#1 Posted by TazzMission (5325 posts) - - Show Bio

Don Cheadle, taking over the role of James “Rhodey” Rhodes from Terrence Howard for the Iron Man sequel, had the chance to suit up in armor of his own, dubbed War Machine. The character was nowhere to be found when New York came under attack by alien forces in The Avengers and his absence was explained in the Iron Man 3 prequel comic.

Since Iron Man 3 gave much more screen time and action sequences to Rhodey, will Marvel Studios and writer-director Joss Whedon find another way to not include him in The Avengers: Age of Ultron or will Cheadle get his wish and become another armored Avenger? We spoke with the actor at last year’s Comic-Con and again before Iron Man 3 hit theaters in May and at time, he hadn’t spoken when Whedon about the possibility. That was then.

USA Today spoke with Cheadle today about his Best Actor Golden Globe nomination for his role in in the TV comedy House of Lies and made mention that he “has a part” in The Avengers: Age of Ultron, seemingly confirming – without quoting Cheadle directly – that Rhodey will at least make an appearance in the next team-up event.

Considering how Iron Man 3 ended with Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr.) tossing all of his Iron Man suits away and Rhodey now a proven warrior with his own War Machine and Iron Patriot suits, it would be strange to again make no mention of these facts when Stark returns for the battle against Ultron – a character whose new origins for the Marvel Cinematic Universe may have something to do with Stark, his armor designs (as revealed in The Avengers: Age of Ultron teaser) and his assistant artificial intelligence, J.A.R.V.I.S..

War Machine in The Avengers 570x267 Don Cheadle Returning For The Avengers: Age of Ultron

Cheadle has gone on record previously stating that there have been “discussions” around the future of Rhodey in the franchise, from appearances in future Avengers movie or other spinoffs. There’s also a chance that the character – who works for the U.S. military- can appear in the S.H.I.E.L.D.-focused Captain America: The Winter Soldier as a cameo. It’s that film after all, that serves as the prequel to Age of Ultron. Think of it as The Avengers 1.5.

http://screenrant.com/avengers-2-don-cheadle-war-machine-confirmed/

#2 Edited by russellmania77 (13645 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh his character isn't cool at all, he is good for a few movie jokes

#3 Posted by PowerHerc (78197 posts) - - Show Bio

No big deal.

#4 Edited by Oscars94 (2012 posts) - - Show Bio

Well Ultron's a baaad dude. They need all of the help they can get.

#5 Posted by Fallschirmjager (11766 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they got back to War Machine armor instead of Iron Patriot.

#6 Posted by TazzMission (5325 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they got back to War Machine armor instead of Iron Patriot.

agreed!

#7 Posted by RogueShadow (8028 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh.

#8 Edited by Avenging-X-Bolt (11760 posts) - - Show Bio
#9 Edited by CF12793 (2746 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they actually, um, have him do something significant this time? Iron Man 2 has been his most solid role. In Iron Man 3, he almost wasn't in the movie

#10 Edited by Jimmie_Hudson_ (284 posts) - - Show Bio

nobody cares but they clicked on the thread? huh? anyways, hell yeah. i'm glad rhodes will be on the avengers 2. i missed him on the first film.

#11 Posted by King Saturn (222850 posts) - - Show Bio

It better be Rhodes with the War Machine armor... I don't wanna see that n!gga in the Iron Patriot metal again.

#12 Posted by Vaeternus (8364 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between both guys lol. I didn't even know they got different actor until my friend told me, since I never really got into Iron Man that much.

#13 Posted by King Saturn (222850 posts) - - Show Bio

To be honest, I couldn't tell the difference between both guys lol. I didn't even know they got different actor until my friend told me, since I never really got into Iron Man that much.

Are you serious ? You would have to be partially blind not to see the physical differences between Terrence Howard and Don Cheadle.

#14 Edited by War Killer (19521 posts) - - Show Bio

It better be Rhodes with the War Machine armor... I don't wanna see that n!gga in the Iron Patriot metal again.

The fact that Marvel's changing War Machine to Iron Patriot in the comics, I wouldn't be surprised if he remains Iron Patriot in the movies. Personally I prefer him as War Machine, it's cooler than Iron Patriot and doesn't come off as an "Iron Captain America" mockup.

Though, if Rhodes is in Avengers 2 it'll probably be a small cameo, similar to Pepper in the first movie. With them introducing new Avengers, I doubt they'll want to waste time with supporting characters from other movies.

