• 124 results
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
#1 Edited by KingOfAsh (3521 posts) - - Show Bio

Most people believe that live exists somewhere out there in the Universe other than Earth, but what about other worlds in this Solar System alone? People often look for Earthlike conditions, but alien life could resemble anything. Not to mention that life can survive and thrive in the most extreme places on Earth, even without light or heat. Mars and Jupiters Europa are said to be most likely to have life on them, and Venus is believed to once have had oceans. Theres talk of possible floating lifeforms in the gas planets and Venus's upper atmosphere. I think it's possible, but I'm not expecting much in the form of sentient life like us. But I may yet be surprised...

#2 Posted by Bruxae (12642 posts) - - Show Bio

With the exception of a few bakteria, no.

That said I do believe there bigger life out there, but youll have to go further then the solar system.

#3 Posted by SC (12709 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe the Earth rotates the Sun, but I "only" consider and think its highly likely and probable that life exists elsewhere. As far as life in our solar system? Depends what you mean by life.

Moderator
#4 Edited by Pyrogram (35143 posts) - - Show Bio

You would actually be ignorant to think otherwise, Of-course life exists elsewhere. One theory how how life came to earth was on an asteroid anyways. The universe is so big, it is nigh impossible for life not to exist.

#5 Posted by Captain_Yesterday (807 posts) - - Show Bio

Some sort of life in our solar system? Yes.

Intelligent, sentient life in our solar system? Probably not, but definitively outside our solar system.

#6 Edited by SpideyPresence (1906 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt there are any sentient living life forms in our Solar System but I may be proven wrong, but of course there are multiple life forms elsewhere. Our universe is big enough, bring in M-theory and multiple universes and it's probable to have billions to trillions of life forms in existence.

#7 Posted by Matchstick (565 posts) - - Show Bio

@Captain_Yesterday said:

Some sort of life in our solar system? Yes.

Intelligent, sentient life in our solar system? Probably not, but definitively outside our solar system.

This.

#8 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

On a unicellular level? Most likely.

Maybe there are complex organisms. We just have to find them. If humans survive long enough we will eventually have answers to these questions. Our solar system may be small on a cosmic level of existence but relative to us it is gigantic.

#9 Posted by salamatsabi (216 posts) - - Show Bio

Yup...but it could be way different then the life forms we expected. Who knows maybe there are Beyonder like beings on other planets

#10 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32846 posts) - - Show Bio

Yea I definitely think there is

#11 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

The Grey ! hides

#12 Posted by KingOfAsh (3521 posts) - - Show Bio

Pehaps there are more complex creatures underground or even deep in the gas planets. Possibly in the icy layers of Europa Maybe they're sentient like us. Perhaps life once florsihed on Mars and Venus, maybe they even had civilisations (perhaps reminents of those civilisations escaped the Solar System forever or to return one day). Maybe some strange life even lives in the Sun itself. There are so many questions. I guess we'll have to stick to Science Fiction for a while longer...

#13 Posted by scorpion2501 (5171 posts) - - Show Bio

@KingOfAsh: Mars probably had intelligent life on it a few million years ago.

But I don't think it was evolved enough to leave our solar system.

So the life on mars probably died with the planet.

Also i'm pretty sure that there isn't any life in de sun XD

#14 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4613 posts) - - Show Bio

You see all those stars you see every night, yeah, they're suns. So you mean to tell me that out of all those suns out there, we happen to be the only planet revolving around a sun with life? I refuse to believe that.

"Ancient Ways of Sumerians... this is my Annunaki Flow."

(+)

#15 Posted by KingOfAsh (3521 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yung ANcient One:I was actually just refering to our solar system

#16 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17594 posts) - - Show Bio

In our solar system? No well not life as in another sentient and intelligent species.

As for outside our solar system? Who knows we unfortunately have no way of knowing for certain.I do think it is probable that life could exist outside of our solar system

#17 Posted by GhostRider2 (3274 posts) - - Show Bio

There is no life, only us.

