Do Realism and Relatability Actually Make Something Better?

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By MrDirector786

I want to know if people really think that if a character or something is more realistic and relatable makes it better than something more imaginative. Personally, I don't think so. There are shows that aren't very realistic but are still considered very good and I'm pretty sure there are media which are very realistic but aren't very good. There are also characters who aren't very realistic but are very popular and I'm certain there are realistic characters who aren't liked by a whole lot of people. To me, a good story is a good story whether it is realistic or not and a good character is good whether or not they are relatable. But what are your thoughts?

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Magian

It doesn't matter to me. As long as the story or the character are good, I am ok.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By MrDirector786
@ComicMan24 said:
" It doesn't matter to me. As long as the story or the character are good, I am ok. "
Agreed. It's too bad a lot of people out there seem to think that a character has to be relatable in order to be a good character and that a story has to be realistic or it sucks.
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Magian
@MrDirector786 said:
" @ComicMan24 said:
" It doesn't matter to me. As long as the story or the character are good, I am ok. "
Agreed. It's too bad a lot of people out there seem to think that a character has to be relatable in order to be a good character and that a story has to be realistic or it sucks. "
I know. Personally a lot of the characters that I like are not very realistic but I don'tt mind it because I like them. Did you get inspired for this by that Superman thread?
Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#5  Edited By turoksonofstone

I believe realism enhances suspension of disbelief, which allows for the introduction of more imaginary concepts.

batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By batman_is_god
@MrDirector786:
relatability helps, but realism should never be uttered on a comic site
batman_is_god

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#7  Edited By batman_is_god
@turoksonofstone said:
"I believe realism enhances suspension of disbelief, which allows for the introduction of more imaginary concepts. "

true, true
vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

When it comes to comics the answer is yes.

MrDirector786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MrDirector786
@ComicMan24 said:
" @MrDirector786 said:
" @ComicMan24 said:
Agreed. It's too bad a lot of people out there seem to think that a character has to be relatable in order to be a good character and that a story has to be realistic or it sucks. "
I know. Personally a lot of the characters that I like are not very realistic but I don'tt mind it because I like them. Did you get inspired for this by that Superman thread? "
Kind of. It's something I've been thinking of for a while really but that thread is what really motivated me to make this thread.
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Magian
@turoksonofstone said:
" I believe realism enhances suspension of disbelief, which allows for the introduction of more imaginary concepts. "
Isn't that a bit contradictory?

@MrDirector786:
I see. Ok then.
Avatar image for turoksonofstone
turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#11  Edited By turoksonofstone
@ComicMan24 said:
" @turoksonofstone said:
" I believe realism enhances suspension of disbelief, which allows for the introduction of more imaginary concepts. "
Isn't that a bit contradictory?

@MrDirector786: I see. Ok then. "
not at all. How so?
Telcalipoca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Telcalipoca

i read and see things to take me away from my world i dont care if the person im reading about or seing has nothing i could relate to it would be best that way.

Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By Primmaster64
@ComicMan24 said: