• 78 results
ShadowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ShadowKing

I mean, is it really necessary to have an invisible spirit to guide us through life?

NlGHTCRAWLER

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By NlGHTCRAWLER

For some people it is necessary. Do we NOT need a God?

ShadowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ShadowKing

Well, I can't really answer that. 

icysloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By icysloth

Well we at least need the concept of god or I wouldn't have my favortie comic book of all time, Preacher.

JediXMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#5  Edited By JediXMan  Moderator

This argument relies on the idea that believers don't really believe, and this is not (always) the case.

ShadowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By ShadowKing
@icysloth: Preacher? No way Jose. 
iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By iLLituracy

Seeing as how it's possible to go through life as an Atheist or, you know, one of the many religions that don't believe in God or any concept of a god, at all. Yes.

Do you need to think through your topics before you make them is a better question, I think.

ShadowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By ShadowKing
@JediXMan: Makes sense. It is as if they have developed this illusion of a great being who has come to save humanity. 
KnightRise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KnightRise

@ShadowKing: I've done very well without any religous beliefs what so ever. Some people wouldn't have faired so well without their religion, though.

icysloth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By icysloth

@ShadowKing: To each their own it was the first adult comic I read.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator

Depends really. Relative to what? Define we, define god, define need. Quite a few variables or ways to interpret. Some people need god more than others, some people like the idea of god more than others, some people need the idea of a higher power, some people need to know answers to questions that we can't prove, some people need information to help fill the gaps created by curiosity, some people need the social structure and purpose that belief in god brings, some people need the structure and purpose that sports or other activities bring, some people believe god is truth and they don't need god, they find god, and like a thousand other variations of the things I have said and even though I am typing and not talking **big breath** because that sentence just went on for a bit there. I personally think god has better substitutes beyond historically.       

ShadowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ShadowKing
@KnightRise:  That is impressive. I agree, some of us have to go solo and others need something to guide them.

@icysloth:  Cool stuff. Having a first comic is like dream come true.

@iLLituracy: You are right. I must think. 
ShadowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By ShadowKing
@SC said:
Depends really. Relative to what? Define we, define god, define need. Quite a few variables or ways to interpret. Some people need god more than others, some people like the idea of god more than others, some people need the idea of a higher power, some people need to know answers to questions that we can't prove, some people need information to help fill the gaps created by curiosity, some people need the social structure and purpose that belief in god brings, some people need the structure and purpose that sports or other activities bring, some people believe god is truth and they don't need god, they find god, and like a thousand other variations of the things I have said and even though I am typing and not talking **big breath** because that sentence just went on for a bit there. I personally think god has better substitutes beyond historically.       
We as in humanity.
LivingWire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By LivingWire

it's easy for us to think that there's someone out there guiding us and there is someone we could put our hopes on. I guess this may be one of the biggest help of believing in a supernatural entity. But modern atrocities made in the name of god is one of the reasons why it is important to discuss this ongoing topic, is it necessary to believe in a god now in our modern generation? where men are smart enough to don't just rely on hope and faith but by doing the things that can help them fix their problems. :D

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#15  Edited By Xanni15

@LivingWire said:

it's easy for us to think that there's someone out there guiding us and there is someone we could put our hopes on. I guess this may be one of the biggest help of believing in a supernatural entity. But modern atrocities made in the name of god is one of the reasons why it is important to discuss this ongoing topic, is it necessary to believe in a god now in our modern generation? where men are smart enough to don't just rely on hope and faith but by doing the things that can help them fix their problems. :D

I know the topic is about God, but there's just as many modern atrocities committed that are not in the name of God.

ShadowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By ShadowKing
@LivingWire said:

Makes sense. Mass suicides are a good example of atrocities being caused in the name of the mighty Lord.
moywar700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By moywar700

Religion long time ago was there to give people the satisfaction that they can conquer the afterlife.It was to empowered people and that they can conquer death.People's crops kept failing and the rain wouldn't come. They thought, "my life is so bad, maybe it'll get better after I die." It gave people hope to move on with their lives.

That was hundreds and hundreds of years ago.Religion plays a different role.I am kinda neutral on this, I have to respect other people's culture as long as it doesn't being harm to others.

AssertingValor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 65

#18  Edited By AssertingValor

how many religious threads do we need circleing around on a comic site?

ShadowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By ShadowKing
@LordMaverick: Over 9,000!!!! 

@moywar700: I see where you are going.
SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SC  Moderator
@ShadowKing:  Thank you for clarification **smile**  

Was slightly rhetorical, in the sense that within any grouping, each individuals needs will differ, sometimes more dramatically, sometimes less so. So the need varies, as does the ability and opportunity to substitute what is needed with other things, and that will vary from person to person, group to group. 
ShadowKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By ShadowKing
@SC: Your welcome. :)
Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#22  Edited By Xanni15

@ShadowKing said:

@LivingWire said:

Makes sense. Mass suicides are a good example of atrocities being caused in the name of the mighty Lord.

Seriously?

