Do you go to the theater often or just for CBMs?

• 60 results
ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

I go to the movies almost every Saturday to watch a movie, seems like an interesting movie comes out every Friday. I think I spend more money on going to the theaters than I do on comics lately...

Recent movies I've seen were Prisoners and Rush, which were both great movies. Some movies I'm going to see Runner Runner, Captain Phillips, and maybe Gravity. Still not sure if Gravity will be good.

So do you go to the theaters often or just for comic book movies?

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I don't go as much as I use to. If I do, it'd mostly be for pretty big (anticipated) films like Man of Steel.

gunmetalgrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Whenever there's anything worth seeing in a theater, anything that's just better when you watch it with a larger screen and a larger audience. Usually, a decent action or horror flick does the trick.

Tyrus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tyrus

I hate to admit it, but The Avengers was the real turning point for me... This year I've only watched IM3, MoS, Wolverine, Kick Ass 2 (exception is Pacific Rim). I could have gone and seen Star Trek or World War Z for all I cared but I didn't because I kept anticipating the next CBM one after the other...

Avatar image for turel_hash_ak_gik
turel_hash_ak_gik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

no. i go to other types of movies. i saw star trek into darkness, couple of movies made by my country (mostly dramas). i have been going recently mostly to see CBMs though due to not being anything else that worth the price of admision.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

If I'm interested in the film, I go.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By ccraft

I don't go as much as I use to. If I do, it'd mostly be for pretty big (anticipated) films like Man of Steel.

Do you rent movies instead?

Whenever there's anything worth seeing in a theater, anything that's just better when you watch it with a larger screen and a larger audience. Usually, a decent action or horror flick does the trick.

I think Rush is one of those movies, just the sound alone is worth it.

@tyrus said:

I hate to admit it, but The Avengers was the real turning point for me... This year I've only watched IM3, MoS, Wolverine, Kick Ass 2 (exception is Pacific Rim). I could have gone and seen Star Trek or World War Z for all I cared but I didn't because I kept anticipating the next CBM one after the other...

I haven't missed a comic book movie since Avengers too, a lot of people don't get that cbm will be different than comics, but why should that be a bad thing? IM3 wasn't great, but it was some what enjoyable, like the graphics an humor. Anyways, World War Z was pretty good action flick, it's worth renting.

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By IrishX

I pretty much only go to see a film on the big screen at the Drive-In during the summer. Comic films/Kids films are usually what we would go see.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This, I try to never miss CBMs but I also like other movies, I'm actually very excited for Gravity, it looks stunning.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@irishx said:

I pretty much only go to see a film on the big screen at the Drive-In during the summer. Comic films/Kids films are usually what we would go see.

My drive-in was sold to a car port business, which sucks because that place was awesome...

@rustyroy said:

@the_stegman said:

This, I try to never miss CBMs but I also like other movies, I'm actually very excited for Gravity, it looks stunning.

You seeing it tonight? I'm not sure if I'm gonna see it or not, it looks great, but I don't want to the film to be 2 hours of her flying around in space lol. I might see it next weekend.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By Saren

I go all the time. I wanted to check out Elysium last week, but it was booked out. So I booked a ticket for Rush, without any idea of what the movie was about or who was acting in it. It turned out to be a pretty good biopic of Niki Lauda, and I enjoyed myself. It's the sort of experience that reinforces my love for movies.

Extremis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 55

#12  Edited By Extremis

I'm a film buff so I love movies regardless if they're comic book based or not. But it's always a plus as I love comics as well as movies.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@citizenbane: Rush was excellent. I just saw it. For me it was more intense than MOS!

IrishX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft: The Drive-In is certainly a dying business which really does suck. They had this thing play before the movies last year that said something like in the last 10 years the number of them has dropped from 4,000 to 400 theaters nation wide.

Maybe I'm just nostalgic but I don't like sitting in a theater with a lot of people too. We always get there as soon as they open and get that spot right up front in the middle. Back the SUV up so the kids can jump in the back and lay down if they want. Then the kids and I play frisbee and I'll usually bring a trade to read to kill time before the movie. Both the kids have birthdays during the Winter though and we have traditionally gone to see something as part of their birthday as well.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@citizenbane: Elysuim was awesome, I didn't know until the week after that the guy from District 9 was in it lol. I went to watch Rush with not expecting much, but it turned out a pretty great movie. I didn't even know it was based on an actual evens. To be honest, I went to see it because of Chris Hemsworth, the trailer peaked my interest the most.

Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mainly horror movies, on account of my girlfriend. She avoids comic book movies so I have to watch them while she's asleep. I'm living a lie.

darkbeam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Only comicbook movies are some kind of nerd movie.

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

You seeing it tonight? I'm not sure if I'm gonna see it or not, it looks great, but I don't want to the film to be 2 hours of her flying around in space lol. I might see it next weekend.

I'm going tomorrow, and I know people think that it will be only about Clooney and Sandra flying around in the space for 2 hrs but I'm sure its more than that, people thought the same about 127 Hours, and I thought that was a great movie, Gravity is also getting great reviews if that helps.

KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm part of a squad of folk, called "the Crew", that go to nearly every comic book midnight movie premiere. We reach numbers upwards of 25-30 (typically ten to 15). On occasion we'll see action and comedy movies at midnight, too.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Not often, but I don't go JUST for comic book movies.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 the_stegman  Moderator

@ccraft: I've seen Gravity, it's amazing, you won't be disappointed.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@irishx: You're lucky, I don't even think our country has them.

As for films, I mainly only go if a group of friends is going, I'll persuade them to join me if there's a film I badly want to see (mainly CBMs).

Avatar image for marionettegeist
Marionettegeist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I rarely ever go, and if I do it's only for big movies. I just don't have the money to go to the theater every week.

Avatar image for deranged_midget
Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

Not as much as I used to no, but I've been going more frequently as of late. Prisoners was brilliant, I'm seeing Rush tonight and I can't wait to catch a glimpse of Gravity.

Superguy0009e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By Superguy0009e

Depends on the films. If there are a bunch of fun action films, I may be more willing to go. If it is just a bunch of crap, I wouldn't go.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't always go to the movies, but when I do I try to make sure the movie doesn't suck.

-The Most Interesting Man In The World

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

If my bros would go with me Id go more often, but since they dont I only go when on a date or when its a movie i really like, ive only gone to the theater 5 times in 4 years. Recently it was for Instructions not Included cus my entire family said I should go see it, but no movie has been as good to watch as MoS, only saw it twice but thats cus I need to be able to stop and then pace a little to process the awesome of that movie,

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

I love movies. I go to the theater almost every week.

I'll see almost anything once.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

I don't go to the theater as much as I want to actually because my town doesn't have a playing theater and I have to go to our capital if I want to watch a movie and that is like 20 bucks for tickets for transportation only and 10 more for the ticket for the movie and even more money for food and all of the other stuff.That is how things are whenever my parents can't help me out and drive me to Sofia.The last movie I watched though was today and it was Don Jon.Great movie and maybe the best comedy of the year.

ImmortalOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't go to the movies exclusively for CBMs, but I don't really go to theaters much anyways... I usually just wait to get it from Redbox.

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By HBKTimHBK

I go to the theatre for much more than just CBMs, and by the way, it's Sandra Bullock and George Clooney in space; Gravity is going to be great.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#33  Edited By nefarious

I go once in a blue moon.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34  Edited By cameron83

I only go like once a year (at most)

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

I only go like once a year (at most)

Me too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

I go maybe once every two months. Movies are awesome, but they're way too expensive.

muhabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By muhabba

I don't care how good your home theater is, nothing can beat watching a movie on a 30ft screen. And with the new digital projectors the picture quality has improved as well.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rustyroy said:

@ccraft said:

I'm going tomorrow, and I know people think that it will be only about Clooney and Sandra flying around in the space for 2 hrs but I'm sure its more than that, people thought the same about 127 Hours, and I thought that was a great movie, Gravity is also getting great reviews if that helps.

@ccraft: I've seen Gravity, it's amazing, you won't be disappointed.

I'll definitely see it next weekend, tonight I'm going to see Runner Runner. The trailers for Gravity looks great that's for sure.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Idk why my thread was moved from Gen Discussion to Off Topic, but whatever... Off Topic is better and less cluttered with junk...

WarBlade539

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By WarBlade539

Back home, I used to go often. Here, not so much.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Dabee

My movie theater is closed because of the government shutdown. So I'm not going anytime soon. :(

INLIFE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't go often but when I do, I go for what is interesting to me.

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Usually CBM's. A few other movies have dragged me away from home, though.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ccraft said:

@monsterstomp said:

Nope. I haven't rented a movie since I was a kid.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

The only none CMB movies I saw this past year were Star Trek: Into Darkness, Pacific Rim, and Despicable Me 2. That being said, I usually wait for most movies to come out on DVD anyways, even some CBM.

ccraft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee said:

My movie theater is closed because of the government shutdown. So I'm not going anytime soon. :(

Hows your theater involved with the government shut down?

@ccraft said:

@monsterstomp said:

Nope. I haven't rented a movie since I was a kid.

I usually try to rent movies I don't see in theaters, so I don't go often anymore either. Last movie I rent was Pain and Gain.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I've actually seen more (and enjoyed more) non comic movies than anything else this year. So far I've seen:

1. Iron Man 3 (1.5/5)

2. Man of Steel (4/5)

3. Star Trek (4/5)

4. This is the End (5/5)

5. Gravity (5/5)

6. Pacific Rim (3.5/5)

7. Kick Ass 2 (3/5)

8. The Wolverine (2.5/5)

9. Great Gatsby (2/5)

10. The World's End (4.5/5)

11. World War Z (3/5)

JLDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JLDoom

I go whenever I want to see a movie that interests me, and many times they're not CMBs.

tikhunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any film that I already have an emotional investment in already like most CBMs, The Hobbit, Percy Jackson etc.

Bruxae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hate people so I just wait until I get watch them at home.