#1 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio

This was one question from my General Sociology 20 course that I thought was pretty interesting. What do you think? Does it deter murder? The death penalty is a pretty dang controversial topic.

#2 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Prison in general is a turn off for me.

But as for it deterring murder...Idk
#3 Posted by King Saturn (224434 posts) - - Show Bio
I dont know. I feel that some crimes that people do they should be put to death easy... like these criminals who rape and kill little children...
#4 Posted by Erik (33329 posts) - - Show Bio

Studies have shown that states with the death penalty actually have a higher crime rate than the states that do life in prison. That being said, it seems that criminals are more afraid of prison than death.

#5 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio
erik said:
"Studies have shown that states with the death penalty actually have a higher crime rate than the states that do life in prison. That being said, it seems that criminals are more afraid of prison than death."
Thats cause they do the humane lethal injections. We went back to good old fashion hangins they would be scared sh#$less:P
#6 Posted by King Saturn (224434 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"erik said:
"Studies have shown that states with the death penalty actually have a higher crime rate than the states that do life in prison. That being said, it seems that criminals are more afraid of prison than death."
Thats cause they do the humane lethal injections. We went back to good old fashion hangins they would be scared sh#$less:P"
Indeed
#7 Posted by inferiorego (26769 posts) - - Show Bio

Hanging, Stoning, Caning... None of this, swabbing the arm with alcohol before we stick you to die garbage.

Staff
#8 Posted by NightFang (10128 posts) - - Show Bio
Nobody said:
"erik said:
Thats cause they do the humane lethal injections. We went back to good old fashion hangins they would be scared sh#$less:P"
              I agree with that.
#9 Posted by Trauma (5889 posts) - - Show Bio

for murders damn straight you should have the death penalty an eye for an eye so a life for a life

#10 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio

Because of its bad rap the death penalty has been put on the back burning. It's become an idle threat since it's used so rarely. Criminals have no reason to fear it because it doesn't represent fear to them. Prison shouldn't bump death.

#11 Posted by Maya_Liafador (4586 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a topic, such as abortion and Global warming, one that will always be talked about but never changed

#12 Posted by King Saturn (224434 posts) - - Show Bio
Maya Lopez said:
"This is a topic, such as abortion and Global warming, one that will always be talked about but never changed"
I think you may have a point here
#13 Posted by Crimson Orchid (5825 posts) - - Show Bio

I do believe in capitol punishment.  There are a lot of psychos out there... and after some of my experiences with them, I've realized that the current justice system [in Canada] is no where near as strict as it needs to be. 
It's a frightening world, and it's not going to get better by feeling sorry for the people making it that way.  I'm sorry to all the bleeding hearts out there, but I don't care if a mass murders' daddy didn't hug him/her enough, he/she doesn't deserve to see the light of day for a very, very long time... [doesn't deserve to breathe in my opinion...]

#14 Posted by Mr. Ubiquitous (1032 posts) - - Show Bio

Kill em' all, and let God sort em' out!

#15 Posted by The_MVPs (84696 posts) - - Show Bio
LightBright said:
"

What do you think? Does it deter murder?

"
You can look at the numbers and see that it doesn't. For the Death Penalty to deter a murderer that would mean the criminal would actually have to stop and think of the consequences of his actions. Some don't care because their crazy, others think they wont get caught, some commit murder in a fit of rage. Plus, once their on Death Row they can jam up the legal system for years and years with appeals and what not. So no, in my opinion the Death Penalty doesn't deter murder.
#16 Posted by Lightnin (10 posts) - - Show Bio

Deterence is not the issue for me.  The death penalty should be applied when it is the appropriate punishment for the crime.

I would have to think, though, that if it were consistently and swiftly applied, it would become a deterence.  To what extent, I don't know.