Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By TheCerealKillz

WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!

http://www.businessinsider.com/disney-buys-lucasfilm-for-4-billion-2012-10

Here's the press release:

BURBANK, Calif. & SAN FRANCISCO--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Continuing its strategy of delivering exceptional creative content to audiences around the world, The Walt Disney Company (NYSE:DIS) has agreed to acquire Lucasfilm Ltd. in a stock and cash transaction. Lucasfilm is 100% owned by Lucasfilm Chairman and Founder, George Lucas.
Under the terms of the agreement and based on the closing price of Disney stock on October 26, 2012, the transaction value is $4.05 billion, with Disney paying approximately half of the consideration in cash and issuing approximately 40 million shares at closing. The final consideration will be subject to customary post-closing balance sheet adjustments.
“Lucasfilm reflects the extraordinary passion, vision, and storytelling of its founder, George Lucas,” said Robert A. Iger, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of The Walt Disney Company. “This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including Star Wars, one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney’s unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value.”
“For the past 35 years, one of my greatest pleasures has been to see Star Wars passed from one generation to the next,” said George Lucas, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer of Lucasfilm. “It’s now time for me to pass Star Wars on to a new generation of filmmakers. I’ve always believed thatStar Wars could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime. I’m confident that with Lucasfilm under the leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, Star Wars will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney’s reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products.”
Under the deal, Disney will acquire ownership of Lucasfilm, a leader in entertainment, innovation and technology, including its massively popular and “evergreen” Star Wars franchise and its operating businesses in live action film production, consumer products, animation, visual effects, and audio post production. Disney will also acquire the substantial portfolio of cutting-edge entertainment technologies that have kept audiences enthralled for many years. Lucasfilm, headquartered in San Francisco, operates under the names Lucasfilm Ltd., LucasArts, Industrial Light & Magic, and Skywalker Sound, and the present intent is for Lucasfilm employees to remain in their current locations.
Kathleen Kennedy, current Co-Chairman of Lucasfilm, will become President of Lucasfilm, reporting to Walt Disney Studios Chairman Alan Horn. Additionally she will serve as the brand manager for Star Wars, working directly with Disney’s global lines of business to build, further integrate, and maximize the value of this global franchise. Ms. Kennedy will serve as executive producer on new Star Warsfeature films, with George Lucas serving as creative consultant. Star WarsEpisode 7 is targeted for release in 2015, with more feature films expected to continue the Star Wars saga and grow the franchise well into the future.
The acquisition combines two highly compatible family entertainment brands, and strengthens the long-standing beneficial relationship between them that already includes successful integration of Star Wars content into Disney theme parks in Anaheim, Orlando, Paris and Tokyo.
Driven by a tremendously talented creative team, Lucasfilm’s legendary Star Wars franchise has flourished for more than 35 years, and offers a virtually limitless universe of characters and stories to drive continued feature film releases and franchise growth over the long term. Star Wars resonates with consumers around the world and creates extensive opportunities for Disney to deliver the content across its diverse portfolio of businesses including movies, television, consumer products, games and theme parks. Star Wars feature films have earned a total of $4.4 billion in global box to date, and continued global demand has made Star Wars one of the world’s top product brands, and Lucasfilm a leading product licensor in the United States in 2011. The franchise provides a sustainable source of high quality, branded content with global appeal and is well suited for new business models including digital platforms, putting the acquisition in strong alignment with Disney’s strategic priorities for continued long-term growth.
The Lucasfilm acquisition follows Disney’s very successful acquisitions of Pixar and Marvel, which demonstrated the company’s unique ability to fully develop and expand the financial potential of high quality creative content with compelling characters and storytelling through the application ofinnovative technology and multiplatform distribution on a truly global basis to create maximum value. Adding Lucasfilm to Disney’s portfolio of world class brands significantly enhances the company’s ability to serve consumers with a broad variety of the world’s highest-quality content and to create additional long-term value for our shareholders.
The Boards of Directors of Disney and Lucasfilm have approved the transaction, which is subject to clearance under the Hart-Scott-Rodino Antitrust Improvements Act, certain non-United States merger control regulations, and other customary closing conditions. The agreement has been approved by the sole shareholder of Lucasfilm
Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/disney-buys-lucasfilm-for-4-billion-2012-10#ixzz2AoaG4mHz
jobiwankenobi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#2  Edited By jobiwankenobi

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online

..........*Is at a loss for words*

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By King_Saturn  Online
Disney is beasting on everyone... LOL
Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By Magian

Just let the franchise die...

