Do muslims/christians go by the old or new testament?

• 54 results
swiftbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

In the old testament of the holy bible and the quran it mentions some bad and violent things such as ''Slay all the non-believers, especially gays'' but in the newer testament both are about peace. I don't get it, why is there two parts of what God/Allah says? and why is he so violent in the older ones?

TheComicPro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christians go by the new testament but I am not sure about Muslims

Avatar image for stardustcrusader
StardustCrusader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it mentions some bad and violent things such as ''Slay all the non-believers, especially gays''

If you're gonna quote the bible than at least quote it right

"If there is a man who lies with a male as those who lie with a woman, both of them have committed a detestable act; they shall surely be put to death. Their bloodguiltiness is upon them,"

Lev 20:13

And no, technically Christian are under the New Testament(though some do see some merit in the old one.)

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know what most Christians do, but as a Christian I can say that I "go by" both testaments. Both are read and studied and adhered to. I don't know why people only look at half of the book.

And I don't know why God can be violent at times. I have wondered that too.

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 1

Mohammad claimed to have received messages from Allah, the one true God. These direct messages from God were collected into the Quran, the prime holy book of the Islamic faith. There is also the Hadith. The Hadith was originally oral reports of things Mohammad had said. Many of these circulated about and were eventually bound together in different sets of Hadiths. Muslims differ on what sets of Hadiths are authentic though there is a group of Hadiths which are acknowledged by most Muslims as authentic. These Hadiths form the largest basis for Sharia law.

Mohammad did quote certain stories from the Old and New Testament in the Quran, but he changed them drastically. Possibly, he changed them to suit his own purposes. More likely, he lacked an actual copy of the Old and New Testament and was basing his telling of the stories off what he had heard through word of mouth.

Generally speaking, Muslims believe the figures of the Old and New Testament were indeed prophets, but they were inspired by Allah. Obviously, the reject the deity of Christ. They tend to view the Old and New Testaments as corrupt accounts of events inspired by Allah.

Christians can all agree that they follow the New Testament and believe there is great principles and values in the Old Testament, but they would probably be divided as to whether they believe the should follow the teachings of the Old Testament. In my experience, most would say that parts of it are binding and parts of it are not. Some ministers also share this view, but many share my view that the Old Testament and New Testament are separate testaments (sorta like a covenant or contract) and that the Old Testament (the old deal) was replaced by the New Testament (the new deal) and therefore the laws of the Old Testament are not binding on Christians.

Also, I'm pretty sure there's no, "Slay all the non-believers, especially gays." verse. There is a kill the gays verse. Don't think it says anything about killing all non-believers though. I could be wrong.

swiftbullet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stardustcrusader: Never said i were going to correctly quote the words as he said it. It's not important.

GBandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They go back and forward between it.

rogueshadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rogueshadow  Moderator

The Old Testament retains relevance within Christianity, but the word of Christ is paramount and in cases of contradiction, it is these teachings which are supposed to take precedence.

dshipp17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By dshipp17

@swiftbullet said:

In the old testament of the holy bible and the quran it mentions some bad and violent things such as ''Slay all the non-believers, especially gays'' but in the newer testament both are about peace. I don't get it, why is there two parts of what God/Allah says? and why is he so violent in the older ones?

Nowhere in the Bible does it say to slay all the non-believers, but, that sounds like a passage from the Quran. The Bible, in the Old Testament, does say something along those lines about gays, if discovered, but, it was said in a specific context and only for the Jewish people; the context was while migrating to the Promised Land, where they, as a nomadic group, had to live and survive as a group together; once they arrived in the Promised Land, certain Laws became obsolete for the Jewish people, as they were no longer nomadic, but, could settle down as a group.

