• 115 results
#1 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

Do you think there is intelligent life out there? Do you think Earth has been visited in the past or even recently? Do you think ufos are alien aircraft/spaceships? Or are they highly advanced government military planes that are kept secret? What is your theory/opinion on their overall existence and anything else?

#2 Posted by wildvine (10329 posts) - - Show Bio

Nope

#3 Edited by Pyrogram (40931 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes they exist. Saying otherwise is ignorant. When you think every star you see probably has planets revolving round it and alone in our milky way we possibly have over 400/500 billion stars. That's nearly impossible odds to say aliens/life does not exist.

Think about it -

If each star has 9 planets revolving round it like ours. That's nine times 500 billion chances of life.

#4 Posted by PeppeyHare (4310 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

Yes they exist. Saying otherwise is ignorant. When you think every star you see probably has planets revolving round it and alone in our milky way we possibly have over 400/500 billion stars. That's nearly impossible odds to say aliens/life does not exist.

Think about it -

If each star has 9 planets revolving round it like ours. That's Nine times 500 billion chances of life.

#5 Edited by CheeseSticks (2533 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

Think about it -

If each star has 9 planets revolving round it like ours. That's Nine times 500 billion chances of life.

#6 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: Yeah I totally agree with you. Do you think they've been to Earth?

#7 Posted by Pyrogram (40931 posts) - - Show Bio
#8 Posted by cattlebattle (12989 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

Think about it -

If each star has 9 planets revolving round it like ours. That's nine times 500 billion chances of life.

This

#9 Edited by Immortal777 (7675 posts) - - Show Bio

With the sheer size of the universe, I don't see how it's possible for anyone to think that earth has the only life forms.

#10 Posted by Bruxae (14004 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

Think about it -

Not to mention there's most likely as many if not more galaxies out there as there are stars in ours, and who knows whats past that?

#11 Edited by Pyrogram (40931 posts) - - Show Bio

@bruxae: Some some it's in the trillions lol

#12 Edited by _Braveheart_ (1852 posts) - - Show Bio

You never know. It's all I can say.

#13 Posted by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Statistically speaking its far more likely that there is life away from Earth, and they've already found it in bacterial form so technically we know for a fact that alien life does exist. That being said I don't believe in alien abduction and ufos, just because there is life out there doesn't mean that its more advanced than us. There could be worlds out there were sentient life just made it to the caveman stage, you never know Earth could be the most technologically advanced planet in the universe.

#14 Edited by Zijuun (854 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

Think about it -

Well said, I concur.

Z I J U U N

#15 Edited by Pyrogram (40931 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

@wildvine: Statistically speaking its far more likely that there is life away from Earth, and they've already found it in bacterial form so technically we know for a fact that alien life does exist. That being said I don't believe in alien abduction and ufos, just because there is life out there doesn't mean that its more advanced than us. There could be worlds out there were sentient life just made it to the caveman stage, you never know Earth could be the most technologically advanced planet in the universe.

where? I've never heard of that in my life.

#16 Posted by MaccyD (4517 posts) - - Show Bio

@immortal777 said:

With the sheer size of the universe, I don't see how it's possible for anyone to think that earth has the only life forms.

Yep, bit arrogant of us :P

#17 Edited by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: They found fossilized bacteria in rocks collected by Martian rovers.

#18 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (20387 posts) - - Show Bio

It would be idiotic to not think there is life beyond our planet. If you do believe that there is life beyond our planet, then it is alien.

#19 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18415 posts) - - Show Bio
@silkyballfro94 said:

Do you think there is intelligent life out there?

Do you think Earth has been visited in the past or even recently?

Do you think ufos are alien aircraft/spaceships?

Or are they highly advanced government military planes that are kept secret?

What is your theory/opinion on their overall existence and anything else?

1. Yes
  2. Don't know - its possible
  3. Unlikely
  4. Unlikely
  5. Aliens exist. The problem is most people think of Aliens they picture little green men in space ships. They may not be green, they may not even be sentient beings. But a life form can be as simple as a strain of bacteria. Or a plant. Or an animal. Or an insect. Considering the size of the our galaxy, the fact that there are an unknown number of galaxies (likely thousands), each with billions solar systems (which in turn may have multiple planets in its orbit) and the millions of different ways a life form can exist, its idiotic to think our planet is the only one with life.
#20 Edited by Pyrogram (40931 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe: I just checked. They have not. Things resembled bacteria. We've never found bacteria. Ever.

