• 83 results
Punisherx343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

5 white males and 1 PoC

its 2015.....there has to be context to this..

this is from the thunderbirds remake show

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why can't a group of white guys hang out? Why can't a group of white people make a team together? There doesn't have to be a person of color in every group of people. I'm black and even I think this. I see no problem

Namasthetu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Token characters won't resolve race issues, they just piss everyone off.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

At least they like black girls lol

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

77.7% of USA is white so this lineup makes sense from a statistics POV.

kgb725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd rather have an all white team than the 1 token black character

Cloakx14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kgb725 said:

I agree with that completely.

@punisherx343 It is fundamentally racist to judge a group of people by their race. So when you saw that team all you did was see color which only serves to perpetuate racism for generations to come.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f
deactivated-5d3f071d30d9f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

@kgb725: Me too. let hope is better characther than i am only girl here concept. The red guy has a freaking huge head and neck.

Spambot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: People always complain about a lack of black or lgbt characters in movies/shows but when do they ever ask for representation for asians or hispanics(who outnumber blacks in the us)? Almost never.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spambot said:

@maccyd: People always complain about a lack of black or lgbt characters in movies/shows but when do they ever ask for representation for asians or hispanics(who outnumber blacks in the us)? Almost never.

It's even more ironic from my European standpoint, since we have different minority setup than the US (More Muslims, Gypsies, Eastern Europeans etc)

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By poeticwarrior

What's Jacqui Briggs doing there?

Don't care enough about TV or movies at this point since Asians don't exist in Hollywood.

Namasthetu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: @spambot

The current racial demographics from the last census are:

White (non hispanic): 62.6%

Hispanic/Latino: 17.1%

Asian: 5.3%

Black: 13.2%

Mixed: 2.4% (includes me!)

Native American/Alaskan Native: 1.3%

Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islander: 0.2%

maccyd, your number is whites including those who consider themselves Latino. Most people forget that a large number of Latinos are really mixed race with Spaniards. Cubans are a fun topic in Hispanic/Latino circles. All Hispanics/Latinos are really part Native American in the true sense of the word and the defining difference is that they were conquered by Latin language speakers and mixed with them genetically. You will often find, particularly out west were I now live, very mixed native American/Latino/Hispanic families. Many are defined as Latino/Hispanic despite being descended from SW Native Americans solely because they speak Spanish.

What is my point? The point is it's all BS because everyone really draws the lines in different places. I am genetically part Black, Asian, Native American, and Hispanic but I have the skin of a Scotsman. I will always look like the majority of the Thunderbirds up there, but I may not relate to them anyway.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh mai gawd thas so racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

kidchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I think the issue is that people are trying to make an issue out of it. Stop being so sensitive and trying to find something offensive with everything that doesn't seem "politically correct"

ImmovableRay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the issue is that people are trying to make an issue out of it. Stop being so sensitive and trying to find something offensive with everything that doesn't seem "politically correct"

It's getting ridiculous. There was a time when focusing primarily on race was considered racist, or at least taboo. Now people want that kind of thing in media. Why does everything have to have an agenda? Isn't this a kids show?

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Meh I'm a game developer one day I'll make a game with a all black cast problem solved.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuss4z said:

Meh I'm a game developer one day I'll make a game with a all black cast problem solved.

GTA: San Andreas?

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@maccyd: Something more modern and a more positive setting like a team of superheros or space soldier's.

Crimz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The problem I am seeing is that they are terrifying.

What an awful sight to behold.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuss4z: All black cast? Sounds pretty racist to me i mean where are the asian cast members?

*Initiate Tumblr Notification: Social Justice Warrior Protocols Engaged.

:p

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuss4z: Sounds like you are supporting the white domination of Asian cultures to me.....

*Red Alert Tumblr Users Requested To Whine Pointlessly Mistaking Their Actions For Activism

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope don't see a problem. Not everything needs to be idiotically politically correct.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redlantern2814: Nope it's inspired by my love of martial arts and the Asian culture and I'm black :).

Punisherx343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuss4z: as a gamer...are you going to get Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain?

Gustofwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324 said:

Why can't a group of white guys hang out? Why can't a group of white people make a team together? There doesn't have to be a person of color in every group of people. I'm black and even I think this. I see no problem

Yeah trying to force diversity into everything is annoying, why do people have to feel pressured into meeting some kind of diversity quota whenever they create anything.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuss4z: I was just mocking the social justice warriors dude lol

You create whatever you want and so long as you like it; that's what matters. The racists will always try to stir the pot and we just gotta laugh at them.

@gustofwind Imagine if the Justice League had to hire based on racial/sexual diversity and not on merit: Sorry Hal and Barry; you're just too white to be in the league. I'm sure losing those two wouldn't be an issue

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redlantern2814: Lol can't ever please the swj's my opinion about them is you got a problem with something fix it your self.

Gustofwind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gokuss4z: I was just mocking the social justice warriors dude lol

You create whatever you want and so long as you like it; that's what matters. The racists will always try to stir the pot and we just gotta laugh at them.

