• 62 results
Edited 10 months, 20 days ago

Poll: Do you prefer Manga or Comics? (64 votes)

Comics :D! 67%
Manga :D! 8%
Both :D! 25%

I'll be honest I like them both I prefer Comics more because the color is easier on my eyes, I don't know why Manga has to be in white and black most of the time ;_____;

#1 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19884 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics all the way.

#2 Edited by RulerOfThisUniverse (5942 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics :D! I honestly have barely read any manga at all.

#3 Posted by Zijuun (854 posts) - - Show Bio

Manga.

It has much better story as the story makes up for it's black and white art. Besides you adapt to the art once you read a lot of it. Manga stories have a large range from which you can choose from, it doesn't always just revolve around superheroes, etc. And Marvel and DC have been regurgitating the same **** over and over for 50 years (something I'm very tired of).

† Z I J U U N †

#4 Posted by Wolverine08 (38063 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics easily.

#5 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19884 posts) - - Show Bio

@zijuun: There are other companies than just Marvel and DC dude. Plus manga art is very repetitive in my opinion. You can clearly see the difference between art in comics, while its kind of generic and boring in manga. Sure, if you're experienced enough you can tell the subtle differences, but most of the time I see manga I see no difference in art whatsoever.

Plus this is the 21st century. Have color already. I mean, comic book pages are larger, and sometimes have more pages, and still have vivid imagery. Not to mention all the iconic characters fall on the favor of the west.

#6 Posted by PowerHerc (80692 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics.

#7 Posted by JetiiMitra (8076 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics without even trying. I've tried manga and I just cannot do it.

#8 Edited by 8bitGangsta (392 posts) - - Show Bio

comic books

#9 Posted by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (9864 posts) - - Show Bio

Manga got Jojo

sooo...*chill on the manga side*

#10 Edited by Zijuun (854 posts) - - Show Bio

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

@zijuun: There are other companies than just Marvel and DC dude. Plus manga art is very repetitive in my opinion. You can clearly see the difference between art in comics, while its kind of generic and boring in manga. Sure, if you're experienced enough you can tell the subtle differences, but most of the time I see manga I see no difference in art whatsoever.

Plus this is the 21st century. Have color already. I mean, comic book pages are larger, and sometimes have more pages, and still have vivid imagery. Not to mention all the iconic characters fall on the favor of the west.

You have a point with there being other companies, I've tried them and I don't like them' stories. :/ Hellboy for example, the art is OKAY nothing big to it, and the storyline is unmanageable, at least to me and same goes for Axe Cop, though I should probably try more from independant comic companies.

As for art forms, there are many different art forms. Sure One Piece and Fairy Tail have very similar art forms, but say like Slam Dunk, beautiful detailed art that's very unique and has a good storyline. And if you want exceptional art and color? Start watching the anime (something american comics don't have ;o).

Manga has iconic stars too: Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo, you'll be surprised as to see how many people know them. And I know the West has a lot of iconic characters but don't worry manga is a rapidly growing industry.

American companies have storylines that have been repeated for many, many years. Robots? Superheroes? Zombies? You have that and more in manga. That's all I have to say.

† Z I J U U N †

#11 Posted by frozenedge (1121 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer comics to manga . Actually I prefer webtoons and manhwa to manga though I still read plenty of manga that are good

#12 Posted by XImpossibruX (5152 posts) - - Show Bio

Asking Comicvine which one they like better.

err....

#13 Posted by Xwraith (14545 posts) - - Show Bio

I've bought about 200 comic books.

I've only bought five manga volumes (although I would like to read more).

#14 Edited by Nelomaxwell (10361 posts) - - Show Bio

@zijuun said:

Manga.

It has much better story as the story makes up for it's black and white art. Besides you adapt to the art once you read a lot of it. Manga stories have a large range from which you can choose from, it doesn't always just revolve around superheroes, etc. And Marvel and DC have been regurgitating the same **** over and over for 50 years (something I'm very tired of).

† Z I J U U N †

That is only if you count just those two. I feel like everyone forgets the other publishers.

