Do you think the the Last of Us is overhyped?

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Back then I kept hearing like its was the best work of fiction ever made by nearly every outlet out there. I was not too impressed from what I've seen. I don't think its an bad game by any stretch, but I don't find it nearly as mind-blowing as everyone made it out to be. What exactly did people love it so much though? Not trying to knock fans down, but I'd like to hear specifically why did they like it so much.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Pretty much the same reason I didn't like The Avengers. I've played a little bit of it, thought it was pretty good, but I agree. Its nowhere near the level of stature everyone made it out to be.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It was definitely overhyped.

legacy6364

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

Mike_Fowler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not, really.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@legacy6364: I'd prefer something more elaborate than simple answers like "perfect story, characters, acting and etc" I'd like to hear why exactly its considered so.

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Yes

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was very slow and not very innovative. You walk around with fake Ellen Page the entire game and kill zombies. Not really a masterpiece like it was called. Great game, definitely a 9, but not perfect or a masterpiece. If Joel wouldn't have saved Ellie at the end the story wouldn't have even been any more powerful than any other zombie game or movie.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By rogueshadow  Moderator

No. Frankly I've never cared about two characters as much in any other game bar TWD Season 1. Joel's complex character is as rich as Walter White or Tony Soprano...because ultimately, Joel is evil, we can rationalise for him, but he has doomed humanity for selfish reasons. And he isn't even the main character, Ellie is, the relationship between the two is superior to any other videogame relationship, his redemption arc, the abrupt ending...it made my head explode. The gameplay was also a knockout, many people complain, but I thought it was smooth as hell.

The story, despite not having trope bending properties like GOT, was incredible, it did the tropes and it played them masterfully to 100% efficacy. Every game I've played since has let me down.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Emperorb777

Calling TLOU a masterpiece is completely ridiculous, the only good think about the game is the story everything else is mediocre. You could take away the gameplay and it would make a decent movie, you take away the story and there isn't anything worth mentioning, it didn't do a damn thing new.

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. It was an 8, at best.

A 9 if you're all about story and innovative gameplay means nothing to you.

Jmarshmallow

DraciosV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By DraciosV

I rather liked it. I got pretty engrossed in the story and I really liked Ellie as a character. I thought at first she was going to be way different then she actually is. I was surprised when she swore and at how her and Joel's relationship was. Never played the multi-player but I hear it's good. I like how creative the story was and how gritty it is. Sort of reminded me of the walking dead. I also like the world they made and how it seemed there was a lot too it. The environments were pleasing to look at. The world was relate-able and pretty down to earth, while having a lot of suspense other games lack these days and a good degree of strategy. I liked the science behind the zombies and the game just wasn't a cash cow. Bout sums it up.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#15 JediXMan  Moderator

Nope.

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little bit overhyped, but still one of the best games I ever played. The story was awesome, but sometimes the gameplay felt a little repetitive...

DARK_HAMMER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, it's not at all. It deserved every piece of praise it got, and frankly I'm getting annoyed by folks saying this. It's like they have standards beyond comprehension. There's never been another game that quite hit such a consistent chord on nearly every aspect of great game design. There was a reason I decided to go out of my way and spend the 70 hours it took to Platinum it. It just felt like it was the least I could do. Like any other level of appreciation for it wasn't enough.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dragonborn_ct: Heh. Just saw who the OP was. Don't you think it's a little ironic that this is coming from the Assassin's Creed fanboy? ;P

Mekboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By Mekboy

It's hands down the most overrated game last Gen along with Metal Gear Solid 4. Gamespot got their review right for this game(very rare) .

DarthAznable

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah. I mean you could over analyze the game or under analyze to get different opinions. I think the game was a masterpiece. One of the best last/current gen games released. It's all about what you're into. Any game that's popular is basically overhyped now a days.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

It's hard to say, I personally don't like Survival Horror gameplay but I still loved the game for it's immersion and character interactions. I'd say it's a really good game but a bit overrated - it's not the best piece of fiction evvvaaah or anything. It really depends on your level of exposure to the hype and personal taste.

Avatar image for theamazingspidey
TheAmazingSpidey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Well - haven't played but it looks awesome. I've got it though.

- TAS

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope

Avatar image for knightsofdarkness2
Knightsofdarkness2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I think it's overhyped but it's still a great game. But the game is NOWHERE NEAR as great as people are making it out to be. It's not even the best game so calling it the "best thing in fiction" is just beyond me.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

@jaken7: Its not like I actually like seeing AC pushing down an sequel every year and being compared derisevely to CoD >_>

@jaken7 said:

No, it's not at all. It deserved every piece of praise it got, and frankly I'm getting annoyed by folks saying this. It's like they have standards beyond comprehension. There's never been another game that quite hit such a consistent chord on nearly every aspect of great game design. There was a reason I decided to go out of my way and spend the 70 hours it took to Platinum it. It just felt like it was the least I could do. Like any other level of appreciation for it wasn't enough.

Its really true when you say that people have standards beyond comprehension. When you have some folks saying its the definition of true art and this being the Citizen Kane of gaming, you can't fault certain gamers for having exceedingly high-expectations and not meeting them up.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Most overhyped game next to Half-Life 2.

Both TLOU and Half-Life 2 were good games, but they are by no means the pinnacle of gaming.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad
deactivated-5ee15da0e0aad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

Oh Jake...

nobodyisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's probably my favorite game of all time, it was so emotional and one of the most beautiful things entertainment-wise I've ever experienced.

KittyParker13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course it varies from person to person, but I considered it to be overhyped and downright boring. I didn't even finish it.

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It wasn't overhyped and it isn't overrated. Just play it and judge it for yourself. If you don't like it that's fine, but it doesn't mean it's not something amazing. Your enjoyment of something isn't indicative of it's quality.

Deathstroke02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

EyeDCyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 13

No, it deserved the hype.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

@dragonborn_ct: Heh. Just saw who the OP was. Don't you think it's a little ironic that this is coming from the Assassin's Creed fanboy? ;P

Ay yo! Don't be hating on Assassin's Creed! I'll step you, fool! *jerks upper body toward you in an attempt to make you flinch*

xD