Does religion make comic books interesting or not?

CosmicCupcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

What do you think?

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Keep religion away from comics

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

Depending on how it's written; sure, it can be interesting.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

Only if it's relevant or pertinent to understanding the character. For instance I don't think Daredevil's inner struggles would make sense to the readers without understanding his connection to Catholicism. Other characters like Lucifer Morningstar, Michael Demiurgos, Thor, or Hercules need some aspect of the folklore present in their stories to properly identify the character's role.

Artyom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Artyom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774 said:

Only if it's relevant or pertinent to understanding the character. For instance I don't think Daredevil's inner struggles would make sense to the readers without understanding his connection to Catholicism. Other characters like Lucifer Morningstar, Michael Demiurgos, Thor, or Hercules need some aspect of the folklore present in their stories to properly identify the character's role.

This too.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By Heatblaze

Anything can be interesting if written well. Sometimes yes, Nightcrawler and Peter Parker for example. Pay no attention to the two neckbeards above.

SuperAdam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Best to keep religion and politics out of comicbooks, except for the stuff virtually everyone can agree on. For example, its ok to have "The Presence" or "The One Above All", but don't insert "Allah" or "Jesus" or anything. Its ok to have Captain America fight Nazis or the NSA, but don't have Captain America take on abortion rights.

Unfortunately, comicbooks do controversial stuff all the time. Its part of the reason comics are having a hard time catching on in the mainstream. They spend most of their time alienating all of their audience.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Religion is an important part of some people's (and therefore some character's) lives. It depends on how it's used and written.

SilverPool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. In reality many people are religious. Having characters avoid such concepts because they're afraid of offending internet losers is unrealistic.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. In reality many people are religious. Having characters avoid such concepts because they're afraid of offending internet losers is unrealistic.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

@hylian said:

Keep religion away from comics

Keep religion away from everything.

Are you saying Sandman, Lucifer and Hellblazer are bad comics?

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hylian: Except all those comics I just mentioned completely revolve around religion

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

w0nd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cosmiccupcake: I don't mind when you give a character faith, it adds more to their character, but then you get stories with like 8 gods, 10 hells, the one true devil and the one true god, oh no wait that was fake true god here is super god.

gets kind crazy

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@hylian: That.... makes no sense at all.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

Sort of off topic, but I am getting annoy by evil catholic in Anime, especially since I am catholic XD. I mean as long as the content is good I don't care that much, but it is absurdly more common than people think. As for comics, I don't really care, as long as religion doesn't entangled the entire comic.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Heatblaze

@jgames: You mean like Hellsing? Yeah I know.

VoloErgoMalus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Using religious elements isn't guaranteed to make comics interesting, but it can.

Jgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@jgames: You mean like Hellsing? Yeah I know.

There also Magical Index, Highschool DXD and God of High school (A korean web manga). Those are the other anime that come in mind. I mean if a catholic group are mention then they are automatically evil bc of reasons.

Heatblaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Daredevil is pretty interesting. Lucifer Morningstar too. Yeah its good in comics.

Artyom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Artyom

@w0nd said:

@cosmiccupcake: I don't mind when you give a character faith, it adds more to their character, but then you get stories with like 8 gods, 10 hells, the one true devil and the one true god, oh no wait that was fake true god here is super god.

gets kind crazy

I hate that stuff too.

just_sayin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Religion has a place in comics. It is a part of people's lives and therefore a part of good characters. I wouldn't want to take away Daredevil's Catholicism. Nor would I want to take away Hank Pym's atheism. I don't have to agree with a particular religion to find the character interesting.

lesterlawton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This. Nothing good in the world is happening right now involving religion, so keep it out of the stuff we enjoy.

Artyom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelicious said:

This. Nothing good in the world is happening right now involving religion, so keep it out of the stuff we enjoy.

Not even charities involving religion? It seems that you have a pretty close minded view on religion.

Frocharocha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Frocharocha

Sometimes, it makes them really good, but really good. But most of the times they don't.

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lesterlawton said:

@marvelicious said:

You can pretty much say that for any form of -isms, including atheism. But then nothing good is happening right now with anything. Someone is offended these days and they have the social media to magnify their faux-issue. Comics just need to be written as bland as can be as to not offend anyone. We can not longer have a "Superman". It must now be a multisexual/multicolor/multiethnic Superperson. Wait, scratch that. The Super in this person means he/she/it is better than someone else. That's offensive these days.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By judasnixon

As an atheist I love me some comic jews........

No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
No Caption Provided
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#33  Edited By Billy Batson

Best to keep religion and politics out of comicbooks, except for the stuff virtually everyone can agree on. For example, its ok to have "The Presence" or "The One Above All", but don't insert "Allah" or "Jesus" or anything. Its ok to have Captain America fight Nazis or the NSA, but don't have Captain America take on abortion rights.

Unfortunately, comicbooks do controversial stuff all the time. Its part of the reason comics are having a hard time catching on in the mainstream. They spend most of their time alienating all of their audience.

Politics have always been in comics and other media.

BB