• 59 results
#1 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

So last week I started watching Dr. Who on netflix. I watched all of season five with the new doctor. I loved it. I watched nearly all of season 6. I skipped the last episode and the episode about the hotel with the rooms for every type of person. I skipped those for a "rainy day".

I started to watch season one but my roommate said that I should just skip the first season. I didn't like the first episode and delt it had some pretty bad acting skills and it just wasn't the same quirky Doctor I had come to like. I watched the second episode of season one much to my friends chagrin. It was much better. But I caved in and skipped to the second season which had the 10th doctor. I'm liking him . I would like to start watching Torchwood as well and this season (the 2nd) mentions the word/group a couple of times. And the Second episode of season two involved characters from the second episode of season one. By all my skipping around have I ruined the show for myself? Can I start watching Torchwood even though I've only watched up to episode 4 of season 2? Am i missing anything good from season 1? I felt like the 5th and 6th seasons were very connected but were "newbie" friendly.

#2 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ganthetsward20: The main character from Torchwood first appears in the last few episodes of season one but its pretty easy to get caught up. Though you're just talking about new Who, if you wanted to get the full story thats gonna take some effort

#3 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ganthetsward20: Seasons 5 and 6 are newbie friendly. If you wanna watch 10's stuff, then do it. You're not screwing yourself over by ignoring them as far as 11's continuity is concerned.

#4 Posted by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123:

Unfortunately, this is true. 11th continuity is something of a retcon of sorts, and that pisses me off. I hate 11.

But you should watch season 1 and go all the way through. And something tells me that you won't like Torchwood, since you like the "quirky" stuff. Torchwood is very dark. Some episodes are light, but others are downright disturbing ("Meat" comes to mind. As well as "Children of Earth"). I love Torchwood, but again, if you like the lightness and quirky Doctor Who of 11, you might not like it. 10 has his quirky moments, but he gets dark on occasion. 11... I could never take him seriously when he tries to act tough.

#5 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: I love 11. Like OP, 11 was my first Doctor. :P But to each their own and blah blah blah.

#6 Posted by Whisper_ (3459 posts) - - Show Bio

11 FTW!

#7 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Whisper_ said:

11 FTW!

#8 Posted by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:

@JediXMan: I love 11. Like OP, 11 was my first Doctor. :P But to each their own and blah blah blah.

9th was mine, so...

@_Whisper_ said:

11 FTW!

*sigh*
#9 Posted by Whisper_ (3459 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan:

@InnerVenom123:

#10 Posted by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Whisper_:

@InnerVenom123:

It's not fair. I can't argue with you guys! I don't have an endless library of gifs! -_-

#11 Posted by Whisper_ (3459 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan:

#12 Posted by _Zombie_ (10312 posts) - - Show Bio

I almost wanted to jump on you for badmouthing 9, but I noticed that it was just the first episode you had a problem with. Which I can agree with. Always did feel like 9's run was bogged down by Rose and Jackie.

That said, if you don't feel like going all the way through the classic Who, just start with "The Christmas Invasion", and go from there. 10 had the best run, so it's worth watching all of it. After that, just lead straight on into the 11th Doctor.

#13 Edited by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: I grew up watching reruns of the Fourth Doctor on pbs so for me its Tom Baker all the way, Tennet's a close second tho. 9 is good too

#14 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@_Whisper_:

#15 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@ZombieBigfoot: I always thought Rose was at her best in 9's run, and then things went horribly awry with her after that.

#16 Posted by _Zombie_ (10312 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: I never really liked Rose. I appreciated the themes her character brought to the story.. but the character itself annoyed me most of the time. It's one of the reasons I don't often enjoy going back and watching 9's episodes.

#17 Edited by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123 said:

@ZombieBigfoot: I always thought Rose was at her best in 9's run, and then things went horribly awry with her after that.

I agree. For some reason, she and the Tenth didn't work well together. I preferred Martha during the Tenth's run. Donna... she just never grew on me. I couldn't like her until, ironically enough, her "death"... no that wasn't a slam, just how I felt.

#18 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a huge fan of Rose Tyler either. I saw the one woman who he had partner up with him from the old times in episode 4 of season 2. I think her name was Martha. She seemed neat and they added K-9. That did have me wondering if I should watch the older episodes from way back. I'm wondering whats the best way to watch them too.

#19 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ganthetsward20 said:

I'm not a huge fan of Rose Tyler either. I saw the one woman who he had partner up with him from the old times in episode 4 of season 2. I think her name was Martha. She seemed neat and they added K-9. That did have me wondering if I should watch the older episodes from way back. I'm wondering whats the best way to watch them too.

Lol, that was Sarah Jane Smith, not Martha.

And she's awesome.

#20 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9437 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan:  
What?! Why don't you like 11? 
And as far as Rose goes, yeah, she didn't do too much for either but she was still a good companion.  

Amy/Rory 
Martha 
Rose 
Donna 
#21 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

@InnerVenom123: Bahaha sorry. I feel real dumb now though because she said there should be another smith when she tried to get them to take mickey on their adventures. Hurm.

#22 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30074 posts) - - Show Bio

I was going to say something really long and really boring. But I scrapped it.

All I will say is to fully understand what happens in the series and in Torchwood you need to watch the series from the beginning. You miss very valuable information about The Face of Beau and Jack if you do not watch the series in its entirety.

Spoliers

#23 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30074 posts) - - Show Bio

Btw... I hate 11... He looks like Lruch and Herman Munster had a baby together...

#24 Posted by rogue_mar1e (19833 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kiara_Sullivan: *High five* I dislike Matt Smith as well.

