• 125 results
#51 Edited by SC (13073 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on quite a few factors. The parents, family, guardians involved, their children, their environment, resources, who their child interacts with, their friends, whether they live in the city or country, how old the children are.

Lots of posters have given personal accounts on whether they were physically disciplined or not, which is a reasonable frame of reference, but its worth considering that usually another large factor involved here as far as the administering of physical punishment or lack of is whether one is in an environment where others are treated the same way. Physical punishment as far as parents and teachers was a lot more common and accepted in many places in the past, and so psychologically many children weren't as vulnerable to overly negative affects as say situations where some children were punished physically, but others weren't. This would lead to complications where you had parents who were physically disciplined alongside family members and friends at school, believing it would therefore be okay to physically discipline their children the same way because they turned out okay, not taking into account that their children may interact with many more children who wouldn't get physically disciplined leading to confusion and resentment that stayed with the child longer than any physical effects. Generationally there are many more parents today who can raise their children differently and in ways other parents and children can be and are aware of as opposed to previous generations prior to widespread internet access, even reality TV to some extent. In many ways its harder for a parent these days to be good parents. A lot more pressures and risks to their children.

If you have a single parent who works and they have a child who may demonstrate short bursts of hyperactivity and they live in the city and a quick slap on the hand is enough to get their child to focus and pay attention and associate negative consequences to certain behavior that may otherwise endanger them (hitting other children or elderly relatives) coupled with that parents patience and explanation towards the child as far as what they were doing as wrong and why they were hit on the hand and that the parent still loves them and that they should always be honest and so on, I see nothing wrong with that personally. Its really just that the parent should always be in control and their actions should always be well considered and not based off quick emotional reactions or stress or pressure. Not a good idea to hit children without them understanding why or if they are aware of their friends and friends parents whose teaching methods might be superior and or less severe in the eyes of the child. Its that perception that is what can mess with a child psychologically.

So short version is that there are too many alternatives for a parent, the past or personal experience is not a good reference for parenting success and thats okay, since all parents should want to be better than their own parents even if they had great parents, and ideally, ideally parents have the time, resources, and support to actually be a good parent. As in teaching a hyperactive three year old to always hold the parents hand when crossing streets and to never run away and run on a road, a possible scenario where a busy or stressed parent may be excusable for using a smack on the hand if or when a child attempts to run out on a road or so on. Just again thats not a situation a parent would want, much more ideal to teach them road safety well in advance.

Personally I wouldn't use physical discipline nor did I in raising my baby sister, I was lucky to read some good books on parenting and have resources and time to pursue superior alternatives.

Moderator Online
#52 Posted by PartialSanity (433 posts) - - Show Bio

No, corporal punishment is barbaric, get with the program. Brain-washing through manipulation and psychological trauma is all the rage.

But "Hit it, it'll fix it." is such an archaic way of doing things.

#53 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

flicks , grabbing by the ear and such are ok, but whooping? I'm not Okay with that, Nope, though sometimes it's ok if it's in moderation and it's not to harsh, like pat more than smack

Belts and such? F*ck that

grounding them works just as fine

#54 Posted by laflux (15849 posts) - - Show Bio

F^ck no. In a society where we try to teach people not solve our problems by hitting one another, what does hitting our kids achieve?

#55 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

No weapons like a belt or anything, but spanking is good.

Too many kids grow up without realising that their actions have consequences. Taking away your 6 year olds XBox just reminds them they have a f*cking Xbox.

#56 Edited by Strider92 (16421 posts) - - Show Bio

I got whoopins and I turned out fine.

Yep this. I mean under a few circumstance i'm glad they did because i'd have ended up hurting myself much worse than a simple whoopin if i'd have done some of the things I got punished for.

#57 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Spare the rod spoil the child!

That was a terrible joke please don't hit children.

#58 Edited by Dernman (15071 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes i very very very rarely happened to me but I know it should have happened more.

#59 Posted by God_Spawn (37860 posts) - - Show Bio

I do as long as you aren't like legit abusing them. I wasn't much of a trouble maker as a kid but I could be a brat and did some stupid sh*t myself. The corner didn't do anything. Oh, just stand there for 5 minutes with my face turned, real good punishment, Mom. Take away my video games? I'll go watch TV, read a book or go outside. No TV you say? Then I'll go outside, or read a book. Seriously, those punishments never worked for me or my sisters. But when daddy got pissed and spanked me with a 2x4 I knew full well I didn't do whatever I did again.

Seriously, if the punishment fits the crime, fine. I was never abused or beaten senseless because I spilled apple juice. But when I did something serious and I got spanked or spanked with said object, I deserved it and it worked. I'd like to think I've grown into a good young man with a solid head on my shoulders because of it.

Moderator Online
#60 Posted by judasnixon (6584 posts) - - Show Bio

I was never spanked as a child........ Now as an adult, all the time.