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

_Zombie_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By _Zombie_

Welp, I'm done.

cameron83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By cameron83

I was expecting them to by Transformers franchise next.....

But star wars,of course this means that (most likely) we will not see the millennium falcon pass galactus,but maybe it will be an alternate universe.But IDK marvel,I know DC more so.......who knows?

Avatar image for deactivated-5d921c81bd12c
deactivated-5d921c81bd12c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

@cameron83 said:

I was expecting them to by Transformers franchise next.....

But star wars,of course this means that (most likely) we will not see the millennium falcon pass galactus,but maybe it will be an alternate universe.But IDK marvel,I know DC more so.......who knows?

Star Wars doesn't really have alternate universes. There are some non-canon comics but the majority is just set in one universe. I doubt they would make a new universe for this one.

utotheg38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By utotheg38
Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#11  Edited By Xanni15

This is good news, Disney is much more proactive in regards to giving fans what they want and leaving well enough alone. They won't get rid of any staff//writers/etc that are worth keeping around so if anything I expect the quality of the content to rise, hell if Episode 7 is coming I'm excited for it

Samimista

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By Samimista

Woah! I'm kinda surprised. O_O

Avatar image for deactivated-5791595859013
deactivated-5791595859013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15 said:

This is good news, Disney is much more proactive in regards to giving fans what they want and leaving well enough alone. They won't get rid of any staff//writers/etc that are worth keeping around so if anything I expect the quality of the content to rise, hell if Episode 7 is coming I'm excited for it

I'm not sure if this is good news for fans, but it is good news for Disney stockholders.

Looks at how much $$ they are raking in from Marvel IP's, imagine what they can do with what may be the crown jewel of sci-fi in Star Wars?

Content is king, the companies that have it will survive and thrive, those that do not will go the way of AOL and dissolve in irrelevancy.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Xanni15

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@Xanni15 said:

I'm not sure if this is good news for fans, but it is good news for Disney stockholders.

Looks at how much $$ they are raking in from Marvel IP's, imagine what they can do with what may be the crown jewel of sci-fi in Star Wars?

Content is king, the companies that have it will survive and thrive, those that do not will go the way of AOL and dissolve in irrelevancy.

Why do you think it wouldn't be good for SW fans? Disney isn't going to torpedo the company, like you said they want the content to grow. Releasing more movies is good for fans of the franchise.

Inverno

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 6

#15  Edited By Inverno

I can see Spoony crying in despair >:)

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online
@Xanni15 said:

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@Xanni15 said:

Why do you think it wouldn't be good for SW fans? Disney isn't going to torpedo the company, like you said they want the content to grow. Releasing more movies is good for fans of the franchise.

Except Star Wars doesn't need more movies, its doing fine with books/games and the like. More to that new movies are just gonna mess up the lore, unless the movies are completely away from the Rebellion vs Empire.
Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Xanni15

@Wolfrazer: But why do you assume it will mess up the lore? Disney is more than capable of just continuing the story of Luke Skywalker or going in another direction. They know how incredibly popular SW is and won't mess it up.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Xanni15:

Until Disney releases any info on what their plans are for the franchise in any detail I do not have an opinion on if it is good or bad. On paper it looks all good and well but the devil is in the details.

Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online
@Xanni15 said:

@Wolfrazer: But why do you assume it will mess up the lore? Disney is more than capable of just continuing the story of Luke Skywalker or going in another direction. They know how incredibly popular SW is and won't mess it up.

They could though still mess it up and have a lot of novels and the like be N-canon. But we shall see....of course seeing someone other then Mark Hamill play Luke is going to be hard to watch. If they decide to continue it that way, if the movie goes in a completely different direction away from the war then its fine.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Wolfrazer:

I see no way Disney pays $4 billion without new movies in mind. I do not follow the Expanded Universe so I'm not really sure what they could do that would be better or worse, I'll leave that to experts on the subject.