#21 Posted by BatmanFan11 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

I think they exist. Anyone who says they don't are ignorant. I mean seriously. It's impossible for there to be only one planet in the whole universe to have life, which is Earth. The universe is so big and there's many planets. There has to be life there too.

#22 Edited by INLIFE (1600 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, they exist. Our own existence supports the fact that solar systems support life, intelligent or not. So why would 400/500 billion other stars be any different?

#23 Posted by Wolverine08 (43673 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

Think about it -

#24 Posted by Dernman (15237 posts) - - Show Bio

We exist. Stop trying to deny your Overlords.

#25 Posted by WillPayton (9554 posts) - - Show Bio

Is there life on other planets? Almost certainly yes.

Is there intelligent life on other planets? Almost certainly yes.

Now, cover your eyes if you dont like math...

Consider there are something like 100 billion galaxies in the universe. The Milky Way has around 400 billion stars. That'd be around 4 x 10^22 stars total.

Even if 1/100 of those stars has a planet suitable for life, and only 1/1,000,000 of them ever result in some self-replicating life spawning there, that means there should be:

(4 x 10^22) * (0.01) * (0.000001) = 4 x 10^14 = 400 trillion planets have or have had life in the universe

Lets also assume that where life forms it lasts 100 million years (in some form). Since the universe is around 13.8 billion years old, it means that right now there's probably around 3 trillion planets with life (400 trillion * 100 million / 13.8 billion) in the universe.

Really, no matter how you slice it, there's almost certainly life somewhere out there. The only question is really how far away is it, but the answer might be... pretty damn far. Maybe too far for us to ever see it.

#26 Edited by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet aliens exist but they aren't green with big heads and eyes. I think they would probably look just like humans.

#27 Posted by WillPayton (9554 posts) - - Show Bio

I bet aliens exist but they aren't green with big heads and eyes. I think they would probably look just like humans.

They probably look like this:

#28 Posted by superkryptonian (90 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: which is pathetic if you think about the chances of their even being life. In the words of Doc Manhattan we are as rare as oxygen becoming gold

#29 Posted by WillPayton (9554 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

@joshmightbe: I just checked. They have not. Things resembled bacteria. We've never found bacteria. Ever.

Correct, that ended up not being fossilized bacteria. There's no evidence of life ever having existed on Mars.

#30 Posted by silkyballfro94 (1829 posts) - - Show Bio

@fallschirmjager: For question 3, you put unlikely. What is your explanation of ufos then?

#31 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

If your definition of an alien is what we see in movies, then probably not, unless the directors know something we don't or are coincidentally really really good guessers.

But what I can say is that we have a ton of galaxies with an even bigger ton of stars in each. And when I say a ton, I mean a ton. It would be really hard to believe that not one of those stars would have an orbiting planet that could sustain some life in any form. So while I can't say for sure either way, I believe it's pretty likely there's at least something. But aliens that resemble humans? I don't know about that...

#32 Edited by WillPayton (9554 posts) - - Show Bio

As far as UFOs, I highly doubt any UFO sighting has ever been of an actual alien spacecraft. I dont think the Earth has ever been visited by alien life forms. That's pure fantasy.

#33 Edited by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

Are there aliens out there? Yes.

Have they visited us? Thanks to the light speed barrier, probably not.

#34 Posted by JediXMan (30939 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's likely. However, I don't think that they have the abilities to come to Earth, or if they do we don't have anything they'd want, otherwise they would have conquered us by now. Any species with the capability to travel light years through space should be capable of wiping us out. And no, I don't think that aliens would be in any way more benevolent than us. They won't be kinder, they won't be "beyond violence."

I also don't think that they will look anything like us.

#35 Edited by kriminal (649 posts) - - Show Bio

I think so. but there is no way they can come to earth, the travel is impossible. a flower on a planet millions of light years away would be an alien. there is likely a planet out there where there are at least animals

#36 Posted by WillPayton (9554 posts) - - Show Bio

@jedixman said:

I think it's likely. However, I don't think that they have the abilities to come to Earth, or if they do we don't have anything they'd want, otherwise they would have conquered us by now. Any species with the capability to travel light years through space should be capable of wiping us out. And no, I don't think that aliens would be in any way more benevolent than us. They won't be kinder, they won't be "beyond violence."

