Do you consider Rapping on par or as difficult as Singing?

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Vaeternus

Do you guys consider Rapping on par or as difficult to do as Singing is?

Which is harder?

BTW, I had a poll which has more people felt Singing was harder then Rapping overall by a 20% margin but for some reason the poll was removed...

But discuss..

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Vaeternus

Yeah lol just forget about E and F. I guess I forgot to eliminate them.

But seriously, since I noticed there's a few music threads. I figured I'd ask something I've been wondering about for a while now.

Since it is very debatable I think.

Do you guys/girls believe rapping is as hard to do as singing is concerning music? Do you think it takes as much talent to rap as it does to sing?

Discuss.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Aiden Cross

Just my two cents (and i don't know much about rap i admit). I think freestyle rapping is just as difficult as singing. But if there are already lyrics present for the rapper and he knows them, i'm gonna say singing is much more difficult since it's more technical. Holding notes, vibrating your voice etc etc.

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Vortex13

I think singing is harder but I don't think rapping is just rhyming to beats, it's harder than that and definitely takes a degree of skill. But to me singing is harder for the reasons said.

Avatar image for shamelesslysupportinaznballers
Shamelesslysupportinaznballers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's like retelling a great joke that's written down on paper. The joke may be funny but not everyone will be able to make it funny. You can't just read a joke and expect a laugh.

Same with rapping, it looks easy but it's not. Sure there are people who train their entire lives to be a singer but there are rappers who do the same. At the same time there are rappers who just fake it just like there are singers out there who do the same.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#6  Edited By Gambit1024

I think singing is just something you're born with. Like any other art, it's something that you either can do or something you can't do. Sure, as with any other skill, practice makes perfect, but at the end of the day, singing is a talent that you either have or you don't have.

Rapping, in my opinion, is something that doesn't come as natural. It takes some skill to just spit out a rhyme that makes absolute sense, especially on the spot.

Therefore, I think rapping is more difficult, but both skills are still highly respectable.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By PowerHerc

Singing requires more talent.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

Not anyone can sing, but in my opinion anyone can rap with enough practice.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

Rapping takes more practice. You need to know how to rap to the rhythm and flow with the beat. Also freestyling is an extremely difficult style as you have to rhyme in sentences on the flow, and make it up as you go. Singing is difficult because some people don't have it in their genes and vocal cords to sing, while some people can.

Anyone could learn rap with lots of practice, but you can't just learn how to sing because you have to be born with it. (which means rapping is harder because singing is not hard if it is in your genes.)

jonEsherfey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By jonEsherfey

I believe they are at the same difficulty. Coming up with lyrics that are good would be difficult. Although I don't believe rapping takes any vocal talent it is hard to have good flow.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vaeternus

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

I totally agree with this. I've rapped before for comic skits a friend and I work on via a script, I memorized part of it and it wasn't that hard to go to his beat. Now, ask me to sing and that will be beyond difficult lol.

Singing takes real talent and skill, you have to alter the tone, pitch of your voice plus carry a good tune. It's not easy. Rapping? Is really just rhyming to a beat and memorization which also goes for singers

TERMINATORXX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TERMINATORXX

I'd say it can be just as hard, I mean people can only rap if thats their style, but for me, Im more of a rock and country fan, but I can't sing worth a crap period..lol it all depends on the person though, some people are made for it and some people arent.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Vaeternus said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

I totally agree with this. I've rapped before for comic skits a friend and I work on via a script, I memorized part of it and it wasn't that hard to go to his beat. Now, ask me to sing and that will be beyond difficult lol.

Singing takes real talent and skill, you have to alter the tone, pitch of your voice plus carry a good tune. It's not easy. Rapping? Is really just rhyming to a beat and memorization which also goes for singers

Exactly. It's like Maybelline, except shes born with it.

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Vaeternus

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Vaeternus said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

lol Maybelline. Come to think of it, I'd think rapping and beat boxing is more comparable lol.

Nelomaxwell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Nelomaxwell
@Vaeternus said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Vaeternus said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

lol Maybelline. Come to think of it, I'd think rapping and beat boxing is more comparable lol.

Aight give me a quick 16 bard right now off the dome.
danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By danhimself

I went with E

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Vaeternus said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Vaeternus said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

So you're saying people are born with the knowledge to perform a16 bard off the top of their head?

I'm not saying its not a skill, i'm just saying it can be accomplished by anyone if they put the effort into it, whereas singing is a talent that one can't simply have or obtain, they must be born with the skill. I can't even pass Spanish and you want me to cyber rap for you...

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

This, hell even Bill Gates can rap. 

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cattlebattle

you can do anything with enough practice and dedication........true story

I imagine they would be equally difficult, some people are born with natural singing ability, so I imagine rhyming would be harder for a newbie

Romulus9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Romulus9000

I sing and have been singing since I was a child. I do musical theater and have been in a band or two. But I can not rap. I sound silly doing it.

I don't know if one is harder than the other, but they both definitely take talent. If everyone could sing then we would all be famous, and if everyone could rap then we would all be on the radio.

And for the record yes rhyming to a beat is extremely easy to do, but that isn't what rapping is. Some people can hold a note but sound boring or terrible when they try an entire song. If you simplify rapping into just rhyming to a beat then you obviously don't listen to a lot of hip hop. Which is ok to each their own, but it's more than that.

rdskns4eva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By rdskns4eva

Singing is more difficult, but its not as difficult as freestyle or battle rapping. You need great presence, and an extensive vocabulary to be a decent freestyle rapper. Vocabulary is a must or else you sound like you are repeating yourself....Freestyle>>Singing>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rapping

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#23  Edited By Dreadmaster
@danhimself said:

I went with E

Same
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#24  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Rapping isn't a talent, but most rappers write their own songs and that's the talent.

