#1 Posted by Prince_RehteStroC (137 posts) - - Show Bio

#2 Posted by Prince_RehteStroC (137 posts) - - Show Bio

Article 25(a) of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (1948), a founding U.N. document signed by the United States, says:

Everyone has the right to a standard of living adequate for the health and well-being of himself and of his family, including food, clothing, housing and medical care and necessary social services, and the right to security in the event of unemployment, sickness, disability, widowhood, old age or other lack of livelihood in circumstances beyond his control.

Do you think the U.N. is correct that housing is a human right? Or are you under the belief that housing is actually a privilege?

#3 Posted by icysloth (1305 posts) - - Show Bio

@Prince_RehteStroC: No but I feel it is until you reach an age of self sufficiency, in the US that age is 18.

#4 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@icysloth said:

@Prince_RehteStroC: No but I feel it is until you reach an age of self sufficiency, in the US that age is 18.

Why do you say 18? :]

#5 Posted by icysloth (1305 posts) - - Show Bio

@Xanni15: BEcause I am in college now mostly on loans, grants, and scholarships. Softmore and junior year I was an RA to have housing. I am speaking strickly in the developed world where I believe if you work hard you can find housing and do well for yourself.

#6 Posted by Xanni15 (6758 posts) - - Show Bio

@icysloth said:

@Xanni15: BEcause I am in college now mostly on loans, grants, and scholarships. Softmore and junior year I was an RA to have housing. I am speaking strickly in the developed world where I believe if you work hard you can find housing and do well for yourself.

Just curious. :]

#7 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

Absolutely.

#8 Posted by SuperTide (15600 posts) - - Show Bio

if they work

#9 Posted by SuperTide (15600 posts) - - Show Bio

ya lazy bums

#10 Posted by joshmightbe (24884 posts) - - Show Bio

If someone is actually working and trying their best to get by then I have no problem with the government helping out a bit with things like section 8, which I have been on before and they do actually make you pay rent its just rent that is manageable with your income. Without that help I'd have probably ended up homeless despite working 8 hours a day 5 to 6 days a week depending on my schedule. Now if it was some junkie who refuses to get a job then they can go rot for all I care.

#11 Posted by PowerHerc (83401 posts) - - Show Bio

People have a right to the pursuit of happiness and equal protection under the law.

Everything else is a matter of personal responsibility.

#12 Posted by Hawkeye446 (3939 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Absolutely.

TRUTH.

#13 Posted by lykopis (10746 posts) - - Show Bio

@Hawkeye446 said:

@lykopis said:

Absolutely.

TRUTH.

-_-

#14 Posted by Edamame (28091 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

If someone is actually working and trying their best to get by then I have no problem with the government helping out a bit with things like section 8,

I hear that there are always very long waiting lists for Section 8 housing. Is it true? I also hear that single adults have no chance at all.

#15 Posted by God_Spawn (37755 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

Absolutely.

This.

It was in the Declaration of Independence. Thomas Jefferson wrote what John Locke originally wrote differently but under the same concept, just more vague IMO.

John Locke : "Natural rights to life, liberty and property."

Thomas Jefferson: "Natural rights to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness."

#16 Posted by icysloth (1305 posts) - - Show Bio

@god_spawn: property means that you own it. I buy property, it shouldn't be given to me.

#17 Posted by KingUranus (218 posts) - - Show Bio

What do You think? I think see should be able to build our on homes too.

#18 Posted by joshmightbe (24884 posts) - - Show Bio

@Edamame: It is a long list, it was pure luck I got on it at all.

#19 Posted by Sigurd_Surturson (43 posts) - - Show Bio

I do. It doesn't have to be great housing; in fact, it should probably be the kind that motivates people to get back on their feet and find a better place to live, but it should at least provide a place to sleep that's protected from the elements.

#20 Edited by ARMIV2 (8447 posts) - - Show Bio

I think everyone ought to be able to have a shelter of sorts that offers them basic living arrangements and is comfortable. I do believe owning a bigger, more extravagant living space is a privilege, but one that can be worked for.

#21 Posted by Aiden Cross (15562 posts) - - Show Bio

Without a doubt.

#22 Posted by ComicMan24 (147085 posts) - - Show Bio

Of course they do.