• 125 results
#101 Posted by russellmania77 (15290 posts) - - Show Bio
#102 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Spankings are necessary. Belt or hand. Just don't get out of hand with it and start going crazy.

My dad would whoop me with a belt, and I tell ya, I was a damn good kid.

#103 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6167 posts) - - Show Bio

Seems I'm alone on this boat, haha.

No your not. I used to act up alot in school in first grade( so they say), and my dad whooped me as much as I acted up. In second grade no whoopens I was good I got rewarded alot. Third grade started I got a little too comfortable in getting things I started acting up again got whooped again got my sh*t together. Now I'm a genius teenager in all AP classes. Whoopings are fine bur physical abuse is not.

#104 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn hippies

I got a$$ whoppings(not beatings) and my mother would explain why I received one. I learned actions have consequences in this world and those consequences are far worse than getting a whoppin. I turned out to be a pretty decent person that my mother can be proud of.

Exactly, Maybe if kids actually got spankings at home, kids wouldn't be so soft.

#105 Posted by Black_Claw (2987 posts) - - Show Bio

My parents used to get the belt on me whenever I got out of line and I grew up to be a sensible adult.

#106 Posted by ImagineMan16 (466 posts) - - Show Bio

I see no problem with spanking. I really don't think its the same as, say, smacking the kid in the face... which is not okay at all.

That being said, there were two instances in my early teens when my dad hit me pretty hard... and I can honestly say that I would not have responded to anything else. I was feeling pretty big-and-bad at the time, and I was acting at the height of disrespect... it shut me up, put me back in my place, and after the second time it happened I decided I wasn't going to act up like that again. It didn't destroy our relationship, it didn't traumatize me, it simply got me to shut up and listen like I needed to.

But that also takes into account that I was 13-14 at the time. That's a completely different story than if I had been, say, 7 or 8. That wouldn't have been acceptable IMO.

#107 Posted by HulkwouldkillSuperman (16 posts) - - Show Bio
#108 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

@dragonborn_ct:

Or this kid..........

That kid endangers people in his community with speeding and all that. Not to mention being a diva and acting like a brat with his bodyguards and such. That kid needs an a*swhooping that would last the whole day.

#109 Posted by NorrinBoltagonPrime21 (5877 posts) - - Show Bio

Why do you need to hit your when you can mentally and emotionally torture them. You can't go to jail for that! Muhahaha

#110 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@hulkwouldkillsuperman said:

@dragonborn_ct:

Or this kid..........

That kid endangers people in his community with speeding and all that. Not to mention being a diva and acting like a brat with his bodyguards and such. That kid needs an a*swhooping that would last the whole day.

Believe it or not, that kid is an adult.

#111 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

As for this thread, no -- hitting kids is not okay and all those who are quick to throw words around like liberal wusses or what not, it takes more strength to not resort to violence. And intelligence. Work out your brain and not your hand (or foot) and come up with better ways of disciplining children. Discipline is to teach, punishment is just that. Punitive for the sake of it. Consequences for bad behaviour should never be in the form of physical violence -- all you are doing is displaying your power and control and that teaches them someone they love and rely on is capable of hurting them.

Anyway -- my thoughts on the matter are clear. It's a resounding no on my end.

#112 Posted by ARMIV2 (8520 posts) - - Show Bio

...It really depends on how bad they're being...

#113 Posted by Jnr6Lil (7705 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

As for this thread, no -- hitting kids is not okay and all those who are quick to throw words around like liberal wusses or what not, it takes more strength to not resort to violence. And intelligence. Work out your brain and not your hand (or foot) and come up with better ways of disciplining children. Discipline is to teach, punishment is just that. Punitive for the sake of it. Consequences for bad behaviour should never be in the form of physical violence -- all you are doing is displaying your power and control and that teaches them someone they love and rely on is capable of hurting them.

Except what happens when you punish a child by taking away his prized possessions and they just take it back?

Punishment teaches also, that's how the real world is. Killers get punished.

#114 Posted by Reignmaker (2235 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm right there with you, dude. Look at today's generation of degenerate meme kids who are absolutely unable to handle constructive criticism in any form. Not enough spanking.

#115 Posted by laflux (15885 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

thumbs up

#116 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5242 posts) - - Show Bio

Parents should be respected, not feared.

#117 Edited by Dernman (15074 posts) - - Show Bio

#118 Edited by weaponx (1566 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it is okay to spank.

#119 Posted by X_Titans (144 posts) - - Show Bio

My 3 siblings and I were all spanked growing up and 3 out of 4 of us turned out all right. My eldest brother, however, grew into the most immature, petty person I know. Based on this, I conclude that either spanking doesn't really affect the core personality of a child (if born a brat they'll stay a brat) or that children react differently to it.

#120 Posted by TifaLockhart (14050 posts) - - Show Bio

There's a difference between discipline and abuse.

#121 Posted by SIPOKYL (25 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#122 Posted by King Saturn (224158 posts) - - Show Bio

Body Slam Your Kids !

#123 Posted by GST1976 (514 posts) - - Show Bio

@biteme_fanboy said:

I'm right there with you, dude. Look at today's generation of degenerate meme kids who are absolutely unable to handle constructive criticism in any form. Not enough spanking.

This...

#124 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@jnr6lil said:

@lykopis said:

Except what happens when you punish a child by taking away his prized possessions and they just take it back?

How and why are they getting it back? Taking something they really enjoy for an "x" amount of time can do wonders. One day without the internet can feel like hell to a kid, same will cell phones, etc. Besides, the discipline should be catered to the child in question.

Punishment does not teach. I have yet to see murder stop because there is capital punishment still around. And this is about children, which means raising them as best you can. A parent that hits their kid is a parent who can't be bothered to teach them.

Plus, all these comments about turning out alright despite being hit proves nothing. Good for you. Same with the comments about "this generation" getting away with stuff because they aren't hit enough. The generation before you said the exact same thing. Guess everything is going to hell according to that mentality.

#125 Posted by Wolverine08 (42156 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@jnr6lil said:

@lykopis said:

How and why are they getting it back? Taking something they really enjoy for an "x" amount of time can do wonders. One day without the internet can feel like hell to a kid, same will cell phones, etc. Besides, the discipline should be catered to the child in question.

Punishment does not teach. I have yet to see murder stop because there is capital punishment still around. And this is about children, which means raising them as best you can. A parent that hits their kid is a parent who can't be bothered to teach them.

Plus, all these comments about turning out alright despite being hit proves nothing. Good for you. Same with the comments about "this generation" getting away with stuff because they aren't hit enough. The generation before you said the exact same thing. Guess everything is going to hell according to that mentality.

QUOTED FOR THE TRUTH.

#126 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (6167 posts) - - Show Bio
#127 Posted by Bogey (946 posts) - - Show Bio

Exposing violence to a child by physically assaulting them is not good parenting.

#128 Posted by RogueShadow (10652 posts) - - Show Bio

When a child is naughty, it should be shot.