#15 Edited by Nelomaxwell (10361 posts) - - Show Bio

@zijuun: Honestly Naruto is just Spider-man to me and Fairy Tail has been doing a lot of X-men-ish storyline's lately. Seriously did they have to give the Cable and Bishop future as options?

#16 Posted by MaccyD (3394 posts) - - Show Bio

@ximpossibrux: My thoughts exactly, it's obviously going to be biased on a comic site.

#17 Edited by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19884 posts) - - Show Bio

@zijuun said:

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

You have a point with there being other companies, I've tried them and I don't like them' stories. :/ Hellboy for example, the art is OKAY nothing big to it, and the storyline is unmanageable, at least to me and same goes for Axe Cop, though I should probably try more from independant comic companies.

As for art forms, there are many different art forms. Sure One Piece and Fairy Tail have very similar art forms, but say like Slam Dunk, beautiful detailed art that's very unique and has a good storyline. And if you want exceptional art and color? Start watching the anime (something american comics don't have ;o).

Manga has iconic stars too: Luffy, Naruto, Ichigo, you'll be surprised as to see how many people know them. And I know the West has a lot of iconic characters but don't worry manga is a rapidly growing industry.

American companies have storylines that have been repeated for many, many years. Robots? Superheroes? Zombies? You have that and more in manga. That's all I have to say.

† Z I J U U N †

There are many other independent comic book companies that have cranked out masterpieces. Recently, people have loved Atomic Robo, Saga, Harbinger, and more.

Ehhh..it's still not enough to really make it a major difference unless you're already heavily invested in the media. The only manga art where I found it different was Naruto, Dragonball Z, One Piece, Bleach, etc. etc. All the others look super generic and the same with their obnoxious huge eyes and generic angelic face structure. Nearly every comic you see a fresh new take on the character. Anime, still, has the factor of generic art-styles as in manga, and that effects it greatly for me. There are few anime that I have watched and enjoyed. Naruto had too many flashbacks and was incredibly boring at times (like The Walking Dead of anime). Bleach didn't hook me, One Piece was alright but I got bored of it, and Dragonball Z is the only anime I still enjoy today. The colors are alright, but when compared to the greatest of what the West has to offer : Tom & Jerry, Looney Tunes, Batman : TAS, Superman : TAS, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Teen Titans, The Tick, and Samurai Jack. And don't even get me STARTED on how superior the West is regarding live-action adaptations of their comics, as well as live-action movies/shows in general.

I know the iconic stars of manga, but the most popular : Goku, doesn't even compare with the likes of Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, and more.

#18 Posted by silverJuggernaut (132 posts) - - Show Bio

I love comics.

I mostly watch anime than read manga. IM watching fairy tale season one on Netflix and I like it a lot.

#19 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics

#20 Posted by dondave (33397 posts) - - Show Bio

I mainly read comics but I've been reading a lot more manga lately. My only problem with it is that with a majority of them not being coloured, it's sometimes hard to discern what's actually happening in the panels

#21 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (15898 posts) - - Show Bio

Depends on my mood a bit.. But Manga are slightly more creative, imo. (I still love it when goku powers up and shakes ground lol)

#22 Posted by SoftMachineOo (128 posts) - - Show Bio

no point on making this in comic site, just saying... but yeah I prefer comics. what bug me the most about manga is how they all ( I could be wrong) use the same expresions.

#23 Edited by _Braveheart_ (1382 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics.

#24 Posted by ShadowSwordmaster (11392 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics.

#25 Posted by The_Legendary_SuperSaiyan_Hulk (9338 posts) - - Show Bio

Manga~

#26 Edited by ThatGuyWithHeadPhones (9864 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow

manga's doing way better then I thought it would be

#27 Posted by BigL (235 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics. I've only ever read manga two or three times when I was bored at the library, and that was years ago

#28 Posted by nickzambuto (12665 posts) - - Show Bio

Having a manga book in my hands usually makes me feel like a bigger nerd than having a comic, if that answers your question.

#29 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (15898 posts) - - Show Bio

no point on making this in comic site, just saying... but yeah I prefer comics. what bug me the most about manga is how they all ( I could be wrong) use the same expresions.

use the same expressions, as in?

