Do Super Heroes Erode Trust In Government?

Avatar image for capelesscrusader
capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 0

Edited By capelesscrusader

Last week, I did a piece on whether or not vigilantism in comics is a good thing. The original source for the article was a column by Josh Horwitz, in which he discusses that vigilantism, overall, is typically indicative of a failing trust in governmental and societal institutions. This failure of trust results in a belief that problems are best solved by an individual acting alone rather than by a system that has become ineffectual.

The more I thought about it, the more this made me wonder: do super-heroes help or hurt the overall trust of the societies in which they operate?

When Superman stops a tornado from destroying a small midwestern town, what is going to happen the next time that municipality votes on updating their early warning system? Will they see the necessity of protecting themselves or will they instead choose to believe that Superman will be there next time? Why choose to invest hundreds of thousands of dollars into prevention that you may not need when the Man of Steel can send the tornado back up into the clouds the next time one appears?

When Batman uses his state-of-the-art technology to bring in a rogue villainous mastermind, what effect does that have the next time the city of Gotham is asked to vote on a bond issue to provide new equipment to the GCPD? Why should the citizens of Gotham vote to extend more funding to a police department that must rely on a maniac in a bat suit to solve its cases? That this funding would likely wind up back in the hands of Wayne Enterprises and by extension Batman is not a moot point, but is one for another day.

When heroes effectively replace law enforcement, disaster relief, even orbital protection, what reason do regular people have to trust in the governments of the world?

In certain sectors of the comic book medium, heroes operate in conjunction with their respective governments, often under their direction. Invincible, throughout much of the first half of its run, had the main character receiving orders from the Pentagon when it came to addressing potential global threats.

In the Marvel universe, post-Civil War, we now have several organized superhuman agencies that operate under the auspices of the US government, answering their call to deal with threats to the safety of the citizenry.

Aquaman and Wonder Woman are intriguing exceptions to both rules, their cases being that both are royalty of foreign nations, and thus diplomatically imune from prosecution.

In the revamped DC Universe, even the Justice League now operates under the watchful eye of the US Government, with an "authorized" international team working directly for and with the United Nations. In situations like this, the case could be made that the participation of these heroes in the structure of government would actually enhance its efficacy.

Throughout much of comics history, however, the majority of characters have operated in a legal gray area, where they functioned outside of the parameters of law, meting out vigilante justice. Very few have any legitimate claims to authority or any standing permitting them to act with impunity. Granted, there have been cases where heroes have been officially deputized by their local municpalities, but that has been the exception rather than the norm. Instead, these heroes operate extralegally, free from prosecution for what are, essentially, vigilante activities.

Thoughout comics history, this has been a largely unquestioned dynamic. By and large, those few characters that do place themselves in opposition to unchecked vigilantism are there as plot foils or ongoing comic relief. J. Jonah Jameson, publisher of The Daily Bugle, is a perfect example of this, as is Denis Leary's Captain Stacy in the upcoming Amazing Spider-Man. These are characters who are portrayed as ridiculous and, by extension, their ideas and (somewhat) legitimate criticism of the lawless heroes are rendered ridiculous as well. Their motivations are reduced to petty jealousy and revenge, their reasoning skewed, and even the depictions of them are often rabid and frightening. It is as if only a madman would question the hero's right to do as they wish, regardless of the law.

So what effect does this have on society's faith in its human governments?

This is a topic that has only been rarely addressed in books themselves. At the close of the Pre-Crisis era, there was an excellent story entitled "Does the World Need a Superman?" which showed Superman being questioned by the Guardians of the Universe. They put him to the question, positing that his very presence on Earth is impeding human progress. They point out that whenever he solves a problem for humanity, be it large or small, he is robbing them of the opportunity to make that mistake, learn from it, and derive a solution that is independent of a otherworldly intervention. It is the superhuman equivalent of teaching men to fish, rather than providing them fish out of hand.

When the answer to any pressing question becomes "[hero of your choice] will save us!" then what impetus does mankind have to come up with new solutions of their own?

TheBatman586

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By TheBatman586

I don't think superheroes would necessarily impede progress, simply because they can't solve every problem that humanity has (you can't blast poverty or racism with heat vision and toss it into the sun). 
Some heroes, though, would probably lessen trust in government, although sometimes I think that can be a good thing (for example, V in V for Vendetta).

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By Inverno

This same argument led to the Civil War, and we all know how that turned out...

capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By capelesscrusader

@TheBatman586: I will agree that they can't solve every problem that mankind faces, but a great many are dealt with in our favorite pages.

You cite poverty as one example, so I'll go with that one first. Say that The Flash teams up with Batman to provide cheap, affordable housing to everyone on the planet. Wayne provides the materials, Flash is a one-man labor force. Have you really then solved the problem of poverty or just alleviated one of its symptoms as well as removed one of the primary motivators for people to be lifted out of poverty?

I won't dispute that heroes calling governments into question or opposing them when they become overtly corrupt (like the situation in "V for Vendetta"), but overall, I think that heroes are not doing enough to promote self-reliance on the part of human powers.

capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By capelesscrusader

@CaioTrubat: I don't think that whether or not heroes lessen trust in government was the central argument in Civil War. That story was about whether or not the government can trust unlicensed vigilantes with the power of weapons of mass destruction with the safekeeping of the planet, all while having no accountability for their actions.