#15 Edited by Vaeternus (8364 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn said:

@vaeternus said:

Are you serious ? You would have to be partially blind not to see the physical differences between Terrence Howard and Don Cheadle.

lol not blind, like I said I just don't care much for the IM films. First one was good, then after that kind of lost interest. Don's smaller though right?

#16 Posted by King Saturn (222850 posts) - - Show Bio

@king_saturn said:

The fact that Marvel's changing War Machine to Iron Patriot in the comics, I wouldn't be surprised if he remains Iron Patriot in the movies. Personally I prefer him as War Machine, it's cooler than Iron Patriot and doesn't come off as an "Iron Captain America" mockup.

Though, if Rhodes is in Avengers 2 it'll probably be a small cameo, similar to Pepper in the first movie. With them introducing new Avengers, I doubt they'll want to waste time with supporting characters from other movies.

Aw Sheeeeit....

#17 Posted by MaccyD (2899 posts) - - Show Bio

It'd be cool if Cheadle was underplaying his part of replacing Stark as Iron man, it'd be cool to have legacy characters (with RDJ at 40/50 something, it'll probably be done in the future anyway).

#18 Edited by Onemoreposter (3574 posts) - - Show Bio

Howard was perfect for the role of James Rhodes. Personally, I don't think Cheedle fits the role at all. I like him as an actor and he isn't awful in the part but he doesn't have me wanting more. I don't really care whether he's featured or not.

#19 Edited by TazzMission (5325 posts) - - Show Bio
#20 Posted by kgb725 (3488 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission: He should have been there in the first movie. If Rhodey is used as a small part I would like him ti be apart of the final battle

#21 Edited by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (7923 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet

#22 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1355 posts) - - Show Bio

Nice I hope he gets some action scenes or at least be in the background fighting.

#23 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool

#24 Posted by LyraFay (2140 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh look overcrowded.....Oh wait it can't be overcrowded cause its a Marvel film.

#25 Posted by batmannflash (6117 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm indifferent

#26 Posted by Veshark (8561 posts) - - Show Bio

@war_killer said:

@king_saturn said:

Aw Sheeeeit....

Jeeez, serious?

The Iron Patriot is an ugly-a*s eyesore. Terrible paintjob and design, made even worse by the fact that the government already has a flag-wearing hero on their payroll - was it really necessary to have another? The Iron Patriot design was originally used by Osborn to have the 'symbolism' of the two great heroes, but here it just looks tacky and bad. Even Iron Man 3 itself lampshades it, with Tony making repeated 'Iron Patriot' jokes.

What makes the War Machine design look so great is that the gunmetal grey stands in contrast to the red-gold of Iron Man. Rhodey doesn't look like a dude in a superhero suit of armor, he looks like a soldier piloting a high-tech weapons system.

#27 Posted by HumanRocket (5017 posts) - - Show Bio

I still feel the same about the movie as I did before reading this. It's not saying anything bad about the chracther is just that With Ultron guns and bombs aren't going to defeat him so I wouldn't want it to be the way he's deafted on screen. I'm really hoping that Pym plays a role in taking him down that would make me happy.

#28 Edited by isaac_clarke (5448 posts) - - Show Bio

The best part of all these solo-films, they don't need to build already established characters = leading to cameo heaven. Sure critics will blast it for not be stand-alone material, but it won't stop me from enjoying some Warmachine in whatever chaos Ultron creates.

I still feel the same about the movie as I did before reading this. It's not saying anything bad about the chracther is just that With Ultron guns and bombs aren't going to defeat him so I wouldn't want it to be the way he's deafted on screen. I'm really hoping that Pym plays a role in taking him down that would make me happy.

If Pym has any role in this movie it's off-screen. I'm pretty sure it was confirmed Ultron origin is going to be different.

Nice I hope he gets some action scenes or at least be in the background fighting.

I'd be surprised if he didn't.

#29 Posted by Oscars94 (2012 posts) - - Show Bio

@tazzmission: Yep Iron Patriot would look terrible in the line up with Cap. I see Warmachine dying early though. If Stark creates Ultron, having his best friend killed would riddle him with guilt.

#30 Edited by TazzMission (5325 posts) - - Show Bio

@oscars94 said:

@tazzmission: Yep Iron Patriot would look terrible in the line up with Cap. I see Warmachine dying early though. If Stark creates Ultron, having his best friend killed would riddle him with guilt.

personally id like to see ironman die and have the real war machine take over his position