#1 Edited by YoungJustice (6396 posts) - - Show Bio

I just got finished having a very stupid argument with a person (Who will not be named out of the little bit of respect I have for them) which ended with this comment.

Enjoy your life. You're going to do far more damage on your own than anyone you think who is trying to harm you, could ever do.

Hopefully you'll grow up though, before trying to say you are grown up, and that "age doesn't matter".

If anyone was wondering this was what I said before then.

By the way, you were being much more immature than anything I have done on any site, actually, in my whole entire life, using my age as a comeback.

You think that you are Albert Einstein, well you aren't, you are someone with an above average intelligence with a high ego.

I wanted to know, does age really matter in a conversation in a topic that is irrelevant of age?

#2 Posted by MasterJohn (2471 posts) - - Show Bio

No. BTW: Merry christmas.

#3 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4123 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice: no, one can be arrogant at age 55 and ethical at age 12. Age is just a number. It could be a number that represents years of happiness or years of sadness, it all depends on what you have done in that time that determines who you are.

#4 Posted by cameron83 (6416 posts) - - Show Bio

@MasterJohn said:

No. BTW: Merry christmas.

@joeagentofhand1 said:

@YoungJustice: no, one can be arrogant at age 55 and ethical at age 12. Age is just a number. It could be a number that represents years of happiness or years of sadness, it all depends on what you have done in that time that determines who you are.

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

In many contexts age does indeed matter. In many others age does not matter.

It's a case by case thing.

#7 Posted by SC (11979 posts) - - Show Bio

It can, but not necessarily always either. Its relative really. That being said there can be many more relevant factors like life experience, intelligence, patience, so on that can matter more.

#8 Posted by JediXMan (28031 posts) - - Show Bio

@SC said:

It can, but not necessarily always either. Its relative really. That being said there can be many more relevant factors like life experience, intelligence, patience, so on that can matter more.

This.

#9 Posted by Nefarious (17625 posts) - - Show Bio

Not, really.

#10 Posted by Edamame (28016 posts) - - Show Bio

No. It's simply a number, and "maturity" is entirely subjective.

#11 Posted by thehummingbird (3378 posts) - - Show Bio

it is all about the individual and how they treat their surroundings and how mature they are, or if they are even capable of maturing because it seems many people are not.

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on what the conversation is about, If its about personal experiences in Vietnam and you're 20 you should probably stay out of it but unless its something age specific it shouldn't matter at all as long as you actually know what you're talking about. For instance with my kid many of my friends that are the same age as me that don't have kids and they always try to give me parenting advice despite not knowing s**t about it, that is damned annoying regardless of age.

#13 Edited by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

I have found age doesn't matter as I rarely know the ages of the people I might find myself in a debate with. Granted, there have been many, many times that I would discover the age afterwards and think to myself --- ah, that's why -- and then change my approach to accommodate that. However, using a person's age as a reason for discounting their views is a bit cowardly. If the view is clearly an immature one, then age isn't the concern, it's the maturity.

So no, its not the age. Age only matters when extremely sensitive and X-rated topics are being discussed by extremely young internet users who are privy and participating in said discussion. And only then because most don't have the life experience to understand and therefor are more likely interact unproductively.

#14 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: There are some topics in which age and life experience do matter though, like if you're talking about being an 80 year old living on a fixed income, the guy who actually is the 80 year old probably has a much more valid view than a 16 year old

#15 Posted by TheAcidSkull (15990 posts) - - Show Bio

immaturity matters, age does not, there are probably dozens of users who are younger than me, but they are still for more mature than i am. There are also many users who i've befriended who are older than i am, and age hasn't been able problem. using age in an argument is a direct indication that you've won, and the person you're debating with has nothing else significant to say, so

#16 Posted by Aiden Cross (15513 posts) - - Show Bio

I do find, for me personally, your views change as you get older. Where first i'd give my opinion on a sensitive subject and spoke from the heart. I now think more about what i say and view things from both sides.