Avatar image for vercingetorixthegreat
VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The best rapper ever is nothing compared too

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Freddie Mercury is wack and so is Vader.

Avatar image for vercingetorixthegreat
VercingetorixTheGreat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Vance Astro: wack in a good way?

JohnnyGat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By JohnnyGat

@The Stegman said:

This, hell even Bill Gates can rap.

Hell man even Ubuntu can rap.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#29  Edited By danhimself

@dreadmaster said:

@danhimself said:

I went with E

Same

It was a hard decision and I had to think about it for a while but I feel like I made the right choice

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@VercingetorixTheGreat said:

@Vance Astro: wack in a good way?

That adjective is never positive.
ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ssejllenrad

Rapping and singing ain't hard. Rapping and singing well is hard.

Just ask this guy.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@ssejllenrad said:

Rapping and singing ain't hard. Rapping and singing well is hard.

Just ask this guy.

CRUSHIN' IT!

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By ssejllenrad

What people don't realize is that even if it seems easier to rap than "sing", creating the lyrics to some beat is the hard part, maybe even harder than composing a "song". Rock bands and the likes are good cause they compose their own music. Some pop "singers" don't get my respect cause even if they're relatively good in singing, they didn't compose their own songs. And if they do, it sucks!

kmiller9959

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By kmiller9959

Singing is much, much more difficult. You need to be able to control the tone of the note which is a skill based off of many other more basic skills like tone perception and things of that nature. Basically all a rapper has to do is just be able to maintain 4/4 timing for 3 minutes.

All you ever hear rappers talk about concerning music theory is bars (measures). Scales, modes, octaves, tones, these are things that singers (and musicians in general) talk about. There is so much more involved in singing that it's insulting to a skilled singer to even compare the two.

Dreadmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35  Edited By Dreadmaster
@Vance Astro said:
Freddie Mercury is wack and so is Vader.
O_O I'd hate to know what you do like... >_>
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@dreadmaster said:
O_O I'd hate to know what you do like... >_>
Not, Freddie Mercury.
Avatar image for death_certificate
Death Certificate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Basic rapping =/= good rapping

Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Vaeternus

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Vaeternus said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Vaeternus said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

So you're saying people are born with the knowledge to perform a16 bard off the top of their head?

I'm not saying its not a skill, i'm just saying it can be accomplished by anyone if they put the effort into it, whereas singing is a talent that one can't simply have or obtain, they must be born with the skill. I can't even pass Spanish and you want me to cyber rap for you...

Exactly lol, although since he asked I did make a comedy video with a friend where I'm the main voice actor(it's my dream job) and I had to rap in one part with three different voices, that took a little practice but was nothing compared to when I had to sing in school...omg. I lipsynced half the time. Nuff said lol

So, Neomaxwell if you wish I can link you to that video. I mean I'm not saying I'm Eminem or anything but rapping isn't that hard with some practice. Singing? pfftt yeah, that's a talent you need to be BORN with. Period

JohnnyWalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By JohnnyWalker

vanila ice does it. so any retard can do it.

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator
@JohnnyWalker said:

vanila ice does it. so any retard can do it.

Vanilla Ice DID IT, and he was terrible at it.
Vaeternus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Vaeternus

Ehh lol Vanilla Ice was blah, but hey the TMNT song rocked. I'd rather listen to that over anything from Eminem. Once he made fun of Christopher Reeve I lost all respect for the guy.

@Romulus9000 said:

I sing and have been singing since I was a child. I do musical theater and have been in a band or two. But I can not rap. I sound silly doing it.

I don't know if one is harder than the other, but they both definitely take talent. If everyone could sing then we would all be famous, and if everyone could rap then we would all be on the radio.

And for the record yes rhyming to a beat is extremely easy to do, but that isn't what rapping is. Some people can hold a note but sound boring or terrible when they try an entire song. If you simplify rapping into just rhyming to a beat then you obviously don't listen to a lot of hip hop. Which is ok to each their own, but it's more than that.

Just want to point out, that you can rap without a beat but just have to be in sync with the beat/song. I can't sing for crap but I can rap a little bit if I tried. Plus, being as how I'm very familiar with voice acting and voice over, rapping doesn't mean you'd be on the radio. You have to have a nice speaking voice and speak well to be on radio, you don't really rap on the radio lol.

I'm assuming you mean radio music stations? Pretty much both are on music stations, just different channels/stations.

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#42  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@Vaeternus:

I'd rather listen to that over anything from Eminem

LOL what?

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Bluefox170

Anyone who puts "A" I'd love to see you try this..

Bluefox170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Bluefox170

Anyone who put "A" I'd love to see you try this..

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#45  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

Rapping is more difficult IMO.

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

@Vaeternus said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Nelomaxwell said:

@Vaeternus said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

@Vaeternus said:

@NlGHTCRAWLER said:

Exactly lol, although since he asked I did make a comedy video with a friend where I'm the main voice actor(it's my dream job) and I had to rap in one part with three different voices, that took a little practice but was nothing compared to when I had to sing in school...omg. I lipsynced half the time. Nuff said lol

So, Neomaxwell if you wish I can link you to that video. I mean I'm not saying I'm Eminem or anything but rapping isn't that hard with some practice. Singing? pfftt yeah, that's a talent you need to be BORN with. Period

Link or didn't happen!

cyberninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 11

#47  Edited By cyberninja

Rap is crap. 

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points