#61 Posted by Nefarious (20233 posts) - - Show Bio

Hell naw. I wouldn't hit my kids. I would correct via non-violent means.

#62 Edited by lilben42 (2537 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe in spankings on the butt for punishment. As long as they don't go too crazy with it.

#63 Edited by lilben42 (2537 posts) - - Show Bio

@sideburnguru said: This is why the current generation is filled of brats. "NO SPANKING, IT'S HORRIBLE." Get real.

A simple spanking, with a belt or hand is fine. Hell, the kids were more in control because the teachers got to do the ruler smack to the wrist.

I know right! People are too afraid to spank their kids or something. As long as the spanking is justified I say it's okay. I feel that parents these days act like the kids friend instead of their parent and always try to talk things out. Sure I'll talk to my kids about stuff but they will still get a whoopin. When I was young I was afraid to do bad things because I didn't want to get spanked. Nowadays kids can do whatever they want because they will just get grounded. About the teachers I agree completely there is always that rebellious kid but you can't do anything except say go to the office!

#64 Edited by Dragonborn_CT (22201 posts) - - Show Bio

@fuchsia_nightingale: He makes Draco Malfoy seem like a choir boy in comparision. At this point, he also has gone far too deep to deserve a just slap, but actually to being surplexed and body slammed several times over.

#65 Posted by BumpyBoo (9140 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll say this. I got smacked hard a few times as a kid and every time I deserved it.

Yup, this is pretty much all I have to say about it too.

#66 Posted by Feral Nova (46624 posts) - - Show Bio

For discipline reasons, yes I do think spanking your child is ok. All three siblings and myself were spanked growing up, and we knew better than to misbehave, especially if we were at someone's home or staying with family. But my mother never just spanked us, she would sit us down, explain to us WHY she was spanking us and it was never more than three smacks to the bottom. She even expressed to us how she didn't want to spank us, but we had to learn what we did wasn't ok. We learned fast what was ok and what was not ok, and we even got our mouths washed on occasion whenever we cursed or talked back to her. Now looking back at home videos of me, and watching me be a little brat, I can see the reasons why they would discipline me, heck, I want to discipline me when I watch those videos.

I know too many kids who are little spoiled brats who get away with almost anything because their parents refuse to discipline them. As an example... I have a cousin who was 5 at the time, who threw a fork at my Aunt's face because she wouldn't let her have a cookie before she at dinner, her mother was there when it happened and all she got was "Now that's not nice, say sorry.", she's 7 now and is even a more bigger brat than before. Another example, my friend's 4 year old punched a girl at daycare in the face because she wouldn't let him have some of her juice, and what does she do? Put's him on timeout in his room for an hour...

I'm sorry but if I had kids and they did either of those things, I would whip them. Time out and grounding isn't even good enough anymore because if you send them to their room, most likely they have some sort of electronic device in their room. Unless you literally rip out every device in their room and take out all their toy's and anything 'fun', it's not really punishment. Idk maybe it's a hispanic thing, but spanking is totally going to be a thing for me IF I have kids.

#67 Posted by danhimself (22532 posts) - - Show Bio

see the problem is that most of you equate spanking to hitting or "corporal punishment" that's not what spanking is....it's a light to medium slap across the a$$...there's no bruising or anything like that...it's not like you're punching the kid in the face

#68 Posted by Feral Nova (46624 posts) - - Show Bio

see the problem is that most of you equate spanking to hitting or "corporal punishment" that's not what spanking is....it's a light to medium slap across the a$$...there's no bruising or anything like that...it's not like you're punching the kid in the face

exactly, I never got a bruise from being spanked, if anything butt was a bit sore for a minute.

#69 Posted by King Saturn (224142 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

I believe when a child turns 3yrs old you have a right to hit them in the throat or the stomach. if you old enough to talk back then you old enough to get F*cked up!!!!end quote Physical pain is a good deterrent and motivator. Ask any slave and they will agree

You been watching Bernie Mac eh ?

#70 Posted by pooty (11106 posts) - - Show Bio

@pooty said:

I believe when a child turns 3yrs old you have a right to hit them in the throat or the stomach. if you old enough to talk back then you old enough to get F*cked up!!!!end quote Physical pain is a good deterrent and motivator. Ask any slave and they will agree

You been watching Bernie Mac eh ?

I saw someone say that on another website. i thought it was funny and his original thoughts

#71 Posted by Joygirl (19897 posts) - - Show Bio

You should never hit children out of anger, no. However, they do need to be taught cause and effect, and to be responsible for their actions. There are plenty of punishments to choose from but I don't think a decent whippin' should be ruled out. Some kids, in particular, need it.

#72 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3514 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about actual spankings, but I think a little whack on the bum serves as a good indicator that they're doing something wrong. It's more embarrassing for them than anything. Idk, no kids as of yet, so I don't know how I'll feel when it comes down to the wire.