#25 Posted by Kiara_Sullivan (30074 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogue_mar1e: He's so hideous.. I will admit at times he has the right eccentricities... But NO ONE can top David Tennant as 10. Except maybe some of the very first doctors.

#26 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4691 posts) - - Show Bio

Despite his appearance, Matt Smith has his charms. Although he comes off as too playful and bordering on patronizing and reading the viewer a children's book, it's probably worth watching till he regenerates again. When is that fool's contract up?

#27 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio

11 takes a lot of crap mostly because he followed Tennet, he's not the best doctor but as far as I'm concerned he's better than 5 thru 8

#28 Posted by JediXMan (29541 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe:

Know what? I'm not going to hate on the actor. He might be okay. It's the writing that I dislike. That and they ruined the Weeping Angels for me.

#29 Posted by OmegaDynasty (9184 posts) - - Show Bio

I may be one of the rare Dr.Who fans who liked the 9th doctor. 
Every one loves the 10th doctor Tennet. 
Never really liked 11th. 

As for the older one's I haven't seen much of them. Only a few episodes. 
Although, have to say I liked the 1-4, 2 and 4 more so than the others. 

#30 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I honestly dont think I hate any of the doctors I think for the most part (and just from what i've seen. They all work well for the stories being told.

#31 Posted by joshmightbe (24599 posts) - - Show Bio

@JediXMan: He does the best he can with what he's got. You can tell he's really trying but yea the writing has been a bit lax

#32 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

I just saw this ad on xbox lol, any good?

#33 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay so are the mini episodes any good to watch, and what about the Christmas specials? I've watched all of seasons 2-6. Happy with the new season but do these minis and specials hold any important info?

#34 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vaeternus: You mean you saw a Dr Who add? Yes its very good i was even able to turn a few friends to it. But I'm more into it then they are

#35 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ganthetsward20: The first Christmas special "The Christmas Invasion" something major happens that plays important roles all the way the the season 4 series finale. I won't say what it is for spoiler reasons.

#36 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone know about the minis and also where i can watch the older episodes?

#37 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll bump this instead of starting another thread.

Something is really bugging me about the start of season seven. How is Skaro back? Dalek Caan stated it was "lost in a great war" aka the Time War. And also, how are there so many Daleks all of a sudden? The only ones I remember were those god awful redesigns in Victory of the Daleks. So... what? Were they revived somehow? And why aren't they the new designs?

I must have missed a huge plot point because I am just lost.

#38 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

@Razero: my friend asked the same question. I told him that we dont know when it happens. Matt Rorey and Amy are all kidnapped. I'm not sure but cant the daleks time travel too? I also suggested to him that because the Daleks were able to make human/daleks that maybe they were able to actually build many more of the orignial daleks and use the human/daleks as slave labor to create more of them. But I also dont remember any explanation during the episode

#39 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ganthetsward20: The Human Daleks all died. And that doesn't explain how Skaro returned.

I'm so confused.

#40 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

@Razero: I thought the one was still alive at the end of the episode? That chick who brought the doctor to the Daleks? I missed something if they died. Have you re watched the episode? I may do that latter today.

#41 Posted by SoA (4684 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ganthetsward20: just curious why did you skip around like that? and if you want to sync up both dr who and torchwood , watch torchwood after season 2 of dr who , they have a few crossovers so i believe that's when they make references to each other . my gf got me to watch torchwood , i watched dr who and saw how it all fit , enjoy!

#42 Posted by Razero (336 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ganthetsward20: What chick? Dalek Caan activated some kind of termination that killed the army. Only Dalek Caan survived.

#43 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA: Well Looked around online to see where a good starting point would be and found out that starting with season five gave you a good idea of who these people in this show are and what its all about. I continued with the season and my friend told me that the previous Doctor was pretty good. I started with season one after finishing with seasons 5 and six but my friend told me that the previous doctor started in season two and that i should skip season one because he thought it wasn't all that good. But I went ahead and watched the first two episodes from season one anyways then went to season two cause i wasnt really enjoying the first season. Now I've watched season 2-6 but i am still a bit confused on some stuff but im guessing its because i havent watched season on all the way through and i didnt really watch the Christmas specials.

#44 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

@Razero: Well then I missed something at the end of the first episode of this season then cause I thought all the Daleks on the ship were still alive. I'll re watch the episode cause you got me really confused. I watched the begging of this season with a friend and spent a great deal of time explaining stuff to him so I probably missed something.

#45 Posted by SoA (4684 posts) - - Show Bio

@Ganthetsward20: your friend needs a punch in the groin , watch everything straight through . and the x-mas specials are great because all kinds of chaos happens . there are also two movies floating around netflix(one is more of a two parter packaged like a movie) starring the 10th doctor. i watched beginning to end and now im watching them live(as in every week)

#46 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA: I watched two christmas specials the christmas invasion and the one they did last year. I didnt know they had two movies out either. I'll have to search for those. I am also watching the new ones every week. I am really enjoying this season.

#47 Posted by The Stegman (23033 posts) - - Show Bio

I tried Doctor Who...but meh, just not a fan.

#48 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Stegman: Sorry to hear that dude. What episode did you watch, or do you know?

#49 Posted by Pyrogram (35080 posts) - - Show Bio

@buttersdaman000 said:

@JediXMan: What?! Why don't you like 11? And as far as Rose goes, yeah, she didn't do too much for either but she was still a good companion. Amy/Rory Martha Rose Donna

NO NO NO CAPTAIN JACK WAS THE BEST COMPANION EVER!!

#50 Edited by War Killer (19961 posts) - - Show Bio

11th Doctor was my first and though I like the 10th Doctor, there just something about your first Doctor that always sticks with you. :)