#1 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (10376 posts) - - Show Bio

If a person had a hellish life does that justify him/her becoming a criminal ?

Personally I think a person tragic life just let people understand WHY he/she did something the weren't supposed to do but by no means Justify's it.

What are Your Thoughts

#2 Edited by Inverno (13061 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there was a thread like this ages ago. But never mind now...

Depends on the circumstances and the seriousness of the crimes they commit. With that said, while I may sympathize with their past doesn't mean I condone their acts.

#3 Posted by Chronus (1115 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#4 Posted by AllStarSuperman (20267 posts) - - Show Bio

nope

#5 Posted by ARMIV2 (8301 posts) - - Show Bio

Uhhhhh....no, not really.

#6 Edited by KnightRise (4785 posts) - - Show Bio

Justification? No. Explanation? Yep.

#7 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17605 posts) - - Show Bio

Justify it? No.

Explain it yes,its a shame as society doesn't learn more to try and better things so crimes would lessen.

#8 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

#9 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

Justify it? No.

Explain it yes,its a shame as society doesn't learn more to try and better things so crimes would lessen.

Beat me to it.

#10 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17605 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

Justify it? No.

Beat me to it.

:)

#11 Edited by Deranged Midget (17599 posts) - - Show Bio

Why would it be justified? It's not hard having a tragic upbringing but you are in control of your life and where you can take yourself. It's up to you to decide whether you want to better yourself or mope around with constant excuses.

#12 Posted by The Stegman (23162 posts) - - Show Bio

No. Very few things justify committing a crime.

#13 Edited by Dark_Vengeance_ (14587 posts) - - Show Bio

No, but it makes a good super-villain origin.

#14 Posted by mikethekiller (8326 posts) - - Show Bio

No, it just gives us a good explanation of why the individual ended up that way.

#15 Posted by Bruxae (12649 posts) - - Show Bio

No, its not even a very good explenation to be honest.. Just a shitty excuse, unless its a starved man stealing a loaf of bread or a minor crime.

#16 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (16131 posts) - - Show Bio

Justification? No. Explanation? Yep.

Exacta.

#17 Edited by YoungJustice (6683 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe.

I guess if someone was brought up to lets say, steal, and they didn't have anyone to tell them that it was wrong. It would be a justifiable thing.

Edit: But if someone has told you that it is wrong and that you should stop, you have nobody to blame but yourself.

#18 Edited by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, problems in youth is an interaction with personal and environmental factors. It can have multiple causes and not just one. It's usually a case of various factors coming together, and this can happen in any culture, social class or environment. You have risk factors that can enhance bad behavior but you also have protective factors to counteract them. For example, you can have negative influences from your family but they can be counteracted or balanced out by positive experiences at school (this is why education is so important). So the stronger or more apparent the protective factors are, the smaller the chance is for going down the 'wrong path'.

Besides these factors there is another important one. Namely, the person itself. Behavior is influenced by the environment, surroundings and personality traits, but the reverse is also true. Then there's also the question as to why, with almost identical circumstances, one person decides to use drugs, another decides to run away, another decides to live a life of crime, while another commits suicide?

So, no. I don't think it justifies it because there are a plethora of factors at play here. And each person handles these issues in a different way.

#19 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, problems in youth is an interaction with personal and environmental factors. It can have multiple causes and not just one. It's usually a case of various factors coming together, and this can happen in any culture, social class or environment. You have risk factors that can enhance bad behavior but you also have protective factors to counteract them. For example, you can have negative influences from your family but they can be counteracted or balanced out by positive experiences at school (this is why education is so important). So the stronger or more apparent the protective factors are, the smaller the chance is for going down the 'wrong path'.

Besides these factors there is another important one. Namely, the person itself. Behavior is influenced by the environment, surroundings and personality traits, but the reverse is also true. Then there's also the question as to why, with almost identical circumstances, one person decides to use drugs, another decides to run away, another decides to live a life of crime, while another commits suicide?

So, no. I don't think it justifies it because there are a plethora of factors at play here. And each person handles these issues in a different way.

Smarty pants...

What he said.

#20 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Can't let you hog all the spotlight..

#21 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Can't let you hog all the spotlight..

Not my fault it seeks me out.