#73 Edited by NightCrawler358 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Sometimes it could get results with difficult kids but overall it is just wrong and unnecessary.

#74 Posted by Hanson724 (559 posts) - - Show Bio

We don't hit our kids. We put them in the corner and take things away. Those work very well . We want our kids to respect us not fear us.

#75 Posted by VercingetorixTheGreat (2823 posts) - - Show Bio

Discipline is fine as long as its justified and not severe.

I remember the worst part about being spanked wasn't the physical pain.

#76 Posted by theTimeStreamer (2841 posts) - - Show Bio

tree hugers. a slap to the back of the head, a belt or two to the butt. nobody is saying 1 parent hold him/her and the other goes nuts with a bat. all the punks, disrespectful, whinny, bitchy teens running around, they are all on your heads. you didnt beat them then, guess what? you will have to beat them now. you achieved nothing.

#77 Posted by frogdog (3246 posts) - - Show Bio

Bunch of softies in this thread, most non-violent methods are useless compared to the backhand.

#78 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

@fuchsia_nightingale: He makes Draco Malfoy seem like a choir boy in comparision. At this point, he also has gone far too deep to deserve a just slap, but actually to being surplexed and body slammed several times over.

I thought it was Draco Crusher from the Phantom menace :O

(Crusher is from Star trek lol)

#79 Edited by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

*I think I'll take a look at this thread again...*

#80 Posted by Black_Arrow (3113 posts) - - Show Bio
#81 Posted by lilben42 (2537 posts) - - Show Bio
#82 Posted by lilben42 (2537 posts) - - Show Bio
#83 Posted by TheManInTheShoe (3878 posts) - - Show Bio

#84 Posted by TDK_1997 (14889 posts) - - Show Bio

A child should be spanked from time to time when it acts crazy but you should never put too much force into it.And I have never been into beating kids with a belt or even punching them or just too much brute force.

#85 Posted by AweSam (7375 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Unless they hit me first that is.

#86 Edited by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends... Simple misdoings may not need spanking but serious wrongdoings deserve their appropriate punishment. I was hit with belt when I was a kid. Legs turned blue. Just two times but I deserved both. Yeah they were harsh. But it's because my pa wanted me to learn. And I did. That's tough love. Way better than the 'talk punishment' that created the brat generation we have now.

#87 Posted by Cybrilious4 (1766 posts) - - Show Bio

If it was this scenario...........

#88 Posted by russellmania77 (15256 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes only if you hit em really really hard tho

#89 Posted by INFINITE_DOOM (265 posts) - - Show Bio

I got the belt pretty good when i was younger and i can tell you i usually did not repeat the same mistake. I see myself not laying down the law as frequent as my dad did but if needed i shall.

#90 Edited by Guardiandevil83 (5573 posts) - - Show Bio

I got beatings. And so did all my siblings. We all work and stay out of trouble. So I guess it depends.

#91 Posted by WaveMotionCannon (5405 posts) - - Show Bio

@biteme_fanboy: I'm with you. Some kids need their ass whipped not abused but touched up every once in awhile. Too many parents want to be their kids friends and let other people be responsible or their afraid to check their kids.

#92 Posted by xlab3000 (3273 posts) - - Show Bio

depends on how bad the child is

#93 Edited by sagejonathan (1951 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's ok as a last resort if the kid is being completely awful. Nothing hard though; just enough so he gets the message. I was hit a little but I think it helps kids learn discipline at an early age. I repeat, only as a last resort.

#94 Posted by Matezoide2 (15994 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. Spankings are necessary. Belt or hand. Just don't get out of hand with it and start going crazy.

This.

#95 Posted by drgnx (3564 posts) - - Show Bio

Sure!

Don't get an A+. On every test? BELT!

They not fast asleep by exactly 11:00? BELT!

Take to long to eat, do homework, anything else? BELT!

Don't stop crying after a good beating? BELT!

Any sort of acting out? BELT!

Stayed out even a second too late? BELT!

Anything out of line, I mean anything? BELT!

And if you think that's bad, if they are my actual kids, they'd get twice what I give the others!

#96 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4795 posts) - - Show Bio

Only if it's with a paddle.

Seriously I think it's fine. For serious issues give em a spanking. That's just me though and there is a point where that doesn't work soooo.... yeah... Spank your babies while you can.

( + )

#97 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (17190 posts) - - Show Bio

I wasn't hit either.. (And I'm fine..)

Leave it to the parents..

#98 Edited by russellmania77 (15256 posts) - - Show Bio

Fear is better than respect muahahaha >:D

#99 Edited by Immortal777 (7559 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn hippies

I got a$$ whoppings(not beatings) and my mother would explain why I received one. I learned actions have consequences in this world and those consequences are far worse than getting a whoppin. I turned out to be a pretty decent person that my mother can be proud of.

#100 Posted by Duncan (11445 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, it's okay.