Does the death penatly deter murder?

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By LightBright

This was one question from my General Sociology 20 course that I thought was pretty interesting. What do you think? Does it deter murder? The death penalty is a pretty dang controversial topic.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By pixelized

Prison in general is a turn off for me.

But as for it deterring murder...Idk
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By King_Saturn
I dont know. I feel that some crimes that people do they should be put to death easy... like these criminals who rape and kill little children...
Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By Erik

Studies have shown that states with the death penalty actually have a higher crime rate than the states that do life in prison. That being said, it seems that criminals are more afraid of prison than death.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5  Edited By The_Martian
erik said:
"Studies have shown that states with the death penalty actually have a higher crime rate than the states that do life in prison. That being said, it seems that criminals are more afraid of prison than death."
Thats cause they do the humane lethal injections. We went back to good old fashion hangins they would be scared sh#$less:P
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By King_Saturn
Nobody said:
"erik said:
"Studies have shown that states with the death penalty actually have a higher crime rate than the states that do life in prison. That being said, it seems that criminals are more afraid of prison than death."
Thats cause they do the humane lethal injections. We went back to good old fashion hangins they would be scared sh#$less:P"
Indeed
inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

Hanging, Stoning, Caning... None of this, swabbing the arm with alcohol before we stick you to die garbage.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By NightFang3
Nobody said:
"erik said:
Thats cause they do the humane lethal injections. We went back to good old fashion hangins they would be scared sh#$less:P"
              I agree with that.
Agony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Agony

for murders damn straight you should have the death penalty an eye for an eye so a life for a life

LightBright

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By LightBright

Because of its bad rap the death penalty has been put on the back burning. It's become an idle threat since it's used so rarely. Criminals have no reason to fear it because it doesn't represent fear to them. Prison shouldn't bump death.

Avatar image for deactivated-6030568ceeb29
deactivated-6030568ceeb29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a topic, such as abortion and Global warming, one that will always be talked about but never changed

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By King_Saturn
Maya Lopez said:
"This is a topic, such as abortion and Global warming, one that will always be talked about but never changed"
I think you may have a point here
Crimson Orchid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Crimson Orchid

I do believe in capitol punishment.  There are a lot of psychos out there... and after some of my experiences with them, I've realized that the current justice system [in Canada] is no where near as strict as it needs to be. 
It's a frightening world, and it's not going to get better by feeling sorry for the people making it that way.  I'm sorry to all the bleeding hearts out there, but I don't care if a mass murders' daddy didn't hug him/her enough, he/she doesn't deserve to see the light of day for a very, very long time... [doesn't deserve to breathe in my opinion...]

Mr. Ubiquitous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Mr. Ubiquitous

Kill em' all, and let God sort em' out!

The_Ghostshell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By The_Ghostshell
LightBright said:
"

What do you think? Does it deter murder?

"
You can look at the numbers and see that it doesn't. For the Death Penalty to deter a murderer that would mean the criminal would actually have to stop and think of the consequences of his actions. Some don't care because their crazy, others think they wont get caught, some commit murder in a fit of rage. Plus, once their on Death Row they can jam up the legal system for years and years with appeals and what not. So no, in my opinion the Death Penalty doesn't deter murder.
Lightnin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Lightnin

Deterence is not the issue for me.  The death penalty should be applied when it is the appropriate punishment for the crime.

I would have to think, though, that if it were consistently and swiftly applied, it would become a deterence.  To what extent, I don't know.