LivingWire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By LivingWire

well apparently , the question about religion is a growing topic, it's inevitable to have things like those here :D

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By InnerVenom123

Nope.

But some people do.

So whatever.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By pooty

@InnerVenom123 said:

Nope.

But some people do.

So whatever.

this

Enemybird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Enemybird

@LordMaverick said:

how many religious threads do we need circleing around on a comic site?

feebadger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By feebadger

@JediXMan said:

This argument relies on the idea that believers don't really believe, and this is not (always) the case.

Actually, this argument relies on the idea that anyone who answers it really does believe as if you don't, the question is completely redundant.

renamed040924

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By renamed040924

@ShadowKing said:

I mean, is it really necessary to have an invisible spirit to guide us through life?

True learning the religion before asking dumb questions... God doesn't guide people through life.

Avatar image for mrdecepticonleader
mrdecepticonleader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I dont need a god,I dont believe a god exists.

Other people feel they do for various reasons,though they dont need to believe there is one.

Atheist all the way.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#30  Edited By Lvenger

@mrdecepticonleader said:

I dont need a god,I dont believe a god exists.

Other people feel they do for various reasons,though they dont need to believe there is one.

Atheist all the way.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#31  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
@JediXMan said:

Not necessarily, you can still believe in god yet want nothing to do with him
spawn_123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By spawn_123

We need to need to believe in somthing because when we belive our will is more strong and when our will is strong we can do things that are beyond our selves

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By King_Saturn
Don't Know... We would have to figure out if this Invisible Spirit as you put it has something to do with the Formation and Continuation of our Reality... if we figure out that such thing is not the case... well then eh.
MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By MasterJohn

If there never was a God..Mankind has no soul or spirit.......If there never was a God, there's no purpose to the Universe-if you're and atheist..If there never was a God..The U.N. could pass genocide acts..If there never was a God, morale anarchy would be the expected state of things..Morale anarchy, whatever pleases the Government-would also be good for you even if it's NOT, that is "Atheism" in a nutshell

YoungJustice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By YoungJustice

We need a TOAA

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 10

#36  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@MasterJohn said:

If there never was a God, there's no purpose to the Universe

Just wondering since you brought it up. What do you think the purpose of the universe is if there is a god?

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By King_Saturn
@MasterJohn said:

If there never was a God..Mankind has no soul or spirit.......If there never was a God, there's no purpose to the Universe-if you're and atheist..If there never was a God..The U.N. could pass genocide acts..If there never was a God, morale anarchy would be the expected state of things..Morale anarchy, whatever pleases the Government-would also be good for you even if it's NOT, that is "Atheism" in a nutshell

So it's clear that "You" need there to be a God... because your worldview about there not possibly being one is so warped it has you thinking some rather odd things about people who don't believe in a Deity. I mean seriously do you think the only purpose of doing good is just so make God happy ? you don't think people can do good for the sake of simply doing good ? 
x_29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#38  Edited By x_29

No. All we need is each other and our independence.

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By MasterJohn

@King Saturn said:

@MasterJohn said:

So it's clear that "You" need there to be a God... because your worldview about there not possibly being one is so warped it has you thinking some rather odd things about people who don't believe in a Deity. I mean seriously do you think the only purpose of doing good is just so make God happy ? you don't think people can do good for the sake of simply doing good ?

Indeed I do. Do you even believe in God?

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#40  Edited By Strider1992

@MasterJohn said:

So your saying that Atheists are potential Genocidalists that are devoid of morals? -.o

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MasterJohn

@DoomDoomDoom said:

@MasterJohn said:

Just wondering since you brought it up. What do you think the purpose of the universe is if there is a god?

The purpose of the Universe is to Humans to serve God. He didn't create us to create problems. He created us to serve him. Of course, we have free will. Humanity can chose to serve him, or turn away and serve there own Spiritual god. They can praise him, or Praise the New-age Scientists of this Earth. On another note, 60% of the Internet, in my estimation, is Atheistic.

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MasterJohn

@Strider92 said:

@MasterJohn said:

So your saying that Atheists are potential Genocidalists that are devoid of morals? -.o

The U.S.S.R's religion was State Atheism. Stalin was an Atheist. Mao, Lenin, Hitler, were all Atheists, enemies of the Catholic Church and the Religion of Christianity. So basically, yes, that's what I am saying.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By King_Saturn
@MasterJohn said:

@King Saturn said:

@MasterJohn said:

Indeed I do. Do you even believe in God?

