Do monogamous relationships conflict with human nature?

RuggedMax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By RuggedMax

I realize this question will possibly "stir the pot" by making a few upset while possibly intriguing some others. I decided to do this particular blog after hearing about a rise in failed relationships due to infidelity. Is it natural for a person to remain true to one person forever or are we inadvertently fighting against human nature when we enter a one on one relationship?

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Nah- monogamous relationships conflict with animal nature.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nah- monogamous relationships conflict with animal nature.

monogamy also exist in nature.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: Not with most mammals it seems.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By kyrees

@mandarinestro:

it doesn't really matter. if creatures with lower brain capacity are capable of being monogamous, then there's no reason that monogamy is an aberrance, especially to humans.

PunyParker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

User Lists: 15

As long as attractions to the other person remains ,monogamous relationships will be a thing.
It's all about instincs and sex.

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees: Irrelevant. Mammals are more intelligent than other animals and thus are better evolved to survive, yet only 3% of mammals display monogamous behavior. If mammals are more likely to survive through polygamy then monogamy in humans is something else.

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have no issues with being devoted to 1 person.

Beata

Jmarshmallow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Jmarshmallow
No Caption Provided

Jmarshmallow

Wolverine008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I need multiple ladies.

MakkyD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By MakkyD

@mandarinestro: Humans don't have litters like most mammals, so monogamy might be better suited to defending the few children humans have (or at least should had before civilisation). Also, they grow slower than other mammals, so more indiviual parenting is needed in comparison to other mammals.

Blade_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think so. Isn't in our nature to make our own decisions and do what we want? If so, then being in a monogamous relationship doesn't really go against "human nature" since nobody is really forcing us to be in one, it's something we choose to do.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By kyrees

@mandarinestro:. mammals are in no better way to survive compared to insects, fishes or birds and their intelligence doesn't help their bodies adapt accordingly. there's also the fact that human babies have the longest vulnerable phase of development compared to any animal that humans had to develop society to accomodate that extremely long vulnerable phase.

the fact that lower brain capacity creatures choose monogamy is a way that nature deemed such thing as normal and the fact that it existed for the longest time for humans to observe is a testament on what nature set in place. survival through polygamy isn't even a sure-fire way for a species to endure that long especially if earth enters its extinction phases again or it encounters one of those dreaded species decimating factors like disease or new predators.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

We're human, the ability to form relationships at such a level is what separates us from beasts.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're human, the ability to form relationships at such a level is what separates us from beasts.

a swan would beg to differ.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 the_stegman  Moderator

@kyrees: Who cares what a swan thinks :p

Jonez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It depends on how old the couple is IMHO.

Superguy1591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Humans aren't monogamous animals. We're social pack animals meant to engage with multiple partners to further our packs and add numbers for security.

Monogamous relationships are state sanctioned concepts humans made up when we became domesticated so that property could be better divided.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#18 SC  Moderator

Depends on how you define/apply human nature. Humans are fairly complex as far as behavior, innate, learned, how they adapt and comfort, react, how they settle, how they strive. Also depends how you define conflict in this instance. Conflict in a relative sense? Depends on how you apply the term "do" as opposed to say "can" as in can it conflict? To what degree or circumstance can it? So on.

I say it could, but also no. Depends on the individual, what their priorities are, possibly where and when they lived, their environment and peers and society and their perceptions and knowledge. Those things being potentially important as far as shaping individuals nature and therefore potential for conflict as far as monogamous relationships.

Avatar image for redbird3rdboywonder
redbird3rdboywonder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds like someone has been watching that show "Satisfaction"

BatWatch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

Human nature has more than one natural desires and many of them conflict. Does a man naturally want to be monogamous? Probably not but he does probably want to have emotional intimacy and security which is something he will not get through random hookups.

I could give many more examples, but the point is that human nature could be used as case either for or against monogamy.

Also, it's worth noting that we can answer this simply by looking at what people have chosen to do with their lives. It's not like we are asking how life is on another planet we will never see. We can open our eyes and see that people have pursue both monogamy and polygamy.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Not human nature in general but possibly the nature of some specific humans.

BumpyBoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 20

I am not sure I believe in the idea of human nature as a blanket concept. Something like monogamy comes naturally to some, but not to others. Some people prefer to have many partners, and as long as all are consenting and aware I don't see a problem with that. that said, I am very much a monogamous girl :)

laflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@bumpyboo said:

I am not sure I believe in the idea of human nature as a blanket concept. Something like monogamy comes naturally to some, but not to others. Some people prefer to have many partners, and as long as all are consenting and aware I don't see a problem with that. that said, I am very much a monogamous girl :)

monogamous girl, I'm into you :P

*Cookie for anyone who can get the reference :P*

Mandarinestro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kyrees:

As I have told you before, polygamy shown in animals with lower intelligence is irrelevant. Mammals have the greatest brain capacity for emotion compared to reptiles, birds, etc. and thus the decision to take on sexual partner/s are affected by things such as affection. Mate guarding also comes in but as I have said before also, only 3% of mammals practice monogamy.

Furthermore, there were/are human cultures which allow or maybe even encourage polygamy. So in conclusion, mankind's ability to propel themselves into great emotional states when feeling love have caused them to go against animalistic sexual desires, although some chose polygamy for a number of different factors.

Sorry if I bugged you after so long.

DBVSE7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DBVSE7

Depends on what you believe in.

For me it SHOULD be NOW.

kyrees

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mandarinestro: brain capacity is not a factor for such choices because if it were one, monogamy would have been dead a long time ago. the fact that it still exist up to now suggest that it is hardwired to every creature in this planet. we were not even socially upgraded when we first appeared on this planet and yet the concept of monogamy lasted long enough that societies grew around it.

Lunacyde

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27 Lunacyde  Moderator

Humans aren't monogamous animals. We're social pack animals meant to engage with multiple partners to further our packs and add numbers for security.

Monogamous relationships are state sanctioned concepts humans made up when we became domesticated so that property could be better divided.

Well that's a buzzkill