Do you hate being compared?

marvelelite09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Personally, I posted this thread to cool my head off. During dinner we discussed for my graduation and and I did not enter the honor roll. I was hoping for a positive response because I'll graduate instead I got scolded for not entering the honor roll and I was compared to my cousin who made through the honor roll. Why people wants me to be somebody that I'm not. I'm sick of being compared I have my own talents and they have their own and yet they still notice others and not you. Are you sick of being compared?

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By JugJugBanks

so, correct me if I am wrong, but you are asking us if we are sick of it academically/profesionally, as opposed to being compared as friends or relatives?

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Yes, that's on the long, long list of things my parents do that I resent them for

marvelelite09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jugjugbanks: is up to you if you take it professionaly or academically

nickthedevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yes. Although my parents don't do it, I'm not subject to it very much if at all. I abhor it mostly due to my massive ego. Which I hide VERY well in social situations, but if I get compared to someone else it's on. It's a big tick off for me.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They are different. Who you are born to is not the same as what you can choose to learn to become a comix or animation paid professional, or SAT tests.

You can be a Lisa Simspson genius and be born to a meat bag version of Bender in Futurama. Nothing you do or say will make a difference to such a meat-head (or in this case, iron-head).

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't really bother me. Especially when the person who is doing the judging hasn't stepped up to the pedestal either.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp: Or you have and they haven't, as per audience vs. actor. Well said, mon ami.

marvelelite09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jugjugbanks: the main question still is do you hate being compared? As long you are being compared you can aswer this question whether professionaly/academicaly

marvelelite09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By marvelelite09
Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

User Lists: 7

My family never compares me to other family.

marvelelite09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By marvelelite09
Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By deactivated-5c901e667a76c  Moderator

Not exactly the same thing, but my mom's favorite way to guilt me is "your grandparents would be so disappointed in you".

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jugjugbanks: the main question still is do you hate being compared? As long you are being compared you can aswer this question whether professionaly/academicaly

As a paid artist and writer, NO. If I do my job and CARE about my job and am not some lazy arse slacker-ass hipstertard looking for a hand-out, without knowing me at all, you will see my work, buy my work and that is that. The relationship as per this thread is clear, honest and clean.

In terms of Family, however, baring in mind the sad truths of King Lear and Cordelia (penned by Shakespeare), no, not happy.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#15 SC  Moderator

No I loved being compared to others in an effort to shame my own accomplishments, it helped foster a sense of sarcasm in me, and don't-give-a-damn in what others-think-of-me attitude that can only come as the natural result from such comparisons. Embrace the comparisons, it will make you a deeper, more insightful, egotistical and attractive person in the future… well unless the people making the harsh comparisons are right and you end up homeless in a third world country shooting drugs into your veins as you wander around singing Stings 'Englishman in New York' with a pack of wild, feral and rabid cats. Though I am sure there are certain benefits to living with a gang of cats as well.

If it really bothers you though, try not to take it to heart, sometimes people have odd ideas about ways to motivate other people, chances are the people doing the comparisons care deeply about you and just worry about your future and their idea of your happiness and success relies on certain tangible markers. Possibly a type of projection, can depend, so try and think about what they mean, rather than what they say. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself and resent them too much.

marvelelite09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By marvelelite09
Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sc said:

No I loved being compared to others in an effort to shame my own accomplishments, it helped foster a sense of sarcasm in me, and don't-give-a-damn in what others-think-of-me attitude that can only come as the natural result from such comparisons. Embrace the comparisons, it will make you a deeper, more insightful, egotistical and attractive person in the future… well unless the people making the harsh comparisons are right and you end up homeless in a third world country shooting drugs into your veins as you wander around singing Stings 'Englishman in New York' with a pack of wild, feral and rabid cats. Though I am sure there are certain benefits to living with a gang of cats as well.

If it really bothers you though, try not to take it to heart, sometimes people have odd ideas about ways to motivate other people, chances are the people doing the comparisons care deeply about you and just worry about your future and their idea of your happiness and success relies on certain tangible markers. Possibly a type of projection, can depend, so try and think about what they mean, rather than what they say. Try not to put too much pressure on yourself and resent them too much.

QFT.

marvelelite09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By marvelelite09

@sc: Hey thnx man that advice helped me alot

Rouflex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@sc said:

Can i take a one day trip inside your brain?

Pilasy:La Voix d'un homme

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@marvelelite09: Thannk you.

Unfortunately, no matter what a few fanlings get upset with me over saying, the only way to get paid to draw comics is to *accept* being compared. That's what portfolio reviews ARE. That's what sending your samples to editors against FIVE THOUSAND OTHER PEOPLE A MONTH to Marvel or DC or Dark Horse means.

Only whiney ass babies have a problem with that, because no-one4 on THIS site makes that rule: the companies do. and no-one on THIS site (despite a certain whiney UNPAID artist I'm thinking of) denies that someone on Facebook or an unpublished person in the back of Wondercoin

(that's not a typo, it's a pun)

Artist's Alley is "the same" as someone who got a $2000 royalty check from Vertigo.

They'll be a snivelling 2 faced beeeeeeatche and whine about it here or at CBR and pretend that's not the case, though.

Until they make their first $3000 off a single issue by any of the big 5.

Then the asswanks change their tune pretty fast. ;)

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Never been compared to anyone else. Sounds annoying though.

JugJugBanks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes one glad to not be a triplet or quintuplet. ack.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Story of my life.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sometimes.

Artyom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Artyom

Yes, but not nearly as much as I hate being generalized.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes

Avatar image for captain_batman_ftw
captain_batman_FTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've barely been compared to anyone, and even when I have been, I didn't really care.

TheBlondeGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No. I believe in my own uniqueness and capabilities. You should too.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

That's why I'm one of a kind

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Well I'm the younge brother.....so......but it's usually how I'm better whether it be teachers, friends, family, coaches, ex GFs, etc

Impervious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Yes

ParaChomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't find it fair to compare any two things to prove that one is better than the other. To prove that one's aspects are better than another I am find understandable..

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I made Honor Roll this semester. My brother didn't. So they compared him to me. When it comes to sports or math I'm compared to my brother. Meh. I learned to just live with it. It's normal for people to compare themselves to others no matter what.

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I always hate it

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't get compared in that way often, but I do hate it whenever it does happen or whenever it has happened.

Rayox21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate being compared, I'm smart but the problem is people think I'm smarter than what I really am (BTW in the age of 10 my IQ was at least 140)

Chibi_cute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I despise it..

Avatar image for deathstroke_terminater
deathstroke_terminater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never really happened to me, but if it did it'd probably be annoying

makhai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am not usually compared to many people. People are more often being compared to me. So I can't really answer the question.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3
deactivated-5a04a566e9ae3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not to sound edgy, but I am who I am, and I don't care much what others think of me.

Noone301994

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nope.

hatemalingsia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

Helicoprion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

yes

Just_Banter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i'm perfect so no one does it anyway

Avatar image for comicbookhoarder
Comicbookhoarder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yerp

Avatar image for deactivated-097092725
deactivated-097092725

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Pretty much a yardstick. I resent the resentment caused by this.

ElderSkaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate being compared when i play warwick and you play volibear