do you guys consider marching band to be a sport

• 51 results
tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

so lately a debate rose at school is marching band a sport i think it is because after 2 years of it it is just as physically demanding as any sport sometimes more what do you guys think

Sherlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That goes for most things though.I wouldnt considering eating contests a sport even though those are physically taxing.That being said i never did band

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#3 JediXMan  Moderator

Not really, no. I understand why it's considered as such, but it doesn't seem to match up with other things that can be considered "sports" (but, then again, I find the concept of bowling being considered a sport to be rather perplexing).

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sherlock well we have competitions to see whos best in the district, state, country excetera. we work as a team we practice more than a majority of our football teams so by that logic would you consider it a sport

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By KnightRise

LOL no

Objective scoring= Sport.

Subjective scoring= Let me break it down. You could train and practice 365 days a year. You could literally kill a pack of wolverines with your elbows while juggling active chainsaws and riding a unicycle, but if you get scored based on your coordination, style, appearence or anything else not directly tied to the act that scores points, its not a sport. Same goes for cheerleading. Its not about how phyically demanding the task is.

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By tasir
Sherlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#8  Edited By Delphic

@tasir: It depends on what you're band does. If your band only goes to games to perform then it is more so an extracurricular activity, but that doesn't mean it's not demanding. The sport side of it is when you get into the competition side of it. If your band goes to competitions where they are judged and compared to other bands in a similar class then it becomes sport like. In a way it's like gymnastics, and you're judged based on form and precision. Also like most sports, marching band has it's own form of professional league: DCI (Drum Corp International). It's an amazing program where band members from all over the nation volunteer for a band and spend the summer traveling the nation and performing in different stadiums nearly every night.

Loading Video...

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: So gymnastics is not a sport? Same goes with wushu, diving or sync swimming? Please tell me they aren't sports.... I so want them out of the Olympics!

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a sport.

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@delphic we do football games parades MPA and FBA's which are 2 big band performances where we get ranked

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

@delphic this was our band this year we got a superior rating superior=A

Uncanny_Doom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Honestly I consider anything that is done in organized competition to be a sport. I don't think it has to be physical at all. Not to say marching band isn't.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tasir: In my opinion then I would classify it as a sport because you are ranked, but there are going to always be those who disagree. I personally saw it as a sport, because there were a lot of band members in my Alma mater that were in better shape than some football players. It takes a lot of dedication to carry a horn for hours on end, and to run the same drills over and over until your shoulder dislocates from a sousa that's too heavy for your frame. Oh, and contras wooowee, imagine having to hold an awkward 50 pound piece of metal out in front of you and having to snap it up into playing position on command over and over and over. There's not a lot of people who can do that. So having said that, yeah marching band is a sport. ^_^

Oscuro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@uncanny_doom: you basically read my mind. I'd consider any competition a sport.

Now with that being said I wouldnt consider someone in a marching band an "athlete" per se. But i cant play an instrument so my respect is given to anyone who can

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knightrise: So gymnastics is not a sport? Same goes with wushu, diving or sync swimming? Please tell me they aren't sports.... I so want them out of the Olympics!

Fighting sports, most gymnastics, and diving are scored subjectively, yes, but the things that they're subjectively judged on are directly tied to the act of scoring. A cheerleading team will lose points if their faces aren't aestetically pleasing (facials as they're called. I poked fun at quite a few of my slutty cheerleader friends in high school for that). Tell me that a marching band or a synchronized swim team wouldn't lose points if they wore street clothes and du-rags.

But it really doesn't matter. "Sport" is just a word. I respect anything challenging that I could never do.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Delphic

@tasir: Not bad,

I would show you stuff from my years in band, but unfortunately I don't have any of the footage on the computer. I can tell you though that in my freshman year back in 2003 we went to the Outback Bowl and performed in a band competition there. We scored at the top of everything and were above all the other bands except in danceline which was only because we didn't have one. Since we won, we performed out halftime-show during the Outback Bowl pre-game.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

The marching part is a sport definitely, but the musical competition less so.

Avatar image for anywhichwaybutup
AnyWhichWayButUp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've done marching and football. Footballs on a whole other level of strenuous activity, but marching can be a chore. I had base drum which ways 10-15 pounds and lugging that long beast everywhere is annoying and painful if you don't keep your posture. So in ways it's a sport but all around no.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

There's not one definition of Sport, it's a very broad term. And if playing darts is considered a sport just for the scoring aspect, i can sure as hell put Marching band under the definition of sport which is physically demanding.

DH69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

hahahahahaha what?! sport?! hahahahaha, now back to whatever it is i claim to do.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wouldn't call it a sport. Are soldiers playing sport in the defense force?

