does believing in god= religious?

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don't like to associate myself with people like the KKK and the West Boro Baptist Church so I stopped calling myself a christian, but I still believe in god so does this make me religious?

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Deism

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#4  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

Do you still belive in God in the Biblical sense, or do you just believe in a, non-personal, Supreme deity?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

Well far be it from me to judge as I am not a Christian, but I don't think thats a particularly strong reason to not consider yourself a Christian. The Ku Klux Klan and Westboro Baptist Church have quite extreme interpretations of Christianity and the Bible as well as just extremist ideologies, and even some variation in ideology with their own subgroups. That would be like not wanting to consider yourself a comic book fan based on a few angry and hostile comic forum users.

If you believe in a god/God you are a theist, possibly a deist, if you do not adhere to any religion then you are not religious, however if you do adhere to a religion, then you are religious. So its a question that only you can really answer. Is there a religion that you adhere to? It might get a bit tricky if you have a certain interpretation of a religion that you adhere to, like I have many Christian friends who ideas about what it means to be a Christian differs to other peoples ideas. I also know some people who believe in God who prefer to distance themselves from organized religions. If you still primarily believe the same things now as you did as when you were a Christian, I would tend to think you are still a Christian and still religious. That you shouldn't let extremist interpretations put you off being a Christian, but again, ultimately thats up to yourself and a personal decision.

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Bluejay4

@sc: I consider myself an agnostic theist for the most part, but organized religions really rub me the wrong way so I like to distance myself away from them as much as I can. I don't want people to believe I'm a bigot like a lot of other so called "Christians".

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

theism

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

@bluejay4: Do you believe that Jesus Christ was the son of God and accept him as your Lord and savior? If so, than you're a Christian. If you don't but still believe that their is a likely possibility that God exists than you are a theist or an agnostic. If you believe in neither than you are an atheist.

Bluejay4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dngn4774: Yes I believe Christ died on the cross for all our sins, but recognize my views aren't supreme and there just as valid as a Muslim, Jew, Catholic's point of view. I wouldn't really defend my views because I know they don't really hold any weight and its faith that I believe in god.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It sure seems like it nowadays.

lemonsauce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No it doesn't. Being a Christian is about having a relationship with God, it's not a religion.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#13 SC  Moderator

@bluejay4: Oh cool cool, how a person self identifies and feels comfortable as far as views is always important factor. I have some friends that do similar, they prefer the idea of a more intimate spiritual connection and are a bit jaded and weary about the size and implications of larger religious groups. Who you interact with also is a factor, like it helps when people don't label or view you as a bigot based on the actions of other people. Taking any stance or holding any position can be tricky when people are prone to doing that.

dngn4774

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

#14  Edited By dngn4774

@bluejay4: Then you have your answer. Most people who are "religious" today would probably be tortured or executed 500 years ago for not being "religious" enough. Nowadays you can basically pick which things you like about your faith and ignore the parts you don't agree with (or just view them in a figurative sense instead of the literal word of God).

I personally don't see the point in that. To me either it's all bs or you're actively defying God, which is why I am no longer religious. If God does exists I don't think he would grant me the logical capacity to be skeptical of his laws just as a way of testing my commitment to him (if that were the case then that's kind of a d*ck move. No offense.).