Do You Have What It Takes To Be A Hero...REALLY??

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Osiris1428

We all know the underlying theme of superhero comics: extraordinary people thrust into extraordinary situations trying to bring truth and justice to an often times deceptive and unjust world. We know the famous quote from Spider-Man: With Great Power Comes GREAT Responsibility. But do we really need to be bit by radioactive spiders to do great things? Being alive in itself could be considered a great power. "A day above the ground..." 

If the opportunity arose to do something good for a random person that you saw in need,knowing that there may be no fame or notoriety as a result of your selfless act, would you do it? In fact, could you act courageously, in an attempt to do a good deed, knowing it might end in the loss of your own life. And finally, as you lie dieing, as people pass you in the street, and no one, not even the person you saved, comes to help you, would you stop to regret what you've attempted to do: bring a bit of good to an evil world? That is what happened to a New Yorker in Queens in an article released last year. I saw this article in my timeline on Facebook. Brought to my attention from the good folks at Superherostuff.com.  

For your consideration:   Stabbed hero dies as more than 20 people stroll past him  

So hows 'bout it--do you have what it takes to be a real life hero?

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#2  Edited By Mercy_

I have it in me to do good things, but I don't know if I have it in me to be a "hero". 

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt

I have what it takes to be a real badass villain. 

Hero, meh.

Donnieman v5.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Donnieman v5.1

Absolutely not.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Magian

No idea.

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CATPANEXE
 If the opportunity arose to do something good for a random person that you saw in need,knowing that there may be no fame or notoriety as a result of your selfless act, would you do it?

I have though I do get a sense of satisfaction from having done something to help. Its a particularly more complex question in fact when you change the 
" random person " with someone who despises you and has hurt you when you think of it

In fact, could you act courageously, in an attempt to do a good deed, knowing it might end in the loss of your own life. 

I have though not courageously, I was scared out of my wits. I dont even know whether it was good subjectively, just an act of love.

And finally, as you lie dieing, as people pass you in the street, and no one, not even the person you saved, comes to help you, would you stop to regret what you've attempted to do: bring a bit of good to an evil world?

I would have to die to actually know this.
Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Osiris1428
@The Dark Huntress said:
" I have it in me to do good things, but I don't know if I have it in me to be a "hero".  "
For the sake of this thread and the article, lets say the "humane" thing is the "heroic" thing. "Villainy" and "Indifference" are interchangeable.
TheSheepHerder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By TheSheepHerder

I have what it takes to be a normal citizen. Nothing more.

yeopop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 78

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By yeopop

You need courage to be a hero.
Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

some people will say they do have it in them and others will say they dont but i think no one really knows until the opertunity presents its self. Me, I wouldn't say I'm a hero but I have done whats needed to be done before so I would do it again.

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#11  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt
@CATPANEXE:
courage is doing something despite being afraid my friend :) 

you win
Metro_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12  Edited By Metro_Man

I once got a girl out of a burning house, so I like to think so. But honestly I have no idea if I could do it again, it was a moment kind of thing, but the house was on fire, and I heard her crying, I just went for it. The Fire Truck pulled up a few min later, and they were like damn kid, stupid but good work, I was 17 at the time, she was 9.
EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#13  Edited By EdwardWindsor

I think everyone has the abilty to be a hero , it just depends on circumstance and  behaviour at thoose specific moments in time. Have i done some heroic things sure , but so have many people and whats to say that one deed is better than another unless its on a very grand scale.

Avatar image for killer_of_trolls
Killer_of_trolls

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Killer_of_trolls

I think I allready am hero, I saved my 9th grade teacher from drawning, we had a boat trip back then, and me and my friend were stuck on the teachers boat,cause there has to be 3 people on each one,  while me and my friend were rawing the boat, she stood up for some reason and a tree branch hit her head and she lost balance and fell in the water, and I had to jump in to save her, while my friend just stayed and took a picture with my cellphone(I gave it to him so it wouldn't get wet), I still have that picture today, each time I look at it, it makes me feel like a good person inside.
spawn devil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By spawn devil

No, but I could always become the villain.

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Osiris1428

Thanks for participating,guys.

Avatar image for the_devil_tiger
The Devil Tiger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By The Devil Tiger
@Osiris1428:  

I think I would try to be one. But sincerely I don't know : a anti hero, maybe ? 