Apples and oranges, my friend. :)

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Rumble Man

@TheBatman586: @capelesscrusader:

disagree with you here, they can but its rarely shown... they can always bring a new tech revolution or steer our consciousness to do good.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#6  Edited By PowerHerc

No, it's our bought-and-paid-for (by big-money special interests) politicians that have and continue to erode trust in government.

capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By capelesscrusader

@Rumble Man: I have seen some cases where a technological upswing results from the superhuman community's actions, but to say that this is always the case may be a bit strong. For example, we have seen Metropolis derive some benefit from STAR Labs work with Superman, but where is the benefit in Gotham? Where is the benefit in Hell's Kitchen, or Opal City, or Los Angeles?

capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By capelesscrusader

@PowerHerc: Two things.

1) Can there not be more than a single factor that erodes trust in government?

2) Where are the heroes who are actively trying to combat that pay-for-play problem?

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Rumble Man

@capelesscrusader: Some tropes to help ya

1. Our world can be a utopia if given to the right superhero
    Our world can be a utopia if given to the right superhero
    case 1
  2. case 2
  3. case 3
  4. case 4

Writers tend to be lazy to go to their own utopias, they want a somewhat 'relatable' world. If comic universes get their sh!t together all wars will end, no more hunger will occur, world peace would be a reality and humans will go to a space age where we will terraform empty planets and colonize them.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By PowerHerc

@capelesscrusader:

1) Yes, though the corrupt politicians and their shameless, perpetual violation of the public trust is the root of nearly all the trust eroding factors.

2) Superheroes fighting politicians doesn't really appeal to a broad range of comic fans which probably explains the dearth of those kind of stories.

capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By capelesscrusader

@Rumble Man: That's some good stuff, pal. I will actually be doing a write-up of the "Solve Everything" storyline as it relates to the rest of Hickman's body of work once his run on FF and Fantastic Four is complete. If you put it next to 'Red Mass For Mars' it becomes particularly interesting, as that book does contain a superhero-driven technological utopia.

capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By capelesscrusader

@PowerHerc: Personally, I think that there are certain characters for whom this would be not only an acceptable path, but a very rich one for them to take. Let's see Bruce Wayne try to navigate the waters of Gotham City politics. He has the wealth to make it happen, but it's a completely different battle than that which he is used to. Given his resources, it would be interesting to see him either expose or threaten to expose their dirty laundry. Does he become corrupted by this path? Can he actually affect change? It would be fair to say that my own politics lean rather liberal, but this would be a case where a 1%-er could do some serious good.

The same could go for Tony Stark, though they have done substantially more in that vein over at the House of Ideas than they have at the Distinguished Competition.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By PowerHerc

@capelesscrusader: I get your meaning and I think such stories could be good but I'm not sure they would appeal to enough readers and therefore sell many comics.

Rumble Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Rumble Man

@capelesscrusader: If you want more agressive superheroes on that matter you should check out Wildstorm's Authority. They don't tackle superhuman issues rather real human ones and with iron fists. Or the planetary for a nicer version.

jinxuandi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By jinxuandi

Great topic. I don't think there can be a correct answer because there are so many different types of heroes (using drastically different methods) that I don't think people living a comic book universe could ever entirely believe that heroes could solve their problems. Yes, there are heroes whose methods and behavior are more or less consistent, like Superman, Spider-Man and Captain America.

But this type of hero actually seems to be the exception rather than the rule. As untrustworthy or corrupt as government officials can be, most people would prefer them to the Hulk, the Punisher, Batman or Guy Gardner. Most cops aren't likely to destroy your house, accidentally (or purposely) kill or seriously injure your family members, break into your house in the middle of the night to question you, or ignore your calls for help to go an a drinking binge.

Maybe if more heroes lived up to the 'heroic ideal,' people in comic universes would begin to think they could solve all their problems. Then again, I think that would make comics a lot more boring. : )

Gwahlur_Rising

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Gwahlur_Rising

Well, I wouldn't presume to speak for anyone but myself, but in order for a superhero to erode my trust in the government, there would have to be some trust there, in the first place.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By InnerVenom123

Sure, why not.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By Primmaster64

In DC the government has hols of kryptonite weapons to kill Superman if he goes rougue...

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Lunacyde  Moderator

The government has already eroded any trust in it I had...they don't need any help.

Avatar image for thewitchinghour
TheWitchingHour

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#21  Edited By TheWitchingHour

Yes I suppose superheroes would erode trust in certain institutions if they were real and capable of such drastic changes in society. For example if Mr. Fantastic (Reed Richards Earth 616) existed in our reality I would trust him without question to run the nation.

joshmightbe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#22  Edited By joshmightbe

I believe the government does a good enough job of eroding trust on its own

capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By capelesscrusader

@Primmaster64: I have read some of those stories but, outside of Frank Miller's little corner of comicdom, any time a major player or world power has tried to bring down Superman (usually in some sort of Elseworlds story) it doesn't go well for the party in question. It's pretty much been shown that if Superman had any real interest in ruling the world, he would at least achieve control, if not success.

capelesscrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By capelesscrusader

@TheWitchingHour: Reed Richards is a fascinating choice. I have been giving thought to what heroes, by virtue of their records and means, could mount an effective campaign for political office. Reed is a good choice, though I wonder if his record on indefinite detention might not make me question it.

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By ssejllenrad

@joshmightbe said:

I believe the government does a good enough job of eroding trust on its own

This