However, for Christians, we follow the New Testament; the Laws of the Old Testament had served their purpose; so, homosexuality is just another sin like adultery or fornication; thus, as such, while you may have certain impulses, as long as you don't act on them, the Holy Spirit will help you work through it, if you're Christian. As Christians, we are not called to sly anyone, just to love our neighbors, forgive, and pass over the Gospel to all who will listen, or fulfill the Great Commission.

As for the Quran, we Christians either don't believe it's the inspired Word of God or very skeptical; since the Bible is the only Word of God, there are no two parts to God's will. Plus, as with the Bible, I'd want to view passages from the Quran in context; I don't believe that, in context, the Quran requires Muslims to spontaneously kill a non-believer, as in the case of the Bible; it probably has more to do with someone refusing to submit to their belief system while refusing to accept their alternatives in the event you do not want to be apart of that belief system; if you refuse to abide by those policies in a Muslim dominated area, than, they're probably called to slay you; it's more a respond to rebellion as in some cases of the Old Testament of the Bible, except, in the case of the Bible, it's limited to Jews who were under those Laws at specific time in their history.

But, the Quran is much closer to the Old Testament of the Bible than the New Testament of the Bible; you should probably be linking Muslims more to Jews than Christians.

deathstroke52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

As a Christian, both but mainly the New Testament.

And believe it or not, it does not condone slavery or rape.

Flumox56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

from my personal experience, a large percentage of Christians seem to cherry pick what they want from the New and Old testament to suit what they want to believe and /or what today's society deems acceptable.

I do not know all that much about Islam or the koran, but I would Imagine many Muslims do the same.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are you talking about the NT only or the entire Bible. Because the OT does allow/condone slavery, rape, genocide. But the NT does not

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jayc1324: @thecomicpro: @swiftbullet:

The Bible does NOT say slay all non-believers. But it does say if someone causes a Jew to worship another god then the non believer and the Jew are to be stoned to death.

Muslims believe "parts" of the entire bible but feel that much of the Bible has been distorted by lies. They acknowledge Jesus as a prophet but not the son of god. Muslim beliefs are strict similiar to Jewish beliefs.

The OT and the NT can be studied and followed. But Christians are only commanded to follow the NT

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flumox56 said:

from my personal experience, a large percentage of Christians seem to cherry pick what they want from the New and Old testament to suit what they want to believe and /or what today's society deems acceptable.

I do not know all that much about Islam or the koran, but I would Imagine many Muslims do the same.

Seconded

MrHamWallet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@swiftbullet: "I don't get it, why is there two parts of what God/Allah says? and why is he so violent in the older ones?"

There is more than one part of the bible because they are all written by man, this is one of many factors that makes that obvious. When the old testament was written people were savages and needed to fear a God. This need has decreased over time until we have reached a point where religion no longer serves a purpose but people are to mindless to give it up.

He is violent in the newer testaments too though. Jews go by the old testament, Christians go by the New testament, Muslims go by the Quran, and Mormons go by the third testament (lol). Reverse the order to discover the order of most ridiculous to least ridiculous beliefs.

OrdinaryAlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Where does the Holy Bible say to "slay all non-believers, especially gays"?

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@swiftbullet said:

Where does the Holy Bible say to "slay all non-believers, especially gays"?

see post #6 . he knows it never says that. he was exaggerating

CitizenSentry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

This is why i'm glad to be an atheist.

Reno117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christians go by the New Testament.

Muslims go by the Quran ...

Chazz85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Christians go by the new testament but I am not sure about Muslims

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrhamwallet: said "Jews go by the old testament, Christians go by the New testament, Muslims go by the Quran, and Mormons go by the third testament (lol). Reverse the order to discover the order of most ridiculous to least ridiculous beliefs."

I put The New Testament as least ridiculous because it is the culmination of the mythologies of many surrounding lands.

I think the Old Testament is more ridiculous because it is insular and xenophobic.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By dum529001

@swiftbullet said:

You act like homosexuality is the only people were put to death for. It certainly is not.

