Do you think Rap music influences crime?

BiteMe-Fanboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By BiteMe-Fanboy

First off, I'm not hating on Rap. I actually like some of it.
But today at work i was having a conversation with my friend and we were talking about Rap music (mainly mainstream), and if it influences people to commit crimes.
Most rap songs (mainstream) are about drugs, killing, gang life, etc. as we all know. Could this be "responsible' for why people turn to a gang life and start commiting crimes instead of doing better things for themselves? Do they consider the rappers their idols and let their music influence them to do crimes and live a 'thug' or 'gang' life.

I'm not saying the rappers are intentionally trying to get people to live this way, im sure most of them would go against their fans becoming criminals, but people are stupid and let things get to their heads and do stupid stuff.
I'm not saying I believe that rap music is somewhat responsible for this, i just want to see some of yalls opinion. 
I am aware that crime often starts due to living in poverty and being poor

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By King_Saturn
not really... crime has been around way before rap music has... and crime was just as evil as it was yesteryear as it is in modern days... 
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By velle37

Some of it yes.... 
Kids hear it and think it's cool, and imitate it... 
Most are pressured because if they are not thuggish then they are not percieved as "real" or "street" or whatever....... 

I don't think rap misic, or rap musician purposefully tries to contribute to crime, but I do see it as a miniscule factor......... 

History, economy, and social structure have far more effect on the crime rate than a single genre of music, so if any "effort" was to be put into a solution, or any emotional stigma to be placed upon that which is to be blamed, it should start there.......
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By velle37
@King Saturn said:
not really... crime has been around way before rap music has... and crime was just as evil as it was yesteryear as it is in modern days... 

Not to mention the actual crimes commited... 
Before rap -----> Holocaust, slavery, crusades, etc... 

Rap music-----> selling drugs? petty theft, murder? 

Both are wrong, but the scale of the crime, and the stigma placed don't match logically.......
mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mikethekiller

No not really it might play a miniscule part but their are other much bigger factors that contribute to crime 

Avatar image for prince_cortsether
Prince CortSether

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Prince CortSether
Before rap -----> Holocaust, slavery, crusades, etc... 

Same things are happening today, they just aren't spoken about.
OmegaDynasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By OmegaDynasty

No, not really. It can be an outlet for some, like violent movies, and violent video games, etc. 

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

It's the other way around.Crime influenced Rap.

GoldenStar66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GoldenStar66

Nope.

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mikethekiller
@Vance Astro said:
this
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@velle37 said:
Some of it yes.... Kids hear it and think it's cool, and imitate it... Most are pressured because if they are not thuggish then they are not percieved as "real" or "street" or whatever.......  
This isn't even true.....this is the biggest misconception with the music.The only people who feel like they have to imitate this kind of stuff is other rappers so they can sell records.
_Sojourn_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 4

#12  Edited By _Sojourn_

I think crime influences crime

Wise Son

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Wise Son
@King Saturn said:

Bingo. People are just trying to place blame on something they don't understand or don't like. Not talking about the OP personally but it's a common misconception. The only reason why mainstream rap focuses on drugs, sex and killing is because people tend to write about where they're from or about something that let's the targeted demographic relate to them. Suffice to say, that just happens to be people in low income neighborhoods high in crime that happen to be mostly minorities.  You'll be hard pressed to find someone in those type of neighborhoods that don't like rap. Nowadays mainstream rap has become more poppy and catchy so it's demographics are spreading. 

EDIT: Rap's influence is miniscule at worst and non existent at best.
biggkeem89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By biggkeem89

No. The crime is already there. However it does often help perpetuate the cycle. The images portrayed in rap music are shaped by its audience, which, and I'm not trying to be racial, is predominantly white.(Honestly, Rap songs often make it to the top of the Billboard Chart. Even if every minority person was to purchase and like a song, there would no way the song would reach the top of the national chart, and thus the white majority must make up the major audience for rap music). Negative images such as the "drug dealer" and "thug" plays to societies love affair with the "hero-badman" archetype. Sense it sells to the audience, the images are promoted and sold more over more positive images. Young people, especially minorities(which includes includes poor white), are easily swayed by these images, looking to make a way out of bad situation. The youth see these images as a means of escape, and follow the example, perpetuating the cycle already existing in those bad environments.