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#23  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

LOL no

Objective scoring= Sport.

Subjective scoring= Let me break it down. You could train and practice 365 days a year. You could literally kill a pack of wolverines with your elbows while juggling active chainsaws and riding a unicycle, but if you get scored based on your coordination, style, appearence or anything else not directly tied to the act that scores points, its not a sport. Same goes for cheerleading. Its not about how phyically demanding the task is.

I essentially agree with this. Well said.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Only on comic vine could people get into a debate on weather marching bands are a sport. :D

That is why I love this site heh heh

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Marching Band is not a sport and i'm sorry to tell you this, but only a person in marching band would say its as physically demanding as one. Maybe it's because I came from two very competitive high schools where I played both Baseball and American Football, but I can't help but feel it's totally different.

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tasir
Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

no

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Chronus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Chronus

sport

/spôrt/

Noun
An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others.

A marching band does not fit into the definition of a sport.

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chronus marching band is quite physical look at any advanced marching band and watch how they march that takes years of practice and we compete against other marching bands in district and state competitions all the time it meets the definition perfectly

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tasir said:

@chronus marching band is quite physical look at any advanced marching band and watch how they march that takes years of practice and we compete against other marching bands in district and state competitions all the time it meets the definition perfectly

Want to know what else is physically straining and takes practice to master? Yoga.

Just because something requires some physical involvement doesn't mean it's a sport. Seriously. Join your football team for a season and then tell me marching bad is a sport.

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By tasir

@falconpuuunch ive done soccer basketball baseball and band band was the most psychically demanding

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tasir said:

@falconpuuunch ive done soccer basketball baseball and band band was the most psychically demanding

becaused you marched? i dont understand in basketball they make you do up downs and suicides dont they? that by itself seems harder

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

#35  Edited By Teerack

A lot more work goes into marching band then most other sports so i'd say ya.

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tasir said:

@russellmania77 have you ever done laps with a sousaphone on your shoulder

nope but in wrestling they made us do indian runs with weights, in football they had us running gassers on the field with all the equipment on, also do do bear craws to one side of the field and back, they would condition at the end of practice with runing up and down steps (different ways) run up and down hills, flip tires, up downs and mountain climers as condition in football

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By tasir

@russellmania77well we do just as much work as that in our during band camp which is from 7-5 we spend the whole time practicing

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tasir said:

@russellmania77well we do just as much work as that in our during band camp which is from 7-5 we spend the whole time practicing

oh really, cuz during the summers we did 2-a-days which went from 9 am - 8 pm, we hit the field almost the whole day than we went to the weight room and lifted weights

2chimcha3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

No I don't. If so, then I would consider testing as a sport.

olbassey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By olbassey

@tasir said:

so lately a debate rose at school is marching band a sport i think it is because after 2 years of it it is just as physically demanding as any sport sometimes more what do you guys think

I did marching band for two years and was a 4 year starter on my highschool's varsity soccer team. Having done both, I can say with absolute and supreme confidence that there is NO WAY marching band is as physically demanding as soccer. I'd assume that is also the case with football and basketball, but may give that statement some credit with regards to golf of baseball...

Having said that, you CAN letter in most highschools in marching band, so if that's your criteria, then Yes it is a sport.

@knightrise

Gymnastics is a sport that involves Subjective Grading, and it's featured in the Olympics...

FalconPuuunch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By FalconPuuunch

@tasir said:

I can't really take this argument seriously. If marching was just as physically demanding as let's say football, then why are most marching band members in average shape at best and football/soccer/baseball/basketball players is top shape? I mean, not everyone who participates in these sports are fit, but most usually are, especially if they are representing a very competitive school (like mine was). I don't see ripped band members marching down the field.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

It is an activity, and it may be demanding at times, but it isn't a sport.

Avatar image for deactivated-59d945143d79a
deactivated-59d945143d79a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

It is an activity, and it may be demanding at times, but it isn't a sport.

this

Pfcoolio14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The band memebers are probably more fit than line, but someone who plays a skill position, probably not.

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

tasir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

im not in this but stuff like this is extremely demanding

Avatar image for norrinboltagonprime21
NorrinBoltagonPrime21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

its not a sport. a sport requires more organization, teams, rules, and an objective to be accomplished. just because something is physically demanding doesn't make it a sport. campaigning for president can be physically demanding but it is not a sport.

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By russellmania77

@tasir said:

@russellmania77 band camp was 14 days

well we had rip camp that lasted a month than 2-a-days till the end of summer than football season

thespideyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes. I practice clarinet everyday for a half hour, I'm exhausted and in a cold sweat when I'm done.