@Xanni15:

People are always skeptical when someone takes over a beloved franchise, many times the magic does not transfer as easy as the rights. I think it's way to early to look at this either way.

Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Xanni15

@Brazen_Intellect said:

@Xanni15:

Until Disney releases any info on what their plans are for the franchise in any detail I do not have an opinion on if it is good or bad. On paper it looks all good and well but the devil is in the details.

Fair enough, I guess I'm just judging Disney on their current movies/projects.

@Wolfrazer said:

@Xanni15 said:

They could though still mess it up and have a lot of novels and the like be N-canon. But we shall see....of course seeing someone other then Mark Hamill play Luke is going to be hard to watch. If they decide to continue it that way, if the movie goes in a completely different direction away from the war then its fine.

Well, there are some who feel that Lucas already messed up. We can only hope Disney has more respect for the fans. :]

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By MAZAHS117

O_O....WTH?!...Is this fo realz?

wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#23  Edited By wildvine  Moderator

No. More. Episodes!!!

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By King_Saturn  Online
you people act like this is a bad thing... sh!t, I can't wait to see Buzz Lightyear fight Luke Skywalker !
Wolfrazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Wolfrazer  Online
@Xanni15:  Its not that I don't mind other SW movies, its just...I mean it ended ROTJ on a high note with the victory and celebration and all that. So the movies ended on a high note, and then some stuff was expanded on it the EU. What I do mind however is, the EU being messed up or ignored...but i'll probably go and see Episode 7 anyway and like it due to that I have a hard time hating anything.
Xanni15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Xanni15

@Wolfrazer said:

@Xanni15: Its not that I don't mind other SW movies, its just...I mean it ended ROTJ on a high note with the victory and celebration and all that. So the movies ended on a high note, and then some stuff was expanded on it the EU. What I do mind however is, the EU being messed up or ignored...but i'll probably go and see Episode 7 anyway and like it due to that I have a hard time hating anything.

I understand what you mean, perhaps they'll think the original trilogy is sacred and want to go in another direction. I'm sure they know there's plenty of SW content besides Luke, Leia, Han, and the regular cast of characters. :]

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By buttersdaman000

Initial reaction: NOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!! OH GOD WHYYYYYY????!!!!!!!!! 
After some thinking: Hmmm......Old Republic movie??

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#28  Edited By Dracade102

It's about time George Lucas was taken out of that franchise... I'll give Disney the benefit of the doubt first I guess before I jump to conclusions.

willpayton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By willpayton

Well, you knew it had to happen... eventually. Star Wars = $$$

Lets just hope Lucas doesnt direct, or write... or come within 100m of any production site, or anyone working on it, or anyone that knows anyone working on it.

TheCerealKillz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By TheCerealKillz

People are reacting like when they bought Marvel....

People, they were able to get us The Avengers.

CainPanell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By CainPanell

YAAAAY!

We Can Finally see that Hannah Montana, Howard the Duck and Jar Jar Binks crossover we've ALLL Been waiting for!...Oh wait

superstay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By superstay

@TheCerealKillz:

I'm actually in the middle about the whole thing lean towards "Just Let The Series Be", But this is the perfect moment to post this.

No Caption Provided

d^_^b

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#33  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@King Saturn said:

Disney is beasting on everyone... LOL
wildvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 50

#34  Edited By wildvine  Moderator

@shadowknight666 said:

YAAAAY!

We Can Finally see that Hannah Montana, Howard the Duck and Jar Jar Binks crossover we've ALLL Been waiting for!...Oh wait

@superstay said:

No Caption Provided
MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MasterJohn

This is terrible, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, in STAR WARS! Star wars is ruined! RUINED!

Pharoh_Atem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#36  Edited By Pharoh_Atem

@MasterJohn said:

This is terrible, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, in STAR WARS! Star wars is ruined! RUINED!

They didn't ruined Marvel so why do people think they will ruined Star Wars?

@TheCerealKillz said:

Agreed.

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MasterJohn

@dccomicsrule2011 said:

@MasterJohn said:

They didn't ruined Marvel so why do people think they will ruined Star Wars?

@TheCerealKillz said:

Agreed.

They'll probbly edit out lightsabers, call the EU non-canon, and end Star Wars as we know it.