Yes I do... but not the God of Organized Religion as most people do. 
As far as your second question... you do realize that an Atheist could be a better person than you then right ? I mean if your only motivation to do Good is because of pleasing someone then your motives have conditions to them... if someone just helps people for the fact that they see someone in need and not an exterior motive of pleasing some Boss so they can be on his good side and get goodies from them... then their act is done unconditionally. 
Think of it this way. If you have to Lifeguards and one of the Lifeguards saves a person because he sees him in need... the other Lifeguard saves the person because he sees him in need and knows if he saves him he will be rewarded by his Boss at his place of Employment... the motives of the two people are different... one is motivated to help people because he likes to actually help people... the other is motivated to help people because he wants a reward for when he does help people... 
King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By King_Saturn
@MasterJohn said:

@DoomDoomDoom said:

@MasterJohn said:

The purpose of the Universe is to Humans to serve God. He didn't create us to create problems. He created us to serve him. Of course, we have free will. Humanity can chose to serve him, or turn away and serve there own Spiritual god. They can praise him, or Praise the New-age Scientists of this Earth. On another note, 60% of the Internet, in my estimation, is Atheistic.

You realize how Strange this sounds right ? the fact that the Universe is made up of more than just our Earth and Star System... but you are talking about Billions and Billions of Star Systems in Billions of Galaxies in this Universe... heck as far as we know we might not even be the only intelligent life in this Universe ( it's highly unlikely we are )... so you think all of the Billions of Galaxies with Planets in them was created for Humans so they can serve God ? 
Avatar image for sesquipedalophobe
sesquipedalophobe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Of course there is a need for a god, just as there is a need for the illusion of democracy and Wal-Mart's great value food that tastes like Alpo.

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MasterJohn

@King Saturn said:

@MasterJohn said:

@DoomDoomDoom said:

@MasterJohn said:

You realize how Strange this sounds right ? the fact that the Universe is made up of more than just our Earth and Star System... but you are talking about Billions and Billions of Star Systems in Billions of Galaxies in this Universe... heck as far as we know we might not even be the only intelligent life in this Universe ( it's highly unlikely we are )... so you think all of the Billions of Galaxies with Planets in them was created for Humans so they can serve God ?

He created this universe for his own enjoyment. Also, what is this "God" you believe in. I am sure it's not Jesus Christ. I am also not denying the existance of Extra-terrestrials

Strider1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#47  Edited By Strider1992

@MasterJohn said:

@Strider92 said:

@MasterJohn said:

The U.S.S.R's religion was State Atheism. Stalin was an Atheist. Mao, Lenin, Hitler, were all Atheists, enemies of the Catholic Church and the Religion of Christianity. So basically, yes, that's what I am saying.

An yet millions of people were slaughtered during the Holy Crusades and by the Spanish Inquisition. How is that any different?

I am Atheist. I don't believe in any type of creator but I have never (nor would I ever) accuse Christian's, Muslims, Buddhists etc... of being Genocidal people who are devoid of emotion. Seems kinda narrow minded to condemn a whole belief simply because of a few select people in the past have done wrong with it.

Franco, Torquemada and Justinian all killed hundreds of people in the name of Christianity and many many more have been killed in the past due to Christianity, Catholicism, Protestant etc... but do I blame the religion for that? No I blame the madmen and individuals responsible not condemn an entire way of believing/thinking for the acts of a select few sick individuals. I wouldn't judge you on the fact that these men share your religion and slaughtered lots of people so why are you judging me on the fact that people like Lenin happen to also share my belief?

DoomDoomDoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#48  Edited By DoomDoomDoom

@MasterJohn said:

@Strider92 said:

@MasterJohn said:

Saying Hitler was an atheist is simply avoiding some of the facts. I'm not saying he's a christian or an atheist, because we just don't know and it is a subject of contention.

"feeling as a Christian points me to my Lord and Savior as a fighter. It points me to the man who once in loneliness, surrounded only by a few followers, recognized these Jews for what they were and summoned men to fight against them and who, God's truth! was greatest not as a sufferer but as a fighter. In boundless love as a Christian and as a man I read through the passage which tells us how the Lord at last rose in His might and seized the scourge to drive out of the Temple the brood of vipers and adders. How terrific was his fight against the Jewish poison. Today, after two thousand years, with deepest emotion I recognize more profoundly than ever before the fact that it was for this that He had to shed his blood upon the Cross. As a Christian, I have no duty to allow myself to be cheated, but I have the duty to be a fighter for truth and justice"

This is part of a speech given by Hitler in 1922. He sounds a lot like a christian here to me.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By King_Saturn
@MasterJohn said:

@King Saturn said:

@MasterJohn said:

@DoomDoomDoom said:

@MasterJohn said:

He created this universe for his own enjoyment. Also, what is this "God" you believe in. I am sure it's not Jesus Christ. I am also not denying the existance of Extra-terrestrials

Well it's possible Jesus was a Demigod ( born of Yahweh and Mary )... he was not literally equal to Yahweh... he came out of Yahweh but is not literally equal to him... Jesus said that The Father was Greater than he was... Jesus also said why call him good... there is only one good and that is God.   
Also, so the only purpose for the Vast Universe is for God's Enjoyment ? Why does he need so much of it if that's the case and he seems so wrapped up in the affairs of Humans on Earth ? It would seem the Milky Way Galaxy as the Fullness of the Universe would fit quite nicely eh ? 
mfundo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By mfundo

Hmm, very difficult answer. "I'm going to teach evolution to creationists"- Big Bang Theory.