And remember, death entered to world because of sin against God. God cursed mankind with death. Putting the nations of world to death is not different. Putting Israelites to death for their sin is no different.

Homosexuality is a sin. Sin is anything that goes against who God is. God has stated that he made male and female to be together and homosexuality is called a an abomination.

Death is the punishment and just reward for sin. Why? God is the source of all life so if you say you are against everything about God then you are asking to die and be without life. Death is the just reward for sin.

When God brings death into the world or condemns people to the eternal burning torture of hell, which is called "the second death", he is just giving people what they asked for. Humanity's problem is once we chose sin, we left in a mental state of not being able to turn back to God and stop sinning.

This is where Jesus and the Holy spirit come in. God is one but exists in plural terms. There is the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Jesus is God in the flesh, who lived a perfect life and died on a cross as a for the payment of sins, dying a substitutionary death, so whoever truly believes in him will not perish but have an eternal life of peace with God. The Holy spirit is the one who gives people the ability to believe and the Holy Spirit will forever be with those who the Father grants it.

Jesus is the way, the truth and the life. God's goal is to bring some of mankind back to him and make them without sin once again, living forever at peace with God and their fellow man. The problems between people in the world are caused by the problem they have with God.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001:

I think you can interpret the bible without "the eternal burning torture of hell".

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By dum529001

@spareheadone said:

@dum529001:

I think you can interpret the bible without "the eternal burning torture of hell".

Not really.

The Bible says eternal torment.

Shinjiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Shinjiro

@dum529001: Why your God deserves to be praised when he is incapable of accepting his own creation for what it is, and not for what he wants?

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinjiro: and the punishment for not serving him is eternal torture. Killing someone is one thing. But eternal torture is sadistic.

The Bible says the penalty for sin is death. Not eternal torture. In no situation is eternal torture justified.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By dum529001

@pooty said:

@shinjiro: and the punishment for not serving him is eternal torture. Killing someone is one thing. But eternal torture is sadistic.

The Bible says the penalty for sin is death. Not eternal torture. In no situation is eternal torture justified.

The Bible clearly says hell is eternal torture. Hell is called the "second death" and is described as never-ending torment, day and night, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

Its Everlasting torture for violating an everlasting God. Hell is the opposite of the Kingdom of God, which is eternal peace with God.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty:

Jesus mentions Gehenna 11 times and this is a metaphor for a garbage dump.

He mentions Eternal Fire 2 times, one of these times he says the soul will be destroyed. The fire is eternal here but not the punishment

He mentions Hades 4 times which is sheol or the underworld. No fire here.

And he mentions Outer Darkness 3 times. No fire here.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spareheadone: Agreed. The concept of hell destroys any validity of a loving God. Matthew 10:28 says the soul is destroyed in hell.

@dum529001:Torture is never justified. If i violate God's law for 100 years then being tortured for a billion years is not fair. It says that God can destroy the soul in hell. But instead he tortures us? Just put unbelievers out of their misery. Being able to kill someone but choosing to torture them is sadistic.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By dum529001

@pooty said:

@spareheadone: Agreed. The concept of hell destroys any validity of a loving God. Matthew 10:28 says the soul is destroyed in hell.

@dum529001:Torture is never justified. If i violate God's law for 100 years then being tortured for a billion years is not fair. It says that God can destroy the soul in hell. But instead he tortures us? Just put unbelievers out of their misery. Being able to kill someone but choosing to torture them is sadistic.

@pooty said:

Why is torture never justified?????

Violating an eternal God is worthy of eternal destruction. God gives sin its just reward.

God loves people but when people sin, they are rejecting God's love so God gives them what they ask for, which is eternal death, since they have rejected God, the giver of life. People choose to sin and God will always punish them for it. God would be neither loving or just for acting as if he approved of sin. God has given a way for salvation from sin. If people reject it, they will continue to be held guilty of sin and receive the ultimate punishment for it.

