Yep, have a blog too.

Avatar image for transformers1024
Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

@superdrummer: I have a few places online where you can read comics for free if you want. Also if you have a smart phone, iPod or tablet the Comixology app has a lot of free comics. Same for the DC, Marvel and Vertigo apps.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#53  Edited By TifaLockhart

Kids these days. Good old brick and mortar stores for me.

Nothing like finding a physical copy for cheap in the bin!

MatteoPG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I sometimes post on battle forums but find them pointless. The whole feat-based system is essentially flawed.

I do read comics, a lot, but never pretend to be an expert on comic books which I didn't read extensively.

Why this thread? :)

Be honest, did somebody piss you off? ;)

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@matteopg: It's a little book called "Speeding Bullets" and people looked at me like I had three heads or something.

Mxyzptlk_CV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56  Edited By Mxyzptlk_CV

@matteopg: It's a little book called "Speeding Bullets" and people looked at me like I had three heads or something.

hahahaha....really?

VanderSEXXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I do read comics but I can never understand the multiple realities offered out there, and sometimes I actually get lost on the lore. Like I remember one time when I heard the news about batman dying I was assuming that they we're talking about Batman: R.I.P. since I was following that run at the time but I didn't know about Final Crisis, so i ended up looking like a fool when I tried to relate with the others.

Even if I back track on all the comics I've bought so far I doubt I'll be able to make sense of connecting them all. These days I just follow main events and mini-series. Just hope I'm not missing out much since it friendlier to my wallet. lol

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#59  Edited By Billy Batson

@longbowhunter: Well, Swamp Thing is typically written by Moore, one of the greatest writers. Proving that an OP character can be interesting.

Moore's run on the character happened decades ago and the character has had plenty of other writers after him.

@thatguywithheadphones: Oh, Grant wrote him in the '90's, around the same time as he wrote Lobo IIRC.

He started writing Dredd in the 80's and yes, it's worth reading.

BB

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Yup, and if anything at the moment I'm reading too many.

I get the feeling that the majority of people around here only read current releases tbh.

----------------------------

Alan Grant is an OK Dredd writer, but doesn't hold a candle to John Wagner. You can always tell an Alan Grant story by the way that Dredd acts like a bigger fascist douchebag than usual.

I think Grant hit his peak in the 80s and early 90s, a lot of his stuff has been treading water since then IMO.

Though the recent Judge Anderson he's been writing has been interesting, looks like she's going into meltdown :(

No Caption Provided

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Nope, I just stare at the words.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: DUDE! MISTER GRANT IS ALIVE AND EMPLOYED?! That's the best news I've heard in a looooooooong time (we were pen pals).

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He's still semi-regular on 2000AD and the Meg, he did a Durham Red story in 2012, it was OK.

I tend to read mainly trades these days so I'm not totally up to date on what been going on tbh.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: He had rheumatoid arthritis (spelling?) and DC would not hire him last I knew. Then he stopped replying to my emails. You have made my day. Thank you very much.

Dragonborn_CT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#66  Edited By Dragonborn_CT

No, I don't. I don't even know what am I doing here.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By silent_bomber

@silent_bomber: He had rheumatoid arthritis (spelling?) and DC would not hire him last I knew. Then he stopped replying to my emails. You have made my day. Thank you very much.

That's a shame.

I think they'll always keep hiring him at 2000AD he's done too much important stuff for them over the years.

Hopefully this recent Judge Anderson is a sign that he's going to get back to the quality of his glory days, I'd be happy for a bunch more classic Judge Anderson and Durham Red stories at this stage.

_Gaff_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Not nearly as much as everybody else.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: Admittedly, he's no Keith Giffen (but who is?) but Alan Grant is the kindest, most respectful, most generous writer I've ever talked to. He sent me free stuff, signed some stuff, and helped me through a tough time of my life. I can never repay him.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: Admittedly, he's no Keith Giffen (but who is?) but Alan Grant is the kindest, most respectful, most generous writer I've ever talked to. He sent me free stuff, signed some stuff, and helped me through a tough time of my life.

Wow, that's pretty cool of him.

In regards to his writing, I like his 80s Strontium Dog and Detective Comics stories a lot.

80s to early 90s Judge Anderson's were good

His Batman run was OK, but not as good as his Detective Comics stuff

His Shadow of the Bat is when I felt the quality started to drop, but there are still some good stories there.

His later 00s Judge Anderson's just bored me to be honest.

I haven't read more than a few pages of his work on Lobo so I couldn't say, the Lobo and Judge Dredd team up he did was entertaining though, and his Judge Dredd/Batman team up's ranged from OK to very good IMO.

TifaLockhart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@silent_bomber: Fair enough, but he created Anarky, Mr. Zsasz, Scarface and the Ventriloquist, and he defined pre-Flashpoint Lobo.

silent_bomber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked a lot of his Batman creations, shame they're so rarely used.

Cornelius Stirk was also a good character, creepy and memorable.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By King_Saturn

Yes, but not as much as I once did...

tomlikesfries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 106

User Lists: 3

Yea, about 4-5 a day.

SuperDrummer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75  Edited By SuperDrummer

@mitran said:

@superdrummer said:

I don't have money so my "collection" is near non-existent... I think there are five in my house? So I guess you can put me down as a no. But I have been doing actual research on the site, learning about different arcs and such, and some things like Kraven's Last hunt are simply badass, and I know thats going to be one of the first ones I'm going to buy when/if able.

So, I guess Comic Vine for me is more of a resource, a place to learn of the basic stories of each character, learn of new characters, and see which characters are mostly liked, so that if I ever come into some money I know exactly which ones to buy, and if I never do than I won't be completely missing out on comics. I try to support the site in any non-comic related way I can to help make up for my parasitic behavior.

For battles, I don't claim to be knowledgeable of any comic character, and I only debate for characters I CAN debate for (Manga/Anime/Cartoon characters, those are free to get first hand information about.) I might look around the comic ones to see what people say about them, but I tend to stick to the ones that are within my field of knowledge. This is also why my post count is so low despite being on the site for nearly a year.

You're doing everything right. Good on ya.

Something I found out recently is that apparently there are a bunch of Golden Age comics online for free. I don't know where or why they are, but they might be something you're interested in.

Found it

Its because their copyright ran for 50 years and afterwards needed renewed, which costs money, so they instead didn't do it for one reason or another. Thanks for the heads up man, they are going to be posting more comics as their copyright expires.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Yeah, but I struggle to keep up with current comics.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

at first glance a basic question, but yes i think its one that should be asked