#1 Posted by jordanhenleykomics (13 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by Blood1991 (8098 posts) - - Show Bio

No, movies are bringing comics to the fore front again. Look at Avengers Assemble or the main cast at the start of Hickman's Avengers. Better yet there was a mini series to bring a black Nick Fury into the MU. This was done entirely to cater to movie fans. Reboots in the DC universe work in a similar way allowing new fans to jump on more easily.

#3 Posted by ImmortalT1000 (3170 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna say No.

Most of these characters like Batman, Captain America, Hulk, Green Lantern...etc started off as comic characters. Their are comic characters that still havent made it to a movie yet. I would like to see a movie Deadpool and a Movie Galactus, but some of those typical characters may or may not make it to a movie however, I myself am more of a movie fanatic for the fact i'm all about realistic stuff and not cartoonish stuff, but Comics are fun to read. Just like some of these scans we post are fun to post.

#4 Edited by TotalBalance (724 posts) - - Show Bio

Most of the people saying comic books themselves are doing fine are kidding themselves. The industry is doing well due to the interest generated by the comic movie phenomenon but won't last forever. The future of these characters is going to be in digitized comic books or animated short films released on a similar monthly basis to the paper comics we have today. The characters are popular enough to survive but the classic comic book that you can collect and hold in your hands is on the way out, much in the same was as newspaper is.

#5 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17496 posts) - - Show Bio

No I dont think so.Certainly comic book characters aren't.

#6 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably not, but that's just my guess.

#7 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely. They're the Kmart of printed media.

#8 Posted by akbogert (3180 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance said:

Most of the people saying comic books themselves are doing fine are kidding themselves. The industry is doing well due to the interest generated by the comic movie phenomenon but won't last forever. The future of these characters is going to be in digitized comic books or animated short films released on a similar monthly basis to the paper comics we have today. The characters are popular enough to survive but the classic comic book that you can collect and hold in your hands is on the way out, much in the same was as newspaper is.

I really agree with this. Comics as a form of expression -- the art/text bubble hybrid -- will stay forever, but printed collector items, I don't really see sticking around, certainly not as the mainstream means of comic reading. That said, I don't think it will happen very quickly -- dying, yes, but dying a very slow death. The industry preserves itself almost miraculously in the wake of high costs ($4 for 30 pages is ludicrous for anyone other than a collector) and easy digital distribution, but new readers will very shortly be all-digital, and the future of the industry is dictated by future readers. I imagine physical comics will become true collector items. But probably not for a decade or two.

#9 Posted by YoungJustice (6639 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but the community is, most who say that they are comic geeks watch the movies and think their beatboks.

#10 Posted by dngn4774 (2660 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but paperbacks are probably going to be taken over by their digital counterparts.

#11 Posted by turoksonofstone (13199 posts) - - Show Bio

are the only comics characters that need to "Die" go Digital and stay there please. Comics as we know them will be better for it.

#12 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@dngn4774 said:

No, but paperbacks are probably going to be taken over by their digital counterparts.

Which would be the end of the world.

Sincerely,

#13 Posted by HBKTimHBK (5240 posts) - - Show Bio

No, there will always be superhero love

#14 Posted by Ultra_Girl_ (1248 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance said:

#15 Posted by ARMIV2 (8271 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, at least I don't think they are. They'd better not be. I might be getting to be able to actually do one in the near future, darn it. Can't die now! We've so much more to do together!

#16 Posted by andrewtheking (960 posts) - - Show Bio

tbh , i am tore on this subject

#17 Posted by minigunman123 (3116 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance said:

Sadly, I agree with this.

But when comic books become digital, I stop getting new ones, and start ordering back-issues and old story arcs. I imagine many will feel the same way, and with the passing of the industry to the digital market, the entire industry could slowly decay into nothingness.

Or it could be massively popular since everyone hangs out on the internet already, anyway.

Either one or the other... I'm going to guess the first one. Better to guess on the bad side of things and be pleasantly wrong, than be an optimist and disappointed when things go wrong.

#18 Posted by Nefarious (18314 posts) - - Show Bio

No. They are becoming more alive.

#19 Posted by xxxddd (3565 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#20 Posted by joshmightbe (24434 posts) - - Show Bio

In print yes, but they'll do just fine in digital and honestly that doesn't bother me because as long as I get a good story it doesn't matter whether or not its on paper. I honestly don't see why people are so hung up on the whole paper thing, kind of seems like the same people still clinging to cassette tapes despite the fact that its already been replaced by superior technology.

#21 Posted by InnerAssassin (308 posts) - - Show Bio

No. and lol the Newpaper is nothing compared to comicbooks. So take that in mine. More people are interested in comics than a newspaper.

#22 Posted by The_Lunact_And_Manic (3286 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope.

The only one who is dying here is you...and me...and everybody...

#23 Posted by Lvenger (17814 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope not. If comics have to become exclusively digital rather than as a supplement to printed media I shall be very annoyed as reading on an electronic screen will never beat reading a printed copy.

#24 Posted by RedQueen (1171 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but the printed form, sadly, is. I prefer, any day, printed copy over digital.

#25 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

@TotalBalance said:

Basically.

#26 Posted by ReVamp (22863 posts) - - Show Bio

Well I do not think necessarily that it is going to die off, but I do think that it is reaching a point were it is dropping off. Will that mean comics cease to exist? Of course not that notion is preposterous, there is a market for this and as long as the demand is there people will be willing to supply the product and make summa dat profit. However, creatively comics, I believe comics are going to be hitting a road block at some point, however someone will find a new way to approach the industry which will be successful and then boost the industry back up. The idea of the natural business cycle keeps popping into my mind, like how recession and recovery are both normal parts of an economy (well... let's not get into that), I think that the fact the manner this medium is presented is in a "recession" however it will stop and eventually prosper, which will be done hopefully by a well thought out online distribution model, with cheap price, easy accessibility and use as well as things like less events and reboots and the like.

We're still far off though...

#27 Posted by logy5000 (5631 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think so.

But if they are, that means that comic geeks can become rich by selling them some day when they're valuable.

#28 Posted by Living_Monstrosity (428 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jokergeist said:

@dngn4774 said:

Which would be the end of the world.

Sincerely,

Your signature is stupid.

Sincerely,

#29 Posted by Pyrogram (34311 posts) - - Show Bio

No lmfao, In print yes, but digitally more than ever are being bought..I wonder why...MORE computers and marvel movies.

#30 Posted by dngn4774 (2660 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone think that digital comics will eventually devalue the comic book collection market? Mostly everything pre-new 52 and major heros like Batman, Superman, Spidey, and Wolverine will always have someone who wants the paperback, but general mainstream comics from now on might not be worth anything 40 or 50 years down the road.

#31 Posted by Jokergeist (4935 posts) - - Show Bio

@Living_Monstrosity said:

@Jokergeist:

Your signature is stupid.

Sincerely,

Hello @ScrawnyTwo-FacedUnderling

That statement is incorrect. My signature is, in fact, a high school graduate and is the top in his class at Princeton University. He has a superior education and is very much intelligent. Therefore, my signature is not stupid. Good day to you, sir.

Insincerely,

#32 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio
@TotalBalance said:

Yep.