#30 Posted by SoftMachineOo (128 posts) - - Show Bio

like blood coming out of someone's nose after seeing something perverted. things like that.

#31 Posted by KingOfAsh (3495 posts) - - Show Bio

Both

#32 Posted by PrinceAragorn1 (15898 posts) - - Show Bio

like blood coming out of someone's nose after seeing something perverted. things like that.

Ah, I see..

#33 Posted by InFamous_Wolf (958 posts) - - Show Bio

I like comics ALOT more than manga. But, manga is cool to.

#34 Edited by Cr4pSnip3r (302 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics. Manga feels like copy pasta in every story, even where the whole concept is completely different.

#35 Posted by sagejonathan (1782 posts) - - Show Bio

I like comics more, but I also like manga.

#36 Posted by Twentyfive (2743 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the mainstream manga, and anime they generate sucks. Not going to lie to you. There are notable exceptions like Death Note and whathaveyou, but for the most part they are no good.

One Piece had some amazing stories like Jaya and CP9 Saga, but when it comes time to fight, it becomes incredibly formulaic and boring as hell.

Naruto on his quest to save Sasuke, or whatever he's trying to do got stale, and Bleach as well after they saved Rukia.

However, there are some manga that are great and fresh to read, like Kurosagi, and Soul Eater (my personal tastes).

Anyway, each have their own ups and downs. Manga's up is it's consistency, which has to do with the authors maintaining ownership of their characters. Their down is the weird and random ish you see for absolutely no reason.

Comics, especially (maybe only) from the big two are inconsistent as hell most of the time, but they pay you back with some awesome stories, amazing art, and new perspectives on the societies of which they reflect. Or whatever.

#37 Posted by Joygirl (18033 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics! >8D

#38 Edited by Chibi_cute (4388 posts) - - Show Bio

Manga Is better drawn for me if you compare the drawings styles also much more detailed.. some of the comic drawings are just poorly drawn it looks like a highschooler have done it. Also manga is lightyears more diverse than comics when it comes to genre.

#39 Posted by sousukesagara (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Manga

#40 Posted by KingOfAsh (3495 posts) - - Show Bio

@cr4psnip3r said:

Comics. Manga feels like copy pasta in every story, even where the whole concept is completely different.

I feel the same about superhero comics.

#41 Posted by Catsnlynne (980 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics

#42 Edited by Cr4pSnip3r (302 posts) - - Show Bio

@cr4psnip3r said:

That's fair enough. To each their own. Just remember, Superhero Comics =/= All Comics.

#43 Edited by TheAcidSkull (17148 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics- Even though Current Ones Suck.

Couldn't care less abut Manga, not that it's bad though.

#44 Posted by guttridgeb (4831 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics, I enjoy manga but the lack of colour often makes it difficult to work out what's going on and the different order of reading can be confusing for me.

#45 Posted by KingOfAsh (3495 posts) - - Show Bio

@cr4psnip3r said:

@kingofash said:

@cr4psnip3r said:

That's fair enough. To each their own. Just remember, Superhero Comics =/= All Comics.

I know non-superhero comics are vastly different from superhero comics. Personally I enjoy non-superhero comics more, but I'd occasionally read a superhero comic.

#46 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7561 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics, I've flicked through a few Manga's and I just cant get on with them at all.

#47 Posted by TDK_1997 (14418 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics.I like manga but I can't read it for a long time as the comic books.

#48 Posted by jwalser3 (4793 posts) - - Show Bio

Having a manga book in my hands usually makes me feel like a bigger nerd than having a comic, if that answers your question.

Same here.

And why would you ask this on a comic forum? I bet if you went to animevice and asked you'd have a bigger percent in manga.

#49 Posted by martyyy15 (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Comics for me. I read bleach manga online because I love bleach and I wanted to continue the story, but thats the only manga I read. I read way more comics lol.....But my two favorite characters from comics and anime are Hal Jordan and Ichigo Kurosaki!!!!!!

#50 Posted by War Killer (19860 posts) - - Show Bio

I like both, but I'm mainly a comic guy. I've tried to get into different Manga titles before, but I never seem to find any stories that keep my interest.