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001:

What does eternal destruction mean? Destroyed forever I reckon. If you are never ever ever destroyed in hell, how can it be called destruction.?

What does eternal death mean? Dead forever I reckon. How can it be death if you are alive?

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001:

What does eternal destruction mean? Destroyed forever I reckon. If you are never ever ever destroyed in hell, how can it be called destruction.?

What does eternal death mean? Dead forever I reckon. How can it be death if you are alive?

The Bible specifically says "eternal torment", "day and night", "where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth" , "and the smoke of their burning will rise forever".

SpareHeadOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001: The passage in rev 14

9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,

10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

This doesn't seem to describe hell.

Night and day???

The smoke rises forever

While they are alive they have no rest night or day.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dum529001

@spareheadone said:

@dum529001: The passage in rev 14

9 And the third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, If any man worship the beast and his image, and receive his mark in his forehead, or in his hand,

10 The same shall drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out without mixture into the cup of his indignation; and he shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels, and in the presence of the Lamb:

11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

This doesn't seem to describe hell.

Night and day???

The smoke rises forever

While they are alive they have no rest night or day.

It really is hell.

Matthew 25:46 says:

46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

Matthew 25:41 says:

41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

Mark 9:42-48 says:

42 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea. 43 If your hand causes you to stumble,cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. [44] [b] 45 And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. [46] [c] 47 And if your eye causes you to stumble,pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48 where

“‘the worms that eat them do not die,

and the fire is not quenched.’[d]

Revelation 20:7-10 says:

7 When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison8 and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—and to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. 9 They marched across the breadth of the earth and surroundedthe camp of God’s people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

Revelation 20: 11-15 says:

11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them.12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

Revelation 20:4-6 says:

4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They[a] had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

Isaiah 66:24 says:

And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.”

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001: @spareheadone:

Why is torture never justified

why torture someone eternally instead of death? What purpose does eternal torture serve?

God gives sin its just reward

Yes the reward is death. Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death.......

Ecclesiastes 9:5) For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all

Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

So many scriptures say that the result of sin is death. And it says that God kills the soul in hell. If God can kill the soul then why would he torture us. What benefit does torture serve that death does not?

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By dum529001

@pooty said:

why torture someone eternally instead of death? What purpose does eternal torture serve?

Ecclesiastes 9:5) For the living are conscious that they will die; but as for the dead, they are conscious of nothing at all

Matthew 10:28 Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell.

So many scriptures say that the result of sin is death. And it says that God kills the soul in hell. If God can kill the soul then why would he torture us. What benefit does torture serve that death does not?

Eternal death is still death. In the book of Daniel it is prophesied that in the end, when God's kingdom is established and sin is judged, some will rise to everlasting life and others will rise to everlasting contempt.

Daniel 12:1-4 says:

“At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered. 2 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt. 3 Those who are wise[a] will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever. 4 But you, Daniel, roll up and seal the words of the scroll until the time of the end. Many will go here and there to increase knowledge.”

Hell is eternal torment, eternal destruction, a place of weeping and gnashing of teeth, endless burning, where the worm that eats them never dies, the "second death". The Bible says this clearly.

46 "Then they will go away to eternal punishment, but the righteous to eternal life."

41 "Then he will say to those on his left, 'Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.

42 “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them if a large millstone were hung around their neck and they were thrown into the sea. 43 If your hand causes you to stumble,cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. [44] [b] 45 And if your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. [46] [c] 47 And if your eye causes you to stumble,pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48 where

7 When the thousand years are over, Satan will be released from his prison8 and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth—Gog and Magog—and to gather them for battle. In number they are like the sand on the seashore. 9 They marched across the breadth of the earth and surroundedthe camp of God’s people, the city he loves. But fire came down from heaven and devoured them. 10 And the devil, who deceived them, was thrown into the lake of burning sulfur, where the beast and the false prophet had been thrown. They will be tormented day and night for ever and ever.

