Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) 6 months, 17 days ago

Poll: Does recent extreme weather give credibility to Gaia hypothesis? (19 votes)

Yes the planets just trying to counteract human development 16%
No the weather is always like this, you watch next year it will be back to normal 21%
Its not the Earth, Global warming is to blame 63%

I wonder what people's views are of 'climate change', do you feel it is natural or that it is man made, do you believe the planet will stop global warming by changing the weather around the world? Or o you feel the planet will just keep warming and heating up?

I'm especially interested in what the Americans on here think as they produce more co2 an methane then the rest of the world combined.

#1 Posted by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Heh, the -30+ weather in Canada and most of the States may have a thing or two to say.

#2 Edited by Fallschirmjager (16301 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget said:

Heh, the -30+ weather in Canada and most of the States may have a thing or two to say.

IKR. Its been -40+ on 3 different occasions in Wisconsin, this winter.

-50 like last week (or the week before)

Ridiculous.

#3 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: so what's your view? You obviously don't agree with global warming, but do you believe that the weathers just random, or do you feel that the planet is trying to keep itself from changing (homeostasis)?

#4 Posted by laflux (15054 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah.....

#5 Posted by kyrees (4817 posts) - - Show Bio

the super typhoons in my area are occurring far too often

#6 Posted by russellmania77 (14851 posts) - - Show Bio

blame the jews

#7 Posted by _Gaff_ (3269 posts) - - Show Bio

blame the jews

Blaming Jews is so last decade. I blame the Scotch-Koreans.

#8 Edited by SteelofValyria (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Regardless of the weather this winter, global climate change is occurring. Remember that climate is the overall type of weather that occurs over a long period of time in a specific geographic area. What we are experiencing this winter is merely the weather. I other words, in order to really understand what is occurring, one needs to look at the trend line for average temperature and precipitation for the last 30+ years. Following those trendlines, one finds that we are now experiencing, in North America, at least, a warmer, drier climate.

#9 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16619 posts) - - Show Bio

what extreme weather?

#10 Edited by EdBlank (492 posts) - - Show Bio

"The Earth" is not affected one way or the other by the climate on the surface. Clap your hands. You just caused an "earthquake" that killed like 1000 cells. Does this affect you in any way? When you bathe you might be rinsing off millions of microbes. You don't EVEN notice. Now life forms on Earth really want the climate to be comfy but even if all life dies tomorrow, "the Earth" is fine. It just keeps spinning and maybe new life forms develop in 227889651 years.

If we keep changing the composition of the atmosphere then Earth can end up like Venus. Venus wasn't able to fix itself before it became unlivable. Mars might have had the conditions for life at one time but it wasn't able to hold on to them at will.

We think we are smart because we can shoot a rocket into space but we have DESTROYED our ENVIRONMENT in a mere few hundred years. If you don't recognize that dozens of mile wide tornadoes or snowstorms hitting Cairo isn't right then we're just not gonna make it. The climate change deniers are evidence that modern cleverness does not equal intelligence (as defined by it's ability to HELP you survive. Whatever "cleverness" we possess is actually threatening to kill us off).

Lastly: have you ever looked at any info on HAARP? Do it. Weather War. Nuff said.

#11 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3503 posts) - - Show Bio

No, that's dumb. Climate change is real and constant, but has been exacerbated by people. The Earth will not consciously do anything, ever.

#12 Edited by MaccyD (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

The Ice Age wasn't caused by human interference, so perhaps neither is this. Humanity could just have sped up the inevitable, though.

#13 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

@deranged_midget: so what's your view? You obviously don't agree with global warming, but do you believe that the weathers just random, or do you feel that the planet is trying to keep itself from changing (homeostasis)?

I think it's something far beyond our knowledge and to be honest, natural to the planet. It's just another cycle. The reason why it's seemingly such a "big deal" now more than ever is because of how quickly news gets around due to social media.