It's really hard to be one those day. Society make much to alienate people over one another those day : competition, so-called responsibility that translate in the fact in egoism. 

More the fact that sometimes you get punished for doin' the good thing, which is worse at my sight than being no rewarded for doing the right thing. 

It take very much of yourself to be a Hero.

Sincerely, as a father of a children, I think first of my child, second of a stranger that I will meet in the street, but I know too that sometimes, I forgot to think about it and could move my a$$ to help another. 

My wife is truly a hero, she wronged some soldier in the wrong direction in Genocide in Rwanda, in '94. They were searching for tutsi children and asked her where they go : she pointed the other way. They could have been returning to bash her, rape or even kill her. (Luckily they don't)  

I also saw firsthand that she was the only people who was willing to truly do something for a guy who was lying on the ground, barefooted, in a tramway station the middle of the november. She went out of her way to help the guy and told the personnel of the station. Theses people just said to her to let him and were doin' nothing. Frankly I was disilisionned with people, but I was even more impressed with my wife. 
  Those day, I try to emulate her.

@rapest_of_super_heros:
You can feel like one.  

mikethekiller

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By mikethekiller

I have what it takes to be a decent person. Does that count for anything?

goldenshot80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By goldenshot80
@spawn devil said:
" No, but I could always become the villain. "
Ahhh, Now thats what I could be
TypingKira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By TypingKira
@mikethekiller said:
" I have what it takes to be a decent person. Does that count for anything? "
THis.  

I don't know about a hero, but I could definitely for for being an exemplary human being. 
Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22  Edited By Shadow_Thief
@CATPANEXE:  That's actually the very definition of courage: overcoming fear. The fact that you were scared doesn't detract from your deed in any way, it just proves that you have a healthy, functioning survival instinct.
Feral Nova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By Feral Nova  Moderator

....I doubt it lol if I freak out with spiders... I doubt I can stand up to a man with a gun xD

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By InnerVenom123

Without reading the OP or any other posts I can give my answer.

Nope. :P

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#25  Edited By SC  Moderator
"If the opportunity arose to do something good for a random person that you saw in need, knowing that there may be no fame or notoriety as a result of your selfless act, would you do it?" 

Sure, even if they weren't in need, doing something nice for others I feel is one of the most selfishly rewarding things there is, with the added benefit of assisting another person as well, if they were in need, well even more so. So I question the term selfless here. Its a matter of perception.

In fact, could you act courageously, in an attempt to do a good deed, knowing it might end in the loss of your own life.   

Depends, bear in mind sometimes the more courageous act is being smart enough and intelligent enough to come out of situations alive so that you can help more people for dozens and dozens of years after. People usually have responsibilities for other people. Is it less courageous for a suicidal person to risk their life for another human, if they would risk their life regardless? Essentially though yes, I would risk my own life, but not courageously and not for a good deed, but because I value people and I think other people value people too and more concisely, why not? 

And finally, as you lie dieing, as people pass you in the street, and no one, not even the person you saved, comes to help you, would you stop to regret what you've attempted to do: bring a bit of good to an evil world?   

No, I would try my best to smile, and think of a beach. I love the beach. That or I would walk it off LOL

Thank you for the link, I shall look at it now. Oh awwh, he was homeless. Thats, I have an affinity for the homeless. I don't blame those people too much, if they didn't see what happened, or couldn't see blood. People treat the homeless or homeless looking pretty poorly in a lot of places. Within this context I find this man to be a hero. Its easy to not care when your homeless. 

@The Dark Huntress said: 

" I have it in me to do good things, but I don't know if I have it in me to be a "hero".  "

I know, and you do.  

@Donnieman v5.1 said: 

" Absolutely. "

I fixed that for you! lol    
Donnieman v5.1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#26  Edited By Donnieman v5.1
@SC: I'm glad you have faith in me :3
Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Iron_Turtle

Reading that article makes me mad. 
Where the hell was the woman that he saved? You would think that she would call the police or something. 

I couldn't be a hero. The urge to cause mischief and mayhem would be too much. 
I'm also petty, violent and emotional.

Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes, I think I have what it takes.
Avatar image for deadpoolvironfist
DeadpoolvIronFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Iron_Turtle said:
"Reading that article makes me mad. 
Where the hell was the woman that he saved? You would think that she would call the police or something.