11 Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. The earth and the heavens fled from his presence, and there was no place for them.12 And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Another book was opened, which is the book of life. The dead were judged according to what they had done as recorded in the books. 13 The sea gave up the dead that were in it, and death and Hades gave up the dead that were in them, and each person was judged according to what they had done. 14 Then death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. The lake of fire is the second death. 15 Anyone whose name was not found written in the book of life was thrown into the lake of fire.

4 I saw thrones on which were seated those who had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded because of their testimony about Jesus and because of the word of God. They[a] had not worshiped the beast or its image and had not received its mark on their foreheads or their hands. They came to life and reigned with Christ a thousand years. 5 (The rest of the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended.) This is the first resurrection. 6 Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection. The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ and will reign with him for a thousand years.

And they will go out and look on the dead bodies of those who rebelled against me; the worms that eat them will not die, the fire that burns them will not be quenched, and they will be loathsome to all mankind.”

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:

Eternal death is still death.

Ecclesiates says you're conscious of nothing. so you won't know pain or torture. Matthew says god kills the soul so it won't be tortured.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By dum529001

@pooty said:
@dum529001 said:
@pooty said:

Eternal death is still death.

Ecclesiates says you're conscious of nothing. so you won't know pain or torture. Matthew says god kills the soul so it won't be tortured.

In the book of Daniel it is prophesied that in the end, when God's kingdom is established and sin is judged, some will rise to everlasting life and others will rise to everlasting contempt. Hell is eternal torment, eternal destruction, a place of weeping and gnashing of teeth, endless burning, where the worm that eats them never dies, the "second death". The Bible says this clearly.

God's kingdom, the restored Eden, is a place with no war against God, corruption or destruction that lasts forever. Hell is a place eternal corruption, destruction, and war against God that lasts forever.

Daniel 12:1-4 says:

“At that time Michael, the great prince who protects your people, will arise. There will be a time of distress such as has not happened from the beginning of nations until then. But at that time your people—everyone whose name is found written in the book—will be delivered. 2 Multitudes who sleep in the dust of the earth will awake: some to everlasting life, others to shame and everlasting contempt. 3 Those who are wise[a] will shine like the brightness of the heavens, and those who lead many to righteousness, like the stars for ever and ever. 4 But you, Daniel, roll up and seal the words of the scroll until the time of the end. Many will go here and there to increase knowledge.”

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001: Hell is eternal torment, eternal destruction, a place of weeping and gnashing of teeth, endless burning, where the worm that eats them never dies, the "second death". The Bible says this clearly.

Doesn't the Bible say this also:

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death.......

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dum529001

@pooty said:

@dum529001: Hell is eternal torment, eternal destruction, a place of weeping and gnashing of teeth, endless burning, where the worm that eats them never dies, the "second death". The Bible says this clearly.

Doesn't the Bible say this also:

Romans 6:23 For the wages of sin is death.......

It Sure does. Everyone dies the first time but hell is not just death, its the "second death" that lasts forever. Hell is not ordinary death.

I have already given Bible verses that illustrate hell as everlasting destruction, not just the regular destruction, which is why hell is called the "second death". The Bible even says regular death of some of the worst kinds is much more preferable than hell, which is the "second death".

Eternal destruction, corruption, and the wrath of God last forever in hell, "the second death".

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001: I just posted a scenario on the religion thread. I'm trying to find out what happens between the first death and second death. Answer there if you would

Cream_God

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Revelation 4:20: Its never ogre

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By dum529001

@pooty said:
@deathstroke52 said:

Are you talking about the NT only or the entire Bible. Because the OT does allow/condone slavery, rape, genocide. But the NT does not

That's a total lie. The Old testament does not condone rape. It explicitly condemns rape.

The slavery is not oppressive so it is not comparable in any way to the European/America Slave trade.

