does self awareness make us different from wild animals?

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Whenever someone uses the " what if some alien species started hunting humans because there smarter" argument in favor of not hunting wild life, I always ended up confused. Animals arent self aware like the way humans are, and obviously these aliens are self aware as well. Does this make this morally wrong for the alien to be hunting humans? Or would this be like hunting deer for us?

Avatar image for thenaughtytitan
TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

" what if some alien species started hunting humans because they're* smarter"

Fixed... my work here is done.

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Does this make this morally wrong for the alien to be hunting humans? Or would this be like hunting deer for us?

Depends on who you're asking, morality is relative. It would not be immoral for the aliens whom would be surviving off of the human race, I would assume the humans dying would think it's immoral.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kgb725

I never thought it was right to hunt things just because you could but if it happens it happens

ScouterV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not quite sure what you mean by self-aware. Monkeys, otters, and other animals all seem pretty self-aware of what they are. What sets humans apart is that we're arguably (some people make me question the race as a whole,) the smartest species on the planet. Our use of tools is much more refined than that of the animals I mentioned, (who arguably trump a decent amount of the rest of the animal kingdom with their own intelligence,) and our form of communication allows us to perform feats that animals simply couldn't because of our average capacity to retain knowledge.

It's like, I could, in theory, teach a child to use a bow and arrow. I could probably teach a monkey to do it, but it's going to take a little more effort. I wouldn't even begin to know where to start trying to teach an otter to use a bow and arrow

Infinityball

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like you......

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@scouterv: I think he is asking two different questions or just asking if our intelligence justifies the scenario in the OP.

@thenaughtytitan said:

I like you......

No Caption Provided

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

You shouldn't hunt just to make the animals into trophy's. You should hunt for food.

Avatar image for the_caped_crusader
The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

You shouldn't hunt just to make the animals into trophy's. You should hunt for food.

You shouldn't hunt at all. There's plenty of other types of food on this planet, so why kill living things?

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

You shouldn't hunt at all. There's plenty of other types of food on this planet, so why kill living things?

It's how nature works. We're omnivores. Which means that we are supposed to eat mean. Along with other things.

The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

@the_caped_crusader said:

@hylian said:

It's how nature works. We're omnivores. Which means that we are supposed to eat mean. Along with other things.

It doesn't make sense for a person to hunt and kill a living thing when there is other food available. Both serve the same purpose.

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

@hylian said:

It doesn't make sense for a person to hunt and kill a living thing when there is other food available. Both serve the same purpose.

Are you a vegetarian?

The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian said:

@hylian said:

Are you a vegetarian?

No.

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thenaughtytitan said:

@hylian said:

@hylian said:

Are you a vegetarian?

No.

Are you a vegan?

The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thenaughtytitan said:

@hylian said:

@hylian said:

Are you a vegetarian?

No.

Are you a vegan?

Nope.

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thenaughtytitan: So what, I can't sympathize the death of animals? What's your point?

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TheNaughtyTitan

@thenaughtytitan: So what, I can't sympathize the death of animals? What's your point?

You shouldn't hunt at all.

^^you can't say things like this but eat meat XD! You're a hypocrite for eating meat but telling people they can't hunt even though you eat what they hunt.

You can sympathize but you can't say other people can't hunt if you eat meat yourself...

Are you talking about people should not kill animals and eat meat or are you saying we should only eat livestock? You do realize that you're a fool if you think hunting is worse than the way we treat livestock.

The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supercrusader: I think you've missed my point. I'm saying you shouldn't harm or kill other life for food when food such as fruits and vegetables are available and serve the same purpose, which is satisfying your hunger.

The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By TheNaughtyTitan

@thenaughtytitan: Read post above.

Then you're a hypocrite because you eat meat. You can't advertise not eating meat and imply people are wrong for eating it when you eat it yourself.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think animals are pretty self-aware.

@thenaughtytitan said:

@thenaughtytitan said:

@hylian said:

@hylian said:

Are you a vegetarian?

No.

Are you a vegan?

Nope.

Even plants are omnivores. They take nutrients from anything they can.

Sympathizing with animals won't stop me from killing them for food. I have a greater allegiance to the human race than to them. At least when I eat to the animals body to sustain myself and maintain my strength, I'll be trying to do some good in the world in some way.

The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Then you're a hypocrite because you eat meat. You can't advertise not eating meat and imply people are wrong for eating it when you eat it yourself.

That is not what I've been saying.

God, how many times am I going to say this?

I_Am_Lightning

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hunting for the sake of hunting is wrong IMO.

TheNaughtyTitan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By TheNaughtyTitan

@thenaughtytitan said:

That is not what I've been saying.

God, how many times am I going to say this?

"You shouldn't hunt at all. There's plenty of other types of food on this planet, so why kill living things?"

Are you joking? Go read your posts. You eat meat, you can't say other people should not hunt and eat meat when you eat it yourself.

The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@supercrusader said:

@supercrusader: I think you've missed my point. I'm saying you shouldn't harm or kill other life for food when food such as fruits and vegetables are available and serve the same purpose, which is satisfying your hunger.

I asked a few times for you to clarify. Food does not only satisfy your hunger but also it provides key nutrients and an all vegan diet does not proved certain nutrients that meat does and if we all went vegan our brains would slowly revert back to being less large and effective.

But you eat meat yourself, so you are eating harmed or killed animal life.

Valid point.

PrinceAragorn1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't have other options, you can eat whatever you want, no judgement. But I never see eating any animal as moral, when you can survive without doing so.

lettsplay10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah No

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

No, lots of animals are self-aware.

The_Caped_Crusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you don't have other options, you can eat whatever you want, no judgement. But I never see eating any animal as moral, when you can survive without doing so.

This is exactly what I mean.

MasterKungFu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

yes

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Eh, maybe not hunt them for trophies, but you can eat them.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idc.. I eat what taste good XD.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares about animals? Dogs are the only animal that is good. All other animals deserve to be cooked and eaten.

Avatar image for lone_wolf_and_cub
Lone_Wolf_and_Cub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@superadam: Guess you deserve to be eaten also. I don't fatty meat myself though...

Frocharocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Who cares about animals? Dogs are the only animal that is good. All other animals deserve to be cooked and eaten.

If people think like that, we won't have the rights to defend outselfs when aliens make us cattle.