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By cascadeking09
@Vance Astro said:
@velle37 said:
Some of it yes.... Kids hear it and think it's cool, and imitate it... Most are pressured because if they are not thuggish then they are not percieved as "real" or "street" or whatever.......  
This isn't even true.....this is the biggest misconception with the music.The only people who feel like they have to imitate this kind of stuff is other rappers so they can sell records.
They don't even imitate it they just act like they do.
Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

Only because 95% of it sucks, and bad music makes people angry.

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#17  Edited By cyberninja

No

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#18  Edited By joshmightbe

If all the songs about crime, and violent movies and video games disappeared today there would still be crime and violence tomorrow because crime has existed ever since we invented laws and violence is a part of nature plain and simple  

nobodythere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By nobodythere

Do i feel rap music influences crime? No. Do I feel crime influences rap music? Yes. A lot of the songs are about plotting, committing, escaping or enjoying the gains from a crime. More are about how many crimes the artist or character has done. A great deal of songs however are not about crime at all. Rap, like any genre of music, has story telling songs, head nodding songs, sensuality songs, bragging songs, humour songs and so on. Could argue a great deal of the more radio played and popular rap or hip hop is based around sexuality then crime, same as rock, metal, country or pop.

Manchine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Manchine
@velle37 said:
For the most part no it doesn't BUT there are enough stupid people out there that makes the above true.
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@BiteMe-Fanboy
Not so much. People inspire themselves with their own agendas. Someone could think he's John Ritter because he trips over furniture and lives with two attractive females who think he's funny, but odds are they he met Don Knotts or lived the life of a struggle as a B-grade comedian paying off his hospital bills and usual debts, which stemmed from Problem Child 2. People think because a rap song hits a nerve they're automatically synced, that the consumer/artist relationship is more than monetary and industry-borne. You can understand the words of a poet, but you can't relate no matter how many ears you send to your fiancee. What.
Mutant God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Mutant God

no I think greed influences crime
TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#23  Edited By TheGoldenOne
@Vance Astro said:
This.
Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Billy Batson

nah

Kastiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Kastiel

Yes, the same reason how some kids thought acting out Grand Theft Auto in real life was okay. To be honest this is no more than 5% of the population.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@cascadeking09 said:
@Vance Astro said:
@velle37 said:
Exactly.People are more likely to imitate a rappers lingo,styles or demeanor rather then his\her actions themselves.
TheCerealKillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#27  Edited By TheCerealKillz

Some of it yes. 

But when people like Lupe Fiasco are out there......

cascadeking09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By cascadeking09
@Vance Astro: Yup.
Static Shock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Static Shock
@Vance Astro said:
Kudos
longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#30  Edited By longbowhunter

Anyone who is going to commit a crime because of what they hear in a song are weak minded individuals who are gonna do it anyway. I'm a BIG fan of bands like the Mentors, GG Allin, and the Meatmen. Most of they're songs are sexist anthems about rape, torture and murder. I've never even had so much as a speeding ticket. It just doesnt work that way.
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By velle37
@Vance Astro said:
@velle37 said:

Other rappers aren't the only ones who imitate criminal behavior to be cool... 
I've seen firsthand in my neighborhood what I mentioned above.....
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By velle37
@Vance Astro said:
@cascadeking09 said:
@Vance Astro said:
@velle37 said:
Exactly.People are more likely to imitate a rappers lingo,styles or demeanor rather then his\her actions themselves.

I agree with this..... 
My point is that rap music isn't a significant factor in terms of the crime rate... 
But it increases the likelihood that idiots will put themselves into situations that lead to criminal behavior...
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@velle37 said:
Other rappers aren't the only ones who imitate criminal behavior to be cool... I've seen firsthand in my neighborhood what I mentioned above.....
When you said you've seen it in your neighborhood..what exactly was the crime that was committed?
Aronmorales

