#1 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1138 posts) - - Show Bio

With all the new younger scientists and physicists, do you think that over these years, they've surpassed Einstein. His theories are alwayas being debunked. What do you think?

#2 Edited by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

....Do you understand what Science is?

The knowledge is accumulated and more is learned throughout the years.

That's like comparing the knowledge of a Physicist today to one like 500 years ago...Also,every scientist has some theories of their own being debunked...it's part of being a scientist.And their not constantly being debunked.

And contrary to popular belief in TV shows,not every scientist is 50.

#3 Edited by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

Im not sure, they say he was able to access like 15% of their brain.

#4 Posted by Aiden Cross (15526 posts) - - Show Bio

That's subjective. The scientists and physicists of today can be 'debunked' in a century from now. But he gave things to think about that no one else thought about. And that'll happen to the scientists of today. That's the beauty of science, imo. We build on the blocks that others placed before us :)

#5 Edited by cameron83 (7643 posts) - - Show Bio

That's subjective. The scientists and physicists of today can be 'debunked' in a century from now. But he gave things to think about that no one else thought about. And that'll happen to the scientists of today. That's the beauty of science, imo. We build on the blocks that others placed before us :)

#6 Edited by Myrmidon_ (5083 posts) - - Show Bio

Any modern physics student who picks up a book will be more "knowledgeable" then him rather easily simply beacuse of the increase in things that have been discovered. But does this mean they have surpassed his intellect beacuse they know more? No, he was the founder of most of those things, but there are many many university student, scientists and just casual science readers who know more about the universe than he did, some of us here will possibly know more than him in some fields, he would have 0 knowledge on certain biological things, he was possibly not even be able to grasp it easily beacuse of the change and depth that is different from his time.

BUT

Does this mean people are smarter than him? NO, it just means that we have access to more material that other have given too us.

#7 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10130 posts) - - Show Bio

#8 Posted by joshmightbe (24767 posts) - - Show Bio

@savagedragon: The whole thing about people only being able to access 10% of their brain is a myth. Everyone uses 100% of their brain all the time. Maybe only around 10 or 15% is actually used for conscious thought but the rest of your brain is doing other things like collecting information from your senses and controlling involuntary systems such as your lungs and kidneys. The heart is really the only part of your body that doesn't require your brain to function.

#9 Posted by cyberninja (10383 posts) - - Show Bio

I got two words for you "quantum physics."

#10 Posted by SC (13405 posts) - - Show Bio

There were scientists around at the same time as Einstein and before Einstein who surpassed Einstein depending on what qualities you are measuring. Popularity and ability are two very different things, and in an age of news papers and interviews and photographs, Einstein became somewhat of a celebrity and pop culture icon something rare as far as scientists compared to say movie stars. A reason why he still resonates in many societies a lot more than say the movie actors of his time. Einstein was very bright and very knowledgable and his contributions were measurable as far as significance and ramifications, both in his time and with retrospect. However say if you take knowledge itself? Broad topic, many people today who aren't even scientists are going to be more knowledgeable than him, because of how much more knowledge exists and is accessible in a general sense. Then again knowledge in what? I mean the OP question can be interpreted so many different ways.

For me personally I find Einstein underrated when you consider how many actors and singers are pop culture icons, but then I find Einstein overrated when you consider how science actually works and all the people of the past works who allowed Einstein to do what he did because science doesn't work in a bubble, its the greatest collaboration effort mankind has ever undertaken and there are and have been many scientists as bright if not brighter and more knowledgeable than Einstein who won't be remembered the same way he is because there are more factors involved as far as whose images gets used in posters and memes than just those factors, and thats okay, thats reality, peoples perceptions don't match up with reality. Einstein should be viewed as a gateway drug - people should go and Google 100 greatest scientists of all time, and consider, wonder, question, analyze, contemplate, hypothesize and reflect on such names and what they did and how and why and how whatever website you looked at compiled their lists and why you think they might be wrong with your own reasons. Then try look for a list of 100 greatest scientific discoveries and see how such a list might differ and what the implications of the differences may be.