I also don't think that they will look anything like us.

They definitely wouldnt look anything like us, at least not by any natural means. Any life form that developed on an alien planet would probably not have much in common with us.

Also, any advanced civilization capable of interstellar space flight would easily be able to get any raw materials it needed in space. What we would have that they might want is a habitable planet... assuming they breath Nitrogen/Oxygen air like we do. But they certainly wouldnt come here for our water, or minerals, or any of that.

#37 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

The two most scientifically plausible methods of FTL, Space warping and wormhole formation, are both very energy intensive, you'd need to be approaching a type II level civilization to generate the needed energy to accomplish such a thing. A type II level civilization mind you, is capable of matching or exceeding the power output of a *star*. And there is some doubt as to whether it's actually possible to *reach* such lofty heights.

#38 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram: how funny would it be if there was no LIFE on the other planets, even with such odds.

#39 Edited by Fallschirmjager (18415 posts) - - Show Bio

@silkyballfro94 said:

@fallschirmjager: For question 3, you put unlikely. What is your explanation of ufos then?

Any civilization capable of inter-galactic travel (thus visiting Earth) is not stupid enough to be detected flying in our atmosphere. In fact I'd wager any civilization capable of inter-galactic travel wouldn't even need to fly into our atmosphere (and probably no where near our planet and possibly solar system) to do observe or attack us.

The popularity of Sci-Fi shows I think sort of deludes most people when it comes to that type of technology. We don't even really have plausible theories on things like FTL travel, warp speed, hyper space, etc type terms you here all the time in stuff like Star Trek, Star Wars and Stargate.

As for what people are really seeing when they see "UFO's" ...the possibilities are numerous.

#40 Posted by Guardian_of_Gravity (2979 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Given that the universe is likely infinite (it is at the very least, much, much larger than the observable portion which is already huge), nothing short of fiat from some higher power would make that possible.

#41 Posted by TheAcidSkull (18032 posts) - - Show Bio

@theacidskull: Given that the universe is likely infinite (it is at the very least, much, much larger than the observable portion which is already huge), nothing short of fiat from some higher power would make that possible.

I know it's not possible, thats why i said "How funny would it be" :P

#42 Posted by Aronmorales (9463 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe that nothing is truly impossible, and given how little the known universe is to us compared to the unknown, I'd say there is at least some form of life out there.
Do I believe that intelligent life has visited us from afar?...To be honest I can't say that I fully trust our extraterrestrial experts and such, so therefore I'm kinda skeptical about it all. Then again, I've heard stories that're just truly amazing, and given my belief in all-potential possibilities I want to say that there is certainly something out there that we have little to no idea about.

#43 Posted by Kratesis (4266 posts) - - Show Bio

There is other life in the universe.

#44 Posted by Ostyo (8679 posts) - - Show Bio

The Mexican kind, yeah.

Space men, ha...no.

#45 Posted by Black_Claw (3009 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely there are. I just think that they probably won't even bother visiting earth anytime soon since they know that the first thing we'll probably do is claim war on them.

#46 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (11440 posts) - - Show Bio

Chances say, they have to be real, since they could have better technology that ouws, i dont see the point of they caring for people.

I mean we would be ants to them.

#47 Posted by thespideyguy (2642 posts) - - Show Bio

@pyrogram said:

Think about it -

Yep that's how I look at it.

#48 Posted by wildvine (10329 posts) - - Show Bio

I rephrase. I don't believe in the grays.

@pyrogram said:

Think about it -

That's a great argument. Tell me, how many of these stars have you seen personally?

#49 Edited by flazam (2501 posts) - - Show Bio

My Belief is they exist, But I don't think they have visited Earth yet, or that we know for sure of there existance

#50 Edited by Pyrogram (40931 posts) - - Show Bio

@wildvine: Probably a few thousand when I look into the night sky, with my own eyes without apparatus. No disputing that the stars exist, that's nonsensical. Billions exist without an argument.