Avatar image for slacker_the_hacker
slacker the hacker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Shawnbaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Shawnbaby

A little thing I made when i saw some of my friends reactions to this annoucement

http://www.starwars.com/play/online-activities/crawl-creator/index.jsp?cs=smhgp23ym8

also:

Star Wars/Avengers Crossover film!

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By MasterJohn

The clone wars will probably be destroyed.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By MAZAHS117

I think this is great news for Star Wars future as a franchise. It seriously was going nowhere FAST with George still in control. It's like he loved it so much to the point of sufficating it to death, making it stagnat. Under Disney, I expect better casting decisions, better writing, and the most important a better director....I never thought I'd live to see the day ol'George would let go of his baby, let alone SELL it off...that's what's most surprising to me out of all of this.

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By MasterJohn

@SHAZAM117 said:

I think this is great news for Star Wars future as a franchise. It seriously was going nowhere FAST with George still in control. It's like he loved it so much to the point of sufficating it to death, making it stagnat. Under Disney, I expect better casting decisions, better writing, and the most important a better director....I never thought I'd live to see the day ol'George would let go of his baby, let alone SELL it off...that's what's most surprising to me out of all of this.

1. Disney will stop Clone Wars production due to their competition with Warner Bros and Cartoon Network, mostg likely time warner as a whole. I love Time warner, unlike disney-they have very very good business.

2. There will be no more killing/death in the Star Wars movies, it'll be like Mickey Mouse or pirates of the Carribiean, very very childish and silly.

3. The fan base will be stagnated, all those fan-fictions, all he EU, all the novels the comics, all of that has come to a hold.

No more awesomeness, no more clone wars, all childish, UGH! I hate this so badly!

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By MAZAHS117

@MasterJohn...Listen, I respect your points and hope that stuff doesn't happen. But the fact of the matter is that we don't know that any of that will actually happen at all. MARVEL didn't really seemed handi-capped by Disney when they bought them out, MARVEL functions just as they always did, just that now they have Disneys bank account supporting their films...Not getting personal or anything with you, but I think you're having a knee-jerk reaction to this...or maybe I'm too much of an optimist...either way I think we can both agree Star Wars had no future on the big screen with Lucas in control. I mean for Christ sake they were re-releasing the same exact movies yet again in the theatre for the um-teenth time instead of focusing on new material and looking foward.

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By MasterJohn

@SHAZAM117 said:

@MasterJohn...Listen, I respect your points and hope that stuff doesn't happen. But the fact of the matter is that we don't know that any of that will actually happen at all. MARVEL didn't really seemed handi-capped by Disney when they bought them out, MARVEL functions just as they always did, just that now they have Disneys bank account supporting their films...Not getting personal or anything with you, but I think you're having a knee-jerk reaction to this...or maybe I'm too much of an optimist...either way I think we can both agree Star Wars had no future on the big screen with Lucas in control. I mean for Christ sake they were re-releasing the same exact movies yet again in the theatre for the um-teenth time instead of focusing on new material and looking foward.

I can agree. But do you want star wars to be ultra-kiddie like Pirates of the Carribean and Jack Sparrow? Jack Sparrow doesn't even fight! They just have him run away.

Disney shoul stay out of EVERYTHING, except protecting Lucasfilm in legal cases, and giving them money. That's ALL disney should be involved in, nothing more, nothing less.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By MAZAHS117

@MasterJohn....I agree with you. Hellz no I don't want Disney sticking their nose in the creative jar so to speak, but again that didn't happen when they bought out MARVEL. As far as I know nothings changed in the comics and they didn't put their 2cents in Joss Whedons Avengers. I'm not the biggest Mouse House fan either, but I will them credit that they are pretty smart on the business front. From all the articles I've read on this, they've stated everything will be business as usual for ALL projects. Again, I go back to the example of Empire Strikes Back, which was directed by Irvin Kershner and is considered by many to be one of the greatest sc-fi films EVER. A movie not directed by Lucas. Disney just wants to make more movies and expand this whole thing. Much remains to be seen and laid out but I'm personally on "excited" side of the fence here.

MasterJohn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By MasterJohn

Clone wars most likely to move to Disney XD after 5th season..This will be terrible.