#14 Edited by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh for goodness sake HARRP is one of many ionosphere monitoring stations, Europe has them Russia has them. You use them to measure the thickness of the troposphere and stratosphere, the magnetic field lines of the Earth, I like most Space Science students have used data from HARRP it is nothing special, you could just about build one in your garden with enough money, stop being scared of science and creating conspiracy theories...

also Gaia hypothesis is still widely used for the whole earth system despite the replacement regionally with chaos theory. It doesn't state that the planet is alive, only that the status quo doesn't like to be upset, so things appear to be alive.

Anyway enough of a rant lol

#15 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17817 posts) - - Show Bio

We affect the environment around us.

And if global warming (which is not a made up thing) is to "blame" then it us who have helped it along it's way.

#16 Posted by kuonphobos (4898 posts) - - Show Bio

Nah...just business as usual...

#17 Posted by LyraFay (2519 posts) - - Show Bio

It is global warming, we have a almost drought last year here in New Zealand and then we had the worst storms ever. Humans affects environments.

#18 Edited by RogueShadow (10240 posts) - - Show Bio

We're long overdue an ice age, I expect one any day now. But I prepped so it's all good.

#19 Edited by Bushwhacker_ (576 posts) - - Show Bio

Its get credit for pissing me off an' gettin' me sick.

#20 Edited by Vortex13 (12250 posts) - - Show Bio

@hillbillymorangie said:

I think it's something far beyond our knowledge and to be honest, natural to the planet. It's just another cycle. The reason why it's seemingly such a "big deal" now more than ever is because of how quickly news gets around due to social media.

I agree that things like these extreme climate changes have happened all throughout the history of the world but looking at the data form a little over a half a century ago and how the progression has increased not gradually as it should but a bit erratically in relation to increased kinds of pollution mankind has put out during the short time we have definitely sped up or enhanced the effects. In my opinion though it really doesn't matter at this point, the damage is done and at the very most all we could do would be slow it down very slightly through better care of our environment as a whole unified species which I highly doubt will ever happen. Obviously the worst thing that will occur if the world becomes a lot colder is the loss of beach season.

And on a side note this phenomenon (do doo be-do-do) is referred to by scientist, and has been for many decades, Climate change. Not global warming, which is a misleading name obviously. Same issue with the name Big Bang. Puts into mind a supper rapid explosion and expansion as our universe as it is today when in reality it was a very slow process. Or actually I should is a really slow process since it is technically still happen.

So no. The earth isn't trying to kill us out of spite, it would first need to be consciously aware and alive as an entire planet in general. As we all know Mojo is the only sentient living planet.

#21 Posted by Experio (15130 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't say so.

#22 Posted by AweSam (7373 posts) - - Show Bio
@edblank said:

Clap your hands. You just caused an "earthquake" that killed like 1000 cells.

http://watchdog.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/1/files/2013/11/slow-clap-gif.gif

All shall fear the earthquake god!

#23 Posted by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio

#24 Posted by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: aw such a nice photo... Totally stole it now though, is going on Facebook

#25 Edited by RazzaTazz (9576 posts) - - Show Bio

The fact that we have -30 degree weather is not proof that GW is not happening, rather that we are noticing it as something is relevant. It used to be that we just accepted that as a fact that it gets really cold in winter, now not so much, and we use polar vortex to explain the one time per winter that it gets really cold as opposed to before when it was not even in the conversation. The Earth is warming, that much is evident.

#26 Posted by Xaos (335 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, considering that climate observation isn't a very old things (Less than two century old, really.), I couldn't global warming too much of credibility BUT... you can't wipe out half of the main world's forests, then throw zillions of Co2 in the air without interfering with the global ecological equilibrium, so...

#27 Edited by HillbillyMorangie (927 posts) - - Show Bio

@xaos: that's not true a lot of climate can be seen looking at ice cores, the layers of sediment in the ground, the life rings of old trees etc...

#28 Posted by lykopis (10753 posts) - - Show Bio
#29 Posted by judasnixon (6416 posts) - - Show Bio

blame the jews

What the F***? I had nothing to do with this.......

#30 Posted by DoctorXander (1064 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the biggest Climate Change scientist in Australia, who I might ad was employed by the previous government, said a few years ago that we would never have rain again.

Then there were floods in Queensland and he was fired