Do you think parents hitting their kids is justifiable ?

• 74 results
Avatar image for consolemaster001
consolemaster001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

Poll Do you think parents hitting their kids is justifiable ? (54 votes)

Yes, it is in some cases. 74%
No, it is never justifiable. 26%
 • 
Avatar image for thetimestreamer
theTimeStreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

search before making a thread.

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

Loading Video...

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There's a difference between discipline and abuse.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

There's a difference between discipline and abuse.

yes if you beat your kid until you are satisfied then that is abuse. beating them a lil is discipline :D

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 200

User Lists: 1

@judasnixon said:

Loading Video...

2 things wrong with what Louis C.K. said in that clip

1) Women can stop being a mother any time they want. Men can't.

2) He is mistaking, like so many other people do because they never stop and think about what they're saying, Violence and Correction. Abuse and Spanking. He thinks that hitting means stomping the child into the ground or some stupid shit like that and that this hitting is done before speaking to the child and trying to get them to understand right actions and wrong actions. Safe actions and Dangerous actions. etc. Responsible people, like parents are supposed to be, should have some level of understanding of the appropriate measure of correction needed.

He speaks of hitting a child simply because they aren't doing what "you want" and his voice is saying in a tone of anger. This is just an idiotic thing to say. 1) if you are angry in the way that he is making it out to be the situation, you are in no way of sound mind to be making the decision to correct anyone other than yourself. 2) A parent WANTS their child to be safe, be moral, and make good choices. There is a difference between spanking a child for doing some action that is dangerous that they do over and over again and just haven't paid the consequences for... and them saying "I'm gay" and you punching them in the face. They are both things that you may not want, but there is a clear difference between you are putting yourself and/or others in danger or breaking some law vs you are making a choice that I disagree with.

This is again, another reason why feminism and religion is shitty as it is the source that is promoting these kinds of blurring of the distinctions between things that sounds really similar, but anyone who is soundly judging the situation would know there is a difference between.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Discipline takes many forms...use what works for your child

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

I don't believe in hitting your kids/spanking. I've only been spanked once in my life, and my father actually apologized to me a half hour later. My brothers have never been spanked. And all three of us turned out fine. We just got disciplined in different ways and were taught to be responsible for our actions. We got grounded, privileges taken away (when i was really young the 'naughty chair'). I think you can achieve more with patience and being consistent. My grandmother for example, i would never eat my vegetables as a kid (and i was incredibly stubborn). She sat with me at the table every night i was there, if it got cold she'd heat it up or make it anew. And she sat there until I either ate it, or fell asleep. She continued doing that until I started eating vegetables out of my own free will.

That being said, i don't have kids of my own. So it's possible my views will change if I ever have kids of my own.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

How about more options to the poll? Since I am sure there are people who think hitting a child is always justifiable.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

In extreme cases yes, say for an example the kid pulls a knife on you id punch the shit out of that brat.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#12  Edited By Pyrogram

@theacidskull said:

@bruxae said:

In extreme cases yes, say for an example the kid pulls a knife on you id punch the shit out of that brat.

not if he/she was your kid you wouldn't. :P

You....would...O_o...that happens quite often. Ever heard of domestic abuse?

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: Meh, you can comment on and imagine a situation a hundred times but you'll never know what you -actually- are gonna do when it happens for real.

For a more serious reply I can honestly say I wouldnt frown on a parent for hitting his/her kid HARD if the kid was actively trying to stab said parent, although I would question the parents ability to properly raise a child. Punching the crap out off might be pushing it though. :P

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Pyrogram

@pyrogram said:

@theacidskull said:

not if he/she was your kid you wouldn't. :P

You....would...O_o...that happens quite often. Ever heard of domestic abuse?

well it's usually the dad who does it. BESIDES I WAS IMPLYING that she'd love her kid so much she wouldn't be able to harm her/him, what's so bad about that?

if the kid wants to stab a parent I seriously doubt the parent loved the child in the first place.

More than one perspective in life.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By renamed040924

@durakken said:

@judasnixon said:

How do you figure that?

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrogram: I meant that a person could love their child and their child could snap for no good reason.