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#34  Edited By Aronmorales
@velle37 said:
Some of it yes.... Kids hear it and think it's cool, and imitate it... Most are pressured because if they are not thuggish then they are not percieved as "real" or "street" or whatever.......  I don't think rap misic, or rap musician purposefully tries to contribute to crime, but I do see it as a miniscule factor.........  History, economy, and social structure have far more effect on the crime rate than a single genre of music, so if any "effort" was to be put into a solution, or any emotional stigma to be placed upon that which is to be blamed, it should start there.......
This.
Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Primmaster64

kinda

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By joshmightbe

I'm so sick of this blame every thing except the criminal bullsh*t if someone is going to commit a crime they're going to do it whether or not a song tells them to. And why is it just rap getting this crap for? Johnny Cash sings about murdering someone for the hell of it and no one claims he's encouraging homicide, Ted Nuggent screams that we should kill the president thru a megaphone in his stage shows and no one says a word, the dixie chicks had a number one hit song about vigilante murder and everybody claims its just girl power, but if a rapper mentions smoking pot the whole world claims he's trying to destroy America can anyone explain this to me? 

Susanoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Susanoo

There has been crime throughout history. However, bad rap music can affect a person psychologically. 

@Vance Astro 
Agreed and it does have a circular chain reaction involving all of the said factors.
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By velle37
@Vance Astro said:
@velle37 said:
Other rappers aren't the only ones who imitate criminal behavior to be cool... I've seen firsthand in my neighborhood what I mentioned above.....
When you said you've seen it in your neighborhood..what exactly was the crime that was committed?

Drug dealing, purchasing/owning illegalweapons, stupid stuff like that..... 
But like I said, rap is a miniscule factor in crime...... 
The said things could have been said about rock (drug usage), or violent video games, or movies, or any form of media...... 
Rap is just stigmatized because the group of people it is usually associated with is stigmatized...... 
Like I said, historical, and socioeconomical factors contribute much more than a single genre of music ever could to crime rates.....
Darkerman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Darkerman

Of course not how do explain all does heinous acts mankind committed before rap?

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Darkerman: Other music from the original gangsters like Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner and Vivaldi.
JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#41  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

Music as well as all forms of media reflect culture and society.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@velle37 said:
@Vance Astro said:
@velle37 said:
Drug dealing, purchasing/owning illegalweapons, stupid stuff like that..... But like I said, rap is a miniscule factor in crime...... The said things could have been said about rock (drug usage), or violent video games, or movies, or any form of media...... Rap is just stigmatized because the group of people it is usually associated with is stigmatized...... Like I said, historical, and socioeconomical factors contribute much more than a single genre of music ever could to crime rates.....
Well you're right I can't sit here and deny that I know people who sell drugs because of hip-hop.I think it depends on where you live though because I live in the burbs.People want to imitate rappers because they life of someone who lives in "the hood" is something that they don't experience so they want to get closer to it...but the rapper who made the songs that this person is following probably sold drugs because they saw it in their environment.So you don't know if people who sell drugs in those same neighborhoods are following hip-hop or trying to make a living.
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By ssejllenrad

Depends on the rap. A lot of gangsta rap do. Remember the Eastside v Westside? Though there's a deeper cause of violence than just the diss songs, it still played a role in it. But mostly mainstream ones don't really contribute to crime.

Avatar image for deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1
deactivated-5bf70359d2dd1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#45  Edited By SC  Moderator

Poverty and lack of education influences crime. Its a generalization that varies in degree that people affected by poverty and lack of education listen to a certain type of music, because they are sold a certain type of music, however music's and specifically rap music target audience is very, very broad and in that sense if you weigh up the numbers, you'd find that its influence as far as crime is fairly minimal and insignificant. 

Deadcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 35

#46  Edited By Deadcool

No, people is not that stupid...
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@ssejllenrad said:
Depends on the rap. A lot of gangsta rap do. Remember the Eastside v Westside? 
Eastside vs. Westside didn't really have anything to do with rap it just happened to be rappers that were in the middle of it.
velle37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By velle37

@sesquipedalophobe said:
@Darkerman: Other music from the original gangsters like Beethoven, Mozart, Wagner and Vivaldi.

Lol
Vitality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Vitality

No. 

I think that some people are just insane. 

You can't blame a media if there are other people out there listening to the same music but not out commiting crimes.
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#50  Edited By Magian
@Vitality said:
No.  I think that some people are just insane.  You can't blame a media if there are other people out there listening to the same music but not out commiting crimes.
Pretty much this.