Do Guys Joke More Than Women?

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Just an observation..seems like whenever there is a joker it's usually a guy. Women who are known as jokers are far and few in-between, and the one's that supposedly make a living at it (Chelsea Lately I'm talking to you), don't even make me laugh.

So do guys just have more humor in their genetics or am I missing something?

By the way, I am not trying to flame, nor make the ladies on vine attack me. It's just an observation and a question, nothing more. Not saying ladies can't joke, it just don't seem prevalent or well known.

Sideslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Sideslash

I've noticed this too.

However...*Takes cover before the rage begins.*

ssejllenrad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's just a matter of taste, I guess. Guys usually have the grittier dirtier side of jokes. But that's just generally speaking.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssejllenrad:

Yes and no. From what I've seen of Chelsea Lately and other female comedians, it seems they mostly rely on dirty jokes, whereas guys like Steve Harvey can rock it clean. The ONLY female comedians I've laughed at hard were Carol Burnett, and Roseanne to a lesser extent.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#5  Edited By SC  Moderator

Its a bit genetics and its a bit environmental. Its not so much the humor bit, but many of the characteristics that go into being what is traditionally humorous. Self depreciation for example is something that all people can do, but a good way to circumvent self depreciation whether intentional or not is to concern yourself with others. Chemically things such as testosterone can affect how and when people empathize, which is to say, men can naturally be a bit more self concerned in both a positive and negative sense when they aren't thinking that actively and in the same regard woman can be a bit more empathic - its a bit like that generalization/joke as demonstrated in Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy and the Point-of-View gun. The Point of View gun only worked on the male characters, because as stated by the Zooey Deschanel character, she was a woman, she didn't need a gun to sympathize and see things from other peoples point of view. Incidentally cultural and environmental factors can play a role as well, since another generalization to many is that English do comedy way better than Americans do, I mean what's up with that right? Self depreciation isn't the only component of humor though, something already subjective, but most of the other components follow patterns that can sometimes be distinguishable as far as gender norms, attitudes and so on.

As more time goes on though such things start to become less rigid and more relaxed so expect more funny females to rise to prominence, as well as more representation from other groups of people not traditionally considered as funny funny. I mean we live in a time where there are niches for religious comedians and LGBT comedians and so on. Also why would the ladies on the vine attack someone for the implication that woman aren't as notable as men when it comes to jokes? Woman do not have a hive mind, gender groups rarely act in unison, coincidentally its not uncommon for people to project such scenarios though, and just like many woman will probably agree with reasons that men are notably funnier to woman in general, you will have guys offended (or attack someone making such an observation etc) in contrast. Its sort of like saying, well Americans don't attack all the Americans that think UK humor is superior. Attacking people for opinions.. hopefully not, but your going to get a mixed reaction with varying degrees of opinion and input.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 the_stegman  Moderator

@lorbo said:

@ssejllenrad:

Yes and no. From what I've seen of Chelsea Lately and other female comedians, it seems they mostly rely on dirty jokes, whereas guys like Steve Harvey can rock it clean. The ONLY female comedians I've laughed at hard were Carol Burnett, and Roseanne to a lesser extent.

I have literally never found a female comedian to be funny..EXCEPT for Tig Notaro

Loading Video...

BlackReaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're just funnier. Most female comedians either talk about men or their periods.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 the_stegman  Moderator

We're just funnier. Most female comedians either talk about men or their periods.

Which is why I like Notaro *points above*

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I don't know...... I have some really funny female friends.

lorbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_stegman:

I get it..finally. Have noticed that women are generally more empathetic than men? Which means they feel more, especially with emotions. Tig Notaro is good no joke, but it looks like she is unable to joke without a straight face, she looks like she wants to laugh. Men on the other hand can do all types of jokes with a straight face because they seem to feel less. That's the main difference I think.

Even Carol Burnett, who was a comedy queen for her time, often cracked up laughing while doing gigs. Not saying men don't crack either, it's just that they seem better at holding in the laughter longer.

Aiden Cross

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

Betty White, anyone? =)

I don't agree. Different sense of humor, yes. The female friends i have crack me up, so do the male friends. So i think it's more about the person rather than the gender ;)

Big_Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12  Edited By Big_Nasty

It depends on what side of jokes your talking about. Now on average men make women laugh more than women make men laugh . Women can be extremely funny( my mom and sister is a riot when together) but only a few female comedians make me laugh .

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By lykopis

Gilda Radner. No one funnier than her -

As for who is funnier -- all subjective. If anything, female comedians make me laugh more and not because of female to female subject matter.

If a guy can make me laugh, it's pretty attractive and I don't know how it is in reverse. Being funny is up there in terms of intelligence and looks in the pairing game in my opinion.

Avatar image for fuchsia_nightingale
Fuchsia_Nightingale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

Loading Video...

@lykopis: True ^-^ I personally like more male comedians to female, only cause I know more and the subject matter they cover isn't gender specific like getting old etc and Things like nick-mom makes me wanna claw my eyes out, maybe cause I'm not a mom lol I'm a nerd so I like nerdy comics

russellmania77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the only joker i know of is a guy n batman hates lol

ya but there are some funny women

lykopis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers