Do you care if others believe what you do?

Avatar image for mistresssobeautiful
mistresssobeautiful

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Does it matter to you?

One thing i've always distrusted are religions that actively go around trying to convert/recruit people.

The nock on doors wont just go away types that want to give you pamphlets.

Are you in any way associated with this type of activity? Is it something your religion does?

And again, do YOU personally care what others choose to believe, and seek to turn people onto your way of thinking?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

To care what other people believe, I'd have to care about people on some level.

SpitfirePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I like what I like, and I believe what I believe. What really bothers me are the people who believe what I believe and twist it to fit their hateful agenda. Westboro Baptist Church are Christian, but they make me want to vigorously beat my head against a wall.

ariesxmasters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By ariesxmasters

Personally, Mistress, the answer is no. I don't want to change the way anyone thinks, nor should I try. I am strongly against trying to force my beliefs or way of thinking on anyone, just simply because the fact that everyone is different and everyone interprets everything differently, and I can respect that.

I hate those type of people who are so narrow an close minded you can't tell them anything, because they think they're always right, and for some reason cannot respect other people point of view, and if you don't think the way they think then they say you're stupid and stuff like that. Those are the type of people I cannot stand.

I don't trust any of those "jehovah witness's" or people like them, and whenever they come knocking on my door I tell them I have no interest in there practice and can they from now on skip my door, because I don't want any part of that.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mandarinestro

As far as I know only Jehovah's Witnesses go door to door every Sunday.

No; I'm a Christian and I don’t participate in this kind of activity nor does my Church organise such events.

I never attempt to convert other people into my religion or denomination, but I am willing to answer their questions so long as I have the knowledge.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

I used to care a great deal if people agreed with me or not. My thinking was that my thinking was right, and if others thought differently, they were going to hurt themselves and others, so I should do all in my power to convince them I was right so that they could avoid the negative consequences of being wrong.

Over time, I've taken a more laid back approach. I realize that I can't make people believe what I believe nor should I try. I frequently do share my views as I debate with others, but I don't see it as me revealing the truth and someone else either accepting or rejecting it as I used to view it. Now, I see it as me both sharing my views and listening to the views of others in the hopes that we both can learn from each other. I've also come to realize that there is a lot I don't know, and though I do take a firm stand on what I think is right, I try to keep in mind that I might be wrong and the other person might be right. How can I expect anyone to consider my views if I don't sincerely consider theirs?

I used to knock on people's doors and tell them about Jesus. It was what I was taught to do when I was a kid, so I did it through my teen years, and occasionally, it did work. I know it annoys most people, but then you find someone who was looking for God, and things click. However, I grew out of this shortly after adulthood because I heard so many people talk about how annoying it was to get people banging on your doors, and I experienced it a few times myself and was annoyed, so I decided that was not the way to do things. I'll share spiritual things on my mind occasionally with people I know and am always willing to respond when someone asks my thoughts on a matter, but I don't bang on people's doors to "witness." As of a few years ago though, I did go door to door and try to get kids to come to church on a Sunday School bus route. This does work quite well and rarely annoys people because most parents are delighted to have a few hours of peace and quiet Sunday mornings with their kids at a free babysitter, and I would do this again if I became involved in another bus ministry.

I don't look down on anyone, religious or otherwise, who tries to share their views with the world, but it should be done humbly and politely, and if someone doesn't want to hear, there is no reason to press them. Still, I understand that even the pushy people are motivated by good intentions, so as long as they are not being belligerent, I don't condemn them.

albusan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tought this thread had to do with telling people online what type of job you have or something like that.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

As far as I know only Jehovah's Witnesses go door to door every Sunday.

No; I'm a Christian and I don’t participate in this kind of activity nor does my Church organise such events.

I never attempt to convert other people into my religion or denomination, but I am willing to answer their questions so long as I have the knowledge.

I did it, and I was Baptist. Most Baptists don't do that sort of thing, but there are some small little factions in the Baptist crowd that do. I'm not sure if Mormons go door to door, but I know they go street preaching which is similar, and I'm sure there are other denominations that do that sort of thing, but JW's are definitely the ones who are best known for it.

Darling_Luna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Nope, how else am I going to bust their chops

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be

magnablue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I believe in evidence. I believe in observation, measurement, and reasoning, confirmed by independent observers. I'll believe anything, no matter how wild and ridiculous, if there is evidence for it. The wilder and more ridiculous something is, however, the firmer and more solid the evidence will have to be

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@batwatch: I see. I wasn't raised in a Western country so I have little knowledge on Fundamentalist denominations because there are very few of them in Asia.

nefarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Not, really.

Crom-Cruach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I care if it affects my life and the lives of others. That's it.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Nah.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74
deactivated-5e3b7f04aeb74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Live and let live. If you believe in some of the stuff I do, then great. We have stuff in common. If not, then oh well. I will not push my beliefs on you. But I do like debates sometimes. Except with religion, I don't think there is a point and I'm not going to argue or try persuade you that mine is better or some crap.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No, I don't care if people have the same beliefs/disbeliefs as I do, I keep that stuff to myself anyway.

Avatar image for spideyivydaredevilfan26
SpideyIvyDaredevilFan26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 41

No, with some exceptions;

1) Can't be racist

2) Can't be sexist

3) Can't be bigoted

4) Can't like Detective Comics #823

5) Don't try and control my life

NotATreeABush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hail Satan

regiebravo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have this random pimple on my forehead and its annoying.