#1 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

(Okay, first I feel bad that I have to do this but I need to stress it. This thread is not about if violence in video games effect someone’s mental state or about potential censorship of violent games. I don’t want to see any posts about either of those issues. You can go off topic all you want, but please don’t touch those two topics or anything close to them. I want this to be an intellectual discussion, not a flame war.)

Alright now, on to the actual topic at hand. Does violence add anything to games? Now what I mean by this is, does the presence of large amounts of violence, blood, or gore add to a game? Does it make the game better? Does it make it worse? Can you think of a game where it does add actual value? If so, what kind? Would games like Mortal Kombat be as good without all the violent fatalities and such?

Personally I can think of a few games  that do benefit directly from having serious amounts of gore and violence, but they seem to be for more subversive ways, like in God of War how the overall violent nature of the game is used to characterize Kratos, while showing that such a violent ball of rage and hate would also make for an ultimately horrible person.

Anyway, please give your honest opinions, but don’t try and get too heated guys.

P.S: Please don’t @ reply everything to me, as much as I want to hear opinions, I don’t need every post in the thread inside my inbox. >.>

#2 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19968 posts) - - Show Bio

It's their video game style in my opinion. Sure, it's not entirely needed, but its fun to see gore. It may be something that draws in customers.

#3 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

It's their video game style in my opinion. Sure, it's not entirely needed, but its fun to see gore. It may be something that draws in customers.

I get it's function, I just wonder if it actually is worth while.  
I've been thinking and there's few games I enjoyed that would would be worse off without the violence.
#4 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been a gamer for almost my whole life so far and honestly, I care more about the storyline than anything. As long as a game has a decent storyline and characters I'll play it with or without violence. I understand what you're saying though. It could be a bit subjective depending on the game. Like Assassin's Creed for instance, without the violence it would be extremely boring and pointless. Especially considering the title is about assassinating. It just all depends what the game is about and etc.

#5 Posted by GodOfMischief (637 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista: I agree with this, it's all about the genre and if it fits into the style of the story. Some games are better and realistic with it, others are better without.

#6 Posted by AtPhantom (14521 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's all about the atmosphere. Blood and gore can accentuate and enhance the feel of a game if that's sort of feeling is what you're going for. I played a The Walking Dead game recently and while blood and carnage wasn't the central point of the game, it certainly added to the general sense of bleakness and horror we associate with The Walking Dead. That said as a general rule no, I don't think excessive violence adds much.

#7 Edited by laflux (14339 posts) - - Show Bio

It honestly depends. As Samimista said, playing Assassin's creed without killing anyone would be boring. Depending on the genre of the game, a certain level of violence is mandatory. After that, its really up to the developers. As a personal example, I'm a massive Serious Sam fan. For those who don't know, you basically have hundreds of dumb monsters rush you, which you have to take out with lots and lots of Guns. Naturally, there is alot of Gibbs going on such. But besides providing a hint of realism, I'd be almost as cool if there was no Gibbing at all and the enemies just vanished into thin air once I shot them enough times to warrant a kill.

What I'm trying to say is that stylized violence is all well and good, but if it isn't interwoven into a compelling storyline/good gameplay, then it gets tedious. This example suits Serious Sam's underdeveloped twin Duke Nukem, so well.

Edit, before Spartacus Blood and Sand got any real storylines it was also a prime offender for this as well. The trend also applies to other visual media as well.

#8 Posted by JediXMan (29685 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends. In general, I dislike unrealistic portrayals of violence. I criticized Mass Effect 3's violence - sorry, but me getting a headshot with a pistol won't make your head explode. I might get it if it was a high power sniper rifle, but a pistol? That's stupid. Mass Effect 2 made more sense. When you hit a person, the entry wound is somewhat small. But the spinning of the bullet makes the exit wound much bigger, which is why blood comes from the back, not the front.

My reason for not playing God of War has more to do my hatred for quick time events than the violence, but violence isn't a selling point in general.

#9 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Violence adds violence to games.

Duh.

#10 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll get back to this.

#11 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:

Violence adds violence to games.

Duh.

You know what I meant. :P 
You think Dead Space would suffer if you couldn't gib the heck out of the aliens? 
I guess it probably would given that's the core game mechanic...
#12 Posted by laflux (14339 posts) - - Show Bio

@ReVamp said:

I'll get back to this.

*Waits in anticipation*

#13 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

You think Dead Space would suffer if you couldn't gib the heck out of the aliens? I guess it probably would given that's the core game mechanic...

Yes, it would.

Dead Space is meant to have the gore of John Carpenter's The Thing, mixed with the premises of both Alien and Event Horizon.

Taking the gore away would significantly reduce a lot of fun of the game. Like the death scenes, the design, etc.

#14 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32918 posts) - - Show Bio

this question is kind of baffling

#15 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I worded it badly. 
I more of meant over the top violence like in MK and God of War. 
Like, if the games would be any worse if all the blood and gore wasn't present.
#16 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32918 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

I worded it badly. I more of meant over the top violence like in MK and God of War. Like, if the games would be any worse if all the blood and gore wasn't present.