Pyrogram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Pyrogram
TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By TifaLockhart
JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken: Louis C.K. is a C-O-M-E-D-I-A-N. Chill out and get your sense of humor checked, he's not serious.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My mom beat me once when I was being a jerk, she hit me when I got out the bath tube with a belt. I was never a jerk again,

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto said:

@durakken said:

@judasnixon said:

How do you figure that?

Adoption and Abandonment, both are legal for a mother to do. Both are illegal for a father to do.

Blood_Red_Rage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A little whooping on the rear when you're out of line is fine.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I think that parents should never hit their kids or spank them.Sometimes kids can't understand what you are talking to them but spanking or hitting isn't the answer to that.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken said:

@nickzambuto said:

@durakken said:

@judasnixon said:

How do you figure that?

Adoption and Abandonment, both are legal for a mother to do. Both are illegal for a father to do.

What? It's okay for mothers to just leave? That can't be true, can it?

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes its justifiable, but to a point. Abuse is of course bad. My parents and grandparents got it so much worse than I did. But, hey they came out pretty good. It was their parent's choice on whether they should get hit/spanked and it should always remain that way.

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Durakken

@jaken7: Actually what comedians say is what they mean seriously. It's a matter of spotting what the joke is and why they think it is a joke. For example he's emphasizing that it is absurd for us to allow (which is just outright a lie) adults to hit children because we don't allow people in general to hit each other (which is not true) and asserting that hitting is done in anger and so that makes it ok because we all lose our temper sometimes. He is pointing out a specific absurdity which he is supporting by facts to help us see it as more absurd thus increasing the humor by increasing the absurdity, because what you are seeing your head is being morphed into some image of these giants taking out their anger on these "little people" while acting like it is the biggest atrocity to hit each other.

What I'm saying is that what he is saying is objectively wrong, because we don't allow what he is talking about. The only reason you might think we do is because you have a massively distorted vision of the world, much like what Louis is presenting as the absurdity to begin with.

An argument that one may have of what I just said is that, no he's not doing this, he's parodying...in which case you would have to that he is taking on the beliefs of someone and pointing out that that general persona is what he is pointing out is the absurdity, rather than what he is clearly highlighting. He would have to change his presentation all together to make it a parody, but whatever.

Pokeysteve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

I'd like to see more kids get smacked in Walmart....

Durakken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nickzambuto said:

@durakken said:

@nickzambuto said:

@durakken said:

@judasnixon said:

How do you figure that?

I was being a little hyperbolic.

Men can give up their child for adoption, but can't relinquish their child support stuff.

Mothers can give up their child and have no child support to deal with.

A Mother can abandon a child in a church or other "safe haven" places for up 72 hours after the birth to a month after...legally.

The trick is how the law deals with abandonment after that and the punishments for it...

Fines, removing parental rights, jail time... The problem comes from the enforcement of these punishment. Men generally have fines levied, jail time, and parental right removed, but still have to pay child support, while mothers have their parental rights removed... which is what they wanted, but tend not to serve jail time or have fines levied. So while it's technically illegal, the usual way the "Justice" system plays out it is as I said.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@durakken said:

@nickzambuto said:

@durakken said:

@nickzambuto said:

@durakken said:

@judasnixon said:

How do you figure that?

I was being a little hyperbolic.

Men can give up their child for adoption, but can't relinquish their child support stuff.

Mothers can give up their child and have no child support to deal with.

A Mother can abandon a child in a church or other "safe haven" places for up 72 hours after the birth to a month after...legally.

The trick is how the law deals with abandonment after that and the punishments for it...

Fines, removing parental rights, jail time... The problem comes from the enforcement of these punishment. Men generally have fines levied, jail time, and parental right removed, but still have to pay child support, while mothers have their parental rights removed... which is what they wanted, but tend not to serve jail time or have fines levied. So while it's technically illegal, the usual way the "Justice" system plays out it is as I said.

Crazy stuff. Thanks for the lesson.

Emperorb777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Emperorb777

Damn Hippies!

