Posted by nszerdy (439 posts) - - Show Bio

For a long time I've looked up to many great artists in the Comic Book Industry. Neal Adams, Jim Lee, Travis Charest etc.

I've longed to meet many of them and have had the great opportunity of meeting some of the greats and some of the "greats"...

Some of my best experiences have been with Carmine Infantino (A GREAT GUY!), Stan Lee, Greg Capullo, David Finch, J. Scott Campbell, Roy Thomas (a writer), Darwyn Cooke, Alex Saviuk (even got to have lunch with him) and a number of others!

In past years I wasn't as big of a fan of Tim Sale, but then I met him and found out he was a wonder guy and I became a huge fan of his and his art. I've also met a few artists I was HUGE fans of only to find out they were complete and utter *&^%'s and ended up selling off or giving away all of their issues.

Recently I got to meet one of the biggest names in comics (especially Batman down at Florida Super Con) and was really disappointed to find out that he was all about making money ( I won't mention the name...for now) but it was really diappointing and it really affected my opinion of that artist. While some of the artists were doing amazing commissions for relatively cheap-----this particular artist was drawing the same thing over and over for more money and not doing as nice of a job...

Just disappointed and wish they had made it more about the fans (Greg Capullo makes it more about the fans--he stands up and shakes hands with everyone he meets and even hands out a free print to the first 200 he meets at the show)

#1 Edited by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

There is nothing wrong in work for money. A man has to eat after all.

It would be really bad if your hero turn out to be a insufferable asshole.

#2 Posted by nszerdy (439 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat: I hear ya, and I will say he wasn't an A$$hole but compared to other greats I have met--he seemed more into making money. I tried to compliment him and tell him how much his stuff meant to me and he was like--"Thanks, I have this art book with a sketch for $80.00."

#3 Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

@nszerdy said:

@CaioTrubat: I hear ya, and I will say he wasn't an A$$hole but compared to other greats I have met--he seemed more into making money. I tried to compliment him and tell him how much his stuff meant to me and he was like--"Thanks, I have this art book with a sketch for $80.00."

That is good though. Its even more shocking if the guy you used admire turn out to be a hypocritical asshole. Trust me I know.

#4 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19941 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder who that artist is...

However, I do know that recently, Rob Liefeld is a complete d0uche.

"Be water my friend"

#5 Posted by nszerdy (439 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: He's a horrible artist anyways---Did you meet him!?

#6 Posted by Imagine_Man15 (1801 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: I've always tried to support Liefeld in the past... he's never been a good artist and his writing leaves something to be desired, but the guy has contributed so much to the industry that I've always felt he deserved more credit that he gets. However, upon seeing his behavior recently and realizing that he's a complete jackass, I will no longer make any effort to defend the man. It's one thing to lack talent... its another thing entirely to lack talent and then bash those who do.

#7 Posted by nickthedevil (11622 posts) - - Show Bio

The man gives me his art work and stories, I give him my money. I guess for others that's not enough, but I'm happy where I am.

#8 Posted by nickthedevil (11622 posts) - - Show Bio

Although, I did geek out when I met Todd Mcfarlane....

#9 Posted by Deadcool (6809 posts) - - Show Bio

I have no heroes, I feel no admiration for real people, just the idea behind them.

#10 Posted by ShootingNova (15666 posts) - - Show Bio

So, who was it?

A hero is not the one who inspires you; its his/her work/deeds/actions/beliefs that do.

#11 Posted by God_Spawn (37365 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickthedevil said:

Although, I did geek out when I met Godd Mcfarlane....

Fixed

#12 Posted by nszerdy (439 posts) - - Show Bio

@Imagine_Man15: Dannnnnnnnnnnnnnng! I met him once-but it was brief and he didn't say much! I asked Dan Panosian what his opinion was of him--and he tactfully said some things that hinted what he thought of him--but he didn't outwardly admit to anything negative.

@nickthedevil: Todd McFarlane is great to fans---you can also mail him comics to get signed (he signs 3 max) and it takes nearly a year to get them back--but he still does!

@ShootingNova: I'll give you a hint--his initials are NA

@god_spawn: haha--what about God Capullo!? He's the best with fans--I have ever met! He stands up and shakes everyones hand--he'll do a free headsketch--and he hands out 200 prints to the first people in line! How badass is that?

#13 Posted by kfhrfdu_89_76k (3712 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a pretty nice post.

I`ve met one (famous*) comic-maker who I like. He`s a nice guy, based on that brief confrontation with him. And I`m pretty sure that he`s still a nice guy.

I wrote a blog about it, and if you wanna check it out, I can give you a link.

*He`s famous in Finland.

#14 Posted by PowerHerc (81637 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't meet your "Hero," huh?

I knew mine my whole life, I loved him the whole time and I love him still. He was my father.

I lost him a couple of years ago and I miss him mightily right til this very day.

#15 Posted by joshmightbe (24691 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat said:

Unless he was your hero for being an insufferable asshole, in which case you knew what you were getting into

#16 Posted by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@CaioTrubat said:

Unless he was your hero for being an insufferable asshole, in which case you knew what you were getting into

I don't see why people would like him for being a insufferable asshole in the first place.

#17 Posted by Vortex13 (12223 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@CaioTrubat said:

That's why I like my hero, and I can see him any time I want. I just need a mirror.

#18 Edited by nszerdy (439 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc: Sorry about your loss dude, my dad is my hero too! This post was started to open eyes to the realization that hero's outside the family--aren't always who you expect them to be. A lot of them are still good, terrific people, while others are not and can't live up to expectations. People put WAY toooo much emphasis on Celebrities etc. This was just one case where it didn't turn out as I expected.

@kfhrfdu_89_76k: Sweet post post! I'll totally read it!

#19 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Can you say that it wasn't Alex Ross? That'd make me feel better.

My favorite artist is dead, and from what I understand, he was a really nice guy.

#20 Posted by nszerdy (439 posts) - - Show Bio

@Gambit1024: Definitely NOT ALEX ROSS---Alex was fantastic when I met him in Orlando, FL! I actually found a comic shop in Chicago that he gets his books from and just because he is amazing--he signs all his issues for free on the shelves! How awesome is that!? He does really well for himself without screw everyone over--for a profile view of Batman's face---I call it stamp art--cuz you can tell he (NOT ALEX ROSS) just draws the same thing over and over! Oh yeah, that shows so much love for your work--BARF! Sorry, going off on a tangent!---take it easy man, thanks for posting--and It's not Alex Ross, Carmine Infantino, Tim Sale, Darwyn Cooke, Dan Panosian, Todd McFarlane, Sheldon Moldoff, Bob Layton, Chuck Dixon, Joe Sinnott, Graham Nolan, George Perez, Mark Waid, Steve Englehart, Tim Townsend, Chris Bachalo, Nick Cardy, Stan Lee, Bill Sienkiewicz, Dan Jurgens, Dennis O' Neil, Mark Texeira, or Mike Deodato Jr. To name a few!

#21 Posted by joshmightbe (24691 posts) - - Show Bio

@CaioTrubat: Obviously you've never met a Howard Stern fan from the 90s

#22 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19941 posts) - - Show Bio

All my heroes are either already dead, or certainly too honest to be snobby.

#24 Posted by dondave (34593 posts) - - Show Bio

@nszerdy: Is it Neil Adams

#25 Posted by satyrgod (2115 posts) - - Show Bio

I wouldn't care if my hero turned out to be an asshole.

Then again, think about what I do to assholes.