Do you consider Rapping on par or as difficult as Singing?

No_Trolling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

If you're a good singer, then you were prob born with that capability. I personally think rapping is harder because no one is born wih it. I could never come up with a response like SLR2 in 48 hours. I had to use rapgenius to understand all of it.

GraniteSoldier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

A good rapper can be as good as a singer. When someone with actually talent raps, they use a wide vocabulary, don't make up words to make something rhyme, and their flow is poetic. Having said that, there are more bad rappers than there are good, but the good ones really make you respect rap as an art form.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Equally as hard. But like @granitesoldier said, there are more bad rappers than good, so I'll lean toward rap. People think of rap and they think "drugs, gangs, b*tches, money". You can thank old school rap for the bad reputation.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#204  Edited By Jnr6Lil

Yeah that's my argument with singing. Even though it takes great skill to pull off harder than rapping, at the end of the day if you're born with it, you're set to go. Rappers have to train to be good at rapping.

So in terms of actually doing, singing is harder.

But in terms of learning and having the skill, rapping is harder, since great singers are born great singers.

And there's more good rappers than bad.

@vaeternus: Yes we both agreed singing was harder. But a paid gig for a skit isn't the same as making actual Hip-Hop music.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#205  Edited By Vaeternus

@jnr6lil: I didn't say such concerning who's a pro and not(I even said I'm not a pro singer nor rapper) but rapping definitely more possible, but it's still a job regardless. And more plausible for someone to learn to rap before learning to sing, being my ultimate point. I don't make hip hop music, but to be fair I also never really tried because it's not my cup of tea. I'm more into voice acting actually, which is also a tough skill(versatile) as in changing the tone of my voice which is similar to singing when you hit highs and lows.

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#206  Edited By frogdog

Bias thread with a bias thread maker.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#207  Edited By Vaeternus

@ frogdog, Not really, if I were biased I wouldn't have given various poll options. As usual, you make a biased post though ^

The_Act

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am annoyed by how ignorant you are @vaeternus. I listened to your 'rapping' on that comedy skit. That was absolutely terrible and shouldn't even be considered rapping. Your argument is basically that, "I never said I was good at rapping, but the point is I did it." That isn't the dumbest thing I have ever read, but it is pretty close. See, I am a rapper, but I have a terrible singing voice. That said, I can still 'sing' but I am not good at it. It isn't something I practice, but while learning how to rap, I have also become a better singer. Why? Read on and find out.

It really bothers me when people who don't understand hip-hop try to downplay it as an art form.

1.) A lot of people really do not appreciate how difficult it is to be a GOOD rapper. A good rapper has a combination of various skills that make him or her, good.

Flow. Style. Delivery. Subject matter. Literary techniques. Diction and dialect.

Soulja boy is not a good rapper. 2 Chainz is not a good rapper. I am not even a good rapper. (I have come a LONG way in 4 or 5 months, though, with countless hours of practice)

2.) Rap. Is. Poetry.

At it's purest, it's the ultimate form of expression, because of the focus on lyricism.

You can't be a good rapper if you lack lyrical ability (story telling, multi-syllabic and multi-word rhyme schemes, metaphors, double and triple entendres, internal rhyming, off-rhymes, word play) Writing a song possessing all of those qualities is incredibly difficult.

Of course, not every song has to have a deep meaning to be lyrically potent. That's where the technical aspect of rapping comes in.

3.) Then comes developing your OWN unique flow and style. See, anybody can copy another artists flow, but creating and perfecting your own, is extremely challenging.

Rapping is a lot more complex than "talking in a rhythm" You have to good vocal control, breath control, voice inflection, and the ability to convey different emotions with your voice. Unless you want to sound flat and monotone. These are all challenges I am trying to overcome, and practicing these things have made me a better singer as well.

That said, ANYBODY can learn how to rap, but it takes a lot of practice to actually be able to do it well. However, some people can rap their whole lives and never be truly good at it. I will probably forever remain mediocre, but I constantly try to improve.

I just can't stand when people over simplify an entire genre of music, especially when they themselves could not produce, write, and a record the vocals, then mix and master a good rap song.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#209  Edited By Vaeternus

@the_act: Ok, few things while I respect your passionate view Obviously you're the one who's ignorant if you think rapping is more difficult then singing and missed what I said earlier. Which I'll get to in a moment, secondly I happen to make music myself via my korg so I assure you such assumptions are false. I can make a generic rap beat easily if I wanted to, being as how I've made music generally speaking(not singing nor rapping, just music) so I assure you a rap beat is nothing. I mean hell, people beat box it dude that should tell you right there it's not that difficult. Now on the skit.