Even the hebrew word "ebed" means "servant" or "employee" but is loosely translated as "slave". Servants have no ownership of the things they work on but are allowed to take a percent of the profits in order to provide for themselves and their family. "Slav" is the origin of the word slave, and Slavs were a European tribes that was forced into servitude, not given a choice.

Even when God saved Israelites from Egpyt it was because the "slavery" they were under was oppressive. After Egypt, The Israelites still sold each other and others peoples into "slavery". There were laws against kidnapping so people had to choose to be in servitude/slavery and servants were not killed for running away or quitting.

God has never committed genocide. God has never killed people because of their genealogy. God has only killed people because of sin.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pooty said:
@deathstroke52 said:

That's a total lie. The Old testament does not condone rape. It explicitly condemns rape.

The slavery is not oppressive so it is not comparable in any way to the European/America Slave trade.

Even the hebrew word "ebed" means "servant" or "employee" but is loosely translated as "slave". Servants have no ownership of the things they work on but are allowed to take a percent of the profits in order to provide for themselves and their family. "Slav" is the origin of the word slave, and Slavs were a European tribes that was forced into servitude, not given a choice.

Even when God saved Israelites from Egpyt it was because the "slavery" they were under was oppressive. After Egypt, The Israelites still sold each other and others peoples into "slavery". There were laws against kidnapping so people had to choose to be in servitude/slavery and servants were not killed for running away or quitting.

God has never committed genocide. God has never killed people because of their genealogy. God has only killed people because of sin.

Let us see who is a liar.

Genocide: the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

Joshua 6:21

At Jericho: And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword

Rape:

Judges 21: 10-24 They told the men of Benjamin who still needed wives, "Go and hide in the vineyards. When the women of Shiloh come out for their dances, rush out from the vineyards, and each of you can take one of them home to be your wife.

They kidnapped the women who took part in the celebration and carried them off to the land of their own inheritance.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Slavery:

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21)

That sounds NOTHING like a maid or butler

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001: @pooty:

Biblically speaking, Death means many thing to God.

Death of the righteous (Physical) = Rest until Judgement Day.

Death of the unrepentant sinners (Physical) = Rest of sort but describe as a harrowing wait before receiving the wrath of God.

Death even though still living (Sinners again) = Like you or I saying to Somebody, "You are Dead to Me!" except God is the one who said it.

dum529001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By dum529001

@pooty said:
@dum529001 said:
@pooty said:
@deathstroke52 said:

Let us see who is a liar.

Genocide: the deliberate killing of a large group of people, especially those of a particular ethnic group or nation.

Joshua 6:21

At Jericho: And they utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, young and old, and ox, and sheep, and ass, with the edge of the sword

Rape:

Judges 21: 10-24 They told the men of Benjamin who still needed wives, "Go and hide in the vineyards. When the women of Shiloh come out for their dances, rush out from the vineyards, and each of you can take one of them home to be your wife.

They kidnapped the women who took part in the celebration and carried them off to the land of their own inheritance.

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

Slavery:

When a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod so hard that the slave dies under his hand, he shall be punished. If, however, the slave survives for a day or two, he is not to be punished, since the slave is his own property. (Exodus 21:20-21)

That sounds NOTHING like a maid or butler

Genocide targets a group of people but it is usually because you despise their very genealogy. God destroyed the Canaanites of that city for their sin against God.

Saying that you "can" take someone to be your wife does not mean you are forcing the women to be wives. The Bible condemns rape. Every time rape is mentioned, the Bible condemns it.

Deutoronomy 22:25-28 says:

25 But if out in the country a man happens to meet a young woman pledged to be married and rapes her, only the man who has done this shall die. 26 Do nothing to the woman; she has committed no sin deserving death. This case is like that of someone who attacks and murders a neighbor, 27 for the man found the young woman out in the country, and though the betrothed woman screamed, there was no one to rescue her.