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't personally, but there are credible excuses for physical punishments. I just think the form of punishment is an antithesis for the way western society is supposed to solve its problems

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Skyfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The occasional smack is fine, but full on striking a kid? No.

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@durakken said:

@judasnixon said:

Loading Video...

2) He is mistaking, like so many other people do because they never stop and think about what they're saying, Violence and Correction. Abuse and Spanking. He thinks that hitting means stomping the child into the ground or some stupid shit like that and that this hitting is done before speaking to the child and trying to get them to understand right actions and wrong actions. Safe actions and Dangerous actions. etc. Responsible people, like parents are supposed to be, should have some level of understanding of the appropriate measure of correction needed.

He speaks of hitting a child simply because they aren't doing what "you want" and his voice is saying in a tone of anger. This is just an idiotic thing to say. 1) if you are angry in the way that he is making it out to be the situation, you are in no way of sound mind to be making the decision to correct anyone other than yourself. 2) A parent WANTS their child to be safe, be moral, and make good choices. There is a difference between spanking a child for doing some action that is dangerous that they do over and over again and just haven't paid the consequences for... and them saying "I'm gay" and you punching them in the face. They are both things that you may not want, but there is a clear difference between you are putting yourself and/or others in danger or breaking some law vs you are making a choice that I disagree with.

This is again, another reason why feminism and religion is shitty as it is the source that is promoting these kinds of blurring of the distinctions between things that sounds really similar, but anyone who is soundly judging the situation would know there is a difference between.

yeah, LCK is not a very intelligent person

Avatar image for betatesthighlander1
Betatesthighlander1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

people don't say that enough

reactor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pokeysteve said:

people don't say that enough

Agreed. "Hitting", as in striking, punching, slapping - that's a no-no from me. That said, I'm all for spanking in appropriate circumstances. I got spanked a LOT (I can man up and say I actually deserved what I got) and I became better for it. The reason why physical discipline has gotten such a bad rep is because, like all things people use, it has been abused. Abuse is wrong on more levels than can be spoken, and I despise it. However, discipline is a teaching mechanism, and a damn effective one when properly utilized.

Stevens61310

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hitting is never OK. Discipline done right is OK.

I have 4 kids. All adults now. I was stricter with my 2 oldest than my 2 youngest and some times that included the occasional spanking. Now my 2 oldest graduated HS, graduated college, have extremely well paying jobs, and are very well off. My 2 youngest did not graduate HS, played hit and miss with the job market, and essentially are working menial jobs.

Am I here to say that strict discipline with the occasional spanking is the way to go? No not necessarily. But it is interesting how it worked in my household.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@russellmania77: yes if you beat your kid until you are satisfied then that is abuse. beating them a lil is discipline :D

LMAO! That's messed up, homey!

@nelomaxwell: My mom beat me once when I was being a jerk, she hit me when I got out the bath tube with a belt. I was never a jerk again,

Damn man (lol)! Moms set you up for the okey-doke, playa!

@the_last_son_of_czarnia: Why did you change the avatar pic?:(

@pokeysteve: I'd like to see more kids get smacked in Walmart....

I was thinking Food Lion, but that'll work....

@aiden_cross: That being said, i don't have kids of my own. So it's possible my views will change if I ever have kids of my own.

Yes. Yes they will.....

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yup, but talk first. If they don't listen to talking, then they'll have to learn the hard way.

Of course using wires and just swinging them at the child is abuse, but there is nothing wrong with getting a belt, folding it into 2, and spanking them until they get the message.

MethoKi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Being raised in a country that does such things, I think it's okay. All it really is is discipline. Me nor much of the people I knew growing up turned out bad.

Abuse is a different story.

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah yes, I still vividly remember my father throwing his shoes at my face.

Avatar image for heraldofganthet
HeraldofGanthet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By HeraldofGanthet

@inlife: Ah yes, I still vividly remember my father throwing his shoes at my face.

Wait, what? The hell?!?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 the_stegman  Moderator

I say no, just take their sh*t away and say you're not getting it back til you act like a normal person.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ARMIV2

In specific and severe situations, I feel it to be alright.

OverLordArhas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

A painless lesson is one without meaning