#17 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@lykopis: There are some topics in which age and life experience do matter though, like if you're talking about being an 80 year old living on a fixed income, the guy who actually is the 80 year old probably has a much more valid view than a 16 year old

Very good point. Agree, absolutely.

#18 Posted by nickzambuto (11471 posts) - - Show Bio

@YoungJustice said:

I just got finished having a very stupid argument with a person (Who will not be named out of the little bit of respect I have for them) which ended with this comment.

Enjoy your life. You're going to do far more damage on your own than anyone you think who is trying to harm you, could ever do.

Hopefully you'll grow up though, before trying to say you are grown up, and that "age doesn't matter".

By the way, you were being much more immature than anything I have done on any site, actually, in my whole entire life, using my age as a comeback.

You think that you are Albert Einstein, well you aren't, you are someone with an above average intelligence with a high ego.

I wanted to know, does age really matter in a conversation in a topic that is irrelevant of age?

Maturity matters, not age. For example, could be 9 years old for all I care. But then guys like could be in their mid-forties and that wouldn't make them any better.

#19 Posted by Esquire (3742 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto: <3

As others have said, age isn't what matters, maturity is. YNCG, for example, isn't very old. He is, however, one of the most mature and respected posters on the site. Nobody cares that he's in his early teens, because he acts very mature. When you see trolls and other people acting immature, you don't care if they're 14 or 40, you care that they're acting immature and stupid.

Age does, however, have a strong correlation with maturity. There is certainly a ton of variance, but as a general rule I would expect a 23-year-old to be more mature than a 13-year-old. Age can color someone's assumptions about you, but it's really the way a person acts, not their age, that makes people respect or dislike them.

#20 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

@YoungJustice said:

Maturity matters, not age. For example, could be 9 years old for all I care. But then guys like could be in their mid-forties and that wouldn't make them any better.

Exactly.

However, with age, very often, comes maturity. You can be mature in a few ways, and horribly immature in other, but age often makes one more mature overall.

Age also makes certain views more valid, in that you likely have more experiences or experience than the person 5, 10, or 20 years younger than you (depending on what ages we're talking about, anyway). If I'm talking politics with a 6 year old, it doesn't matter how smart and/or mature he is for his age. It's a pointless conversation.

Age also deserves respect, until someone does something to inherently lose the respect you had for them. Respect your elders, and all that.

I know, however, that a large majority will say that age doesn't matter for anything, because to say it does matter, might be similar to discriminating in some people's minds, or "age is just a number". Except it's not. Age actually affects people in such a way that we should take it into account. If someone's 80 and they play pranks on people and are jerks, then they're immature jerks. If a 5 year old plays pranks and gets angry easily, he's just a kid that simply needs to try to learn to control his anger.

#21 Posted by xmenfallen (1355 posts) - - Show Bio

age doesnt matter as long as he or she has a clear mind

#22 Posted by MonsterStomp (13326 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends.

#23 Posted by Elaine (20 posts) - - Show Bio

The years of life experience matter, you can have twenty wasted years and someone else has five full ones and in terms of mental age, they are older. Age does matter, but not the physical age. Also, it depends on the particular circumstance. For example, you can be smart as a young teen but there's plenty of stuff you can't really understand until you do them for yourself which most kids haven't done. This often comes along in the US at least around the college age, where some kids are already completely providing for themselves whereas others are just having a party and coasting off their parents and friends and in a time like that you can really see that age has nothing to do with your birthday but your life choices.

#24 Posted by nick_hero22 (6359 posts) - - Show Bio

@nickzambuto said:

@YoungJustice said:

I am 18

#25 Posted by Thor's hammmer (7184 posts) - - Show Bio

@PowerHerc said:

In many contexts age does indeed matter. In many others age does not matter.

It's a case by case thing.

This.

otherwise this site is filled with Pedo's.... o_0

#26 Posted by nickzambuto (11471 posts) - - Show Bio

@nick_hero22 said:

@nickzambuto said:

@YoungJustice said:

I am 18