#1 Posted by GraniteSoldier (4559 posts) - - Show Bio

With the advent of Netflix and similar services you ever go back and watch things you loved as a kid and think "holy hell I must have been eating paint chips". Not necessarily that phrase but something to that effect.

I'll be honest I re-watched some Pokémon with my nephew and was shocked I enjoyed it so much in middle school. Sorry to any Pokémon lovers out there not hating on your taste.

Anyone else have similar experiences?

#2 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

I prefer to look forward.

#3 Posted by GraniteSoldier (4559 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally didn't read what I wrote did ya? Or did you simply choose to ignore it? Haha

#4 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite said:

Totally didn't read what I wrote did ya? Or did you simply choose to ignore it? Haha

I read what you wrote, and my comment sort of pertains. I avoid watching old stuff because I don't trust nostalgia.

#5 Edited by GraniteSoldier (4559 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite:

Ah. Well that I get. Like I said my nephew is into it and I was babysitting. But I generalized to everyone.

#6 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@granitesoldier: Yeah my nephew's a little addicted to Netflix so I try and keep him from watching it if I'm watching him.

#7 Posted by GhostRavage (7583 posts) - - Show Bio

Nothing like go back and re-watch The Fresh Prince... Or some old DBZ... I actually laugh a lot with those things... Bring me way back... Like when watching some old video of Limp Bitzki and stuff... Or Pearl Jam...

#8 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (216 posts) - - Show Bio

I recently went back and watched some of the old He-Man cartoons from the 80s. In addition to being reminded of how much the producers reused the same animations, I also caught a few things I missed as a child.

My favorite instance of this was when the characters are traveling, and one of them says something to the effect of "we'll reach the village once we pass through this forest." You are given a brief glimpse of the map they are consulting, and if you pause the video, you can see that the forest they are traveling through is, indeed, labeled as "This Forest."

#9 Posted by pooty (10334 posts) - - Show Bio

@gwahlur_rising: and if you pause the video, you can see that the forest they are traveling through is, indeed, labeled as "This Forest."

I literally laughed out loud. That is uber funny. another thing I noticed is: Prince Adam is white. He-Man is brown. greatest disguise ever.

#10 Edited by Yung ANcient One (4358 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah... mostly I like, love, or remember how much influence it had on me. I can't remember what shows I loved that once I re-watched I was like What in the Blue hell was in those sammiches I used to eat.

( + )

#11 Posted by cattlebattle (12284 posts) - - Show Bio

@gwahlur_rising said:

My favorite instance of this was when the characters are traveling, and one of them says something to the effect of "we'll reach the village once we pass through this forest." You are given a brief glimpse of the map they are consulting, and if you pause the video, you can see that the forest they are traveling through is, indeed, labeled as "This Forest."

Thats actually a pretty famous joke...you will also notice that the area to the right is labeled the Emerald City and the north is simply Evil Area

#12 Posted by k4tzm4n (35208 posts) - - Show Bio

The Power Rangers movie. I couldn't finish it.

Staff
#13 Posted by russellmania77 (13624 posts) - - Show Bio

When I snapped my leg, I literally watched every episode of x-men, x-men evolution, and a bunch of other old toons I used to watched

#14 Posted by KnightRise (4753 posts) - - Show Bio

Nostalgia is automatic +5

#15 Posted by Wolverine08 (26787 posts) - - Show Bio

I actually enjoyed Batman and Robin when I watched it as a six year old in 2005. I'm still ashamed of myself........

#16 Posted by TDK_1997 (13718 posts) - - Show Bio

I was talking last night with my best friend about Yu-Gi-Oh and he said let's watch it and we were watching and went to sleep because we were watching for the whole night.

#17 Posted by Pyrogram (32263 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah I watched some old things, TMNT FTW

#18 Posted by King Saturn (222830 posts) - - Show Bio

I looked back one time and I saw my GF playing with her toes....

#19 Posted by NightCrawler358 (199 posts) - - Show Bio

I still enjoy some of the stuff I watched as a kid. I watched TV constantly, so the TV shows I care about enough to go back and watch now were pretty good. As a kid, when you watch everything, theres bound to be some tasteful stuff in the mix.