#18 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4613 posts) - - Show Bio

In our solar system... um... I think it's fun to believe there is, but I don't know. The possibility that there was Life here before us is entertaining.

"This is my annunaki flow... this is my annunaki flow... **** I'm talking bout pineal gland ancient ways of summerian, aint nothing wrong with a righteous man"- Soul Brother # 1+1

(+)

#19 Posted by niBBit (718 posts) - - Show Bio

Perhaps they live in higher dimensions

#20 Posted by Pyrogram (35143 posts) - - Show Bio

@niBBit said:

Perhaps they live in higher dimensions

The hell does that mean xD

#21 Posted by kuonphobos (4882 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#22 Posted by Nefarious (18764 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#23 Posted by SpidermanWins (3980 posts) - - Show Bio

Probably small, unicellular life, but not intelligent life no

#24 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19937 posts) - - Show Bio

There is already microscopic life on other planets.

@Pyrogram said:

@niBBit said:

Perhaps they live in higher dimensions

The hell does that mean xD

Live in different dimensions, or a different plane.

#25 Posted by Pyrogram (35143 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

There is already microscopic life on other planets.

@Pyrogram said:

@niBBit said:

Perhaps they live in higher dimensions

The hell does that mean xD

Live in different dimensions, or a different plane.

Since when has microscopic life been detected?

#26 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19937 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

There is already microscopic life on other planets.

@Pyrogram said:

@niBBit said:

Perhaps they live in higher dimensions

The hell does that mean xD

Live in different dimensions, or a different plane.

Since when has microscopic life been detected?

http://www.businessinsider.com/mars-rover-contaminated-with-earth-bacteria-2012-9

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6660045/Bacteria-from-Mars-found-inside-ancient-meteorite.html

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2009/11/30/fossilized-bacteria-point-life-mars/

#27 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (17594 posts) - - Show Bio

@kuonphobos said:

No.

@Nefarious said:

No.

Really? You dismiss it like that.Is it not a little ignorant?

Or do you just mean in this solar system? Nearly jumped the gun a bit there.

#28 Posted by kuonphobos (4882 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@kuonphobos said:

No.

@Nefarious said:

No.

Really? You dismiss it like that.Is it not a little ignorant?

No.

Don't assume because you disagree with me that I haven't put any thought or consideration into it.

#29 Posted by Nefarious (18764 posts) - - Show Bio
@mrdecepticonleader said:

@kuonphobos said:

No.

@Nefarious said:

No.

Really? You dismiss it like that.Is it not a little ignorant?

Or do you just mean in this solar system? Nearly jumped the gun a bit there.

I wanted to say more but the words were not coming to me. I mean, I want to believe that there is more life out there but.....I am on the fence.
#30 Posted by Pyrogram (35143 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@Pyrogram said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

There is already microscopic life on other planets.

@Pyrogram said:

@niBBit said:

Perhaps they live in higher dimensions

The hell does that mean xD

Live in different dimensions, or a different plane.

Since when has microscopic life been detected?

http://www.businessinsider.com/mars-rover-contaminated-with-earth-bacteria-2012-9

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6660045/Bacteria-from-Mars-found-inside-ancient-meteorite.html

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2009/11/30/fossilized-bacteria-point-life-mars/

woah.

You cannot read. ^_^

The evidence is saying in the past the bacteria may have come from earth and not mars, or from another planet, all theory's - No living bacteria has ever been found.

#31 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19937 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@Pyrogram said:

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

There is already microscopic life on other planets.

@Pyrogram said:

@niBBit said:

Perhaps they live in higher dimensions

The hell does that mean xD

Live in different dimensions, or a different plane.

Since when has microscopic life been detected?

http://www.businessinsider.com/mars-rover-contaminated-with-earth-bacteria-2012-9

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/science-news/6660045/Bacteria-from-Mars-found-inside-ancient-meteorite.html

http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2009/11/30/fossilized-bacteria-point-life-mars/

woah.

You cannot read. ^_^

The evidence is saying in the past the bacteria may have come from earth and not mars, or from another planet, all theory's - No living bacteria has ever been found.

