#1 Posted by Gambit474 (1481 posts) - - Show Bio

So after watching The Flashpoint paradox film that DC released recently it got me to wondering if parallel universes really do exist. The question of course popped into my head after watching some of their bonus features about time travel and all that...However does science have an answer for parallel universes?

#2 Edited by PartialSanity (433 posts) - - Show Bio
#3 Edited by Guardiandevil83 (5778 posts) - - Show Bio

I would say no. But then again I no longer believe that Justice prevails, people can be completely honest, and love concurs all. But I'm a 30 year old bitter black comic nerd. So my opinion may be a bit fked.

#4 Edited by MysteriousUsername (1210 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a universe right now where you slapped yourself in the face and jumped in some lava.

At least that would be the case assuming there's an infinite amount of alt universes.

#5 Posted by Batman242 (4862 posts) - - Show Bio

Wouldn't just the idea of comics and their multiverses make you think about parallel universe?

Flashpoint wasn't really a parallel universe. Barry just went back in time on the same universe and changed history.

If there is such thing as an alternate universe, then I'd be a conquerer.

#6 Posted by DeathpooltheT1000 (11415 posts) - - Show Bio
Well not you, you, buy a parallel versions of you.

#7 Posted by russellmania77 (15664 posts) - - Show Bio

There is a universe right now where you slapped yourself in the face and jumped in some lava.

At least that would be the case assuming there's an infinite amount of alt universes.

infinite crisis

#8 Posted by dccomicsrule2011 (25512 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe,maybe not and it is something we may never know.

#9 Posted by CrimsonCake (2679 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel's multiverse had me obsessing over this very concept.

#10 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4249 posts) - - Show Bio

Try reading Fred Alan Wolf's Parallel Universes. It's a good read and is kinda written for the layman so I would recommend it if your just interested in the idea.

#11 Posted by Gambit474 (1481 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah it was just something that struck my curosity

#12 Posted by Yokergeist (12355 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe...

#13 Edited by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

Regardless of whether there are an infinite number of universes, the universe we live in acts as if there is.

We have no direct evidence of other universes, but our indirect evidence says there are.

It's kinda like saying... A lot of us have never been to, say Australia... So Australia is something of a theory to those people... Regardless of whether Australia exists or not, the world acts as though Australia does exist.

#14 Posted by WillPayton (9548 posts) - - Show Bio

However does science have an answer for parallel universes?

Some scientists believe that there may be multiple, or even infinite universes. One possibility is that universes with different versions of the laws of physics are constantly being created. So, in some gravity is stronger, or weaker than ours, or the speed of light is different, etc. This would account for why our universe is adequate for life to exist... because there are basically an infinite number and eventually some of them would be spawned with laws of physics that allow complex life to form, and here we are.

Another possibility is that there are infinite universes that are permutations of our own, were each "observed" event creates different universes, each having a different outcome. This would be one interpretation of Quantum Mechanics, but I dont think this is really what happens.

In any case, scientists have no way to know right now, and maybe we'll never know.

#15 Posted by XImpossibruX (5180 posts) - - Show Bio

No.

#16 Edited by warlock360 (28054 posts) - - Show Bio

@gambit474: http://www.foxnews.com/scitech/2010/04/05/freaky-physics-proves-parallel-universes/

#17 Posted by KingRobbStark (165 posts) - - Show Bio

@durakken said:

Regardless of whether there are an infinite number of universes, the universe we live in acts as if there is.

We have no direct evidence of other universes, but our indirect evidence says there are.

It's kinda like saying... A lot of us have never been to, say Australia... So Australia is something of a theory to those people... Regardless of whether Australia exists or not, the world acts as though Australia does exist.

There is evidence that Australia exists, but there is NO evidence (direct or indirect) that parallel universes exist. You would make a horrible lawyer lol

#18 Edited by TheWolverine04 (185 posts) - - Show Bio

Other dimensions yes. Not sure about parallel universes. Perhaps that's what dreams are? Subconsciously connecting with a parallel version's life. If that's true then one of me got seriously messed up by some werewolves.

#19 Posted by jumpstart55 (2279 posts) - - Show Bio

As for right know its only a theory.

So maybe.

#20 Edited by joshmightbe (24937 posts) - - Show Bio

@thewolverine04: That makes my reoccurring giant weasel nightmare even more horrible

#21 Posted by ssejllenrad (12847 posts) - - Show Bio

#22 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingrobbstark said:

@durakken said:

Regardless of whether there are an infinite number of universes, the universe we live in acts as if there is.

We have no direct evidence of other universes, but our indirect evidence says there are.