I just want to say for one it was just that a "comedy skit" two, can you do better? The point of it was NOT to rap well, poorly or whatever but to make people laugh. But as I said, do you think you can do better, do you have any videos of you rapping? If not, I'd say you're in no place to judge others in that regard;) It wasn't meant to "impress anyone with rapping" but rather add to the comedy of the storyline we were going for, while your view is noted...there were thousands who enjoyed it so Swoozie and I are happy with that. As I told one other guy, the video isn't about "rapping" there are guys who rap battle on there who can rap well and they're hardly even trying so please...

Also, Rapping is easier then singing at the end of the day. Period, deal with it. You just admitted this by saying "ANYONE can learn how to rap" that's my point, where as Singing requires ALL of that and THEN some, altering the one, definition of your voice, vocal cords and in most cases WHILE playing a musical instrument as well as memorization. Rapping, you what? Memorize, rhyme with a beat/talking at a steady speed with the occasional ball grabs? Yeah...real hard man compared to singing, let me tell ya!

The difference here is while people can say "anyone can sing or rap" whether it's good or not is another story etc, sure...but I'd wager more people in this world would be able to RAP decently than SING remotely decent. Have you ever watched American Idol, singing competitions etc at all? There's a lot of people who aren't "horrible" yet get rejected fast because if you're remotely off with singing you're done. Period. Rapping however, there's way more slack, there's various styles, approaches and speeds to work with.

Take that as you will, but consider the thread poll before the site updated and deleted the options most people felt "Singing was harder than Rapping overall" just so you know. Has nothing to do with ignorance, everyone has a view on the topic but that being said it's also no secret that majority feel singing is more difficult to do then rapping at the end of the day.

The_Act

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#210  Edited By The_Act

Show me where I said that rapping is more difficult. Sharpen up your reading comprehension skills, and stop being so narrow minded. I addressed all of the aspects that make being a GOOD rapper very difficult, that is all. You are completely ignoring most of what I said, so i will do the same to you, and not even bother addressing your sad excuses for 'points.' You can downplay rap all you want, because you don't understand it, which was the point of my post, to help you understand.

And yes, I do have recordings of me rapping. Here is the most recent one:

https://soundcloud.com/the_act/opening-up-850-words-by-the

You have no idea much work I put into that one song.

@vaeternus

frogdog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#211  Edited By frogdog

Is somebody actually using american idol as standard of good singing? LMAFO I hope the thread maker knows that the british version of american idol (X-factor) is same palace where One direction came from.

The_Act

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I am just so annoyed by how you think over-simplifying rap as a genre makes you right.

MideonNViscera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're different skills. The hardest part of rapping is coming up with it in the first place, where any idiot seems able to write a pop song, but somebody needs to be a good singer to make it work.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#214  Edited By Vaeternus

@ The_Act, And you have no idea what I do either The_Act, so take your own advice and don't be ignorant and assume. Yeah? Good ;) BTW, my reading comprehension skills are fine. Since your new here, you may want to know bumping topics to argue or trolling aren't allowed. I understand rap full well, perhaps you don't understand the point of the topic. Notice, everyone else is posting/answering the topic as oppose to bumping to flame someone for difference in opinion.

And I never said "I think over simplifying rap as a genre means I'm right" now who lacks reading comprehension skills? When did I say this? I said majority happens to feel that "singing is harder than rapping is in general" Obviously BOTH are harder, but if you read the title of the O.P. I clearly ASK everyone if they feel rapping is as difficult as singing....meaning I'm asking for others opinions.

As far as I'm concerned, I have made music via my korg, I can't sing worth a lick and I have rapped for comedy purposes(in various voices) which btw also requires skill with your vocal cords. That is my main thing, I'm not a singer nor rapper but voice actor, very much into voice acting and doing various voices. Every voice except one you heard during that skit was me.

frogdog, yes I'm well aware. I know a friend near me who went on one of the shows ;) Also notice I said singing competitions as well, not just AI. AI, X-factor etc are just more widely known. Obviously, they're not the only way to break into the music industry. One of my best friend's has a sister(both of whom I went to school with) her dream is to become a singer, has her own studio with her BF and independent label.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They're different skills. The hardest part of rapping is coming up with it in the first place, where any idiot seems able to write a pop song, but somebody needs to be a good singer to make it work.

Yeah I hear ya, I mean this is why I think someone like Madonna, Celion Dion, Beatles actual talented singers are so hard to do compared to say ohh Justin Beiber? I mean he's a prime example of someone who got famous due to connections, not talent. Rapping just progressively went downhill since the 80s and 90's. I have a close friend who LOVE rap, always telling me this. Saying how eminem saved the rapping industry for a while there. I don't listen to him, but he's a huge fan of him let's just say.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

i personally belive rapping is harder. Yes, Anyone can rap. but are they good.Having a Singing voice is soemthign your born with

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's exactly it, singing you have to be BORN with the talent lol. Rapping you can learn at least.

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's exactly it, singing you have to be BORN with the talent lol. Rapping you can learn at least.

Loading Video...

If you think any talentless clown can just come up with something like this then idk if there's anything i can say to convince you otherwise.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#219 rogueshadow  Moderator

No.

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yes.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#221  Edited By Vaeternus

@brokenspear: I don't recall saying talentless clown, just that rapping is easier to learn then singing. but I will say this, trying to sing any of these songs well>>>>>any rap song.

You think this is easy?

Loading Video...

Loading Video...

or this?

Loading Video...

TotalBalance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By TotalBalance

Excluding the portion of writing songs/raps since that's the skill of coming up with music, not vocalizing it. I would have to say at the highest level the act of singing is more difficult by a decent margin than rapping. Also the whole "being good at singing is just something you are born with" is ridiculous, the best singers spend enormous amounts of time practicing their singing to ensure they are pitch perfect, while its true that most singers are born with good voices it takes a lot of training for the best of the best to get as good as they are.

Both forms of musical vocalization require you to be able to maintain a good flow and rhythm, the differentiating factor in my opinion is that there is a far greater range of pitch necessary to be a top level singer. I mean do you think Thurl Ravenscraft ( despite having a naturally low voice) could just sing these low notes with such clarity, not likely, he probably put in a lot of work to be able to hit those notes so well.

Loading Video...

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm saying you have to have the TALENT to do so, sure anyone can train or improve in anything but you can't honestly tell me you go from not singing to singing magically one day without having that talent already you in. People forget about the talent part in this topic....

It's like people think well, none of us play baseball or football we can play it...just not professionally. Why? Because we're not talented enough. Most rappers suck at first before getting good at it, singers while that may be partially true also have to be born with the talent. The voice, the vocal ability which btw is just as skillful as writing something. Writing music, lyrics, making the music and singing it? While that's rare and most musicians have help is incredibly hard.

Redmonkeyssj4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Free styling is a lot more harder than singing. But singing, you either have it or you don't.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

well rapping involves ryming and not everybody can do it so yea i think it is on par just like any other form of music. people have to be wired in order to have the talent they have

Avatar image for deactivated-627010180bd2d
deactivated-627010180bd2d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Freestyle is an art.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#227  Edited By TazzMission

he raps 600 words per minute and made the guiness book of world records. a fellow chicago fella twista

if you think this guy isnt talented i want the drugs your doing

Loading Video...

aslo cassidy from P.A

dude go's in

Loading Video...

papoose who rapped to each letter of the alphabet front and backwards

Loading Video...

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Noithing is difficult. Only in you mind, they are.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By TazzMission

@nefarious said:

Noithing is difficult. Only in you mind, they are.

well honestly i have an issue. i can story board everything for a movie or videogame in my head but i for some reason cant write it onto paper. its like some writers block stuff and drives me nuts

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tazzmission: that guy should be more famous then jay z lol.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are less successful rappers than there are successful singers. How is that?

Honestly, I think they're both equally difficult. I said it once already on this thread.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first sentence, I'd say cause singing is a bit tougher to break into overall. There's a lot of decent singers out there I've seen personally local bands, restaurant singers etc who have a great voice but obviously people think they're not good enough to bank it professionally which is a shame. It's one industry I'd NEVER try going into.

If someone forced me into it however, I'd go for being a DJ and/or rapper though since there's no way in hell I'm singing lol

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There are less successful rappers than there are successful singers. How is that?

Honestly, I think they're both equally difficult. I said it once already on this thread.

problem today is rap/hipohp is so commercial now they turned it into a gimmick. i mean remember that soulja boy tell em garbage? cmon now.

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#234  Edited By MonsterStomp

@tazzmission: Soulja Boy doesn't rap. More or less just hip hop.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hes garabge and a fad. he is not even hiphop. kind of funny how his career died after that spat with ice t in 2009...............