Actually the earth bacteria is now on Mars, so technically it counts as life on another planet.

Do you really think I would post a link that says "Mars Rover contaminated with Earth Bacteria 2012", and not read it?

#32 Posted by Pyrogram (35143 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek: Dos it really count as other life it it come from eatth?

#33 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19937 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram: I'm assuming so since I view it as colonization.

#34 Posted by Pyrogram (35143 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@Pyrogram: I'm assuming so since I view it as colonization.

If you see a few bacteria as that ok...It does to millions of years of evolution to do anything though..That is if the bacteria will survive.

#35 Posted by YourNeighborhoodComicGeek (19937 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram: True, but its life nonetheless.

#36 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (17594 posts) - - Show Bio

@kuonphobos said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@kuonphobos said:

No.

@Nefarious said:

No.

Really? You dismiss it like that.Is it not a little ignorant?

No.

Don't assume because you disagree with me that I haven't put any thought or consideration into it.

I never assumed such but to say for certain there is no other life out there in this ridiculously massive universe of ours just seems illogical.

So why do you think as such then?

@Nefarious said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@kuonphobos said:

No.

@Nefarious said:

No.

Really? You dismiss it like that.Is it not a little ignorant?

Or do you just mean in this solar system? Nearly jumped the gun a bit there.

I wanted to say more but the words were not coming to me. I mean, I want to believe that there is more life out there but.....I am on the fence.

Fair enough we cant say for certain either way because we simply don't know

#37 Posted by Pyrogram (35143 posts) - - Show Bio

@YourNeighborhoodComicGeek said:

@Pyrogram: True, but its life nonetheless.

Your not wrong so >.> cannot argue.

#38 Posted by kuonphobos (4882 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@kuonphobos said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@kuonphobos said:

No.

@Nefarious said:

No.

Really? You dismiss it like that.Is it not a little ignorant?

No.

Don't assume because you disagree with me that I haven't put any thought or consideration into it.

I never assumed such but to say for certain there is no other life out there in this ridiculously massive universe of ours just seems illogical.

I think it is somewhat interesting that when I make the very similar claim regarding the existence of the supernatural (ie appeal to the vastness of reality and the limitations of human perception) you don't exibit the same open mindedness.

So why do you think as such then?

One one hand I weigh the vastness of space which becomes at some point theoretical on the other I weigh the vastness of the variables which led to the creation/appearance of life. For me the uniqueness of variables outweigh the theoretical concepts of the vastness of space. I guess it comes down to probabilities.

Also, I would not be totally honest if I didn't admit that my personal understanding of the existence of God and the uniquness of His creation wasn't a factor. But I am trying to set that aside in an attempt to hold my position on as purely a "scientific" argument as possible.

#39 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32846 posts) - - Show Bio
@kuonphobos said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@kuonphobos said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@kuonphobos said:

No.

@Nefarious said:

No.

Really? You dismiss it like that.Is it not a little ignorant?

No.

Don't assume because you disagree with me that I haven't put any thought or consideration into it.

I never assumed such but to say for certain there is no other life out there in this ridiculously massive universe of ours just seems illogical.

I think it is somewhat interesting that when I make the very similar claim regarding the existence of the supernatural (ie appeal to the vastness of reality and the limitations of human perception) you don't exibit the same open mindedness.

So why do you think as such then?

One one hand I weigh the vastness of space which becomes at some point theoretical on the other I weigh the vastness of the variables which led to the creation/appearance of life. For me the uniqueness of variables outweigh the theoretical concepts of the vastness of space. I guess it comes down to probabilities.

Also, I would not be totally honest if I didn't admit that my personal understanding of the existence of God and the uniquness of His creation wasn't a factor. But I am trying to set that aside in an attempt to hold my position on as purely a "scientific" argument as possible.

the difference between the supernatural/extraterrestrial is that it's 100% confirmed that life eg. bacteria can survive in space and on other planets yet there has never been any substantial proof of anything supernatural.  
#40 Posted by Jezer (3096 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram said:

You would actually be ignorant to think otherwise, Of-course life exists elsewhere. One theory how how life came to earth was on an asteroid anyways. The universe is so big, it is nigh impossible for life not to exist.