It's kinda like saying... A lot of us have never been to, say Australia... So Australia is something of a theory to those people... Regardless of whether Australia exists or not, the world acts as though Australia does exist.

There is evidence that Australia exists, but there is NO evidence (direct or indirect) that parallel universes exist. You would make a horrible lawyer lol

Actually, the whole, "acts as if," is evidence and if they exist, Australia is a good analogy for most of us as most of us can't get there... of course I could just as well used a better analogy like another planet, star, or galaxy but whatever.

Also the word "universe" is relative in todays astrophysics and my universe is different than your universe by a small degree and the spreading of "the universe" has resulted in a multiverse. And because of the evolution of scientific knowledge and hypothesis the word universe and those surrounding it are a bit nebulous.

First, Parallel Universe can refer to a universe that is technically in what you would consider the same universe, but is so far away that you can't interact with it.

Second, Parallel Universe can mean any universe that is happening concurrently with out universe... regardless of what is happening in them

third, Parallel Universe can refer to a temporally split universe that has all the same elements, but is slightly changed so that something else is happening... for example a universe where the meteor that killed off the dinosaurs never happened and so man never rose up. Or a universe where Rome never fell or a universe where Leonardo daVinci invented cars and planes... The year would be the same, but past events would be different.

The first, absolutely exist as far as we can tell. The second is m-brane and string theory stuff which is pretty much indeterminate. The third is pretty much a crap shoot as to whether they exist or not depending on your view of how the universe works at the various levels.

I can make an argument that the universe couldn't work unless it was parallel to itself, but I don't want to explain my idea for how Quantum Physics works while it's not fully formed right now. ^.^ Let's just say, I'm pretty sure I can explain a quantum walk or whatever it's called based on the idea of repulsion/attraction and the idea behind the wavicle.

On a side note... we know, based on how physics and biology and psychology works, that we don't really exist in the present... At the elementary (as fat as we know) level particles go faster than light and there really is only 2 interpretations to this according to what we know. They either go backwards in time or they move through space without moving through time. If they go back in time that automatically means there is a point in time, small though it may be, that is ahead of us by some small degree for our world view to work, but then our biology makes it so that we don't interact with the universe immediately. We have something of a buffer where we take in data, compile it, and the form it into a cohesive world view and that world view actually is actually a few miliseconds behind our view of the world... So at this point we're inhabiting a world that is behind what we would call "present" which is behind a "future" that without the "present" couldn't exist.

But it goes one step further because Our consciousness isn't aware of all that information that we take in and only become aware of things as they become important. You aren't aware of the first few chimes of a clock immediately, but at some point in the future you become aware of them that they were there and so we as the things we identify as ourselves, apart from our biology are removed from the present by at least 2 or 3 layers and so to ask if there is a Parallel universe is kinda odd because are we talking about the parallel to that first? second? third? layer because there are different answers to those... The universe that I'm consciously aware of is not the same as the universe that i'm un/subconsciously aware of and both of those are different to the universe that someone else deals with.

And that is all without talking about all the mumbo-jumbo idiots talk about where there is parallel quantum realities that you decide which is the reality you want to live in and you can switch between them, but they're all part of the same universe. And i don't really want to get into that so let's leave that alone ^.^

#23 Edited by KingRobbStark (165 posts) - - Show Bio

@durakken: This just went from a discussion about the possible existence of parallel universes to a discussion about semantics. Knowing how the internet works, we probably should stop here before we start derailing this thread altogether, and start discussing Emma Watson's amazing breast (and for the record, I would not mind).

#24 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingrobbstark said:

@durakken: This just went from a discussion about the possible existence of parallel universes to a discussion about semantics. Knowing how the internet works, we probably should stop here before we start derailing this thread altogether, and start discussing Emma Watson's amazing breast (and for the record, I would not mind).

It is a small question of semantics... I was just trying to cover all the possibilities I could think of.

Emma Watson doesn't have amazing breasts. Firstly, you don't know what they fully look like. Secondly, as far as size and shape from what we can see... maybe 6 / 10... so a slightly above average I'd say, but nothing great... There should be a thread called "Rate the breasts above you" >.>

#25 Edited by KingRobbStark (165 posts) - - Show Bio

@durakken said:

@kingrobbstark said:

@durakken: This just went from a discussion about the possible existence of parallel universes to a discussion about semantics. Knowing how the internet works, we probably should stop here before we start derailing this thread altogether, and start discussing Emma Watson's amazing breast (and for the record, I would not mind).

It is a small question of semantics... I was just trying to cover all the possibilities I could think of.