Scientists are humans so you will find scientists who may like and want fame and popularity and thats okay, but good scientists will want you to think and surpass them in science because appeals to authority, appeals to the status quo and complacency and not asking questions are the antithesis of science.

Moderator Online
#11 Edited by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Einstein didn't even accept the idea of the big bang, so of course science has advanced past the intelligence of of one genius mind.

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (35159 posts) - - Show Bio

I know how to use an IPhone and Einstein didn't, does that make me smarter?

#13 Edited by Jezer (3179 posts) - - Show Bio

Im not sure, they say he was able to access like 15% of their brain.

Everyone accesses 100% of their brain (unless they have like some type of brain injury).

#14 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

@jezer: I meant that people say Einstein had more conscious capability of using his brain towards his endeavors. I dont know the details but thats what people say.

#15 Edited by WillPayton (9829 posts) - - Show Bio

With all the new younger scientists and physicists, do you think that over these years, they've surpassed Einstein. His theories are alwayas being debunked. What do you think?

Would you care to explain how Einstein has been "debunked"? Since you claim he is "always" being debunked, how about 3 examples of this?

#16 Edited by Jezer (3179 posts) - - Show Bio

@jezer: I meant that people say Einstein had more conscious capability of using his brain towards his endeavors. I dont know the details but thats what people say.

Who says that? Quote me someone or some source saying that.

I don't even know what a "conscious capability of using his brain towards his endeavors" actually means.

#17 Posted by PowerHerc (85336 posts) - - Show Bio

In many ways they have but have one had as enormous an impact on science as a whole? Doubtful.

#18 Posted by SavageDragon (2252 posts) - - Show Bio

@jezer: Im sure if you applied yourself you could figure it out man!

#19 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (20336 posts) - - Show Bio

No. You really have to read his work to understand the insane intelligence behind it. Though the scientists today have more advanced models, they also have more advanced facilities, and a soundly explained basis, pioneered by him.

And as far as I know, his theories haven't been 'debunked'. One claim about debunking it was proved to be technical error..

#20 Posted by ssejllenrad (12790 posts) - - Show Bio

Does a vandal who adds some sprinkle of paint over the Mona Lisa considered surpassing Michaelangelo? That will answer your question.

#21 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

Scientist are more understanding of the universe now but more intelligent? NO.

#22 Posted by BlueLantern1995 (2448 posts) - - Show Bio

Intelligence wise? No. Knowledge wise? Yes(simply because we can build on what he and other scientists have told us).

#23 Edited by ShootingNova (19126 posts) - - Show Bio

What we're mainly seeing is a push in technology and scientific knowledge/understanding that was lacking in Einstein's time, because if there was somebody who has truly surpassed Einstein, then he would be having a big (probably bigger than Einstein's) impact on the scientific world. There isn't any of that really happening now.

Of course, Einstein is wrong in some ways: his equations break down when it comes to Black Holes, etc., but there's always flaws in somebody; there isn't any perfect being.

@pfcoolio14 said:

Always being debunked......?

I don't think so. Never heard anything about this recently, so kindly educate me on what was debunked, in fact, I'd like to see multiple of these "debunks", especially since they are apparently always happening.

#24 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (20336 posts) - - Show Bio

What we're mainly seeing is a push in technology and scientific knowledge/understanding that was lacking in Einstein's time, because if there was somebody who has truly surpassed Einstein, then he would be having a big (probably bigger than Einstein's) impact on the scientific world. There isn't any of that really happening now.

Of course, Einstein is wrong in some ways: his equations break down when it comes to Black Holes, etc., but there's always flaws in somebody; there isn't any perfect being.

@pfcoolio14 said:

Always being debunked......?

I don't think so. Never heard anything about this recently, so kindly educate me on what was debunked, in fact, I'd like to see multiple of these "debunks", especially since they are apparently always happening.

It's newtonian mechanics which breaks down around v comparable to c and very small masses iirc, that's what caused him to make relativistic model..

#25 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

no specific field. just the homogeneous mass that is science. of course. today knowledge is muuuuuch more accessible and more of it. for example in medicine textbooks updated every 5 years. do you know what is the current edition of gray's anatomy? 40th in 2008.