That feeling when you comment before reading the OP.

#41 Edited by Pyrogram (35143 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jezer said:

@Pyrogram said:

You would actually be ignorant to think otherwise, Of-course life exists elsewhere. One theory how how life came to earth was on an asteroid anyways. The universe is so big, it is nigh impossible for life not to exist.

That feeling when you comment before reading the OP.

No I did. I was just giving my opinion about the matter in general.

#42 Posted by Jezer (3096 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram said:

@Jezer said:

@Pyrogram said:

You would actually be ignorant to think otherwise, Of-course life exists elsewhere. One theory how how life came to earth was on an asteroid anyways. The universe is so big, it is nigh impossible for life not to exist.

That feeling when you comment before reading the OP.

No I did. I was just giving my opinion about the matter in general.

So, instead of addressing this unique take on the question of life elsewhere,

you opt instead to give out your crucially important opinion....which happens to be no different than what is commonly held by any and everyone who realizes how big the universe is?....Alright.

#43 Posted by Pyrogram (35143 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jezer said:

@Pyrogram said:

@Jezer said:

@Pyrogram said:

You would actually be ignorant to think otherwise, Of-course life exists elsewhere. One theory how how life came to earth was on an asteroid anyways. The universe is so big, it is nigh impossible for life not to exist.

That feeling when you comment before reading the OP.

No I did. I was just giving my opinion about the matter in general.

So, instead of addressing this unique take on the question of life elsewhere,

you opt instead to give out your crucially important opinion....which happens to be no different than what is commonly held by any and everyone who realizes how big the universe is?....Alright.

Yes. Actually. And you thought to randomly create an argument for no reason?...Alright.

#44 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32846 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jezer said:

@Pyrogram said:

@Jezer said:

@Pyrogram said:

You would actually be ignorant to think otherwise, Of-course life exists elsewhere. One theory how how life came to earth was on an asteroid anyways. The universe is so big, it is nigh impossible for life not to exist.

That feeling when you comment before reading the OP.

No I did. I was just giving my opinion about the matter in general.

So, instead of addressing this unique take on the question of life elsewhere,

you opt instead to give out your crucially important opinion....which happens to be no different than what is commonly held by any and everyone who realizes how big the universe is?....Alright.

So instead of addressing this unique take on the question of life elsewhere, 
 
you opt instead to moan about other users inability to address the unique take on the question of life elsewhere?
#45 Posted by Pyrogram (35143 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Jezer said:

@Pyrogram said:

@Jezer said:

@Pyrogram said:

You would actually be ignorant to think otherwise, Of-course life exists elsewhere. One theory how how life came to earth was on an asteroid anyways. The universe is so big, it is nigh impossible for life not to exist.

That feeling when you comment before reading the OP.

No I did. I was just giving my opinion about the matter in general.

So, instead of addressing this unique take on the question of life elsewhere,

you opt instead to give out your crucially important opinion....which happens to be no different than what is commonly held by any and everyone who realizes how big the universe is?....Alright.

So instead of addressing this unique take on the question of life elsewhere, you opt instead to moan about other users inability to address the unique take on the question of life elsewhere?

Thank you, I did not answer the question as it was wanted and I admit that. But you make a good point. Thank you.

#46 Posted by kuonphobos (4882 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@kuonphobos said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@kuonphobos said:

@mrdecepticonleader said:

@kuonphobos said:

No.

@Nefarious said:

No.

Really? You dismiss it like that.Is it not a little ignorant?

No.

Don't assume because you disagree with me that I haven't put any thought or consideration into it.

I never assumed such but to say for certain there is no other life out there in this ridiculously massive universe of ours just seems illogical.

I think it is somewhat interesting that when I make the very similar claim regarding the existence of the supernatural (ie appeal to the vastness of reality and the limitations of human perception) you don't exibit the same open mindedness.