#20 Posted by k4tzm4n (35208 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

Yeah I watched some old things, TMNT FTW

The 1990 movie totally holds up.

Staff
#21 Posted by sagejonathan (1645 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been re-watching Batman Beyond, Justice League, Transformers, and Samurai Jack as of late. I really loved everything I watched as a kid, even the old pokemon cartoons. Re-watching them now, I have big appreciation for them. They were all fantastic and it makes modern Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney look retarded, which it is.

#22 Posted by joshmightbe (24101 posts) - - Show Bio

If you never look back how do you prevent ambush?

#23 Posted by Chaos Prime (10589 posts) - - Show Bio

I look back everytime im taking a left turn when on my bike :0

joking aside i love to watch old X-Men & Marvel cartoons.

#24 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@decoy_elite said:

If you never look back how do you prevent ambush?

Sensors.

#25 Posted by Cezar_TheScribe (2614 posts) - - Show Bio

The world went downhill after 1999.

So, looking back is good.

#26 Edited by GraniteSoldier (4559 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been re-watching Batman Beyond, Justice League, Transformers, and Samurai Jack as of late. I really loved everything I watched as a kid, even the old pokemon cartoons. Re-watching them now, I have big appreciation for them. They were all fantastic and it makes modern Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, and Disney look retarded, which it is.

I actually spent July 4th watching Batman Beyond, that withstands time.

@k4tzm4n said:

The Power Rangers movie. I couldn't finish it.

Me and the wife did the same thing about a year ago. We made it 23 minutes in.

#27 Posted by Gwahlur_Rising (216 posts) - - Show Bio

@gwahlur_rising said:

Thats actually a pretty famous joke...you will also notice that the area to the right is labeled the Emerald City and the north is simply Evil Area

That's the one! So funny. From now on, whenever someone asks me where I'm from, I'm answering "Evil Area."

#28 Posted by JediXMan (27988 posts) - - Show Bio

Occasionally.

#29 Posted by YoungJustice (6387 posts) - - Show Bio

I watched Color of Friendship yesterday and critiqued the movie the whole time.

Me during the whole movie:

STFU Piper she apologized for being racist, get over it.

Piper why the f*ck would you tell your parents that you were talking about racial slurs. Like, da Fuq?

Hey Australian douchehead, you know taking her against her will without telling her parents is kidnapping right?

Pipers Mom, please pipe the f*ck down, you're annoying.

You don't even want too know how much rage was spit out of my mouth while trying to watch How To Eat Fried Worms...

#30 Edited by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

My tastes are more or less the same as they always been, but I do have the "I'm too old for this" in me, yet I watch Team Umizoomi and Franklin still. And I have an almost allergic reaction to the "Bad @$$" character.

#31 Edited by dccomicsrule2011 (21279 posts) - - Show Bio

Pokemon is nowhere near as good as what I thought it was growing up.

#32 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

Pokemon is nowhere near as good as what I thought it was growing up.

You don't mean the games do you ?

#33 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (21279 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio
#35 Posted by PowerHerc (78172 posts) - - Show Bio

Yep.

A lot of shows from my childhood haven't held up so well over time.

#36 Edited by INLIFE (1600 posts) - - Show Bio

I looked back one time and I saw my GF playing with her toes....

......hmm......Are they ugly or cute?

#37 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@cattlebattle said:

@gwahlur_rising said:

That's the one! So funny. From now on, whenever someone asks me where I'm from, I'm answering "Evil Area."

I am claiming "Great Waste."

#38 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh --- as for this thread, I guess Barney and Teletubbies. The whole hullaballoo over Tinky-Winky's purse (I think that's the one) managed to filter into my ears at the time and I couldn't understand what the big problem was. I just wished I had a yard like their's.

#39 Posted by Vortex13 (12156 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty much every Pauly Shore movie for me. Oh and Austin Powers. All of them, complete crap pretty much just totally immature humor that is completely unappealing to me these days. Almost all of the 90's super hero shows are hard for me to watch. Spider-Man, X-Men, oh god and don't get me started on that s##t Iron-Man series from the time.

A show that still lives up though is Gargoyles. And dammit Disney when are you going to release the whole freakin' series already! I needs the complete set and you've only released season one and part one of season two!

#40 Edited by MonsterStomp (13183 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this was going to be a deeper question.