Emma Watson doesn't have amazing breasts. Firstly, you don't know what they fully look like. Secondly, as far as size and shape from what we can see... maybe 6 / 10... so a slightly above average I'd say, but nothing great... There should be a thread called "Rate the breasts above you" >.>

Look at the picture above, and tell me those are not at least an 8 or 9. Look at this picture for instance, her boobs seem to defy gravity.

#26 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingrobbstark: She's young and is a large A or small B cup. That's not amazing. That's normal.

#27 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29509 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes.

#28 Posted by KingRobbStark (165 posts) - - Show Bio

@durakken: So wait a second, let me get this straight. Do you judge breast by how big they are?

#29 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingrobbstark said:

@durakken: So wait a second, let me get this straight. Do you judge breast by how big they are?

No, but that is a factor.

#30 Posted by Cr4pSnip3r (302 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe, although I think the "infinite universes where you're banging Emma Watson" is highly unlikely. I would say the others are just completely unique, having their own template for physics and other things like that.

#31 Edited by Gambit474 (1481 posts) - - Show Bio

In an alternate universe you're batman lol

#32 Posted by Cr4pSnip3r (302 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by WillPayton (9548 posts) - - Show Bio
#34 Posted by ARMIV2 (8671 posts) - - Show Bio

I doubt it, but in the case of me being wrong, I would love to assemble a team of multi-dimensional me's to go out into different universes fighting evil me's and other baddies. I imagine we'd have a super-smart tech geek me, a lady me, a me who is a superhero, another me who thinks he's a superhero, a me who transforms into a werewolf, a me who is totally into pop-culture trends and music and would therefore be the joke character, an English me, an ancient Mayan warrior woman me, and a cyborg me.

We would all get really cool matching outfits.

#35 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio
#36 Posted by TomorrowKnight (5 posts) - - Show Bio

#37 Posted by Gambit474 (1481 posts) - - Show Bio

@armiv2 said:

I doubt it, but in the case of me being wrong, I would love to assemble a team of multi-dimensional me's to go out into different universes fighting evil me's and other baddies. I imagine we'd have a super-smart tech geek me, a lady me, a me who is a superhero, another me who thinks he's a superhero, a me who transforms into a werewolf, a me who is totally into pop-culture trends and music and would therefore be the joke character, an English me, an ancient Mayan warrior woman me, and a cyborg me.

We would all get really cool matching outfits.

So in other words..You'd be the deadpool corps

#38 Posted by ARMIV2 (8671 posts) - - Show Bio

@armiv2 said:

I doubt it, but in the case of me being wrong, I would love to assemble a team of multi-dimensional me's to go out into different universes fighting evil me's and other baddies. I imagine we'd have a super-smart tech geek me, a lady me, a me who is a superhero, another me who thinks he's a superhero, a me who transforms into a werewolf, a me who is totally into pop-culture trends and music and would therefore be the joke character, an English me, an ancient Mayan warrior woman me, and a cyborg me.

We would all get really cool matching outfits.

So in other words..You'd be the deadpool corps

Not nearly as marketable, though maybe possibly as lovable.

#39 Edited by ShootingNova (18270 posts) - - Show Bio
@ximpossibrux said:

No.

I would say its too early to just say yes or no, because there is a possibility. We might discover a multiverse in the future, because the theory as a whole is consistent (or at least feasible) with most of the stuff in physics.

#40 Edited by mrdecepticonleader (18376 posts) - - Show Bio

@ximpossibrux said:

No.

I would say its too early to just say yes or no, because there is a possibility. We might discover a multiverse in the future, because the theory as a whole is consistent (or at least feasible) with most of the stuff in physics.

Yep

#41 Posted by RazzaTazz (9676 posts) - - Show Bio

The problem with the question is that it is kind of a human centric question. There might be alternate universes, but the vast majority of them would not contain us or be habitable in anyway to us.

Moderator
#42 Posted by Durakken (1593 posts) - - Show Bio

@razzatazz said:

The problem with the question is that it is kind of a human centric question. There might be alternate universes, but the vast majority of them would not contain us or be habitable in anyway to us.

The fun thing about infinites is that words break down a bit...

There would be an infinite number of universes with the majority of them not having us in them but an infinite amount of them would...

Also I view parallel and alternate as separate because parallel is within the same "rational space" (a word phrase i made up) where as alternate is in different rational spaces.

Rational space is areas of existence that operate under the rules of logic...If you imagine that there is a sphere of infinite space that contains all possibilities... and then outside that is irrational space and then there is another sphere of rational space... there are infinite amounts of rational space. This is different from the universes are just far apart thing or membranes or quantaum... A rational space sphere would be all that in one... Obviously there might be higher levels to this and then we simply have an fractal existence...

#43 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (33885 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe there is