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:

hes garabge and a fad. he is not even hiphop. kind of funny how his career died after that spat with ice t in 2009...............

I just can't accept singing being more difficult than rapping.

You can't possibly point out Lil Wayne or Soulja Boy without thinking about Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus or Selena Gomez. Visa Versa.

TazzMission

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By TazzMission

@tazzmission said:

@monsterstomp said:

You can't possibly point out Lil Wayne or Soulja Boy without thinking about Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus or Selena Gomez. Visa Versa.

uh i never said singing is better than rapping..... i think your looking at the wrong guy dude. also lil wayne is trash if you want a real rapper go listen to some nas rakim method man red man hell the whole wu-tang clan

MonsterStomp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@monsterstomp said:

@tazzmission said:

@monsterstomp said:

uh i never said singing is better than rapping..... i think your looking at the wrong guy dude. also lil wayne is trash if you want a real rapper go listen to some nas rakim method man red man hell the whole wu-tang clan

I was just sayin'

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Imo guys like beiber and lil wayne are poor examples of good music. Its not like years ago when the beatles, elvis etc now that was true talent

BrokenSpear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#240  Edited By BrokenSpear

@vaeternus:

You forgot Muddy Waters and Chuck Berry.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#241  Edited By Vaeternus

@brokenspear: Yeah, there were a lot of talented bands, musicians back then compared to now just doesn't seem to compare. Too many to name back then lol

HBKTimHBK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think rapping is more difficult, but I hold singers in higher esteem.

Xaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Singing harder to me

nobodyisemo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Rapping is much easier.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The first sentence, I'd say cause singing is a bit tougher to break into overall. There's a lot of decent singers out there I've seen personally local bands, restaurant singers etc who have a great voice but obviously people think they're not good enough to bank it professionally which is a shame. It's one industry I'd NEVER try going into.

If someone forced me into it however, I'd go for being a DJ and/or rapper though since there's no way in hell I'm singing lol

The industry isn't about talent so your argument is void.

I doubt you're a good rapper also.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#246  Edited By Vaeternus

@jnr6lil: Uhh no, if you don't know that music, acting is about talent as well as connections you don't know what you're talking about.

And again, I never said i was a professional rapper but I sure can rap decent at least before I could dream of singing.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: No it's not. Anyone can break into the acting or music industry as long as they have connections, or something that appeals to a large demographic. Talent is secondary.

Considering you are the only one that's heard you rap on this forum I can't take what you say seriously.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#248  Edited By Vaeternus

jnr6lil, Yes it is, although THESE days you may be right compared to years ago when talent was actually required. You can't tell me guys like Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Bieber, Miley etc are anywhere NEAR as talented as Beatles, Elvis etc. Still, no doubt it's harder to bank a singing job then rapping...

Connections are KEY, believe me I know people in the industry who have met stars. To sing, you NEED talent. Period. Rapping? Different story, but like I said these days if you're referring to given today's music it's more about "not what you know, but who you know" in that regard I agree but generally speaking, most people aren't even remotely looked at unless you have singing talent. I know a friend personally as I said who's involved in the industry, she has a great voice but not that big on connections. Her and her BF have an independent label but are obviously always trying to get noticed.

I think you misunderstood me, as I said in the past. I DONT rap nor sing professionally, but if someone makes me or asks me or pays me to do one or the other? It's not going to be singing, I'll tell ya that much. With practice I'm positive I can rap on a decent level at least. Considering you think rapping is harder then singing I can't take you seriously.

Jnr6Lil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vaeternus: Jay-Z & Lil Wayne are Hip-Hop legends and have released classic albums in their respective genre. So yes I would say they are just as talented.

To sing you can get famous with autotune. With rapping, you need talent to, if you want to be a good rapper.

But you can't. You haven't shown any proof you're a decent level rapper.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#250  Edited By Vaeternus

Jay-Z maybe, but lil wayne? lol he sucks...I've heard actual rap fanatics mock the guy compared to OG rappers of the 80's and 90's. For rap enthusiasts to say that tells ya something. If anything Eminem has both of them beat...

Singing you need talent besides autotune, if you have a utterly horrible voice you're not making it anywhere...

You need talent for singing. Rapping can be learned as many, many people have stated in this topic.

I can and I have, again A. I never claimed to do either professionally nor have you proved to be an expert rapper.

That's not what this topic is about anyway, it's asking people what they think. This is like the 3rd time you've bumped this topic for the sake of arguing so it seems....