So why do you think as such then?

One one hand I weigh the vastness of space which becomes at some point theoretical on the other I weigh the vastness of the variables which led to the creation/appearance of life. For me the uniqueness of variables outweigh the theoretical concepts of the vastness of space. I guess it comes down to probabilities.

Also, I would not be totally honest if I didn't admit that my personal understanding of the existence of God and the uniquness of His creation wasn't a factor. But I am trying to set that aside in an attempt to hold my position on as purely a "scientific" argument as possible.

the difference between the supernatural/extraterrestrial is that it's 100% confirmed that life eg. bacteria can survive in space and on other planets yet there has never been any substantial proof of anything supernatural.

First, it is not my intention to derail this thread. I was merely pointing out something I found interesting when comparing MrDecpticonleaders statement. This is based on previous conversations between them and I in the past.

I would be interested in knowing upon what you base the statement that it is 100% confirmed. Were the conditons natural or artificial? Was this bacteria naturally occuring or artificially introduced? Is there any evidence that such a thing would/could occur without the interference of man?

Proof of the supernatural is a very different discussion, one which I have attempted to make many times over elsewhere. In my opinion it satands on presuppositions about the fundamental constructs of reality and how we as human beings are able to percieve them. But as I said it was not and is not my intention to derail this thread. A question was asked and I offered my opinion. Another question was asked of my opinion and I offered an explanation (if simple). I do not intend to engage the supernatural conversation at any time in the near future. If you really care what I think (which I doubt and wouldn't take offence) you can do so in the "Religion What Do You Think" thread. There is much there to read through.

#47 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32846 posts) - - Show Bio
#48 Posted by Jezer (3096 posts) - - Show Bio

@Pyrogram said:

@Jezer said:

@Pyrogram said:

@Jezer said:

@Pyrogram said:

You would actually be ignorant to think otherwise, Of-course life exists elsewhere. One theory how how life came to earth was on an asteroid anyways. The universe is so big, it is nigh impossible for life not to exist.

That feeling when you comment before reading the OP.

No I did. I was just giving my opinion about the matter in general.

So, instead of addressing this unique take on the question of life elsewhere,

you opt instead to give out your crucially important opinion....which happens to be no different than what is commonly held by any and everyone who realizes how big the universe is?....Alright.

Yes. Actually. And you thought to randomly create an argument for no reason?...Alright.

Is this an argument? An argument implies that there's, I don't know, two viewpoints. I think its just a general internet guideline that you should try to address the OP, if you're gonna attempt to be on topic. Or that you should at least make your opinions worth saying, like they contribute to the thread, as opposed to simply saying what everyone thinks as if its worth knowing that thats your opinion.

The obvious exception being when people, like I'm doing now, are trying to point at a mistake that's unrelated to the topic of the thread.

#49 Posted by jeanlucpicard (1845 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#50 Posted by Jezer (3096 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@Jezer said:

@Pyrogram said:

@Jezer said:

@Pyrogram said:

You would actually be ignorant to think otherwise, Of-course life exists elsewhere. One theory how how life came to earth was on an asteroid anyways. The universe is so big, it is nigh impossible for life not to exist.

That feeling when you comment before reading the OP.

No I did. I was just giving my opinion about the matter in general.

So, instead of addressing this unique take on the question of life elsewhere,

you opt instead to give out your crucially important opinion....which happens to be no different than what is commonly held by any and everyone who realizes how big the universe is?....Alright.

So instead of addressing this unique take on the question of life elsewhere, you opt instead to moan about other users inability to address the unique take on the question of life elsewhere?

Yeah. Its the same thing professors do when they interrupt what they're talking about to tell someone to stop talking and get on topic, despite the fact that has nothing to do with the actual topic.

Are you gonna be like "well hey, I was offtopic. But you telling me to get on topic was offtopic!"? Following that logic, no one can tell someone thats offtopic to get on topic. It all originates to the original person deviating from the topic.

*elaborate shrug*