#26 Posted by Jezer (3179 posts) - - Show Bio

@jezer: Im sure if you applied yourself you could figure it out man!

No....Its not like Einstein was a brain bender; consciously manipulating different aspects of his brain "I'm gonna use my hippocampus to do..." People don't consciously use their brain....that wouldn't make sense as your brain is what allows you that consciousness in the first place.

http://exploringthemind.com/the-mind/brain-scans-can-reveal-your-decisions-7-seconds-before-you-decide

What exactly do you mean?

Also, when you say that's what "they say", if you're quoting popular culture, then you should know that you probably shouldn't quote popular culture.

#27 Posted by Alexander505 (2177 posts) - - Show Bio

Einstein was already surpassed, his name was Nikola Tesla.

#28 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7882 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, Most of the legendary scientists are remembered for being pioneers of their respective field, not necessarily the best at it.

#29 Posted by Illuminatus (9489 posts) - - Show Bio

Einstein was already surpassed, his name was Nikola Tesla.

Except they studied very different subjects and applied them in very different ways. Comparing Tesla and Einstein is like comparing Edison and Currie.

#30 Posted by WillPayton (9829 posts) - - Show Bio

It's obvious this thread is just a troll thread.

"If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants." - Isaac Newton

#31 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1138 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton:

The only general ones I can think of off the top of my head are the discovery of Neutrinos that went faster than light. Which combated the theory of relativity. And also the recent one where people said it was possible that light didn't always move at a constant speed. The others that I see usually go deep into the physics and calculus of things and I can't explain that.

#32 Posted by Pfcoolio14 (1138 posts) - - Show Bio

@willpayton:

No this isn't a troll thread. If I wanted to make a troll thread, you'd know. The other 20 or so people who came didn't have a problem answering the thread question.

#33 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (12625 posts) - - Show Bio

BATMAN!!!!

#34 Edited by WillPayton (9829 posts) - - Show Bio

@pfcoolio14 said:

@willpayton:

The only general ones I can think of off the top of my head are the discovery of Neutrinos that went faster than light. Which combated the theory of relativity. And also the recent one where people said it was possible that light didn't always move at a constant speed. The others that I see usually go deep into the physics and calculus of things and I can't explain that.

Neutrinos dont move faster than light. The Theory of Relativity is alive and well, thank you.

Light does move at a constant speed, which is called c. This is one of the fundamental constants in physics, and is in no danger of being disproved.

So far the only thing you've "debunked" is the idea that you know anything about physics. So, if you're not trolling, and obviously dont know much about physics, why start a thread saying that Einstein's theories are always being debunked, when this is completely and utterly untrue?

#35 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (26988 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing has been showed to go faster then light in a vacuum period.The only thing that is believed to be faster then light in the expansion of the Universe and it is not violating relativity because nothing is traveling in in vacuum,it is the expansion of space/time itself.

#36 Edited by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

Certainly without a doubt.

#37 Posted by TotalBalance (742 posts) - - Show Bio

Science builds off the shoulders of giants, that is just how it works. Of course we have advanced our knowledge of the universe since Einstein, he would be terribly unhappy if we hadn't! It is worth noting that Einstein's model for gravitation is still the one we use today (as a working quantum theory of gravity has not yet been fully worked out) which is quite a feat.

As a mind though I don't think we have someone on Einsteins level alive with us today, people like Newton and Einstein who revolutionize their fields and are decades ahead of their time are very rare and we only seem to get men like them every few generations.

#38 Posted by ShootingNova (19126 posts) - - Show Bio

Neutrinos were discovered ages ago, and not once has it been proven that it exceeds the speed of light. If you were talking about CNGS project, then they made an error (in fact, they found two problems with their test).

#39 Edited by Necrotic_Lycanthrope (2388 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd argue that they've convinced themselves that they are greater then Einstein. The real "geniuses" that are interviewed for television almost always have a God complex about how right they are and how wrong everybody else is.

Not even the freaking Geology guys act like that. Or even Jack Horner in paleontology (although he tries too hard to be the sole T-Rex expert around.)