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels[c] of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

The Slavery of the Bible is not oppressive. The Bible says so in these verses:

the Bible speaks against mistreating people. Exodus 21:18-19 says:

“If people quarrel and one person hits another with a stone or with their fist[d] and the victim does not die but is confined to bed, 19 the one who struck the blow will not be held liable if the other can get up and walk around outside with a staff; however, the guilty party must pay the injured person for any loss of time and see that the victim is completely healed.

Exodus 21:23-25 says:

23 And if any mischief follow, then thou shalt give life for life,

24 Eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot,

25 Burning for burning, wound for wound, stripe for stripe.

Exodus 23:9 Talks about how God feels about the treatment of strangers:

9 “You shall not oppress a [a]stranger, since you yourselves know the [b]feelings of a [c]stranger, for you also were [d]strangers in the land of Egypt.

Leviticus 19:9-18 says to love your neighbor as yourself:

Leviticus 19:9-18 says:

9 “When you reap the harvest of your land, you shall not reap your field right up to its edge, neither shall you gather the gleanings after your harvest. 10 And you shall not strip your vineyard bare, neither shall you gather the fallen grapes of your vineyard. You shall leave them for the poor and for the sojourner: I am the Lord your God.

11 “You shall not steal; you shall not deal falsely; you shall not lie to one another. 12 You shall not swear by my name falsely, and so profane the name of your God: I am the Lord.

13 “You shall not oppress your neighbor or rob him. The wages of a hired worker shall not remain with you all night until the morning. 14 You shall not curse the deaf or put a stumbling block before the blind, but you shall fear your God: I am the Lord.

15 “You shall do no injustice in court. You shall not be partial to the poor or defer to the great, but in righteousness shall you judge your neighbor. 16 You shall not go around as a slanderer among your people, and you shall not stand up against the life[a] of your neighbor: I am the Lord.

17 “You shall not hate your brother in your heart, but you shall reason frankly with your neighbor, lest you incur sin because of him. 18 You shall not take vengeance or bear a grudge against the sons of your own people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the Lord.

Leviticus 24:17-22 and Numbers 15:15-16 talks about how feels when people sin against him in their dealing with other people and says that all the same laws he gave to Israelites apply to strangers as well:

Numbers 15:15-16 says:

As for the assembly, there shall be one statute for you and for the alien who sojourns with you, a perpetual statute throughout your generations; as you are, so shall the alien be before the Lord. 16 There is to be one law and one ordinance for you and for the alien who sojourns with you.’”

Leviticus 24:17-22 says:

17 ‘If a man [f]takes the life of any human being, he shall surely be put to death.18 The one who [g]takes the life of an animal shall make it good, life for life. 19 If a man [h]injures his neighbor, just as he has done, so it shall be done to him:20 fracture for fracture, eye for eye, tooth for tooth; just as he has [i]injured a man, so it shall be [j]inflicted on him. 21 Thus the one who [k]kills an animal shall make it good, but the one who [l]kills a man shall be put to death. 22 There shall be one [m]standard for you; it shall be for the stranger as well as the native, for I am the Lord your God.’”

In Deutoronomy 10:17-19 This is one of multiple passages about how thinks people should be treated:

"For the Lord your God is God of gods and Lord of lords, the great God, mighty and awesome, who shows no partiality and accepts no bribes.18 He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the foreigner residing among you, giving them food and clothing. 19 And you are to love those who are foreigners, for you yourselves were foreigners in Egypt."

Again, God does not like it when people don't care for others. Ezekiel 16:49-50 says:

Behold, this was the guilt of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters had pride, excess of food, and prosperous ease, but did not aid the poor and needy. They were haughty and did an abomination before me. So I removed them, when I saw it.

Micah 6:8 also describes what God requires of man:

8 He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

Verses such as these are all throughout the Bible.

pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By pooty
pooty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dum529001: My scriptures are clearly cited so people can look them up and come to their own conclusions.

OverLordArthas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers