#1 Posted by The Stegman (29060 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you read anything other than comics books during your free time? (not counting novels you are forced to read in school or anything.) cause i gotta be honest, i don't really go out looking for novels to read, not that i DON'T read, it's just..i don't make it a habit too often. 
 
so do you guys read novels regularly? if so, what are some of your favorites? 

Online
#2 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38932 posts) - - Show Bio
I read a lot of books during my free time.
#3 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (40284 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a library in my bedroom

Online
#4 Posted by Decoy Elite (30159 posts) - - Show Bio

I read when I can. 

#5 Posted by Nefarious (27997 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I read novels and magazines.

#6 Posted by cyberninja (10524 posts) - - Show Bio

what's next......"do you listen to music?" of course I read books.

#7 Posted by _slim_ (15987 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope, not really.

#8 Posted by Illuminatus (9578 posts) - - Show Bio

When I'm not working out, studying, and killing time on here, I love to read.

#9 Posted by JediXMan (32428 posts) - - Show Bio

Certainly.

Moderator
#10 Edited by joshmightbe (25958 posts) - - Show Bio

I read books all the time

#11 Posted by TheNooseIsLoose (1921 posts) - - Show Bio

I CAN'T READ!

#12 Posted by Owie (4752 posts) - - Show Bio

Lots. I like to mix reading one fiction book, one nonfiction book, and my regular set of comics at any one time.

#13 Posted by TheWitchingHour (1350 posts) - - Show Bio

I try to read as much as I can. I'm reading a Sherlock Holmes anthology right now and I think it's great. Also Thomas Pynchon is great if you're ready to put in the effort and be a little snobby. As for nonfiction I don't actively seek out those books but if they're available I'll be more than happy to read them.

#14 Posted by ARMIV2 (9184 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep.

Online
#15 Posted by slacker the hacker (10172 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes mainly fiction or detective things

#16 Posted by Primmaster64 (21663 posts) - - Show Bio

Everyone reads books my friend...I just don't read a book unless I have to... :D

#17 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (31456 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep

#18 Posted by Sideslash (5994 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm currently reading a novel by Giorgio Faletti (think the spelling is right), called I Kill. It's really good.

#19 Posted by ComicMan24 (147446 posts) - - Show Bio

I haven't in quite some time actually. I say that I will but I never do.

#20 Posted by INFLUCATEXE (14 posts) - - Show Bio

Non-fiction, anything educational on anything i can get my hands on. I'm far from civilization and any library (the nearest one is in shambles anyways) so more I read them online

where I can actually get them and especially material that isn't dated.

#21 Posted by HolySerpent (13264 posts) - - Show Bio

I stop reading along time

#22 Posted by _Zombie_ (10551 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes. In fact, I just finished a Michael Crichton book.

#23 Posted by PrinceIMC (5505 posts) - - Show Bio

I go through periods where I read constantly. For like 6 months last year I was reading at least two chapters a day. Made it through all of the Harry Potters (#7 twice), all the Percy Jacksons, the two Kane Chronicle books, the Hunger Games trilogy and a couple others whose names I don't remember at the moment. But then I just kinda stopped. I read the new Percy Jackson when it came out in the fall and I'm planning on rereading the first Hunger Games before the movie comes out.

#24 Posted by RedOwl_1 (1743 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah a bit of everything, I'm such a reader and is a huge thing talking about that, here where I live, is a miracle reading something even comics.

#25 Posted by papo (218 posts) - - Show Bio

of course currently reading catching fire

#26 Posted by The Impersonator (6680 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I do read novels as well.

#27 Posted by Larkin1388 (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes I do. I love the Star Wars books. And also just about all of Jim Butchers works. I like Max Brooks too. I also read a lot of classics including H.G. Wells, H.P. Lovecraft, Jules Verne, etc.

#28 Posted by PowerHerc (86127 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, I read books.

#29 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

@cyberninja said:

what's next......"do you listen to music?" of course I read books.

Do you listen to music?

#30 Posted by cyberninja (10524 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReVamp said:

@cyberninja said:

what's next......"do you listen to music?" of course I read books.

Do you listen to music?

lol
#31 Posted by Edamame (29497 posts) - - Show Bio

Whenever I have the time, yes.

#32 Posted by Samimista (21803 posts) - - Show Bio

I used to read actual books that aren't comics. Now though I only read comics.

#33 Posted by SuperTide (15723 posts) - - Show Bio

I read probably a book every 2 weeks. I like authors like Stuart Woods and Stephen King.

#34 Posted by SpidermanWins (4142 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, like madman in fact

#35 Posted by SpidermanWins (4142 posts) - - Show Bio

@PrinceIMC said:

I go through periods where I read constantly. For like 6 months last year I was reading at least two chapters a day. Made it through all of the Harry Potters (#7 twice), all the Percy Jacksons, the two Kane Chronicle books, the Hunger Games trilogy and a couple others whose names I don't remember at the moment. But then I just kinda stopped. I read the new Percy Jackson when it came out in the fall and I'm planning on rereading the first Hunger Games before the movie comes out.

Read Hunger Games, Kane Chronicles, and Harry Potter last year too. Percy Jackson and the Olympians/Heroes of Olympus, I've been with for a while. Love those books. I should probably read Hunger Games again before the movie too so I can compare it to the movie after watching it. Good Idea.

#36 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1134 posts) - - Show Bio

@SpidermanWins said:

Yes, like madman in fact

^ This.

I should probably read a bit less if i'm honest and get more sleep :p

Currently reading the Spy who came in from the Cold (John Le Carre) and Black Prism (Brent Weeks)

#37 Posted by conan2099 (236 posts) - - Show Bio

I read books and comics...not just book based on a comic character either.

#38 Posted by SuperTide (15723 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm gonna pick up D.C. Dead by Stuart Woods on the 22nd.

#39 Posted by ApatheticAvenger (1726 posts) - - Show Bio

Currently reading Warren Ellis' first novel, Crooked Little Vein (it's awesome).

My favorite series include Harry Potter, His Dark Materials, and Stephen King's Dark Tower.

#40 Posted by PrinceIMC (5505 posts) - - Show Bio
@SpidermanWins said:

@PrinceIMC said:

I go through periods where I read constantly. For like 6 months last year I was reading at least two chapters a day. Made it through all of the Harry Potters (#7 twice), all the Percy Jacksons, the two Kane Chronicle books, the Hunger Games trilogy and a couple others whose names I don't remember at the moment. But then I just kinda stopped. I read the new Percy Jackson when it came out in the fall and I'm planning on rereading the first Hunger Games before the movie comes out.

Read Hunger Games, Kane Chronicles, and Harry Potter last year too. Percy Jackson and the Olympians/Heroes of Olympus, I've been with for a while. Love those books. I should probably read Hunger Games again before the movie too so I can compare it to the movie after watching it. Good Idea.

I have a couple friends who are into the same kinda stuff that I am and I'll trust their recommendations and she had been recommending Hunger Games since the third one came out but I only finally got on the ball when I heard they were definitely going to make the movie. Before the casting and such.
#41 Posted by rogue_mar1e (20180 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeap.

#42 Posted by Daveyo520 (2469 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course I do.

#43 Posted by Daveyo520 (2469 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: That's racist.

#44 Edited by brc2000 (1686 posts) - - Show Bio

Screw the Kane Chronicles! Only Karl Edward Wagner's "Kane" is real!

I love reading, and normally read about 3-6 novels or anthologies a month (depending on the size). As with my comics, I generally go for nerdier stuff. My favorite genres include speculative fiction (fantasy, science fiction, horror, "weird", steampunk, alt. history, and post-apocalyptic stuff), and crime/detective fiction. I prefer the more "literary" authors in the genres such as Tim Powers, Gene Wolfe, Iain M. Banks, Ursula LeGuin, and Lord Dunsany, but I also enjoy the lighter adventure type stuff made mainly to entertain (Burroughs, Haggard, E.E. "Doc" Smith, etc), and even read the occasional "tie-in novel" (Forgotten Realms, Star Trek, etc.) if I'm in the mood and need a quick SF fix. Apart from those, I also enjoy historical fiction and humor/comedy. I sometimes read the occasional thriller or military novel, depending on the subject. I also read the "classics" and the more literary works of mainstream modern fiction (like Cormac McCarthy). When it comes to non-fiction, I prefer things science (especially debunking) or history related and autobiographies of people I like and respect (mostly authors, musicians and comedians). I also like to read books discussing works in my favorite genres. But I generally will read anything that catches my eye or is recommended to me, barring romance and "chick lit". I'm always surprised how un-nerdy and mainstream (at least in genre) this place's users' tastes in films, books, etc., are considering this is a comics forum. It's probably why I don't post here more often.

#45 Posted by TDK_1997 (15892 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes!But this past year I haven't read much.

#46 Posted by SuperTide (15723 posts) - - Show Bio

I am currently reading Toys by James Patterson.