#1 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

Recently we realized the Psvita and 3ds weren't as successful as some of their predecessor handheld games. Do you think that Smartphones and such are the cause of this. Since now we have access to alot more free games on our smartphones.

EDIT: Could a mod please move this to Off-Topic

#2 Posted by Strider92 (16080 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as i'm concerned handheld gaming died with the gameboy color.

#3 Edited by Pfcoolio14 (1139 posts) - - Show Bio

@strider92:

Well I don't mean quality, I mean how much people buy it.

#4 Edited by deadpoolrules (4683 posts) - - Show Bio

True

#5 Edited by Sideslash (5907 posts) - - Show Bio

Agreed.

#6 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

The 3DS seemed to be a bad idea from the start, as the DS sold very well. As for the PsVita, no idea, maybe its too expensive or just a niche system. I think they just need to make better games. Nintendo's slipping a little and just pumps out a Pokemon game when they want to make a splash but those are not what they used to be.

#7 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless they get Pokemon then no, Pokemon is the only thing keeping Handheld alive

#8 Posted by joeagentofhand1 (4362 posts) - - Show Bio

Unless they get Pokemon then no, Pokemon is the only thing keeping Handheld alive

this(though the main reason I wanted to get a 3Ds was for Paper Mario, I changed my mind once seeing the game)

#9 Posted by JediXMan (29518 posts) - - Show Bio

They're the new generation of handheld games. Handheld games are almost dead; the developers just didn't know how to make good portable games. Games on phones / tablets are the next thing.

That said: not the iPhone. I think smart phones and tablets in general have killed handheld games. But I get this feeling that things like the iPad won't be as popular in the next few years. Samsung is doing unbelievably well right now.

#10 Posted by Bruxae (12571 posts) - - Show Bio

This.