach. We need to cut out this whole growing process. Shouldn't we have chicken cloning by now?

#22 Posted by Nefarious (18677 posts) - - Show Bio

Now, this is something you don't hear everyday.

#23 Posted by YoungJustice (6670 posts) - - Show Bio

No wonder the local Popeyes ran out of chicken..........

#24 Posted by joewell (6249 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

How do chickens die within 15 minutes without electricity?

"That's a question you should ask yourself, Megatron..." -Prime

and yet they can live w/o there heads cut off

#25 Posted by Deadite (20689 posts) - - Show Bio

@7am_Waking_Up_In_The_Morning said:

How do chickens die within 15 minutes without electricity?

"That's a question you should ask yourself, Megatron..." -Prime

#26 Posted by jhazzroucher (15097 posts) - - Show Bio

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Who else can say they slaughtered 70,000 chickens in 15 minutes? This is a memory he will treasure.

he should be included in the guinness world of records. : )

#27 Posted by ShootingNova (15546 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought 70,000 human beings just died.

Online
#28 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Such a waste, could have made yummy chicken nuggets out of them :(

#29 Posted by HolySerpent (12457 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm Surpise PETA not over this