Well it add's to the atmosphere

#17 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista said:

I've been a gamer for almost my whole life so far and honestly, I care more about the storyline than anything. As long as a game has a decent storyline and characters I'll play it with or without violence. I understand what you're saying though. It could be a bit subjective depending on the game. Like Assassin's Creed for instance, without the violence it would be extremely boring and pointless. Especially considering the title is about assassinating. It just all depends what the game is about and etc.

Absolutely agree with this. If the environment and setting of the game clearly indicates violence, then so be it. It actually annoys me if I see someone get run through with a sword with no resulting gushing blood wound.

#18 Posted by laflux (14339 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@Samimista said:

Absolutely agree with this. If the environment and setting of the game clearly indicates violence, then so be it. It actually annoys me if I see someone get run through with a sword with no resulting gushing blood wound.

Samimista seems even more agreeable on this thread than usual, right :P

#19 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@laflux said:

@lykopis said:

@Samimista said:

Samimista seems even more agreeable on this thread than usual, right :P

Why thank you. <3 For that you can have Jensen Ackles for the night. =D

#20 Posted by Nefarious (18861 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll have to think about this question.

#21 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@Samimista:

Uhm...I don't think he's up for it....

#22 Posted by Sherlock (7245 posts) - - Show Bio

This begs the question does violence add to movies or graphic novels for.Tbh I think it would be pretty boring to read an avengers comic with no violence in it at all.We even have battles forum on the site.That in and of itself is violence.I don't think mindless gore is necessary but I have no problem with violence in general

#23 Posted by Vaeternus (9410 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmm, well honestly I enjoy the violence should it be appropriate or relevant to the game itself. Meaning, as a HUGE MK fan yes I feel the violence, blood, gore, bruising and torn clothes after a fight is important. Why? Well, simple for one outside of the fact that in MK's case being very known and bold for going that route since the early 90's in a world where nobody was touching that level of grim, gritty concepts especially.

Plus, one reason why I love MK above every other fighting game personally is because of the photorealistic graphics and blood(in MK9 they did on purpose notice instead of huge bursts of blood everywhere it actually falls like real blood which they admitted in an interview) like when Kano slices you, you'll notice it kind of sprays rather, flings on the ground like when someone gets stabbed rather then "huge glops of blood appearing out of no where" like the older MK's did. Or say the way Scorpion slices your head so fast, then slices you in half fast then kicks your middle part out and chops your head in half. Could possibly happen or be possible at least given how fast you are with a sword.

I also like how say with decapitations(also unlike some past games) the body falls down to their knees like it really would then falls over.

Blood dripping from the head is nice too :) I always found it kind of stupid that SF, Tekken, VF etc the other fighters you beat each other to a pulp and not one ounce of blood or messed up clothing remotely. So for this reason alone I love MK, besides many others that don't pertain to this question.

Even the new Injustice Game coming out, NRS confirmed once the game is finished they will have torn, messed up costumes(not the gore, blood of MK obviously) but perhaps busted faces and messed up costumes which is very realistic imo. Plus, you know there has to be a fatality when the announcer says "FINISH HIM!"

@laflux said:

@ReVamp said:

I'll get back to this.

*Waits in anticipation*

That girls hot in your avy :P

#24 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17620 posts) - - Show Bio

I think violence and gore can and does certainly add to video games and other forms of media in general.

It can add to it story wise,for entertainment or to the look and feel of the game.

I mean take a war game or a shooter I think they add violence and gore to add a bit of realism as well as to add to the look,feel and the entrainment factor.I mean I think the reasons violence and gore are put in games is dependent on the context of the game itself.

#25 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

The excessive violence is one of the best and somewhat most charming things about games like Mortal Kombat, IMO. As far as God of War goes, the excessiveness isn't necessary, but not enough for me to dismiss it. That game's all about its awesome story.

So I guess it really just depends on the game.

#26 Posted by SC (12729 posts) - - Show Bio

I view violence in video games in two simplified, generalized way. Realistic violence and cartoony violence. Games in which violence is more realistic, I think should be games that warrant higher age ratings and so on. For myself personally, I tend to prefer for the most part realistic violence in games I play, because I find it more immersing. Realistic violence isn't over the top violence however. That being said there are games like Tekken, where I don't think blood or bruises need to be added and in fact would detract from the game. Mortal Kombat however, realistic blood mechanics I think add to the game (it could be argued that they are over the top, and for me personally I would like the game if say the violence was over the top, but the injuries were more realistic - I like that game gritty)

Some of my favorite games have used violence and blood very well, Final Fantasy 7, Metal Gear Solid, various Resident Evils, all have had scenes with corridors and hallways with giant claws or sword marks gnashing against the ceiling and walls and floors with blood splattered everywhere with red hand marks as well - those are mark out moments for me because I realize something badass is about to happen or I am going to die a horrible death and dammit where is the save icon or typewriter... then again there was only really one moment like that in Final Fantasy 7 and the game would have been as legendary and playable without that scene. So I would say it wasn't strictly necessary, but it still added a little bit. The rest of the game is cartoony violent for me.

Moderator Online
#27 Posted by Samimista (20609 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@Samimista:

Uhm...I don't think he's up for it....

He shall be all mine then! =D Jensen come run into my arms! >=D

#28 Posted by inferiorego (21261 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, humans love violence. It's in our nature. The ones who say they hate it are lying to themselves.

Staff
#29 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32918 posts) - - Show Bio