@gustofwind Imagine if the Justice League had to hire based on racial/sexual diversity and not on merit: Sorry Hal and Barry; you're just too white to be in the league. I'm sure losing those two wouldn't be an issue

They already kind of do something similar. Wally was too white to be in the Justice League.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Funny, since casting is based purely on race since almost all of the casting for the main characters have Caucasian as a requirement.

While I don't see the problem with the cartoon in itself, Hollywood's casting is basically more about race than anything since they won't even see you unless you're the right race which is almost for every leading role in every film.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By RedLantern2814

@gokuss4z: You know I bet they are the same whiny people complaining about Flash's prison! lol

@poeticwarrior When people write a roll then they can set whatever requirements they want. Someone writing a script with mostly white characters in mind is no more racist than Goku's game with an all black cast.

Racism comes in when people on the outside tear the work apart on the grounds of race. This is where we get things like M. Night white washing avatar or the casting director over at Thor wasting the talented Idris Elba on Heimdall.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By poeticwarrior

According to many writers and directors, they have to write the script and casting with Caucasian actors because they wouldn't get funded otherwise from studios and investors. It's not about artistic integrity, but about people seeing minorities as unmarketable and minorities lack the chance to prove themselves which lead to catch-22. I accept it a long time ago, but people shouldn't try to use artistic integrity as the only reason for the casting. Money is behind a lot of the casting, and that's ok since they're running a business afterall.

gokuss4z

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@redlantern2814: Exactly if the creators of the show are it only makes sense to have mostly white characters since they are the most relatable and it's easy to write for your own race.

Benk111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

if you don't like it you don't have to watch it.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poeticwarrior: Even if we assume their word is gospel, and not simply trying to avoid being labeled racists by the mobs, that studios could have non-racist reasons for wanting ethnic changes. For example, studios often have actors on contract for doing X number of films. So if they get a great script featuring a black guy protagonist, but they really want to put Brad Pitt in the role as he would sell; then that's what they will try to do.

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

oh mai gawd thas so racist!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11111

i no, rite? Damn patriarchy.

No Caption Provided

Cable_Extreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Cable_Extreme

So if a group has one minority in it, it is racist now?

Avatar image for deactivated-5da1bf32237f0
deactivated-5da1bf32237f0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

The cast is standing in front of a rainbow, so at least the show is representing the LGBT-whatever-the-hell-the-abbreviation-changed-to-this-week community.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By poeticwarrior

I'm talking about films and movies casting for unknown actors. Open casting or not, they're required Caucasian next to the name of the characters. You can look up casting notices and see if I'm wrong. Like I said, it's about money, and I'm ok with that. I'm also ok with people complaining since it's freedom of speech. Although now that China is becoming an important market, we may see more Asian characters, who know?

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually find it funny they were able to take care of the female and minority demographic with just one character.

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I actually find it funny they were able to take care of the female and minority demographic with just one character.

Make her gay, and they've hit jackpot. Or Transgender. Then again, maybe one of those other characters might be transgender.

For me, I'm more thrown off by two characters having sizeable looking penis pouches while the one guy (girl?) in the middle has like, none. Like, at all.

RDClip

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think the real issue here is why are they making a Thunderbirds show, but not using creepy puppets Team America style.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Jnr6Lil

@kgb725 said:

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

People being melodramatic behind a kids show...

LAL.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poeticwarrior: I have looked up casting notices and have written characters. However, you concede that the business is based around money which includes the casting; so even you concede it isn't racist which makes your interjection odd.

With regards to China yes there will likely be more Asian actors, as well as more transformers movies (god help us they love Michael Bay), but it will also cut the legs out of various stories wherein things that are controversial in China will be steered away in studios. Let us assume that the Chinese Government would ban a movie for having gay themes; like they did with Brokeback Mountain.

If a studio makes a film and wants strictly heterosexual romantic pairing, so they can sell in Chinese markets, does that make them homophobic? No. It would for the Chinese Government for being so stringent, but not the studio solely looking to make a buck.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

Aren't all the Thunderbirds supposed to be brothers? Its been a while since I saw it but I seem to remember that most of the male characters consist of brothers and their dad so it'd actually be a little weird to have one be a different race from the rest without making them a token adopted minority.

poeticwarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poeticwarrior: I have looked up casting notices and have written characters. However, you concede that the business is based around money which includes the casting; so even you concede it isn't racist which makes your interjection odd.

With regards to China yes there will likely be more Asian actors, as well as more transformers movies (god help us they love Michael Bay), but it will also cut the legs out of various stories wherein things that are controversial in China will be steered away in studios. Let us assume that the Chinese Government would ban a movie for having gay themes; like they did with Brokeback Mountain.

If a studio makes a film and wants strictly heterosexual romantic pairing, so they can sell in Chinese markets, does that make them homophobic? No. It would for the Chinese Government for being so stringent, but not the studio solely looking to make a buck.

It' based on the motion that minorities are unmarketable. I never care about it in the first place, to be honest, but just wanna correct the notion that casting is blind which it's not.

RedLantern2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@poeticwarrior: I don't think anyone said casting was blind; merely that casting was not motivated by racism and certainly not as racist as some internet crusaders make it out to be.